• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
In Chapter 2, and just got to the second location. It's got a bike outside. Do I get to use it!?

Cutscene from chapter 2:
there's one with Amelie on the beach. Her shirt changes color for 1 scene lol. Red to Blue.

Mar 29, 2018
When you start running into MULE camps to fuck their shit up because you realize they aren't shit

37a.gif
😂 Perfection

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Alright, booted up the game again. Was at 250k likes last time I played. Time to see how much I gained 👀

EDIT: Jesus. 1k players used my stuff.

TKM

Oct 28, 2017
18 hours and still in chapter 3......

...... This game have by long shot the most boring and awfully designed backtracking ever.

I love Kojima and I love many things in this game and I will definitely finish it because I know it will be worth it by the end somehow.

But my god... my dear dear god... the backtracking in this game is truly awful and I cannot believe Kojima thought that this was a good game design decision.

I didn't want to believe the reviews because usually I don't mind backtracking at all and might even like it if it was done correctly.

But....

The backtracking here is a freaking nightmare....

I had the complete opposite experience. Usually hate backtracking, Dragon Age Inquisition drove me crazy. In DS, I accidentally stashed an Anti-BT thing in private locker thinking it was extra weapon I didn't need two of. Trekked across the world, turned in 3 of 4 quest items, frustratingly denied, trashed trike was out of power, it's 12am and I couldn't put the game down. Hoofed around to build a generator, got the bike working, across the world and back to retrieve the last quest item. No other game has ever motivated me to keep going after a dumb mistake like that.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shoutout to the folks who are building bridges! Much appreciated

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
In Chapter 2, and just got to the second location. It's got a bike outside. Do I get to use it!?

Cutscene from chapter 2:
there's one with Amelie on the beach. Her shirt changes color for 1 scene lol. Red to Blue.
They tell you by codec, you have to charge it first. You'll be able to do it in no time.

smoothj

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Any way to have the camera zoom out like in the first mission when the song plays?I loved that set piece and wondering if I can do it normally.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Hey everyone,
I finished Death Stranding a little while back and decided I wanted to write up my impressions here for the OT. I'm keeping this spoiler free except for the section below past the RED LIGHT BB but everything there will be in named spoiler tags so you can avoid them all or just specific things.

YTi48s4.jpg

The one thing that has alluded me… maybe even us all – is what the hell is Death Stranding about? I legitimately wasn't going to even play this game until something clicked with me when I watched the 7 minute long launch trailer a few weeks ago. Playing this game has been an absolute treat and I will put it up there with God of War as one of my favourite PS4 titles. It's story seems convoluted at times and even by the end can somewhat still feel like that but if you embrace it – understand the terminology and sink into the world of Death Stranding it all seems rather simple. I'm genuinely surprised how much I enjoyed the story and by the end, just how much I cared. It can seem a little ham fisted and cliché at times (and it is) and it can also seem strangely simple in light of all the complex terminology around it. I for one really like the final message it leaves you with, I look forward to hearing what other people think when they're past the credits and can start processing the game.

Characters really drive Death Stranding, they may have.. strange names – but they are often nicknames or 'roles' and you'll learn of their real names in time. Death Stranding is so well acted across the board too, from Norman Reedus to Troy Baker who both put on great performances – I was pleasantly surprised by Tommie Earl Jenkins, whenever he was on screen he really stole the scene. Mads Mikkelsen and Margaret Qualley are two of my other favourites in the cast too and really nailed their roles. While I imagine many of them confusingly reading the lines in the script, I would hope that by the end of things they gained a sort of clarity on it all… like I did. When it all comes together – it feels amazing.

c1TUKKa.jpg

I remember the first time we saw Gameplay from Death Stranding and thinking "Is that it?". I was shocked that Kojima's next game was a very pretty courier simulator. Oh boy… is it more than that – so much more. From the social strand system connecting you to other players online to the nuanced systems which let you approach combat in any way you want, it's absolutely brilliant. I loved seeing all the other structures other players built: bridges, generators, safe houses – all so useful and I too added some of my own to the world and got a ton of likes for them too. That's another thing, likes, they motivate you to actually build structures and place signs. You run around liking other players things and then see 'so and so liked your structure' pop up on the left and it fills you with a strange connection; I love it.

I do have to use this time to talk about stealth and horror, two things which Death Stranding dabbles in and uses to its advantage at different times. Both come into play heavily when you come across BTs in the world – you can sneak by them, choose an entirely different route or take them head on. As you go the game gives you more and more equipment to deal with them but I always found myself running in head first. See, I don't really like horror or stealth in my video games. I can deal with them in small amounts or I like playing stealth games fairly… unstealthy, in Death Stranding, I was no different. I would go charging in on my vehicle of choice, straight into BT territory and quickly find myself pulled into the tar and fighting one of the mini-bosses. I would quickly dispatch of them with my choice of anti-BT weapon or grenade. Then the entire area they were inhabiting is cleared, the timefall subsides and I can carry on. Understandably, many others won't do it this way but that was my personal approach. MULE's and other human enemies which try to snatch your cargo as you try to get from A to B, didn't pose much of a threat to me at all but I enjoyed the cat and mouse nature of their encounters.

oPwTskZ.jpg

Death Stranding has some of the most beautiful vistas… ever. It is striking and brutal in both its approach to world design and architecture, of the few buildings which do dot that harsh landscape. From the lush greens and dark rocks to the snowy peaks this game does environments beautifully. I often found myself finding a spot and holding L1 to look first person and just scanning the horizon at the beauty before me. I was also blown away by the sheer amount of detail on character models, from buckles, different fabric textures and micro-details; this game is a real looking in 4K with HDR on. I hope some of the clear advancements made to the Decima engine make their way into Horizon Zero Dawn 2 because some of the mechanics and systems in this game would be perfect to iterate upon for a sequel to Horizon Zero Dawn.

tA82gYp.jpg

Thanks to everyone in this OT for the constant chats and back and forth messages while playing, it has felt like a little mini-social strand system right here on Era. Kindekuma vestan brokeastronaut tkato Shy Gen X Thanks again all!
I have to say, I'm walking away from Death Stranding wanting more (I will likely dive back in to do some more deliveries) and with an extremely positive reaction. Just like The Outer Worlds, this felt like the perfect game for 'now' and it really scratched an itch I didn't know I had. I can totally see a lot of the systems in Death Stranding being copied in other games in the future, especially its Social Strand system as I honestly feel like that is revolutionary – it's like someone saw Dark Soul's online messages system and then turned that up to eleven.

If you come across this while flicking through the pages of the OT and you're unsure if you want to play this game… well let me just say if you want to play something perfectly unique, a little bat shit insane and are a fan of somewhat avant-garde art and cinema then this game is for you!

lKyYTkx.jpg

Spoilers Time!
There are 14 main chapters/episodes and then a continuation in chapter/episode 15. There are over 60 main orders to progress the story and hundreds of smaller standard missions.

I'm surprised there weren't more weird places or beaches to visit. I think the beaches we do visit (especially the ones set in specific time periods) are really amazing experiences but I would have loved to have seen what some other peoples beaches looked like.

At some point in the game (after you get all the way west) you are asked to go all the way back east again – this weirdly made the game world feel really small to me. Like it took place over one or two small mountain ranges rather than all of America.

Getting to see the full 'flashback' of Cliff trying to escape with BB was amazing. After, we had been drip fed little clips of it throughout the game, getting to see it from a new perspective and all at once was amazing.

It was somewhat predictable that the BB in the memories was different than the one Sam had but it didn't click to me until pretty late that the memories we've been seeing are actually Sam's not the BB's. That was really cool. Also Lou is an awesome name… or should I say Louise?

I felt kind of underwhelmed by the mechanics of many of the boss fights, even if some of them blew me away with their majesty. I will say though… that fighting game boss fight was top tier Kojima… I could have done without the Mario and Princess Peach references though.

Are the 5 figures we see in the sky looking at Sam throughout the game… are they the past 5 Extinction Entities?

They already knew what a repatriate is… so where their others who could come back from death like Sam? I know Heartman kind of does it but not quite.

I love Fragile… she's so fragile… but not fragile.

If anyone out there took the time to read this - thanks. I just decided to splurge my unbridled brain thoughts into a post here - but in short... I fucking loved Death Stranding.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
The game got really boring in chapter 6 after two great chapters. Hoping it will get better like it did after boring parts of chapters 2 and 3.
Nobody mentioned invisible walls in this game I think. I had to pause the game as I could not believe how stupid looking they were. They did not even try to mask them.

i think this started at half of chapter 5 already, i zoned completely out with the "Mama" story...for me this was the absolute low point so far. chapter 6 seems like padding but i am not far into it

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Hey everyone,
I finished Death Stranding a little while back and decided I wanted to write up my impressions here for the OT. I'm keeping this spoiler free except for the section below past the RED LIGHT BB but everything there will be in named spoiler tags so you can avoid them all or just specific things.

YTi48s4.jpg

The one thing that has alluded me… maybe even us all – is what the hell is Death Stranding about? I legitimately wasn't going to even play this game until something clicked with me when I watched the 7 minute long launch trailer a few weeks ago. Playing this game has been an absolute treat and I will put it up there with God of War as one of my favourite PS4 titles. It's story seems convoluted at times and even by the end can somewhat still feel like that but if you embrace it – understand the terminology and sink into the world of Death Stranding it all seems rather simple. I'm genuinely surprised how much I enjoyed the story and by the end, just how much I cared. It can seem a little ham fisted and cliché at times (and it is) and it can also seem strangely simple in light of all the complex terminology around it. I for one really like the final message it leaves you with, I look forward to hearing what other people think when they're past the credits and can start processing the game.

Characters really drive Death Stranding, they may have.. strange names – but they are often nicknames or 'roles' and you'll learn of their real names in time. Death Stranding is so well acted across the board too, from Norman Reedus to Troy Baker who both put on great performances – I was pleasantly surprised by Tommie Earl Jenkins, whenever he was on screen he really stole the scene. Mads Mikkelsen and Margaret Qualley are two of my other favourites in the cast too and really nailed their roles. While I imagine many of them confusingly reading the lines in the script, I would hope that by the end of things they gained a sort of clarity on it all… like I did. When it all comes together – it feels amazing.

c1TUKKa.jpg

I remember the first time we saw Gameplay from Death Stranding and thinking "Is that it?". I was shocked that Kojima's next game was a very pretty courier simulator. Oh boy… is it more than that – so much more. From the social strand system connecting you to other players online to the nuanced systems which let you approach combat in any way you want, it's absolutely brilliant. I loved seeing all the other structures other players built: bridges, generators, safe houses – all so useful and I too added some of my own to the world and got a ton of likes for them too. That's another thing, likes, they motivate you to actually build structures and place signs. You run around liking other players things and then see 'so and so liked your structure' pop up on the left and it fills you with a strange connection; I love it.

I do have to use this time to talk about stealth and horror, two things which Death Stranding dabbles in and uses to its advantage at different times. Both come into play heavily when you come across BTs in the world – you can sneak by them, choose an entirely different route or take them head on. As you go the game gives you more and more equipment to deal with them but I always found myself running in head first. See, I don't really like horror or stealth in my video games. I can deal with them in small amounts or I like playing stealth games fairly… unstealthy, in Death Stranding, I was no different. I would go charging in on my vehicle of choice, straight into BT territory and quickly find myself pulled into the tar and fighting one of the mini-bosses. I would quickly dispatch of them with my choice of anti-BT weapon or grenade. Then the entire area they were inhabiting is cleared, the timefall subsides and I can carry on. Understandably, many others won't do it this way but that was my personal approach. MULE's and other human enemies which try to snatch your cargo as you try to get from A to B, didn't pose much of a threat to me at all but I enjoyed the cat and mouse nature of their encounters.

oPwTskZ.jpg

Death Stranding has some of the most beautiful vistas… ever. It is striking and brutal in both its approach to world design and architecture, of the few buildings which do dot that harsh landscape. From the lush greens and dark rocks to the snowy peaks this game does environments beautifully. I often found myself finding a spot and holding L1 to look first person and just scanning the horizon at the beauty before me. I was also blown away by the sheer amount of detail on character models, from buckles, different fabric textures and micro-details; this game is a real looking in 4K with HDR on. I hope some of the clear advancements made to the Decima engine make their way into Horizon Zero Dawn 2 because some of the mechanics and systems in this game would be perfect to iterate upon for a sequel to Horizon Zero Dawn.

tA82gYp.jpg

Thanks to everyone in this OT for the constant chats and back and forth messages while playing, it has felt like a little mini-social strand system right here on Era. Kindekuma vestan brokeastronaut tkato Shy Gen X Thanks again all!
I have to say, I'm walking away from Death Stranding wanting more (I will likely dive back in to do some more deliveries) and with an extremely positive reaction. Just like The Outer Worlds, this felt like the perfect game for 'now' and it really scratched an itch I didn't know I had. I can totally see a lot of the systems in Death Stranding being copied in other games in the future, especially its Social Strand system as I honestly feel like that is revolutionary – it's like someone saw Dark Soul's online messages system and then turned that up to eleven.

If you come across this while flicking through the pages of the OT and you're unsure if you want to play this game… well let me just say if you want to play something perfectly unique, a little bat shit insane and are a fan of somewhat avant-garde art and cinema then this game is for you!

lKyYTkx.jpg

Spoilers Time!
There are 14 main chapters/episodes and then a continuation in chapter/episode 15. There are over 60 main orders to progress the story and hundreds of smaller standard missions.

I'm surprised there weren't more weird places or beaches to visit. I think the beaches we do visit (especially the ones set in specific time periods) are really amazing experiences but I would have loved to have seen what some other peoples beaches looked like.

At some point in the game (after you get all the way west) you are asked to go all the way back east again – this weirdly made the game world feel really small to me. Like it took place over one or two small mountain ranges rather than all of America.

Getting to see the full 'flashback' of Cliff trying to escape with BB was amazing. After, we had been drip fed little clips of it throughout the game, getting to see it from a new perspective and all at once was amazing.

It was somewhat predictable that the BB in the memories was different than the one Sam had but it didn't click to me until pretty late that the memories we've been seeing are actually Sam's not the BB's. That was really cool. Also Lou is an awesome name… or should I say Louise?

I felt kind of underwhelmed by the mechanics of many of the boss fights, even if some of them blew me away with their majesty. I will say though… that fighting game boss fight was top tier Kojima… I could have done without the Mario and Princess Peach references though.

Are the 5 figures we see in the sky looking at Sam throughout the game… are they the past 5 Extinction Entities?

They already knew what a repatriate is… so where their others who could come back from death like Sam? I know Heartman kind of does it but not quite.

If anyone out there took the time to read this - thanks. I just decided to splurge my unbridled brain thoughts into a post here - but in short... I fucking loved Death Stranding.
Damn, you're done already? Good job dude. Gonna see if I can finish it up tonight. Was fun chatting with you about the game haha! Out of curiosity, how much likes did you end the game off on?

Putarorex

Sep 16, 2019
I finished episode 3 last night. I can see why the game is so divisive, but I am really enjoying it.

It is can be rewarding to see the infrastructure develop as you progress (the highway especially). Sometimes the world can seem a bit overpopulated with player structures, but most cases I am extremely happy when I see a generator or timefall shelter. I am also wondering if there are some griefers out there--one guy planted a generator right next to the film director's shelter blocking my truck due to all the rocky terrain. I had to hand carry a bunch of cargo between the truck and shelter for one crazy timed mission with tons of cargo.

It is going to be hard to wait until I get home from work this week.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I need some help with late chapter 3.

So where am I supposed to take this nuke? Theres no option to deliver it at the distribution centre and if I go to south knot city with it, it blows up the second I walk in

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Damn, you're done already? Good job dude. Gonna see if I can finish it up tonight. Was fun chatting with you about the game haha! Out of curiosity, how much likes did you end the game off on?
Last time I looked I was over 62,000 but didn't look for the last... hour-ish. I'll totally be jumping back in though and I shall check my likes and go around donating gear and making structures for new players!

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

So where am I supposed to take this nuke? Theres no option to deliver it at the distribution centre and if I go to south knot city with it, it blows up the second I walk in
Go to the Distribution Centre South of Lake Knot's Private Room and a cutscene should play allowing you to proceed with the rest of the game. Die-Hardman said Fragile was waiting for you there, remember?

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017

Diehardman told you that Fragile waits you at the distribution center, go to the private room there.[/spoiler]

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I finished episode 3 last night. I can see why the game is so divisive, but I am really enjoying it.

It is can be rewarding to see the infrastructure develop as you progress (the highway especially). Sometimes the world can seem a bit overpopulated with player structures, but most cases I am extremely happy when I see a generator or timefall shelter. I am also wondering if there are some griefers out there--one guy planted a generator right next to the film director's shelter blocking my truck due to all the rocky terrain. I had to hand carry a bunch of cargo between the truck and shelter for one crazy timed mission with tons of cargo.

It is going to be hard to wait until I get home from work this week.

tbh i´ve never thought "oh cool a timefall shelter!" these are completely unnecessary imo, i just press on through the rain. the game gives you tools but most of them i´ve never needed or used anyways.

also i think the game shovels a bit too much into the own game world by now, i am deleting every sign i find at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
Whos dumbass decision was it to make Sam yell out to anyone there the same button as the Like?
I just alerted a ton of MULES as it swapped from Like to nothing.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
if you like at least three of these things you will like Death Stranding
-metal gear solid 4
-Horizon Zero Dawn
-Breath of the Wild
-The Leftovers (hbo series, Mama is in it)

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Mein god !!

The scene where
Higgs licks semi-neked Fragile's face
is the most cringe inducing scene in a long memory. Quiet dancing in the rain levels.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone,

YTi48s4.jpg

c1TUKKa.jpg

oPwTskZ.jpg

tA82gYp.jpg

lKyYTkx.jpg

Spoilers Time!

Nice write up!

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland

Rest at the Distribution Center where Fragile is, she'll help you out. It should be the same place where you got that package from that guy.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Just returned the
antimatter nuke
in chapter 5. The leader told me to f off basically. Where do I go now?

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How to bloodgrenade work to collect crystal, i dont see crystal after killing BT

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Just reached the wind farm and the game is boring as sin. I gave Kojima the benefit of the doubt, even if the story is fun he's always nailed gameplay but god damn am I bored.
To each their own, for what it's worth, I found it compelling right away, but a lot more resources and tools become available to you in chapter 3 that spice things up, but it the core loop isn't resonating, it's probably just not your thing.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
On my way to port knot city after passing those damn BTs,
Asylum for the feeling starts playing
falls, all of my cargo is damaged and I need to restart.
giphy.gif

still cool game.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
my favourite thing about Death Stranding lore is that Sioux Falls, South Dakota was voided out

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Kojima, my man, patch in a fucking option to X out of those BT area mini-cutscenes STAAAAAAAT. I don't want to essentially be made to feel like I enter a mini-game each time, it feels stiff and bad when the whole world is so fluid and open otherwise.
It has to be a technical reason for them. It has to be. It's so fucking obnoxious.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I went way up in the mountains and back...um, there's a hell of a lot more road yet to pave.

I started work on the Tallneck Expressway beginning just outside the Craftsman's place, designated by those *enormous* HZD Tallneck holograms, and I built a Safe House a little further north, right outside this spooky BT farm (a perfect raid spot, imho :) )

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not quite sure how people are generating so many likes. Even if I build in optimal places I don't get many. I think it's luck of the draw as to how many people your building or item is shared with.

How do you do premiums?
For the standard deliveries while you're accepting it (in the order summary page) there's a premium option on the bottom. Navigate right on the d-pad to select it. It's kinda hidden. It'll also apply if you bulk select missions with square and then navigate to premium.