• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else build and place a lot of things in the world only to barely have likes? :(

I give each person like 100 likes each but ive only received 301 total by chapter 3

Yup. Almost at Port Knot and I have 300.

Sucks too because I carefully plan where I put things, I tag it, and I go out of my way to put things off the beaten path a little in case someone is exploring and finds themselves in a jam. I don't get it :(

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I dont want to say that I dislike the game, necessarily. But for a kojima game, I find this highly disappointing. Its nowhere near as mechanically deep and interesting as metal gear solid.

I still replay MGS games to this day. I can already tell this wont be a game that gets replayed often. And maybe never at all.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Still not sure how I really feel about this. I'm more than fine with a slower paced game but I'm not finding he actual act of moving around to very nearly as engaging as it feels like it should be.

Despite the barrage of tutorial tips and amount of mechanics, the traversal is weirdly simplistic. Gripping for balance is seemingly always optimal which leads to little reason to not always have the buttons pressed. If I carry a fuckton of weight I feel like the momentum balancing stuff should be the trade off, instead it seems silly to not make Sam break his back while you just hold the triggers everywhere.
It's not always optimal to grip for balance. There are times when you can sprint in a straight line even with a very heavy load.

Later on you get gear that even enables you to sprint over some pretty rough terrain. You can also use the momentum of your heavy gear to your benefit top gain speed, if you time it right...

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Recently started playing last night. I'm only on Chapter 2, but I'm really enjoying the game so far. I wonder if It's worth picking up and delivering all of the lost cargo I'm finding? Much of it is asking to be delivered back at Central Knot. Is it worth delivering lost packages and going all the way back to central knot, or is it better to just leave them in a Post Box?

If I'm not already heading to its destination I'll just drop Lost Cargo off at the nearest outpost or post box. Entrusting still earns you a decent amount of Likes & ratings boosts. For me it's not worth the time or risk to Precious Cargo to go out of my way for random lost stuff.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You can't used ruined grenades.
So they don't lose effectiveness if they take damage, and they have to reach 0% before that happens?

If so, then just replace them at a terminal whenever they get around 50%. That's what Ive been doing with all my gear. It's cheap and quick.

Oct 25, 2017
Shit. Do you recall where his cargo tends to be?
I found his cargo early on but didn't know what to do with it, so I turned it in with my delivery. When I went back, I had his location on my map, but no cargo. But I did a scan in the general area and found some. I think it might be randomized? But he's located
near the Distribution Center West of Capital Knot City, in between that and the MULE area but up on a cliff. So search around there with your scanner. I believe I found the cargo nearer to the river.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
You need to place the damaged containers on the floor then spray it. You can sometimes spray the ground and move your back into the cloud, but it doesn't seem consistent.

It can only repair containers, not gear or the cargo itself.

Oooh. I was trying to repair gear. Oops.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Are people happy with their baby pods from their collector's edition?

I haven't bough the game yet, and I really want that pod, but I want to make sure it's not a full piece of garbage.

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
So my game says im offline?the option to log in is grayed out, im almost at the beggining, after the deadman gives you a mission.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
So they don't lose effectiveness if they take damage, and they have to reach 0% before that happens?

If so, then just replace them at a terminal whenever they get around 50%. That's what Ive been doing with all my gear. It's cheap and quick.
I hope I'm understanding this then, Grenades and other equipment like ladders and such aren't reparable via spray, once they are ruined they can't be used? If so, I wish they had more durability because they're dying after one rainfall.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I dont want to say that I dislike the game, necessarily. But for a kojima game, I find this highly disappointing. Its nowhere near as mechanically deep and interesting as metal gear solid.

I still replay MGS games to this day. I can already tell this wont be a game that gets replayed often. And maybe never at all.
How far are you

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
is there any way to put gear inside containers?

Basically, I want to stop getting my blood grenades ruined by the rain.
Eventually you'll unlock specifics pouches for grenades and blood pouches. But generally you'll have to keep them in containers.

also, this is a good time to remind people that you all should keep The Collector in chapter 3. He offers a backpack cover that temporarily protects items from Timefall. He's west of the MULE camp that's south of the Engineer.

Mar 29, 2018
I think the most jarring thing about the gameplay early on is that the game literally starts out with you on a bike and then in a car. And then suddenly, the protagonist with familial ties to the current president is too low-rank to get in a vehicle, they make the most important guy in the world (it seems) hoof it around the hard way.
Also a huge dissonance between Sam being an apparently legendary porter yet the player starting from level 1 and having everything explained as such. They even repeatedly say that you'll climb the ranks and stuff but like... Sam already has?

Just a fun videogame quirk

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
There's something cool about being out on the plains by yourself. They seemed to capture that feel of hiking well

Oh yeah, and chugging energy drinks like water will never not be funny to me

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Had no idea how I would feel about this game then I played 15 hours of it straight....

I also don't think there is a way I could explain the game that makes it sound great but am just really enjoying it.

I absolutely love how areas evolve as you spend time in them, especially when you out some effort on yourself to do it!

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Anyone else build and place a lot of things in the world only to barely have likes? :(

I give each person like 100 likes each but ive only received 301 total by chapter 3
I placed a (I thought) really helpful ladder and haven't gotten any likes on it, also some ropes that have no likes, but I only did them because I got to a point with no easy way down that was dumb to even go to in the first place haha

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just started playing, i saw one person put 3 canister like for delivery in the wilds, isn't that a waste of ressource?

Also why do i always get the same guy in my game? Why dont i find ladder from other people?

Also how many like do i lost while making delivery in another city?

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Also a huge dissonance between Sam being an apparently legendary porter yet the player starting from level 1 and having everything explained as such. They even repeatedly say that you'll climb the ranks and stuff but like... Sam already has?

Just a fun videogame quirk
Because he was freelance. Now that he's employed he's gotta start from the bottom.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I found his cargo early on but didn't know what to do with it, so I turned it in with my delivery. When I went back, I had his location on my map, but no cargo. But I did a scan in the general area and found some. I think it might be randomized? But he's located
near the Distribution Center West of Capital Knot City, in between that and the MULE area but up on a cliff. So search around there with your scanner. I believe I found the cargo nearer to the river.
Thanks

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
OK...what am I supposed to do at South Knot City?

How am I supposed to get rid of this fucking nuclear weapon strapped to my back without "abandoning" it and setting it off?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought the game earlier today and have been playing for about 4 hours or so on hard. I have to say the first thing that really got to me is how fucking incredible this game looks in nearly every aspect. Some herky jerky animations at times but they are only once in a while but from character models to landscapes I'm constantly just staring at how highly detailed and polished it all looks. Some areas of the city are a little lacking but the natural environments are just stunning. On top of that the cinematics are equally really impressive stuff especially when the BT's show up and are "stalking" all over the place leaving those puddled filled hand prints in their wake. Much the same the timefall visuals are crazy and all the supernatural stuff is crazy impressive.

The story itself seems is actually rather straightforward despite a lot of the ridiculous jargon like DOOMs and Chiral-this and Chiral-that. I think I have a basic understanding, at least so far, of how the world now works outside of the obvious stuff like everyone is disconnected and shit is really really fucked up. Also the themes are about as subtle as a sledgehammer but I'm finding myself kind of lost in the beauty of the presentation and the mystery of it all. That and I have to say its certainly a unique post apocalypse compared to your nuclear fallouts and your zombie outbreaks. I am looking forward to what comes next and meeting more members of the bizarre cast.

Onto the gameplay and I'm reminded immediately of a more robust The Last Guardian in some respects. Your character reacts to every little piece of the environment and just navigating rough terrain as a puzzle in itself. The controls here are a lot tighter and also fleshed out in a lot of ways considering the delivery aspect. Speaking of that I have to admit I find a lot of the complaints about the micromanagement elements a little overblown so far as its actually rather simple and stuff like sorting out your load can be done automatically with a single button in a second. It is a bit menu heavy but I don't find it overly so and the actual navigation is kind of what I've wanted for a long time in an open world. I haven't really done any combat yet but I found encounters with the BT's to be pretty fucking intense especially as one was stomping around me in a circle as my breath was about to run out before finally wondering off.

There are a ton of systems but they're all based around a couple elements so it all feels rather intuitive even if there is a lot to take in. All in all I had my head wrapped around most of the basic aspects within a 2 hour period and was already getting S ranks on missions. I can see how people would be put off by the game as it expects you to learn and abide by its very specific gameplay style which is tries to make even simple terrain navigation a more cereberal thing, especially with trying to manage both your cargo and actually getting to your next destination. I am now excited to see how the online aspects work and stuff like vehicles.

I do have some complaints, one notably being how there is no way to increase font or HUD size. I sit like 6 feet from my TV and some parts have me fucking squinting. Especially when I'm trying to see whether it wants me to use L2 or R2 to balance my load. You can see Sam's body twisting and tilting but it'd still be nice to see button prompts clearly. I've got some other nit picks but we'll see how those develop with the game. The Monster product placement was also jarring to the point I was almost offended by how fucking blatant it was.

All in all I'm really liking it so far.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I hope I'm understanding this then, Grenades and other equipment like ladders and such aren't reparable via spray, once they are ruined they can't be used? If so, I wish they had more durability because they're dying after one rainfall.
That's correct. You can upgrade some to be more durable by completing deliveries for various settlements.

They shouldn't be ruined after a single rainfall though... they last me through quite a few...

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just started playing, i saw one person put 3 canister like for delivery in the wilds, isn't that a waste of ressource?

Also why do i always get the same guy in my game? Why dont i find ladder from other people?

Also how many like do i lost while making delivery in another city?
those are the tutorial items the game places there so you can understand the concept :p the social system doesn't kick in until a bit later

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I placed a (I thought) really helpful ladder and haven't gotten any likes on it, also some ropes that have no likes, but I only did them because I got to a point with no easy way down that was dumb to even go to in the first place haha

Tbf, I went a really strange way to explore more paths and ended up finding a couple lone ropes high up with no likes. It saved me and I put some more ropes leading further down the mountain. Maybe it'll take a long time but I hope our combined ropes are helpful for someone.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Tbf, I went a really strange way to explore more paths and ended up finding a couple lone ropes high up with no likes. It saved me and I put some more ropes leading further down the mountain. Maybe it'll take a long time but I hope out combined ropes are helpful for someone.
We will be the shepards for others who make climbs thinking it'll be a shortcut and when they find it isn't are too lazy to go back down the way they came!

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
The snow deformation tech in this game is the best I've seen tbh
It's on par with RDR2 for me, looks awesome. I have to say though, the snow sections of the game - my least favourite. Thankfully I'm passed that now. Literally, trying to sleep right now and can't stop thinking about the game. I want to get back to it so bad but must sleep!

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just have no patience for getting around BTs. Especially as I'm on a bike. I just wind up getting caught, fighting my way out, and Hitting them with a blood grenade to clear it out. Then it's time to hop on my bike again.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
How is the whole game a 'blocked scene'?? I need to play God Bless the USA while I run around

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
OK...what am I supposed to do at South Knot City?

How am I supposed to get rid of this fucking nuclear weapon strapped to my back without "abandoning" it and setting it off?

toss it into the tar lake. Hold the item in your hand, press square to swing and let go of the trigger to toss it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Tbf, I went a really strange way to explore more paths and ended up finding a couple lone ropes high up with no likes. It saved me and I put some more ropes leading further down the mountain. Maybe it'll take a long time but I hope our combined ropes are helpful for someone.
Place helpful stuff everywhere you can. Every river you find, place a ladder bridge or a rope. Every rock you need to climb, a ladder or a rope. Build bridges where there aren't any, even if it's quite close to another one. Having multiple easy routes to a place is really helpful.

Put generators in open areas away from stuff, in places people like yourself might explore. Postboxes too.

The more you place, the more you will see what kinds of places generate the most likes.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
It's on par with RDR2 for me, looks awesome. I have to say though, the snow sections of the game - my least favourite. Thankfully I'm passed that now. Literally, trying to sleep right now and can't stop thinking about the game. I want to get back to it so bad but must sleep!
Agreed lol. Just done one delivery up in the mountains that took me a good 34 minutes. This was 34 minutes of literally just trekking through snow and avoiding BTs. Wasn't fun ngl.