• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Are you just supposed to rush and take cargo/container damage during timefall?

10 hours in and why is this game so addictive? Had to force myself to stop playing.
Where can I see stats on time played?

That's disappointing

I'm in your exact situation. 7 and a half hours, hard, didn't die yet, but I was caught once by a BT but managed to escape by the skin of my teeth. I'm loving this game.
We're all talking about DS made a hiking simulator as an effective and enjoyable gameplay system, but from what I've played (several hours, three BT encounters so far), it also finally evolved the whole Amnesia/Outcast/etc flee-&-hide approach to horror. Those are the vibes I get from dealing with BTs: creeping slowly, stopping to scan and chart a path through BTs, holding breath and finding spots to breathe safely, and then running like hell if the BTs get alerted. The BB alarm lets you tensely find a path but you never feel safe and given the nature of traversal, the risk of pursuit is both palpable and also exciting since flight here actually has depth instead of running away.

That vibe might change once I have tools to handle BTs but right now, each encounter has been heart-poundingly suspense and has felt different due to the terrain available

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's funny because the world feels pretty big when you're traveling in it, but then you see the map and it seems too small.

Yea, I feel like my expectation of having "levels" where each section of America would be semi-open worlds, but it seems like this is just a singular open world which means the scope in relation to "America" is scaled down.

ShadowRunner

Oct 29, 2017
Really enjoying it so far. I wonder how much better the inevitable PS5 verion will be, the new controller features like the resistive triggers and haptic feedback seem like a perfect match for this game.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah also the game's story takes place over months but it all feels like a week really.

Also this game world is honestly huge. I've basically built most of the roads but it takes me a good 5-6 minutes to go from Port Knot to the South Knot at max speed on my trike.

Yea, it's definitely a weakness in the story and game in respect of representing the world/passage of time.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
I spent like 5 hours playing this yesterday. Can't remember the last time that happened.

I was pretty skeptical going in but I think I might end up liking this game a lot. There's something oddly satisfying about the gameplay loop, even if it doesn't sound like the most exciting thing on paper. So far I'm pretty glad that I gave it a chance.

Faabulous

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I thought I was going to hate the beginning of the game, but I'm freaking hooked. Played 4 hours straight, taking a break now.

I love it. Anyone on the fence feel free to pick it up, its pretty great.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
another play session down, built a highway, got to the weather station

those hover thingies are gonna be very useful, especially going back to clean upsome areas and get5 stars across the board

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Interesting, so optional hidden bases like from the ludens fan are also adding parts of the map. That good for exploring.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yooooooooo!!!

This wasn't supposed to arrive until Tuesday!!! Had no idea, was inbetween my own deliveries with Sam in the shower and there was a knock on the door.

Others said they didn't realise it was this big and just had the same thing even knowing that lmao. Huge!

20191109_125718-0166j24.jpeg

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Honestly, my only negative with the game so far is BT and Mule encounters. I just want to avoid them completely, but that means I'll miss a lot of containers lying about.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love this game, the gameplay is incredible. I'm not bored at all - it's relaxing as hell to just... travel.

I can see why people wouldn't like it but man, this is a game for me.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
People here seem positive and DS received one of the top 3 highest scores ever in an older outlet I'm reading; but it got a lot of low score user reviews on Metacritic that don't look like typical review bombs.

What's going on?

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Is there a way to actually lock the map in place after tilting it? Whenever I let go of the touch-button the map snaps back into it's default state.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
We're all talking about DS made a hiking simulator as an effective and enjoyable gameplay system, but from what I've played (several hours, three BT encounters so far), it also finally evolved the whole Amnesia/Outcast/etc flee-&-hide approach to horror. Those are the vibes I get from dealing with BTs: creeping slowly, stopping to scan and chart a path through BTs, holding breath and finding spots to breathe safely, and then running like hell if the BTs get alerted. The BB alarm lets you tensely find a path but you never feel safe and given the nature of traversal, the risk of pursuit is both palpable and also exciting since flight here actually has depth instead of running away.

That vibe might change once I have tools to handle BTs but right now, each encounter has been heart-poundingly suspense and has felt different due to the terrain available

Yes!!!

It honestly gave me a headache yesterday when I played seven hours straight, cause I got so tense every time there's a BT encounter. I can't help but hold my breath along with Sam, that's the level of immersion this game is giving me.

Been playing for an hour today and checking the OP while resting in game. Almost 9 hours, still on Episode 2 but I think I just got to the end of it
after a boss fight.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to see -- pretty universally -- people enjoying the game. Friends of mine, people in this thread, and streamers all seem to be having a great time (I'm sure people exist who don't like it, obviously, but the impression I'm getting from everyone visible to me is near universal approval). I was bracing for a shit show after certain reviews and certain discussion leading up to release, but everyone seems to be having fun. I might need to play it for myself.

horsebite

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I wish you could hover over your signs/structures and see how many likes they have. Is there a way to see how many likes you've had on that stuff instead of just the total in the menu screen (other than walking to them individually)?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
People here seem positive and DS received one of the top 3 highest scores ever in an older outlet I'm reading; but it got a lot of low score user reviews on Metacritic that don't look like typical review bombs.

What's going on?
The meta userscores are 100% fanboys, ignore it.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Honestly, my only negative with the game so far is BT and Mule encounters. I just want to avoid them completely, but that means I'll miss a lot of containers lying about.
I've found with BTs, just like with everything else, to take your time and keep the surroundings in mind

usually as long as you crouch still, you can freely look around at all the jerks and squeeze yourself through while holding your breath

another thing, if you ever do get too close, and the camera zooms out and the handprints appear, don't lose your cool. You get a big burst of energy from being scared, use that to hold your breath and slowly move away from the handprints, they still are tracing you by noise at that point

Oct 29, 2017
Currently in the middle of chapter 2, quite the intriguing ride so far. But, about the people you find in the different stations...

In a previous cutscene Die Hardman mentions that reconnecting the stations will allow them to recover all kinds of data, to which Sam responds 'Nothing original, or with a Soul'. So these people are actually 'dead'?, or speaking from another dimension?

The bulk of the story has been pretty straightforward, but this detail nags me.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Sorry if its been answered but how do I equip the Hematic grenades?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

What's going on?
well, one, it's metacritic user scores

but two, why are you asking what's going on? You just said what was going on

It's a weird niche game as a AAA blockbuster. It's the mother! of AAA games. If you love it, you really love it. If it doesn't click, it's a frustrating slog and/or you hate it

Are divisive big-budget games so rare that people feel Iike something must be wrong if a game isn't largely universally loved?

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Currently in the middle of chapter 2, quite the intriguing ride so far. But, about the people you find in the different stations...

In a previous cutscene Deadman mentions that reconnecting the stations will allow them to recover all kinds of data, to which Sam responds 'Nothing original, or with a Soul, so these people are actually 'dead'?, or speaking from another dimension?

The bulk of the story has been pretty straightforward, but this detail nags me.
he's not talking about the people, he's talking about the items that can be printed from place to place, like ladders and the like

he's saying items can be copied from one place to another, but the originals and people can't be sent the same way.

the people you see at places are holograms being sent from underground bunkers

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to see -- pretty universally -- people enjoying the game. Friends of mine, people in this thread, and streamers all seem to be having a great time (I'm sure people exist who don't like it, obviously, but the impression I'm getting from everyone visible to me is near universal approval). I was bracing for a shit show after certain reviews and certain discussion leading up to release, but everyone seems to be having fun. I might need to play it for myself.
Its got an 85 on opencritic for a reason. Sure a small number of outlets outright hated the game but they're an outlier no matter how much Era posters who never planned on touching the game post cherry picked twitter posts all over DS threads.

I think in the next few weeks when things settle down there will be some people who hated the game but it will still be mostly positive. A solid 80%.

For me personally, nearing the end of chapter 3, its not as good as MGSV but it does do some things better and it really is such a unique and strange game.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Waiting and still excited for PC version myself despite of the disappointing reviews, but I came in here and read the last few pages of this thread out of curiosity and it's really nice and surprising to see almost everyone here being all chill and having a good time playing the game. Awesome.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
Oh boy, I think I made the mistake of taking on too many orders at once and now I have to go from Capital Knot City to Port Knot City and the load is 113kg 😬

Oct 29, 2017
he's not talking about the people, he's talking about the items that can be printed from place to place, like ladders and the like

he's saying items can be copied from one place to another, but the originals and people can't be sent the same way.

the people you see at places are holograms being sent from underground bunkers

Oh, I see, I do recall the bunkers being mentioned at some point. Guess it wouldn't make sense to make deliveries for people that are dead :p
Thanks.

Jan 20, 2019
Waiting and still excited for PC version myself despite of the disappointing reviews, but I came in here and read the last few pages of this thread out of curiosity and it's really nice and surprising to see almost everyone here being all chill and having a good time playing the game. Awesome.

The community makes the game, the online part is very good.

I hope more games do it it in the future.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I look forward to knowing what "that part" is.

I'm just reuniting the farther and daughter, just carried her on my back to his place (junkdealer).
Ohoho man, you're so close. When I say hype, you'll know what I mean when you get to it :D

Also that bit was really nice. What did you think of the music playing? Genuinely loved it.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit at these impressions. I'm really curious to see if the good vibes continue throughout its long play time.

I'm not a huge fan of Kojima's games, but I don't think I can pass this one up.i don't have as much time to game as I used to, but if I can get through this in 30 or 40 hours, I might try it.

Are any of the interactions with other players' items, etc., restricted to PS Plus players, or is it all open to everyone?

Jan 20, 2019
Holy shit at these impressions. I'm not a huge fan of Kojima's games, but I don't think I can pass this one up.i don't have as much time to game as I used to, but if I can get through this in 30 or 40 hours, I might try it.

Are any of the interactions with other players' items, etc., restricted to PS Plus players, or is it all open to everyone?

It is open to everyone

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I just had my first experience at getting caught by the BT
The tentacles fish whale thing
holy shit was that terrifying.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit at these impressions. I'm really curious to see if the good vibes continue throughout its long play time.

I'm not a huge fan of Kojima's games, but I don't think I can pass this one up.i don't have as much time to game as I used to, but if I can get through this in 30 or 40 hours, I might try it.

PS+ is not required.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is fun as hell. figuring out a route through the mountains is great. I tempered my expectations long before the reviews dropped but damn. This is genuinely fun.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm sure it has been explained and I missed it but how come you have to carry people who are alive when taking them places?

Can't they just walk with you?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I'm sure it has been explained and I missed it but how come you have to carry people who are alive when taking them places?

Can't they just walk with you?
Because then the Timefall will get on their skin and age them, they don't have the same gear as you and can't really scale the environment like you. They're just civilians after all.