• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's far, far harder to keep your balance when you're over the encumbrance limit, and I'd guess based on the equipment towers that 90% of those videos/gifs are. Try that, then see how easy it is.
It was actually way easier at a certain point as the game forces you to walk at a snail's pace.

Even then, just hold L2 and R2 and you're set. The balance mechanic is absolutely trivial.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Played the first three hours of the game this morning, and really enjoyed what I experienced. The only thing I don't really care for are the BTs. I enjoy stealth in games, but when I can't really see what I'm hiding from it gets annoying.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
I went to 3 gamestops and all of them were sold out. How you have no fucking stock of such a big release on launch day? They deserve to go bankrupt, fuck em.

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of the mechanics are starting to wear thin. The BTs are more of a nuisance now than actually scary. The stamina and balance mechanic is stupidly easy to handle/counter.

There's just not enough meat to the game.

Are there like a lot of climbing options in the game? The actual climbing has seemed like the most disappointing part from what I saw on stream. The environment just doesn't look fun to interact with and climb and there seems to not be many options unless you break out a rope or ladder (which led to interesting decisions but not interesting moment to moment gameplay).

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
I'm lost in the lore. Is there an in game glossary or something?

Last edited:

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
I was able to play for a bit just before heading off to work, really enjoyed what little I got to play, the controls feel great, offloading cargo and carrying stuff in your hands felt intuitive, also the image quality in the real-time cutscenes are off the charts. Can't wait to dive back in later tonight.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Are there like a lot of climbing options in the game? The actual climbing has seemed like the most disappointing part from what I saw on stream. The environment just doesn't look fun to interact with and climb and there seems to not be many options unless you break out a rope or ladder (which led to interesting decisions but not interesting moment to moment gameplay).
I'm not sure. Seems like it's ladder/rope oriented to a certain extent.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
installing right now
can't fucking wait

lady at Best Buy told me someone else came looking for their preorder and they didn't have any more, so she was surprised they still had mine
im fucking special. feel bad for the person who couldn't pick up their copy tho

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Man does Norman Reedus not understand to much monster is bad for you? Games going to end with him toppling over having a heart attack I swear 😂

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
I don't own the game.

Does the social (online) aspect make a big difference to the enjoyment? Is there any way that the reviews could have been better if they were playing it now with more people online rather than two weeks ago?

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't own the game.

Does the social (online) aspect make a big difference to the enjoyment? Is there any way that the reviews could have been better if they were playing it now with more people online rather than two weeks ago?

The reviewers were playing with hundreds of people, and the social system seems to "cap" the amount of peoples stuff in your world, so they definitely got the full experience.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't own the game.

I've got my ass saved a couple times thx to signs posted, ladders placed and ropes so yea it def helps. Doubt it really changes anything tho it doesn't add enough for the core gameplay to change ya mind to much

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't own the game.

I believe it instances you in with up to 100 people and their stuff so I assume there were more than 100 people playing the game so likely reviewers were seeing and using each others stuff. Specifically the GB videos showed some stuff that can only really be built by a large number of players contributing.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the things you're carrying in your hands doesn't affect your weight limit/balance?

They do, but they're not all piling the equilibrium up on your back -- having a heavy thing in each hand is a _lot_ easier to control than two heavy things at the top of the stack on your back (at least so far, early on)

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Shocking but I actually had fun with what I played? I was beyond bored by the gameplay footage I've seen before actually playing the game.
I think I ''get'' the gameplay now, this a game about traversing mixed and uneven terrain, it's a game about being cautious, perceptive and methodical.

If you see a rock in front of you, you shouldn't try walk over it, and if you expect to do so like you did in Skyrim etc. then you will only make the gameplay extremely janky and frustrating.

I fucking hate ''walking simulators'' but this one....I find it engaging and immersive.
The walking itself is a gameplay system with relatively deep mechanics compared to most games and I quite like that.

People didn't like walking simulators because walking isn't fun in video games, they are usually very dumb down and one dimensional, most of the time you just push left stick forward or hold W and that's about it, no wonder people didn't like walking in games. I think DS took an interesting approach to try making it a lot more engaging and grounded.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The several review videos of people falling over all the time are actually ridiculous now that I've played the game. Scanning terrain often and having, like..a basic understanding of momentum pretty much keeps you from fucking up.

what the fuck was all that about
I'll see if the game gets more complex later on with that stuff, but yeah...what the heck were people talking about?

I haven't fallen over once yet, and a few reviews said that this is a constant struggle at the start, but it's really not.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fan art from Robbie Trevino

74861208_10162500083120181_7779186350112112640_o.jpg

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Something just happened that seemed to telegraph a plot point way ahead of time. I read that reveals were pretty obvious, if this one is supposed to have some kind of weight behind it I'll be disappointed...

I don't want to say anything as I don't want it confirmed or denied. I'll refer back to this post if it pans out...

OP
OP
Kindekuma

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how people kept tripping up and falling. That hasn't been an issue at all with me. Only time equipment falls off is either when Hunters grab me or I fall in a river because it was too deep.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
How do you run? I click the left stick and let go, Sam does two steps likes he's running and then just advanced like usual?