• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

twopenny

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I'm really enjoying the flow of the game within the first four hours or so. While I've not had much opportunity to mess with the systems here, I like what they're doing. That said, holy shit the dialogue is stilted nonsense. People don't talk like this...

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
How do I access my preorder Gear?
I've made it to the cutscene where I placed BB into a device to heal it.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not playing the game, so I don't know how much of a spoiler this is, but regarding the next president of the USA - who is the daughter of the current one - and her name:

Is her middle name really America?!

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I forgot aliasing was a thing. Holy shit it's bad during more "urban" areas.

Is the IQ better if I do super-sampling at the system level? Not impressed with the IQ here. 1080p user.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm really enjoying the flow of the game within the first four hours or so. While I've not had much opportunity to mess with the systems here, I like what they're doing. That said, holy shit the dialogue is stilted nonsense. People don't talk like this...
I don't have a problem with that depending on the media. See Yorgos Lanthimos' movies for example, where the odd stilted dialogue adds to their sense of an off-kilter reality. But the issue here is that the world is very much grounded in a logical reality built on the foundation of its setting, our world but ravaged, yet the dialogue feels unnatural and detached from how people might actually speak in these situations

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn I want to play more but I'm still stuck at work...
One thing i absolutely hate about this game is that he suffers from tiny font syndrome

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'm definitely finding a bit odd is the size of the world. First off, yeah it's a big ass map. But I'm most of the way through episode 2 now I think going by the map, it looks like I've covered a gigantic portion of the country but it doesn't feel as though I have I guess.

It's an odd scenario, the map is huge, but nowhere near big enough to convey what its aiming for.

Deleted member 37303

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 2, 2018
So I love Kojima and I'm going to get this either way but I was wondering if it's worth the $60 or if I'm better off waiting a few weeks for the inevitable Black Friday deal? I've seen some brief videos of combat, but is there enough of it? Or is it mainly Delivery Simulator 2019?

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I'm like three hours in and still don't really know WTF is going on in this world.

The dialogue is typical stilted Kojima nonsense. Getting Metal Gear Solid 2 flashbacks. Except it feels 100x more unnatural here than it has in any other of his games.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I'm about 8 hours in and still enjoying it but i hate the menus in this game. Too busy. It takes me way too long to digest what I'm staring at. A new mechanic/menu is introduced every 15 minutes and it just feels like a lot of unneeded padding on top of the basic game play.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
The several review videos of people falling over all the time are actually ridiculous now that I've played the game. Scanning terrain often and having, like..a basic understanding of momentum pretty much keeps you from fucking up.

what the fuck was all that about
Videogame journalist being bad at playing videogames, what a shock...

Dec 6, 2017
US
One thing I'm definitely finding a bit odd is the size of the world. First off, yeah it's a big ass map. But I'm most of the way through episode 2 now I think going by the map, it looks like I've covered a gigantic portion of the country but it doesn't feel as though I have I guess.

It's an odd scenario, the map is huge, but nowhere near big enough to convey what its aiming for.

I've definitely thought that. And the fact that some sort of apocalyptic scenario somehow turned America into Iceland.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The several review videos of people falling over all the time are actually ridiculous now that I've played the game. Scanning terrain often and having, like..a basic understanding of momentum pretty much keeps you from fucking up.

how much have you tried to carry at once? it's definitely pretty easy to fall as your weight level starts climbing.

GreenEarth

alt account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Are the online features unavailable? When I go into the settings "Log in" option is greyed out. Or is it because I'm not very far into the game?

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've definitely thought that. And the fact that some sort of apocalyptic scenario somehow turned America into Iceland.

Yeah, it's not really feeling like the place it was set, kind of making me wonder why he didn't just choose a more fitting setting. That said, I've only been given a very loose idea of how long the worlds been that way or the timeframe so far, so maybe it's been an extremely long time. Really hard to say so far.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
What I will say from my short playtime with it is that the game is surprisingly tense. It's a game that I feel, more so than many games this year - almost expects you to give it your full attention.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
The visual and sound design in this is fucking amazing. Enjoying the mechanics so far, I hope that holds

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Highlight so far was the section from the 2017 trailer. Kojima can direct a tense scene when he wants to.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know what drugs Kojima is taking but... I definitely DON'T want to try.

Shit's hella weird.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Awesome, please keep them coming! :)
You got to compensate for the work game photographers can't do since there is no photo mode in the game.
This year has been a disappointing one in terms of game photography. :(

I'll try as always! :)

APv3plV.gif

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Is there ever a reason not to just hold R2 / L2 at all times? Seems fool proof for balancing.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I just got past the prologue and started the first mission proper. I am enjoying it so far! I'm relatively fond of Kojima, and really my only complaint so far is the expository dialogue and how often characters will repeat things just to make sure we know all the proper nouns. It's kinda weird how everyone talks like the person they are talking to has amnesia, explaining things everyone in this world clearly understands and needs to deal with, but I get why it's happening and it's not that bad, just something I noticed.

Curious to play more later today because I think it's pretty interesting so far!

MetalGear?

Nov 8, 2017

Is the IQ better if I do super-sampling at the system level? Not impressed with the IQ here. 1080p user.
Really? I don't have the game yet, but didn't expect to read your comment, since everybody was talking about how clean it was. I'll get the game, but that is a bummer to hear. That stuff destracts me to the point of just not playing it (ie Bloodborne).

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the aliasing is really bad on geometric structures like stairs, fences, etc. looks great in the wilderness though.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a couple of hours in now, and I can already understand why this game is so divisive.

There is heavy, heavy exposition.
The first main porter mission after the
death of the president
could easily be seen as tedious.
The product placement "monster energy" is a little off-putting/distracting.
The UI is bloted and aspects are not intuitive.

I am engaged so far, though. I personally enjoy Kojima's heavy handed story telling, I can put up with the exposition dumps and clunky writing in parts because it's interesting overall.

I can see how the "game" if traversal could both be tedious and enjoyable. I wonder which side I will lean or even fall on...

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Only played up to chapter 1 where you get the morphine and Jesus f'n Christ. It's already a 10/10. All the cutscenes and the pure presentation is generations above everything else in the gaming industry. It's f'n mind-blowing.
Preach. The opening with the landscape shots into the cutscene and the music over it was absolutely perfect.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
A lot of the mechanics are starting to wear thin. The BTs are more of a nuisance now than actually scary. The stamina and balance mechanic is stupidly easy to handle/counter.

There's just not enough meat to the game.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Likes this you are basically playing the base PS4 version on your Pro. The game does unfortunately not supersample automatically, so you need to turn on system-wide supersampling for better image quality.
Unfortunately system-wide supersampling is not as effective as supersampling directly done by a game, so it might add a little extra blur to the supersampled image. It should however still get rid of most of the aliasing.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Little design choices are bugging me... why don't they have face cover?

Like, why have the hood alone if it would be a simple thing to slip or have an accident during time fall that would expose your face so easily?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the mechanics are starting to wear thin. The BTs are more of a nuisance now than actually scary. The stamina and balance mechanic is stupidly easy to handle/counter.

There's just not enough meat to the game.

How far in are you? Chapter 3 is when it really opens up and adds more considerations

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta

It's far, far harder to keep your balance when you're over the encumbrance limit, and I'd guess based on the equipment towers that 90% of those videos/gifs are. Try that, then see how easy it is.

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I switched my game to offline... The clutter was too much. Sorry, Kojima.

Are the online features unavailable? When I go into the settings "Log in" option is greyed out. Or is it because I'm not very far into the game?
That's... not very intuitive then? Change it to say "logged in" or something. There's no indication anywhere whether I'm logged in or not, unless I'm missing something.

Like the other poster said, it's grey if you're already logged in. I'm pretty sure there's some corner saying "online" in one of the menus. Online component activates some time in the middle of chapter 2, trust me you'll notice because suddenly there's a billion items and things laying around.