• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't know how sensitive the triggers need to be, but a lot of the gameplay involves using the triggers to adjust your balance so it sounds like you wouldn't be able to play this

I have a question. Why is tiny text still a thing in video games? I can't read the text in this. Control had the same issue and I had to stop playing it, which was disappointing because I was really enjoying it.

It's such a dumb accessibility oversight, unless there's an accessibility menu here that I've missed

There isn't any other settings. It's another game with shitty text size. For fuck sake, this is really annoying when games do this.

codemnk

Oct 30, 2017
So I caved and bought the game, and so far I'm enjoying my time with it. I just started chapter 3. The traversal mechanics feel interesting and I was surprisingly engaged the first few hours just trekking here and there with cargo on my back. The BT moments felt tense, and never dragged on for too long which is a positive. I particularly enjoy the planning that goes into delivering your cargo - the selection of what tools go where, which to take with me, finding a good route to take and so on.

Most of the rest falls flat for me though. The music is good in general, although I think sometimes it's a little much. The subtle, poignant score of BotW evoked more in me than the Indie music or whatever it is you get blasted with after finishing a set piece. Not that it's bad by any means but it's just not always working for me.
The story is all right, although it's not gripping me by any means. Worse though, I do not care one iota about any of the characters, and I don't think the game is motivating the player very well trying to 'connect' all of America again, when all you see of America is just one boring hologram dude after another. Why do I care about these people? Why do I care about Amelie? The NPC's letters all sound alike, with the same empty platitudes as if sent from the same person, and anyway except for Sam's shenanigans in his room all the characters have the charisma of a sodden towel. Their looks range from weird to intriguing, but there's just nothing behind it for me.

Buuuut I'm just starting with chapter 3 so there's plenty of time for these things to pick up. And I read already that it's getting better from here on out, so I'm looking forward to that.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching Giant Bomb's early impressions contrast with their late impressions makes me really worried about this, and I'm already seeing it here. I am waiting for the honeymoon period to end to see what people think after some time has passed.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
So should I be carrying all 4 of these ladders?
Probably not. I did to start with, but they add a lot of weight and you almost certainly don't need them all. I've started rolling with a hook strapped to one hip and a ladder to the other. Everything else is cargo space.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watching Giant Bomb's early impressions contrast with their late impressions makes me really worried about this, and I'm already seeing it here. I am waiting for the honeymoon period to end to see what people think after some time has passed.

?.... Almost everyone at GB either outright disliked or was lukewarm on the game from the start.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I realise from looking at some videos of where I've got up to that the traversal (at least at the beginning) is even more forgiving than I'd realised..

..going about a third of the pace in general and I kinda dug it? Assumed if I pushed it that I'd fall so just kept slow and steady and enjoyed the walk without pushing or questioning it.

I see people in the intro walk just running around like they would in Horizon, over rocks and large bumps, whatever. Whereas I was scanning every so often at the beginning and then carefully walking and edging my way around the rocks and parts of the landscape. The visual landscape is a great guide to how you can traverse (though the scan looks so cool I can't resist sometimes) and going at it as I would IRL seemed to pay off for me even if I could have stomped and run over most things in half the time.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Looking forward to picking this up tomorrow. In for the ride if I love it or hate it! Kojima first new IP in a very long time is a big deal for me personally.

I always find posts like this amusing. Like ultimately why does it matter either way?

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
I lol'd at the overuse of emojis in the emails.

Some things never change, even in the apocalypse.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
You won't need to. The worst part of the game is the beginning hours. After that things open up dramatically. So if anyone here is wondering - once you get to Chapter 4 you've passed the so called slog.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
m7Uf6sR.jpg

tumblr_lofq36eO3T1qlarkho1_500.gif

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Of course. About 35 to 40 hours it took me.

I want to urge everyone to be careful with what you say in this thread about later in the game. There comes a point - you'll know it when it happens to you - thats so cool to experience for the first time yourself. Please don't spoil it here, at least not in the first few days!
WElp, I'm out. I'll be back after I finish the game.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
The first thing out of Dan's mouth when they were allowed to talk about it on Nov 1 was "it fucking sucks". Abby also mentioned disliking it on the podcast.
I'm talking about the video they made of their very first time with the game. You can find it on their website.

They are excited and into the things it seems to be trying to do, then they skip ahead to the end where they have a different opinion. That's what the other user was talking about

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did they love the game at first?
Dan was really excited. I wouldn't say love, but I think they were (with the exception of probably Abby) at least intrigued.

?.... Almost everyone at GB either outright disliked or was lukewarm on the game from the start.
See above.

Looking forward to picking this up tomorrow. In for the ride if I love it or hate it! Kojima first new IP in a very long time is a big deal for me personally.

I always find posts like this amusing. Like ultimately why does it matter either way?
Because I don't have $60 to just throw around, and given my limited time nowadays, I would prefer to maximize my enjoyment of the 50 hours it would take to complete this? Why read reviews?

You won't need to. The worst part of the game is the beginning hours. After that things open up dramatically. So if anyone here is wondering - once you get to Chapter 4 you've passed the so called slog.
How long does it take to get to chapter 4?

ZeroNr

Oct 20, 2019
User reviews on metacritic are really showing the "divisines" of the game. 6.1 with almost all 10s and 1s. I love it so far.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
I can't see why someone would say that this game "fucking sucks", like i figure this game is odd but cmon...overreaction as it's worst...

Can't wait to get home and boot another set of deliveries

Oct 2, 2018
I dont even fucking know what this game is. lol. Its like this weird walking simulator.

Of course. About 35 to 40 hours it took me.

I want to urge everyone to be careful with what you say in this thread about later in the game. There comes a point - you'll know it when it happens to you - thats so cool to experience for the first time yourself. Please don't spoil it here, at least not in the first few days!

Yup. Not coming back to this thread...

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
User reviews on metacritic are really showing the "divisines" of the game. 6.1 with almost all 10s and 1s. I love it so far.

That's more going to be raging fanboyism than actual reviews. The game's been out for less than a day, and took me just under 40 hours to finish for review.

Jan 20, 2019
If the beggining is the worst part, then that was to be some incredible shit because 4 hours in and im good. Just wish the game was a bit harder, because the hard dificult is really easy even with bt in.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
After playing for about an hour I quite like it. Definitely haven't played anything like it before.

Oct 25, 2017
The first thing out of Dan's mouth when they were allowed to talk about it on Nov 1 was "it fucking sucks". Abby also mentioned disliking it on the podcast.

They did an early & late game impressions video and were very excited going into it. They recorded literally the first time they started it. (End of the video is spoilery obv)

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I'm at chapter 3 right now, but man if people are calling that a slog then I'm expecting Mad Max Fury Road from chapter 4 onward.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Will I be able to wait untill christmas to get this...? It will be a big test of will. I'll probably fail.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Because I don't have $60 to just throw around, and given my limited time nowadays, I would prefer to maximize my enjoyment of the 50 hours it would take to complete this? Why read reviews?

I totally understand not wanting to waste your money on something you don't like.

I personally have not cared about reviews for probably 15 years at this point I know what I like and can tell based on videos if the game is for me.

The amusing thing for me is I would argue almost every game has a honey moon period and that you will always get a good percentage that won't like something or eventually won't like something. I also wouldn't use one source as a be all end all for forming an opinion I guess.

ZeroNr

Oct 20, 2019
Why do people here care so much about giantbomb? They all hated the game and represent the minority of the reviews.