• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Anyone know of a way to play online again if you start it up in rest mode?

Have to keep shutting the game down again and restarting

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
lol seems like everybody will beat the game before my copy is delivered this afternoon. came into the thread expecting mostly "omg can't wait" posts

hopefully today goes fast. been awhile since i partook in a big day 1 release, i'm getting the feels maaan

rude

Oct 25, 2017
The several review videos of people falling over all the time are actually ridiculous now that I've played the game. Scanning terrain often and having, like..a basic understanding of momentum pretty much keeps you from fucking up.

what the fuck was all that about

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
So I just finished a mission with a C grade, cos I got ambushed last minute by BTs, and cratered and then my cargo was obviously in bad shape. Is there no way to redo it for a better score? Or Do I have that shameful mark on my card forever, lol? Couldn't see an option to do over

Also , for the repair spray, do I have to take all the cargo off my back and then spray it?

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Can't wait to start the game :D
1573209769-ll.jpeg

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
While not hard, the
first boss fight was damn cool. How did they pull that game off on a PS4? Seriously it's impressive as hell.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
It's installing and I have off from work today and the weekend ahead. I look forward to diving in and being part of the initial playerbase.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Oh my that first encounter with the BT's had me more tense than I'd been in a while, yeesh.
Incredible atmosphere, can't wait to jump back in after work as so far this is ticking all the boxes for me.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
The several review videos of people falling over all the time are actually ridiculous now that I've played the game. Scanning terrain often and having, like..a basic understanding of momentum pretty much keeps you from fucking up.

what the fuck was all that about

I thought the same thing too. Critics made it out to be some QWOP level of bullshit but now that I've started playing it, traversal isn't that hard. I found my groove after a few sessions and now I find it relaxing.

Dark1x's comments about the game were spot on. I think people are just used to open world games where you can point the stick forward and check out.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The dynamic theme is quite nice! Might finally replace my FFVII dynamic theme for a bit...

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
seriously, if someone loves videogames and plays for a long time and can´t muster up the motivation to play through this game or doesn´t understand what this game is about or tries to do..i don´t know what to say.

this game makes several review outlets look rather idiotic, especially after praising the bog standard "The Outer Worlds"
this game here is really out of this world lol

Spooksy

Oct 28, 2017
This is not a story spoiler but I'm going to mark it just in case: something really weird happened gameplay wise and I'm wondering if it happened to anyone else:

A piece of cargo started talking to me.

I was mashing the touch pad to like a postbox and was too far away, causing Sam to call out "My name's Sam!". Except this time there was a faint response: "Hey my name's Sam too!" I looked around for a person, calling out and getting responses until I realized the voice was coming from a piece of cargo on the ground. Destroyed tranquilizers. They were destroyed so I just left them initially but now... I don't know what to do with them. I can't deliver them because they're destroyed! I don't know what to do, I'm just carrying the destroyed box around because I don't want to abandon him. After picking them up there was no longer a response when I called out, so it was definitely coming from the cargo.

Has this happened to anyone else?? If it gets explained later just let me know, no spoilers please.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Also forgot to mention - on the way to deliver the 'package' you receive from the first mission in Bridges, the first time you're wandering with the Social Strand system in play? Fucking joy.

Like wow, what a feeling. Just wandering with the music coming in and after a bit spotting a bridge from another player - "Igor". It doesn't save me much, just getting wet but it's nice. As I continue I see another one and use it. Then up ahead I see a third, but that's not for me as I want to explore around the right side of the hill. So I branch away and commit to the path I set out to explore.

A few minutes later, I see an assortment of ladders leading to a rope, to the top of the hill up the side of a cliff. No way. So I scramble toward them and there, roughly placed, is an easy and accessible path to the top. Who was it? Igor again.

Just feeling like you're following in the footsteps of some past traveller is such a subtle but wonderful thing. The isolation and loneliness among the beautiful wild landscape is amazing, but to have it occasionally perforated by the signs and aid of a wanderer once past really is sublime.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is not a story spoiler but I'm going to mark it just in case: something really weird happened gameplay wise and I'm wondering if it happened to anyone else:

I was mashing the touch pad to like a postbox and was too far away, causing Sam to call out "My name's Sam!". Except this time there was a faint response: "Hey my name's Sam too!" I looked around for a person, calling out and getting responses until I realized the voice was coming from a piece of cargo on the ground. Destroyed tranquilizers. They were destroyed so I just left them initially but now... I don't know what to do with them. I can't deliver them because they're destroyed! I don't know what to do, I'm just carrying the destroyed box around because I don't want to abandon him. After picking them up there was no longer a response when I called out, so it was definitely coming from the cargo.

Has this happened to anyone else?? If it gets explained later just let me know, no spoilers please.
It's not cargo. It was another player.

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019

That was "another player" in the area. If you looked around you would see their icon flashing, then you'd be able to go up to them and give them Likes. Kinda neat feature!

Plum

May 31, 2018
seriously, if someone loves videogames and plays for a long time and can´t muster up the motivation to play through this game or doesn´t understand what this game is about or tries to do..i don´t know what to say.

this game makes several review outlets look rather idiotic, especially after praising the bog standard "The Outer Worlds"
this game here is really out of this world lol

The game's good but lets not start shitting on review sites (or other people generally) in here for having a different opinion to you.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I can't believe I'm walking, looking at the ground and planning how to move around it similar to how I would in real life. Finding the routes through rocks and around. It feels.. natural? In a way that I wasn't anticipating, but it adds so much to traversal. Massively aided by everything looking exactly like real life when it comes to the landscapes. I grew up pretty much on the open forest and heathland in the UK and enjoy walking across it to this day, and the fact my head in game is surveying the ground exactly as I would when looking for my own path to walk - with the same considerations for minor rocks and bumps in the ground - is pretty nuts.

Sounds so mundane and minor but it's really effective.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
So what happens months/years down the line when everywhere is filled with ladders/ropes/bridges/roads?

The entire gameplay loop is traversing the terrain, but it's meaningless when players have already left you the tools to do so.

Can you imagine getting to a boss in Dark Souls and it's already dead because another player came in and killed it for you?

pharmboy044

Oct 27, 2017
Dumb question but is there a BTS video included with the collectors edition? If not, anyone know if PlayStation is planning to release a BTS video for this game like they did with TLOU and the new GOW?

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what happens months/years down the line when everywhere is filled with ladders/ropes/bridges/roads?

The entire gameplay loop is traversing the terrain, but it's meaningless when players have already left you the tools to do so.

Can you imagine getting to a boss in Dark Souls and it's already dead because another player came in and killed it for you?
You stuff degrades. So that's not going to happen.

And you Dark Souls analogy is a poor one, as the online isn't the same.
Dumb question but is there a BTS video included with the collectors edition? If not, anyone know if PlayStation is planning to release a BTS video for this game like they did with TLOU and the new GOW?
It's included.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Played 4 hours this morning, how the hell people are finding it boring ? there is so much to watch/do it's crazy....

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
You stuff degrades. So that's not going to happen.

And you Dark Souls analogy is a poor one, as the online isn't the same.

Ah, I didn't know it degraded over time!
But the analogy wasn't to do with the online structure, but the core mechanic of the game basically being already done for you by someone else.

ZeroNr

Oct 20, 2019
Yeah this game is fucking amazing. Played 1.5 hours. Stopped in the first BT encounter. So far cant understand what the negative reviews are about. Really liked hiking throught the terrain. Never played a game like this. And the cutscenes so far is probably among the best ive seen.

My favorite game this year is Sekiro, followed by Remake 2. I can see liking Death Stranding more than Sekiro if the game manages to keep this quality.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The concept of mashing the "like" button like there's no tomorrow is as bizarre as it is satisfying.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Yeah this game is fucking amazing. Played 1.5 hours. Stopped in the first BT encounter. So far cant understand what the negative reviews are about. So far really liked hiking throught the terrain. Never played a game like this. And the cutscenes and story so far is probably among the best ive seen.

I mean the reviews were from people who finished the game as opposed to people who only played 1.5 hours.

I do agree that it's a great opener but maybe wait a bit before dismissing other people's opinions (or don't dismiss other people's opinions lol)

Spooksy

Oct 28, 2017
It's not cargo. It was another player.
That was "another player" in the area. If you looked around you would see their icon flashing, then you'd be able to go up to them and give them Likes. Kinda neat feature!

I'm almost certain it's coming from the cargo though, like there's no response until I place the cargo back on the ground. If I'm carrying it there's no response, and when I move the cargo somewhere else the response still comes from it. Maybe it's a weird bug? I recorded a video:

edit: I'm just now noticing the green glow in menus and on the cargo as well, maybe this is some mechanic I don't understand yet?

Oct 2, 2018
I somehow managed to pass out during the cutscene when Sam meets Guillermo del toro and now I gotta load an old save and do it all over again

Kohima sure loves his cutscenes