• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BubbaMc

Oct 30, 2017
Do we need PS Plus to enable online functions? I.e. seeing where other people have been and collecting their lost cargo etc.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Just played the first prologue bit and... yep, I need a Pro. That aliasing is distracting as fuck.

Also need a better TV so I might just sit on the game for a bit and play it whenever I've got both. Really feels like I'm not getting the 'full' experience at the moment.

And Low Roar is my absolute jam (thanks to Kojima for introducing me to them back in 2016) so really good to hear their song being used for the intro.

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have the game yet but was wondering if it would be a good idea to get caught by the BTs on purpose so you can fight the catchers? I know you get chiral crystals for beating them, what else do you get? Would it be worth it to farm them?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Wow fucking wow fucking wow. 15 hours in and this game is incredible every single step of the way. It's not letting up, not slowing down. I can't believe how much I'm enjoying it tbh as it's gone above and beyond what I thought it'd be all about. I need to go to sleep already but it's so hard to put down. Sadly I'll barely have any time to play tomorrow but at least there's the weekend......
This game....... It's something else.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I pre-ordered the steelbook from Best Buy and it said it would arrive on release day, but my tracking is showing it arriving next week. sux

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Is there at least something like timepressure to deliver the cargo in missions?

I still don't understand how the missionstructure is after having watched a lot of reviews... can you even fail to deliver and subsequentially do you have to restart the mission if you loose too much?

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
ResetEra impressions make me want to play this game more than ever! Hope to find it with good price here in Iran and buy it today or tomorrow.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I only played for like three hours so far, but I'm really enjoying what I played. I'm not thrilled with the balance mechanic but everything else seems great. It's so weird to play a Kojima game that isn't Metal Gear, though.

I understand why the balance mechanic might annoy people, but it`s really not bad. If you feel like you might fall any second, just press Circle a couple of times. You won`t fall while crouching (as long as you `re not crouching downhill).

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Played about five and a half hours tonight and absolutely loving it. Planning routes and what to bring and the active balancing all really make the traversal way more compelling than many of the outlets make it out to be. Built my first charge station next to a dead bike and drove it all the way to the first city. What would have been a 45 minute trek on foot was accomplished in 7 minutes. Felt good planning an effective route and making good time.

Really enjoying the story so far, even if it is very exposition heavy.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I understand why the balance mechanic might annoy some people but it`s really not bad. If you feel like you might fall any second, just press Circle a couple of times. You won`t fall while crouching, as long as you `re not crouching downhill.
That's... actually helpful. I haven't really had any close calls since I tend to hold L2 and R2 a lot by default, but sometimes it's easy to lose balance depending on what you're carrying.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Best looking game on consoles? I think so. I'm super impressed by the presentation, how clean the image is.

Also reviewers called this game "unique" "one of a kind" "weird game" and I honestly thought it was pretentious. I've been gaming for a long time now and I play a lot of games per year, also im a big fan of Kojima, so seeing it called unique and weird i thought: "there's no way i havent seen this before or there's no way it gets weirder than anything previously done by Kojima" and IT IS, its a really unique game so far and im loving it 100%.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
One thing I don't quite understand, if online aspects include things like roads and shelters built by other players and the craters from void outs - won't that dramatically change the game for anyone buying it (say) a year from now? So it might end up that it's just like full of craters and roads?

From watching some of the videos this seems to have a bit of a No Mans Sky vibe to it - like a great game to chillax with?

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
I'm watching someone stream it right now and man, this looks right up my alley. Do reviewers just get bored when they don't have something to hit?
Gonna have to wait for it to go on sale before I can afford it though.. already spent my money on Pokemon for the month.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I understand why the balance mechanic might annoy people, but it`s really not bad. If you feel like you might fall any second, just press Circle a couple of times. You won`t fall while crouching (as long as you `re not crouching downhill).
Holding grip (L2 and R2 together) any time you are on perilous terrain with a heavy load makes it almost impossible to fall. It will use stamina though.

Bacchus

Oct 30, 2017
Have to join the chorus here and say that after the first few hours, I'm really enjoying this. The traversal has this layered interplay of micro and macro planning that reminds me of real hiking in a way I haven't really experienced in a game before. You're simultaneously managing balance, moving around small obstacles, climbing etc whilst also observing the landscape in front of you and working out the best route up that mountain or across that river. On top of that you have the constant positive feedback of the beautiful evolving vistas. It's honestly super engaging for me so far. The only other game to scratch this kind of itch for me has been BoTW, but then only occasionally (mainly when climbing something big).

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Do reviewers just get bored when they don't have something to hit?
They get bored when your 50th delivery is the same as first and literally nothing changes until you connect to the chiral network.
One thing I don't quite understand, if online aspects include things like roads and shelters built by other players and the craters from void outs - won't that dramatically change the game for anyone buying it (say) a year from now? So it might end up that it's just like full of craters and roads?

From watching some of the videos this seems to have a bit of a No Mans Sky vibe to it - like a great game to chillax with?
There are only 16 or so people on the "server" and all of them are probably playing when you do.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I played a little bit more this morning, so I'm up to a total of about 4/5 hours played - although I haven't pushed as far as Port Knot City yet. I don't know where people are coming from saying it's a slow or terrible start; I loved the first few cutscene-heavy hours. I barely even paused to sip my drink, I was that enrapt.

When it comes to actually playing the game, though, I've got a few concerns:
  • The timefall areas seem absolutely trivial to bypass. I'm playing on hard, and all you need to do is crouch, walk slowly, and ping every now and then to make sure you aren't walking into a BT. Obviously container degradation is an issue with the rain, but that's really the only "challenge" to it. I hope these get more tense later on, otherwise I can see literally never getting caught.
  • Tied to that, I'm hoping I eventually get a way to identify timefall areas on the map so that I can plan a route around them. Right now - unless I'm overlooking something - there's no way to distinguish, from the map, which areas have timefall and which ones don't. Players are putting signs down, though, which helps.
  • The wording around entrusting vs. delivering lost cargo is very confusing. The description for postboxes makes it sound like you use them to deliver lost cargo, but actually you just use them as a place to entrust cargo to to other people to pick up and then deliver.
  • I don't understand what resins do. I picked a bunch up, took them back to Central Knot City, and the only option I have for them is to put them in either my private locker or the shared locker.
If that sounds like I'm not enjoying the game, trust me, I am. I'm just a bit unsure on how a few of the different systems interact.
Resins can build things like climbing anchors or ladders can't remember which one

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Hey everyone, do I need PS Plus to pla...... I'M KIDDING! :D

I'm actually considering going home to "work" from home.. I'm so excited to play this.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So if I put somethijng in my private locker you can only get it back if you visit that place again?

Seems like a pain.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone found any fun Easter eggs yet?
I found three things that could be Easter eggs to MGS

- When Deadman is explaining things on your first visit to the private room and says it was "Game Over" for everyone, the Game Over font that appears on the map of America is pretty much exactly MGS'
- Mama says "kept us waiting, didn't you?" Or something along those lines when you deliver one of the first cargos
- of course, the Codec

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm watching someone stream it right now and man, this looks right up my alley. Do reviewers just get bored when they don't have something to hit?
Gonna have to wait for it to go on sale before I can afford it though.. already spent my money on Pokemon for the month.
Some might get bored, but this game is just not for everyone. You either love or hate it - and after almost 11 hours I can say that I absolutely love it.

Demption

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah gonna wait before i make my decision. People have positive things to say but mostly after few hours and some people saying this is their Goty after few hours seems a bit much.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah gonna wait before i make my decision. People have positive things to say but mostly after few hours and some people saying this is their Goty after few hours seems a bit much.
Aside from the fact that there's no GOW or BotW equivalent to compete with it this year, I think it'll make a lot more GOTY lists than people expect.

Im on chapter 2 and am clearly seeing how the layering traversal systems can shape up to carry an entire game on their own.

DavidRynes

Apr 19, 2018
I played a little bit more this morning, so I'm up to a total of about 4/5 hours played - although I haven't pushed as far as Port Knot City yet. I don't know where people are coming from saying it's a slow or terrible start; I loved the first few cutscene-heavy hours. I barely even paused to sip my drink, I was that enrapt.

When it comes to actually playing the game, though, I've got a few concerns:
  • The timefall areas seem absolutely trivial to bypass. I'm playing on hard, and all you need to do is crouch, walk slowly, and ping every now and then to make sure you aren't walking into a BT. Obviously container degradation is an issue with the rain, but that's really the only "challenge" to it. I hope these get more tense later on, otherwise I can see literally never getting caught.
  • Tied to that, I'm hoping I eventually get a way to identify timefall areas on the map so that I can plan a route around them. Right now - unless I'm overlooking something - there's no way to distinguish, from the map, which areas have timefall and which ones don't. Players are putting signs down, though, which helps.
  • The wording around entrusting vs. delivering lost cargo is very confusing. The description for postboxes makes it sound like you use them to deliver lost cargo, but actually you just use them as a place to entrust cargo to to other people to pick up and then deliver.
  • I don't understand what resins do. I picked a bunch up, took them back to Central Knot City, and the only option I have for them is to put them in either my private locker or the shared locker.
If that sounds like I'm not enjoying the game, trust me, I am. I'm just a bit unsure on how a few of the different systems interact.
Yeah, after you reach weather station, you will be able to see weather predictions on a map. Resin, like other materials, is very much needed at some constructions.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Yeah, after you reach weather station, you will be able to see weather predictions on a map. Resin, like other materials, is very much needed at some constructions.
Great - thanks. With the resins, do you mean you need to actually transport them to the construction sites? So there's no reason to actually carry them to distribution centres?

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
There are only 16 or so people on the "server" and all of them are probably playing when you do.

I'm more confused now lol!

I'm not sure how that would work because you can't always be online with the same 16 people, so what happens when you make a road which takes several days to make?

I guess I'll just have to play it an see.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I don't ever want to hear a Low Roar song again in my life. That's like three in a row now.

Are the songs randomized? Because super poor RNG if so.

DavidRynes

Apr 19, 2018
Great - thanks. With the resins, do you mean you need to actually transport them to the construction sites? So there's no reason to actually carry them to distribution centres?
Well its great to put them to a locker or share with other players if you stumble on them and dont have any construction to build or help build near around.
I was really focused on building roads cause 1 - they really help with side stuff 2 - you get a lot of likes for them.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- When Deadman is explaining things on your first visit to the private room and says it was "Game Over" for everyone, the Game Over font that appears on the map of America is pretty much exactly MGS'
He says "game over, man" It's an Aliens reference, not a MGS one.
I don't ever want to hear a Low Roar song again in my life. That's like three in a row now.

Are the songs randomized? Because super poor RNG if so.
They're not random.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Initial impressions after 4.5 hours? Much better than I expected it to be.

The writing is a bit not great (kind of expected that TBH), but the performances, the character models, and the details are just superb. The traversal stuff hasn't been crazy either. And holy crap, that auto-arrange option is GREAT, especially when you pick up some dropped deliveries in the field. Just pop into the menu real quick and you're usually set up pretty well with a good balance.

And whomever it was that said this game was "like American Truck Simulator but with a dude" a few days ago honestly sold me on the game ahead of launch. I unironically like American Truck Sim for just how absolutely chill it is. I'm glad I picked this up.