• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I just wanna stress that the biggest win for me yet is the storytelling, which I was genuinely worried about. Without spoiling any particulars:

It gets...
  • The vital exposition out of the way so you don't feel completely turned around, early
  • Thematic substance, and timely parrallels
  • Good sci fi concept
  • A well established protagonist in everything from what their ordinary job/function is, what their history is, their motivation and what their goal in the story is
  • I feel the story has intrigue, which is something a lot of stories fail to do when they attempt to create a sense of direction
  • A mellow tone but not deathly silent. Lots of cutscenes and outspoken dialogues
  • The usual amounts of Kojima storytelling: Excessive examination of multiple meanings of words and toilet humor.
  • It feels character-driven, and the characters all feel very memorable thanks to great writing and cinematic direction.
My worry was that it was gonna be another huge disappointment like MGSV and its muted anti-Kojima styled storytelling. Death Stranding reminds me the most of MGS2 of anything, for no particular reason.
So basically everything we wanted from MGSV

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
Ok, let's start. \o/

EIyDLX1XYAAVYjO

DarkStream

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be scared to start this game.
I don't know what it is, it's just such an "event" to start a Kojima game.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My worry was that it was gonna be another huge disappointment like MGSV and its muted anti-Kojima styled storytelling. Death Stranding reminds me the most of MGS2 of anything, for no particular reason.

Please don't do this to me *breaths heavily*
If this manages to break my mind in even a glimpse of what MGS2 managed to do, I'll be a ver happy man.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Please don't do this to me *breaths heavily*
If this manages to break my mind in even a glimpse of what MGS2 managed to do, I'll be a ver happy man.
I kind of expect twists in the story, but I don't think it's going to be as upside down crazy as MGS2 was. MGS2 felt like it was doing multiple genres in a jumble with someone's unfiltered ideas going through as is. This feels more like a genre-story but it has all of that weird self-referentialism an unstable 4th wall, mixed with being believeable and thematically deep at the same time. But I eagerly anticipate where the story might go halfway in and the ending. I've heard some say it's a 40 hour game, so it's like pretty long, pretty gameplay-rich but also not a slog like those 100-hour open world games.

Oct 27, 2017
OKC
in just a few short hours i will be able stand a top the crest of a mountain, blast Monster piss, and then trip over my own dumb feet and die like a dipshit. then i will also play death stranding if i have time.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Any word on if there are any difficulty based trophies and if so can difficulty be adjusted at any time?

Okapi

May 31, 2019
It's only packages delivered and damage on goods that it counts so far. Time matters too according to their dialogue, but the distance traveled is not measured in your ranking.
So the game does keep track of it? :( I know it's no big deal but I prefer not having to worry about time limits and stuff like that. Especially since you can't replay story missions to get it right later on.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Picked up my steelbook and it's now installed. Looking forward to diving in later =)

Last edited:

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
ive changed my console region on xbox after buying a game to play a few hours early, does this work on ps4 as well?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
ive changed my console region on xbox after buying a game to play a few hours early, does this work on ps4 as well?

No. Even on Xbox you need to actually buy it in that region. It won't work after you've already bought it. Changing time works for Game Pass releases but to unlock purchases early you need to actually buy them in that region (example: pre-order game from the Hong Kong store even though you're in the States).

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
No. Even on Xbox you need to actually buy it in that region. It won't work after you've already bought it. Changing time works for Game Pass releases but to unlock purchases early you need to actually buy them in that region (example: pre-order game from the Hong Kong store even though you're in the States).

hmm ive always just switched to new zealand, game pass or otherwise, for xbox and its worked.

Bummer but i will survive haha.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I'm surprised by the early positive impressions concidering that most reviewers had issues with the opening hours of the game.
I thought it was more around that hour 3-10 mark for reviewers since that is when it becomes mostly gameplay without much tools at your disposal and story stops for a while.

First couple of hours is mostly cutscenes, so I guess the people here so far are enjoying the story.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
For those that are already playing: Can you turn off the controller speaker in this game?

Dec 6, 2017
US
To give a rundown on how I feel about this game personally, you have to know what games I like and what games I don't, that i compare it to.

I consider Bloodborne and Nier Automata to be the best PS4 experiences I had. I didn't enjoy Uncharted 4 and wasn't interested in stuff like God of War and I didn't like Spider-Man. I need a mix of good gameplay but with special emphasis on storytelling in games I like on a higher level than "I liked it". I feel this game is the best game, based on its first 3 hours, on PS4 since Bloodborne and Nier Automata, in a mix of what it does graphically and narratively. The gameplay isn't the strongest pull but the atmosphere and world draws me in so that I like to explore. The "social strand" system also puts a smile on my face, and it's a genuine help.

Playing on Hard Mode with zero prior experience has been easy with no deaths so far. The first stealth segment, I nailed it by being very slow and cautious, and it felt appropriately tense, thanks to good visual feedback, the stamina system and especially good audio/music.

I'm on the honeymoon but this game feels like Christmas in a way I haven't felt since I got my hands on Mass Effect 3.

Just saw your edit and thanks again for your detailed impressions. And regarding the bolded...who are you, me!?

For those that are already playing: Can you turn off the controller speaker in this game?

That'd be great yeah, I don't need to be hearing a baby wail in my face from that scratchy sounding speaker.

Yes, you can configure the game to output BB's grunts to your TV/sound system.

Cool.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
The first hours of the game are good. The problem is the pacing in chapter 3.
The problem is that you apparently can lose a lot of time in early chapters when it would be very much beneficial to move forward. I think that is a difficult problem for kinda open games to solve, because there are a lot of completionists afraid of missing out if they would have been better just moving forward and acquiring more possibilities. But other players might enjoy the super slow burn. So it's hard to balance. DA Inquisition had the same issue. Stay on that first map and complete every marker and the game just feels super awful and boring.

idonteven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
all the inventory stuff is pretty confusing to me

loving the game tho ! had to run away from mules because i stole all their stuff,was able to get away by using a rope to get down the mountain

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
Went ahead and preordered; even if I end up hating the game, I really want to experience it.

Going to see Nick Kroll tomorrow night though so I won't be able to play until late...

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Local shop finally got it. Was supposed to be yesterday.

Now to decide whether I should pick it up and play all day, or be a nice guy and take my girlfriend out first.