• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, even a game like Rain World, whose devs were ridiculously focused on delivering a very specific vision, got some tweaks and difficulty levels. Granted, one of those difficulties was an even harder mode that added new creatures and mechanics. If the dev feels like tweaks and updates in response to criticism make sense in the bounds of their vision, there's nothing wrong with that

Criticism isn't bad or something to be treated as attacking a creator

Bingo. I didn't say that to insist that Death Stranding sucks and Kojima needs to fix it. It's obvious that people have complaints about the experience, even those who really enjoyed the game. Some creators are super stubborn and won't change a thing regardless, but if there's a common complaint that Kojima could address without deviating too much from the original vision, why not? That's what I'm curious to see if he does.

What needs fixing regarding the base gameplay?

Also, stubborn is a curious choice of words when referring to a creator not changing things according to what others want their work to be. Technical issues are one thing but the former is something that almost never happens in media unless there's some sort of scandal involved ie problematic content or messaging being present in the work.

A. For instance, almost everyone has complained about the over abundance of cutscenes that kick in when Sam takes a shower. That's something that could be addressed that wouldn't hurt the vision I would assume.

B. That's not true. There have been plenty of games where something didn't work out as well as the developers hoped and changed things due to player and review feedback. That's nothing out of the ordinary.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, even a game like Rain World, whose devs were ridiculously focused on delivering a very specific vision, got some tweaks and difficulty levels. Granted, one of those difficulties was an even harder mode that added new creatures and mechanics. If the dev feels like tweaks and updates in response to criticism make sense in the bounds of their vision, there's nothing wrong with that

Criticism isn't bad or something to be treated as attacking a creator

I agree and I didn't imply criticism for a thing was an attack. In the case of Rain World the changes they made to how the hibernation and progression system worked certainly improved the experience. I more take issue with saying someone is stubborn just because they won't change something based on criticisms. Changing or not changing something are equally acceptable paths to take.

A. For instance, almost everyone has complained about the over abundance of cutscenes that kick in when Sam takes a shower. That's something that could be addressed that wouldn't hurt the vision I would assume.

B. That's not true. There have been plenty of games where something didn't work out as well as the developers hoped and changed things due to player and review feedback. That's nothing out of the ordinary.

For something as small as cutscene skips for the shower sequence sure those are some qol improvements I can see getting changed. It's just most criticisms towards the game overall are regarding the general slog and experience of traversal which is what I assumed you were referring to, not something minor like cutscene skip ability. Thanks for explaining things more just the same :)

Last edited:

5moke5creen

Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone know if the asynchronous multiplayer elements are region-locked to where the game is from?

I wouldn't mind getting it off the HK store (in the UK here) but would hope it connects me to more local servers...

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Are Grenades really the only way to beat BTs?

it's all I've seen in videos, disappointing if so

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I just called mine and they said they won't be doing a Thursday night release. I would call yours before you head out there first.

Edit - Though I did just check my order and it says preparing for pick-up on Friday, so maybe you are good.

Do it, you'll be good to go. I'm in the same boat and asked them about it last weekend.

Called them and they said no. I might check anyway though since it's super close by and I won't be doing anything anyway.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Because... I'm an old Gen X'er who has turned into my dad who could never figure out our VCR or cable box. I had no idea connecting a PS4 through a phone was even a thing! Will look into that, thank you!

Happy to help! I don't know on iPhone but on Android it's piss easy. Look up the hotspot feature and make sure you disable downloads just in case and have enough GBs on your phone, but I don't think it wastes a lot of them anyway. You set up a wifi name and an optional password just like a router and that's it.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
An interview with Joel Corelitz, one of the game's composers about creating the sound of Death stranding: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2019/11/death-stranding-sound-design-interview.html
It apparently involved abusing a piano with various blunt objects.
Reminds me of the unorthodox approach to a soundtrack that the Rain World devs took. They would take random junk audio (PAX interview snippets, recordings, etc) and then warped and distorted the clips into ethereal primordial tracks

Some examples: Grumblebum | Else

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Amazon has dispatched mine. Says it's coming on Friday 15 November
tumblr_no718vDRGt1r51r3ro1_400.gifv

Mine is the same, but it hasn't dispatched yet. If it dispatched today I'd probably have it on Friday or Saturday, fuck! I'll probably have it by Tuesday, Monday if lucky. Well at least I got it for 49 instead of 60+ so not really complaining (yes really complaining ok).

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
My ShopTo order is weird. Got an email earlier today saying it had been packed and would be sent soon. But on my account it still says processing.

Got a feeling they've just sorted them out into a big pile they'll post out tomorrow morning.

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
Ended up cancelling my Amazon order because they couldn't guarantee Friday delivery and ordered digitally on PSN instead. I'm all set.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My ShopTo order is weird. Got an email earlier today saying it had been packed and would be sent soon. But on my account it still says processing.

Got a feeling they've just sorted them out into a big pile they'll post out tomorrow morning.

I had an email saying mine was dispatched but if I go on the order it just says processing.

Was hoping for delivery tomorrow but think you are right.

Oct 25, 2017
Mine is the same, but it hasn't dispatched yet. If it dispatched today I'd probably have it on Friday or Saturday, fuck! I'll probably have it by Tuesday, Monday if lucky. Well at least I got it for 49 instead of 60+ so not really complaining (yes really complaining ok).
Yeah, I'm getting kind of worried now. I was thinking it was a mistake but now I don't know lol

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
HO LY SHIT

That BMTH song should've been called "dem breakdowns". I was not expecting that.
I quite enjoyed CHVRCHES song and didn't listen to the others, but looking forward to the whole release and will probably pick up a vinyl for the "Ludens" song. Will chew into lyrics tomorrow and can't wait to go to work listening to that song. Fucking legends.

I mean I already got the day off for Friday, but hype level just skyrocketed.

Hixx

Oct 25, 2017

I had an email saying mine was dispatched but if I go on the order it just says processing.

SimplyGames twitter says they aren't allowed to ship until tomorrow, as did Game Collection. Guessing it's a request from Sony so would be surprised if Shopto did despatch today.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
SimplyGames twitter says they aren't allowed to ship until tomorrow, as did Game Collection. Guessing it's a request from Sony so would be surprised if Shopto did despatch today.

Yeah I would be surprised as well just suprised they sent an email saying your order is getting shipped today when it doesn't look like it is.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England

Keep us all updated here on Era - I'm in Brighton for a technical corporate livestream test event all morning so if anyone does receive it tomorrow in the UK, I'll log onto Era and check what people are saying on the ride home after lunch. Excited to play the game either tomorrow or Friday no matter what happens :)

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
I pre-ordered from Gamestop (back in August, when the second wave of pre-orders were available), after check the status of my order all day, I phoned them and was told that UPS was going to ship last night and I would receive it today.

I bet they just said to me to get rid of me, still no confirmation e-mail from UPS..

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
^^ yep mine says the same, should have it by 3pm tomorrow it says. I only ordered mine around 16:30 today. If it's been despatched I'd say it's probably coming tomorrow 🤞

Xshade90

Nov 2, 2017
It's been on it's way since yesterday morning, I will for sure receive it tomorrow night. No way I'm gonna cancel my Amazon copy now, I've paid like 57 including taxes a while back when it was announced!

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
Is there any way to find the tracking on their website?
I can't seem to find it on their site, I thought it'd be within the order details or something, but the tracking number and link were in an email they'd sent earlier today.

Should point out that I'd bought the steelbook and orders over £50 are upgraded to tracked delivery, standard edition orders won't receive a tracking number unless they select that delivery option.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My royal mail tracking from shopto is just saying we can't display anything until we have attempted to deliver your item.

So looks like they didn't pick mine up :(

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
My royal mail tracking from shopto is just saying we can't display anything until we have attempted to deliver your item.

So looks like they didn't pick mine up :(
Actually - you're good! That's what the standard Royal Mail First Class tracking system says on standard 'notify on delivery' packages. Before pickup it will say "This tracking has not yet entered our network" and then once it's been scanned in, it changes to "An update will only be provided when we attempt to deliver your item" this is then updated upon delivery.

You could also choose the Tracked24 option for £1.99 (or if you got the Steelbook over £50) which would give more detailed tracking like in the image Peradam shared earlier in the thread, this shows more detailed location tracking and other information.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Actually - you're good! That's what the standard Royal Mail First Class tracking system says on standard 'notify on delivery' packages. Before pickup it will say "This tracking has not yet entered our network" and then once it's been scanned in, it changes to "An update will only be provided when we attempt to deliver your item" this is then updated upon delivery.

You could also choose the Tracked24 option for £1.99 (or if you got the Steelbook over £50) which would give more detailed tracking like in the image Peradam shared earlier in the thread, this shows more detailed location tracking and other information.

OK great thanks! I'm not working tomorrow so great if it does arrive... 12 hour day on Friday!

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
game about delivering has everyone talking about their deliveries

kojima with the bbiq

also my delivery hasn't shipped either!

OP
OP
Kindekuma

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how large the day 1 patch is? I don't wanna come home at 9pm with my copy and have a 20+GB patch like I did with Modern Warfare

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Called them and they said no. I might check anyway though since it's super close by and I won't be doing anything anyway.

No they're not doing it or just can't pick it up? lol I'd call them back and direct them to the website that lists it. The guy I spoke to last weekend didn't think so either and wanted to check the emails before having a final say and found the info.

Said to come in by 8:30 to finalize the transaction and pick it up and then leave the store at 9.