• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
tumblr_pwi2tj6mg31s70y6xo1_1280.png

Fucking nailed it

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Just noticed when rewatching that the cases shift around and there's one less when he selects the ladder from the wheel, so yeah, it's pretty much confirmed that your gadgets/weapons will share the same space slots/weight system as your packages. That's awesome.

I imagine at least some missions won't allow you to take just part of the cargo and do multiple trips, so the mission diffculty will be directly related to how much stuff you have to carry at once. Though you can also probably pick up a bunch of missions and do them all at once if you have the space.
Weight systems could end up being super annoying. Games like Elder scrolls and Fallout have infuriating encumbrance mechanics where the world is full of stuff that you can pick up and you constantly find your self unable to move around because of it. So far it doesn't seem like DS has random stuff in the world to pick up so it might not be an issue.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The point of the marketing is not the game. If you think they are trying to show what the game is actually about you missed the point.

The marketing is about the persona, the experience and the "cultural impact" of the release.
Today's trailer could not make it more clear.

First they introduced Kojima with a reel about him post the Konami split. For the audience, Kojima was wrongly fired by an evil corporation and put on the sideline (I'm strictly talking about perception, the factual truth doesn't matter), and the trailer started with that. Kojima was the punished hero.
Phase 2 was the redemption arc. Kojima is given an award, he gets the trophy and he releveal his new project. It's important to notice how Kojima calls it "a gift". It's not a simple product that he's announcing, he's gifting something to its audience. It's an act of benevolence.
The third aspect the trailer focus on the cult of Kojima: he's introduced as "the one and only", "industry icon", "genius", "most ethical man in the world". His status is underlined by big Hollywood celebrities as Reedus and Del Toro admiring him.
After having established this "godly" figure, the trailer showed Kojima addressing the audience directly. He starts by establishing a direct connection with them, "I love games", and he then follows with "I love you all with my heart". Once again Kojima being a benevolent figure is underlined.

After the trailer is over, Geoff asks the audience to stand up for Kojima, as he is "the one and only" (once again) and his appearance must be honored.

Kojima then once again has a gift for his audience: his presence, as the development is in cruch phase and he "shouldn't be here"; but not only that, he also has a second gift! Some new game footage that he originally planned to show at TGS.

The cutscene that follows is focused on Death Stranding's big selling points: the scene is absolutely incomprehensible on purpose, as the key elements are strong imagery (invisible ultradimensional baby) that confuses even the audience avatar in the DS universe (Reedus). This was recurring theme in all of DS' marketing campaing: "What is the game about?", "what is Kojima's masterplan?", "man this game is weird" and such. It's important to sell the idea that the audience MUST see the final product for themselves to understand it, the game itself is an event, it's Kojima's message finally being delivered.
To sell this idea even better, the cutscene focused once again on a new character interpreted by a very famous person. Notice here how the shot is directed to give the audience the time to properly recognize the face and connect her to the existing famous person before she starts saying anything meaningfull.
What will follow is "famous person doubling down on Kojima's weirdness" with some sound dialogue.

The following in-engine sequence is once again following this scheme. Weird imagery and famous people giving weight to the script with their fame.

When it comes to the proper gameplay, the first selling point is the pretty graphics and what they mean. This is a big budget game, it's the next big thing.
Secondly, here is Kojima's weirdness once again. Reedus does something that it's no present in the usual AAA experience, he piss around the scenery, something evocative of "non PR", "huge personality".
After a nice stroll to better showcase how a monster the game engine is, we are introduced to Geoff's avatar in game. "Look audience, even conference presenter and ultra respected videogame journalist Keighley is in this incredible gift, and he's a "fan" too!"
After that, comic relief and Kojima weirdness again.

The last part of the conference is just Geoff saying how much of an honor is being a part of this amazing project even as a cameo, further increasing the aura of this act of benevolence Kojima is gifting to us gamers.

The marketing team behind this game planned it since 2015, they created what possibly is the greatest campaign videogames have seen this decade.
Please say sike

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
i"m talking about BOTW2 not BOTW.
The good marketing about BOTW was to show nothing.

BOTW 2 won't be welcomed well by his trailers like DS. I clearly and frankly believe Kojima have a pass and even if he made a new game horrific very disgusting and trash and against everything we believe (gender equality, progressive stuff) it will be "genius".
BOTW 2? "you can"t make better than BOTW Aonuma."

Are you trying to shit on both BotW and DS at the same time because I definitely remember nothing but excitement and praise over BotW2 when it was announced.

Pretty certain you are in a thread where people aren't giving Kojima a pass for anything. His treatment of women in his narratives and how creepy a lot of it is has been discussed in this thread. People are discussing at this very moment about how the gameplay looks bland.

Why don't you make a topic about this very thing if it is upsetting you this much?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's just a deep misogyny ingrained in the very core of this game. Women are just baby machines, mama can't go anywhere because her ghost baby, mama's just leaking milk everywhere. The other woman is named fragile. Jesus fucking Christ, I thought Quiet was where he would stop.
What about Lindsay Wagner as the president of the US? Putting so much value on the name "fragile" is also kind of silly and Mama clearly seems to be some kind of scientist or engineer to me

FayaEmblaimu

Alt account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
Are you trying to shit on both BotW and DS at the same time because I definitely remember nothing but excitement and praise over BotW2 when it was announced.

Pretty certain you are in a thread where people aren't giving Kojima a pass for anything. His treatment of women in his narratives and how creepy a lot of it is has been discussed in this thread. People are discussing at this very moment about how the gameplay looks bland.

Why don't you make a topic about this very thing if it is upsetting you this much?

i can't. I'm a beginner here

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
Most of the discussion hasn't really involved exclusivity I feel, although there have been some people who say it's another "Sony 3rd Person Adventure Walking Sim" I suppose, though most people have more just been "wtf is going on in this game."

I'd agree with A though, and possibly due to the fact that most portions of gameplay have been in bits and pieces, and I think people just want a 3-5 minute vertical slice of uninterrupted gameplay. I would too, but if one watches all the trailers (especially with what was shown today) we get a pretty good idea of how it plays (minus the strand connection system, which has been kept obscure for a reason I'm guessing).

I think you really under estimate the impact of console wars in exclusive threads, it's not explicitly allowed but people gauge in it anyway under the guise of many things, most obvious being concern trolling. It's evident in Xbox/Ninty/Sony threads, I firmly believe if everyone owned all platforms on this forum this place would be extremely civil, but that would also take out a lot of fun haha!

Yeah, absolutely, but the thing is that the marketing just doesn't focus on these bits as the central "point" of the game.They, along with a few secodns of melee combat, only represent a tiny, tiny minority of the footage released so far. And you can see the reaction to that fact in this thread.

It's not really about what the game is. We have no way to know! Maybe there are going to be bases you can free and hostages to rescue and a big fat counter for the number of towers you still have to climb in some menu. Instead, it's about what the game presents itself to be. And not seeing the character shoot, or fight, or die or have some kind of obvious fail state in play in the first, official gameplay reveal trailer is so utterly weird to so many people, such a non-thing in this industry, that so many here just have no idea how to react to that.

What bums me out is that, the immediate response to that then isn't "Huh! That's really new and almost unheard of. How exciting!" but "Huh! That's not what I know! That means it's probably bad."

There are SO MANY classic, video game-ass video games out there. Even if there weren't, Doom Eternal is coming out and it looks fucking dope! So...why can't this just be...something else? Literally, anything else? We can look forward to mindllessly shoot in Doom, apolitically shoot civilians in Modern Warfare, shootbang while getting told a likely amazing story in Last of Us 2. So much shooting to be done! So many ways to die! So many to do what we always did!

Shouldn't the prospect of getting an expensive, weird ass travel-exploration-baby-shaking-urinating-ladder-dropping game be the most exciting fucking thing any of us have ever heard?

You put it so succinctly, thank you!

Also, I'm in complete agreement. People complaint about the lack of variety in AAA games but now we are in Uncharted territory (no pun intended) in Death Stranding, plenty are finding it difficult how to comprehend that. The fact they are stressing on environment in every trailer speaks volumes about where the focus is in this game but for many if they don't have huge guns to mow through those obstacles then I guess the game is meh?

I won't lie, it's the weird mystique behind this game which has me intrigued. The fact its being made by Kojima only gives me more confidence because he knows how to build good games. I'm very curious to see how its received by the masses at large because it's very much treading on some batshit concepts.

Okay, I gotcha. I'm just wondering when the right time is for Kojima to reveal the other gameplay elements. We're a few months away from release. Maybe there will be a big blowout from ign or other outlet?

Honestly, I think Gamescom was the prime moment to release gameplay in its full glory but obviously Kojima has other ideas. He did say, this is a 'small gameplay segment' which we saw today with full reveal to come at TGS so it's probably going to be in 3 weeks time.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
I'm there with the disappointment because I disliked today's presentation as much as everybody else, but Kojima literally said he hadn't intended on showing anything at Gamescom but made this teaser for Geoff. It'd be one thing if this was what we were being show repeatedly in gameplay demo after gameplay demo but we just got a trailer not too long ago showing a tease of what to expect and there was a lot of exciting content there.
I agree. It does seem to be the case. This wasn't a carefully curated showcase of the game but ultimately we are getting to see more of the game that we haven't seen enough of in the first place. I hope the game can strike a good balance between the crazy mystical elements and these boring and bland down times.

Oct 25, 2017
Weight systems could end up being super annoying. Games like Elder scrolls and Fallout have infuriating encumbrance mechanics where the world is full of stuff that you can pick up and you constantly find your self unable to move around because of it. So far it doesn't seem like DS has random stuff in the world to pick up so it might not be an issue.
It depends on how much of a role it plays in your main gameplay loop, I suppose.

For example, Item Load vs Equip Load in Souls games. Demon's Souls had weight not only in what you equip, but what you carry with you. That means that sometimes you're unable to get the loot that's supposed to be the reason why you're doing what you're doing just because you have too much shit you don't even use. Equip Load, on the other hand, balances the different types of armor, the Endurance stat and directly affects your character's speed and movement, with different tiers of dodge rolls tied to that stat. It's no surprise that they ditched Item Load but kept Equip Load for Dark Souls.

In this game's case, assuming I'm right, how much stuff you carry at once is a major part of the main gameplay loop. You have to decide how much cargo you want to take, and how much space/weight you want to save for your ladders, guns and other tools that will help you in traversal or combat. So it's more Equip Load than Item Load.

This seems like the perfect game to watch YouTube clips of people fucking around, not actually playing it.
I hope you're wrong, because that's how I felt about MGS V, so there is a precendet.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
You gotta stop this narrative right now. Pre-empting the review thread if the game get's good reviews by saying "It's just cuz it's Kojima" is some seriously negative thinking and diminishes the work he and his team have put in.

If the game is good it'll be well received.

If not, it won't.

I want this game to be good just as much as anyone else (Especially being a massive fan of classic MG up to MGS4), but I'm not going to overlook that there's certain developers whose works get ridiculous amounts of praise and critical attention before we know barely anything about it. That's almost always because their previous works were solid and have a good reputation, which is fine, but i feel like when an overt amount admiration is being heaped on something we barely know anything about, it's possible that opinions about a final product are possibly already influenced, intentional or not (And let's be real, it's happened before).

Just watching that video and people cheering and applauding for what amounts to "Press a button to pee" (When not much else is shown off) is the type of stuff that leads me to be iffy and observant.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, absolutely, but the thing is that the marketing just doesn't focus on these bits as the central "point" of the game.They, along with a few secodns of melee combat, only represent a tiny, tiny minority of the footage released so far. And you can see the reaction to that fact in this thread.

It's not really about what the game is. We have no way to know! Maybe there are going to be bases you can free and hostages to rescue and a big fat counter for the number of towers you still have to climb in some menu. Instead, it's about what the game presents itself to be. And not seeing the character shoot, or fight, or die or have some kind of obvious fail state in play in the first, official gameplay reveal trailer is so utterly weird to so many people, such a non-thing in this industry, that so many here just have no idea how to react to that.

What bums me out is that, the immediate response to that then isn't "Huh! That's really new and almost unheard of. How exciting!" but "Huh! That's not what I know! That means it's probably bad."

There are SO MANY classic, video game-ass video games out there. Even if there weren't, Doom Eternal is coming out and it looks fucking dope! So...why can't this just be...something else? Literally, anything else? We can look forward to mindllessly shoot in Doom, apolitically shoot civilians in Modern Warfare, shootbang while getting told a likely amazing story in Last of Us 2. So much shooting to be done! So many ways to die! So many to do what we always did!

Shouldn't the prospect of getting an expensive, weird ass travel-exploration-baby-shaking-urinating-ladder-dropping game be the most exciting fucking thing any of us have ever heard?
Fuckin' a.

RedbullCola

Oct 26, 2017
I like the way they've confirmed you can't see the characters penis. Invisible penis. Boobs in games, great. Man knob? Nooooooooo.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think you really under estimate the impact of console wars in exclusive threads, it's not explicitly allowed but people gauge in it anyway under the guise of many things, most obvious being concern trolling. It's evident in Xbox/Ninty/Sony threads, I firmly believe if everyone owned all platforms on this forum this place would be extremely civil, but that would also take out a lot of fun haha!

You put it so succinctly, thank you!

Also, I'm in complete agreement. People complaint about the lack of variety in AAA games but now we are in Uncharted territory (no pun intended) in Death Stranding, plenty are finding it difficult how to comprehend that. The fact they are stressing on environment in every trailer speaks volumes about where the focus is in this game but for many if they don't have huge guns to mow through those obstacles then I guess the game is meh?

I won't lie, it's the weird mystique behind this game which has me intrigued. The fact its being made by Kojima only gives me more confidence because he knows how to build good games. I'm very curious to see how its received by the masses at large because it's very much treading on some batshit concepts.

Honestly, I think Gamescom was the prime moment to release gameplay in its full glory but obviously Kojima has other ideas. He did say, this is a 'small gameplay segment' which we saw today with full reveal to come at TGS so it's probably going to be in 3 weeks time.
Okay thanks. I missed that.
Well,lets kick the can until another 3 weeks, huh? Hopefully Kojima can redeem himself for some of us

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Based on what I've seen, no, not at all. The implication that people should be excited just because it's different for the sake of it is an odd take. Sometimes weird shit appeals to a person, other times... not so much.

Also writing everyone off that's not feeling the game as only caring for mindless action is lame.

Last edited:

FayaEmblaimu

Alt account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
I want this game to be good just as much as anyone else (Especially being a massive fan of classic MG up to MGS4), but I'm not going to overlook that there's certain developers whose works get ridiculous amounts of praise and critical attention before we know barely anything about it. That's almost always because their previous works were solid and have a good reputation, which is fine, but i feel like when an overt amount admiration is being heaped on something we barely know anything about, it's possible that opinions about a final product are possibly already influenced, intentional or not (And let's be real, it's happened before).

i agree with you.
The game is overhyped because it's Kojima.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's like I was waiting for something cool to happen but nothing came. Just so bland to me. There was nothing interesting in that trailer whatsoever. I felt like I'm missing a part 2 of the trailer after reading the first page of this thread.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Pretty gross that you pee with a baby strapped to your chest, you should at least have a way to make it so the baby doesn't have to see that

Still don't understand it in the slightest, the mechanics we've seen so far seem like they're focused on managing annoyances rather than really accomplishing anything and that usually doesn't make for an enjoyable game
Help I just can't....where's that Austin pic?

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
That was very uninteresting. I would have preferred to see more traversal options or unique terrain to cross which revolves more complex options and thinking.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
I'm excited for the game, but this looks like the worst part of MGSV: big open areas with nothing in them.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty gross that you pee with a baby strapped to your chest, you should at least have a way to make it so the baby doesn't have to see that

Still don't understand it in the slightest, the mechanics we've seen so far seem like they're focused on managing annoyances rather than really accomplishing anything and that usually doesn't make for an enjoyable game
The penis is below the tank, how is the baby supposed to see the penis? And even if it could see what's below ...what if Sam had a mini-penis? I mean, the environment looks rather cold.

Gunter

Banned
Mar 30, 2019
You all realize this is Kojima just fucking with us, right? Giving the press that video and calling it 'official gameplay' and the first thing Sam does is take a piss and run up to a 'Ludens fan'. lmao

boskee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
Peter Molyneux and David Cage must be really pissed watching hype surrounding this game. Molyneux because instead of promising miracles, he should have been vague. David Cage because he kept his pretentiousness in check.

Everything I've seen from this game so far makes it look like a boring, bland game made by a guy who's convinced he's the new Da Vinci. Guy that shits on his co-workers/employees by claiming he's done everything in his games. Finally, guy who seems to have some kind of urine fetish. From golden shower in Metal Gear 2, to an entire option in Death Standing's radial menu reserved for pissing.

That urination is actually a great metaphor for how Kojima trolls his fanboys. He can literally sell them piss and pretend there's a deep meaning behind all that. Just like he did explaining Quiet's scant latex costume in MGS. I'm out. Graphics look great and that's about it.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

Just watching that video and people cheering and applauding for what amounts to "Press a button to pee" (When not much else is shown off) is the type of stuff that leads me to be iffy and observant.
This is the case with literally everything. Creator legacy is going to influence how/if/why people perceive something. No shit I'm hyped for a Nosferatu remake because Robert Eggers wants to do it.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When the game launches all these trailers will be revealed to be an elaborate hoax.

And Kojima will finally release his dream Pachinko game.