• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
Seems I'm not the only one who was utterly disappointed with that gameplay trailer.

Geoff Keighley being in the game is also very cringe.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I do hope the game isn't littered with busywork stuff like having hundreds of no name NPCs like Geoff to deliver stuff to.

Want the game to focus more on the story missions where you are delivering something important to named characters.

And the traversal from your starting point to your destination is well designed that requires the player to think of ways to get around problems.
if you did not find side content in MGS V busy work , then I dont think its gonna be an issue here

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Why can't we criticize this gameplay reveal without getting the stupid answers 'i guess people are too used to having fight and guns in their games'.

No this looked bad for several reasons:

- The walking animation is still jerky. It looks like he's floating.
- That falling animation was ridiculous. No animation whatsoever near the cliff of him pretending to be scared of falling or near a precipice. He fell like a weird weightless rock.
- The gimmick of rocking the controller to calm the baby will get old after 3 times doing it.

- There was basically a lack of adventure and danger. He falls a huge cliff and didnt seem to hurt himself at all. Only the baby was affected.

I could go one but anyway, nothing exciting in this or the previous gameplay reveal..

I hope he'll prove me wrong
This is constructive criticism. It's not a good example of the type of post that is getting scrutinized.

Oct 25, 2017

- The gimmick of rocking the controller to calm the baby will get old after 3 times doing it.
I agree with this, but I don't see it as an issue, at least in the way it was presented here. The player had to do it because of the fall, it wasn't random. It's basically punishment for not paying attention, which fits a game that seems to be much more focused on traversal.

It's like having to mash a button or waggling the stick to get up or snap out of stun in an action game. It's not fun, but it's not supposed to be. It's supposed to be something you want to avoid.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Yeah like when he said once we knew quiet looked the way she did we would all shut up and feel shame.

The man is BRILLIANT, we are all too stupid to see the way he transcends us all.

Reality check: he has yet to make a good game.

Haha you couldn't be more wrong. MGS is a fantastic series. Hey how about you make a game and prove to us your genius? I'd love to see you try.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah like when he said once we knew quiet looked the way she did we would all shut up and feel shame.

The man is BRILLIANT, we are all too stupid to see the way he transcends us all.

Come on. Kojima may have sucked on his own ego pump a few times too many and he definitely has extremely problematic sexist views about women.

But to say he's never made a good game is just absurd. Come on.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Games that have similar traversal as to what has been shown in DS so far? I would love to play them.
So is the gunplay boring? Just copy and paste from other games? The traversal is the showstopper?

No. The gunplay should be good, right? So why not show it? The crowd would have loved it.

i'm relieved
Fire Emblem have his chance to be GOTY after this
Yas!! What is left to challenge it? It's happening, innit?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why can't we criticize this gameplay reveal without getting the stupid answers 'i guess people are too used to having fight and guns in their games'.

- The walking animation is still jerky. It looks like he's floating.
- That falling animation was ridiculous. No animation whatsoever near the cliff of him pretending to be scared of falling or near a precipice. He fell like a weird weightless rock.

- There was basically a lack of adventure and danger. He falls a huge cliff and didnt seem to hurt himself at all. Only the baby was affected.

I could go one but anyway, nothing exciting in this or the previous gameplay reveal..

I hope he'll prove me wrong
This post is fine. Most of the posts in this thread are cheap one-shots.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The game is going to be about delivering things, it's going to be LOTS of walking and surviving in the harsh environment, including babysitting an actual baby and having stamina/sleep/hydration meters.

I'm down for it, i'm hyped as fuck.

But he's already pissing himself with excitement at getting to trash the game.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Me waking up and looking at this thread.

giphy.gif

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017

lol.

I know this is probably a troll post, but I do feel like sometimes people forget Kojima has been around for decades. Or that he's done more than just Metal Gear Solid. Even if one accepts the idea that every Metal Gear game was bad (flat out wrong in reality), the man also made Snatcher and Policenauts.

And of course the most important game he's ever been involved in: Boktai
not really, but it is a good game

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a bold move, and you're right, those elements will be present. I think I've just had so much games marketing without this kind of foreplay that I start to get antsy when I feel that as a consumer I want to see more of the game and not just more time spent in the game passing as it, if that makes sense.

I get you, and there's clearly a considerable number of people not happy with what's being shown so far, or how little is shown.

The only thing that has me weary is how fast they created this. It does make me wonder if we'll see less bosses, for instance, or too much repetition, but we'll find out in a few months.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I think figuring out wtf is going on in this game will be the exciting part about playing it at least for me anyways. But I don't blame people for feeling a put off by the game.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
people expecting bad scores haven't paid attention at all, reviewers love terrible writing that sounds vaguely smart if you don't think about it all.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
User banned (3 days): misrepresenting moderation (member had only made one report before this post, last March)
If you feel like a post breaks posting guidelines, then report it. It's more helpful to the mods than vague insistence.
You don't think I have? 😊
You think the concern-trolling and the outright hate has stopped though?
No. By this point, they are well aware. They just don't seem to care, quite frankly.

Look... It's a divisive title. Lovecraftian creatures from another dimension? Babies connecting the World of the living to the World of the dead? A man "dying" every 21-minutes in order to find his dead family? Troy Baker sending hellish demons after me? No game-over screens etc. There's lots of info and enough footage out there and I can barely piece it together. To me, that's exciting.

Because if the game's content is meaty, if it delivers on it's potential, if I "understand the true meaning of the Death Stranding" and everything makes sense in the end... It'll have been a piss-stroke of genius.

You'll have to commend the guy for having the balls to barely explain anything. If it fails, he'll never make a big budget game ever again. That's fucking insane to me! Who else would or even could do that? That's why I want this game to deliver so immensely. I want these people (the entirety of KP) to succeed.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
So is the gunplay boring? Just copy and paste from other games? The traversal is the showstopper?

No. The gunplay should be good, right? So why not show it? The crowd would have loved it.
The crowd did seem to love it? I wasn't there but it was hardly a quiet reception per the video.

We've seen Sam shoot a gun. It looked like any other TPS shooter. Hopefully it feels as good as Kojima's last game. There isn't much more to glean off that mechanic.

Sam putting a ladder over a huge canyon while carrying loads of cargo is certainly not something I routinely see in games. I'm much more interested in how that is gonna work personally.

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Seems I'm not the only one who was utterly disappointed with that gameplay trailer.

Geoff Keighley being in the game is also very cringe.

It's all a meme right? There's no way that's actually the game, it'll come out and be totally different I'm sure. Like there will actually be gamey stuff to do and a story that at least makes sense to a normal human.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
That was...weird.
I believe he wants to make the game look more unique and weird than it will actually end up being, but we'll see.