• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Some of the takes in this thread are just bad. You all should be really happy that Kojima is able to make games like this, not every game needs to be an action packed thriller. It's actually really cool that Sony has an auteur like Kojima who gets to make weird/interesting things like this.

I see nothing in this footage that warrants the extreme reactionary response that is coming from some people here.

Based on what we know about the game, it seems pretty political and interesting. We need more games like this, and developers should feel like they can make games that aren't solely about short 30 second bursts of engagement. If this was an indie game nobody would have a problem, but because it's Kojima everyone is disappointed that it's not another Metal Gear game.

You're kidding, right? If I wanted a game where all I did was walk around and see cutscenes, then I'd watch a movie/tv show.
Games are meant to be played. Though of course until we see more gameplay, I'm sure this game still has surprises up it's sleeve.

Chaos17

Oct 27, 2017
France
I get the feeling this is gonna be the worst console kojima game. It just looks so damn boring to play despite the cool presentation
I will say it's not for fun this game is made for.
It's a game where you will be emotionally invested in your surving+survive with the baby.
The goal is pretty much clear, if you can't get attached with the baby the game won't be interesting.
It's difficult to explain but if you ever watched "Made in Abyss", you will understand the theme better of what Kojima is going for and no it's not fun, it's dark, lol

Anyway, it's your sanity (irl) that you will need to balance, imo.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The character videos were whatever since I don't need to see every cutscene but the gameplay was interesting. People probably aren't going to like that the core of the game seems to be the delivery stuff.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Some of the takes in this thread are just bad. You all should be really happy that Kojima is able to make games like this, not every game needs to be an action packed thriller. It's actually really cool that Sony has an auteur like Kojima who gets to make weird/interesting things like this.

I see nothing in this footage that warrants the extreme reactionary response that is coming from some people here.

Based on what we know about the game, it seems pretty political and interesting. We need more games like this, and developers should feel like they can make games that aren't solely about short 30 second bursts of engagement. If this was an indie game nobody would have a problem, but because it's Kojima everyone is disappointed that it's not another Metal Gear game.
Kojima is divisive, which is fine, but it always brings out the hottest of takes and drive-by shit posts.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
*after seeing 3 minutes of game

well i mean........ if you want to know a ton about the game before playing it......... wait until it comes out and wait 12 hour

You can critique the marketing all you want but you have to view this like something like Avengers Endgame. You don't have to reveal a lot because people are gonna buy either way. So why not play it close to the vest and let the game surprise everyone? Few games can do that with little to no downside like this can.
If they don't want people to get the wrong impression why don't they just show interesting gameplay? They can do that without giving everything away, you know?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Posting this from the other thread:
Great callback:
1ffe698c-94b2-45f0-927sjox.png

74e3a22a-4059-488a-ah2j8e.jpeg

Nov 11, 2017
This looks awful I see why konami was so strenuous with overseeing his projects now, this is so pretentious and ridiculous. It's like he tried to make abstract art but failed at the attempt of being different smh

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3 minutes of gameplay that were specifically chosen to show off the game, after literal years of cg trailers. They've had tons of time to put out more interesting gameplay trailers. Honestly if this game was headed by anyone but Kojima while keeping everything else the same, I guarantee the reaction from a lot of people here would be completely different

Of course people are hyped because it's Kojima.

Some unknown developer hasn't created what Kojima created. Some of the best Gameplay of all time is from Kojima. For many people he earned their trust in the gameplay department.

It's so strange to see people try as hard as they can to create this idea that suddenly Kojima can't develop good gameplay anymore.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This looks very underwhelming. Don't know what is supposed to be exciting in that footage.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Amazing to witness but I'm not an inch closer to knowing whether I should buy this thing or not.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but how can you make a decision (whether you should buy 'Death Stranding' or not) when you don't have a PlayStation 4?

With regards to this most recent trailer, I am none the wiser about this game, and yet I am still intrigued...

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Fucking elated they didn't show much of anything.

Apply those lessons learned from MGSV marketing and keep it close to the chest.

This is excellent.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Do you all feel like at the Game Awards, this game HAS to win GOTY now regardless? Like how awkward would it be if it doesn't for Geoff?

Definitely a weird space.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whoever is managing the marketing campaign deserve a raise. This is a Trump-like propaganda and persona cult that they managed to create in the past 4 years.

First there was the "enemy"

Than the new game to make the medium great again

Then there was the shilling

And lastly the cult-like fandom

Incredible accomplishment.
Seriously. We actually got more in a trailer about the lead developer than the game itself.

Everyone's so caught up in "Kojima's legacy" that they don't realize they are being sold a brand.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
This looks awful I see why konami was so strenuous with overseeing his projects now, this is so pretentious and ridiculous. It's like he tried to make abstract art but failed at the attempt of being different smh
It's like something a movie studio shot down and Kojima decided to take advantage of the situation to make a game

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
The game will be 2 hours long, this scene included, and it will get 10s from every website.

"Breathtaking." - Gamespot 10/10
"You're too fucking STUPID to understand Kojima's genius." - IGN 10/10

User reviews will be 1/10s. Widespread outrage from the gaming community will turn violent. A civil war will breakout, and thus lead to the exact, same, apocalyptic world that the game depicts as envisioned by Kojima.

... You OK?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing people who disliked the slower pace of RDR 2 will dislike this as well. Perfect kind of game for me though

Oct 27, 2017
I never would have guessed that Konami was right all along. Partial sarcasm there, but really it makes me wonder. I'll keep an eye on it but I won't be surprised if it turns out to be one of the most over hyped games of the decade. I really wish they would have delivered a Silent Hills type experience. It looks like a product of self indulgence, and an excuse to shove cameo after cameo of Hideo's friends into a game. It could still surprise me, but every time I see this game and those long drawn out cut scenes with digital actors mugging the camera, it annoys me more and more. My initial reaction to the game play was Kojima is actually taking the piss here. I feel like he is trolling everyone at this point and the fans who place him on a pedestal are the punchline. Maybe it will be great but right now I'm struggling to believe any hype surrounding this game is genuinely for the game itself and not Kojima.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I still don't know if this game will be for me, but I can't fault it for not at least being unique. It does also ooze style and quirkiness, and it's certainly a a pretty fresg concept (AAA delivery man game). Thing is, it also looks like it could get tedious or might be too slow for many, even me. I guess we'll see.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If they don't want people to get the wrong impression why don't they just show interesting gameplay? They can do that without giving everything away, you know?
Seriously, they choose the gameplay to show, and how much to show. They have no right to be upset if after years of pretentious hype and trailers they show a minimal amount of boring looking gameplay and people aren't satisfied

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
So it's not been mentioned but with the terrain topography coupled with the need to carry large amounts of items, this almost seems like a backpacking/hiking sim in some way? Traversal is definitely a large part of it by the looks of things.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
Is that Matt Mercer voicing Geoff? Role of a lifetime. That's going in the Twitter bio whoever it is that's voicing him.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I've never played a Kojima game. Still waiting for a reason to make this my first. Right now the game looks interesting, but not very fun? I mean it's like UPS the game or something?

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
This did nothing to make me want to play the game. So you can take a piss. So what? Is that supposed to get me excited?