• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fandorin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am not quoting a line from my pm without authorization from the gamerunners. That being said, Gorlak is being ridiculous and turbo aggressive. And I'm saying that. Me!
My five cents is that Gorlak didn't ask for a direct quote from your PM and just worded his question for more information from you with that specific line because you didn't clarify if "weird spooky things" was actually a verbatim term from your PM. Don't think he's being unreasonable here at all.

Oct 27, 2017
*takes a deep breath*

kits.
I was marked by a handprint which I assumed to be from a neutral
you come forward and claim you are a neutral hunting cop. weird spooky thing.
I ask is weird spooky thing everything you got?
Because.. how do these two go together?
Why are you not a real cop? etc.

I just can't. If it's illogical to you, fine. I don't care anymore.
We've wasted enought time and space with this.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My five cents is that Gorlak didn't ask for a direct quote from your PM and just worded his question for more information from you with that specific line because you didn't clarify if "weird spooky things" was actually a verbatim term from your PM. Don't think he's being unreasonable here at all.
I read it as being unsatisfied with anything less than verbatim. It read as weirdly demanding.

*takes a deep breath*

kits.
I was marked by a handprint which I assumed to be from a neutral
you come forward and claim you are a neutral hunting cop. weird spooky thing.
I ask is weird spooky thing everything you got?
Because.. how do these two go together?
Why are you not a real cop? etc.

I just can't. If it's illogical to you, fine. I don't care anymore.
We've wasted enought time and space with this.
It's fine, we can come back to this when it's less heated for both of us. We are talking completely past one another.

Oct 27, 2017
My takeaway is that it was probably indeed a neutral that marked me.
And kits is likely telling the truth, and town.

This would make a 3 scum member team more likely. Kits said the same before.

Oct 27, 2017
Monkey is probably town too. This is such a weird thing to make up. Scum have been given full fake claims, but monkey pulling this D2? Nah.

Which means I have to look at Mao again.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Could you reveal who marked you? I'll track them tonight.
That was a bluff and the culprit called it. I was surprised that no one mentioned Ketkat already flipping a variation of self-watcher because I'm definitely not one.

I hoped to get some reactions, but the responses were rare. *afair* Kalor was the first to ask about it. Mao assumed it was a scum power. Monkey acknowledged sth. happened. And Fantomas later asks if we all ignore this. Lastly Fran asks directly if I know who it was. And I don't.

This is all I've got.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Well, don't do that. But between Fat4All's prioritization of information in his posts and the mixup about the Hated modifier, I'm getting a weird sense from his reactions here. Everyone else makes sense to me and some of the reactions I've been using to kinda get a sense of how bastard they think the game might be but his I can't get a fix on.
I can't really get a good read on Fat at all yet, he's a firm Null in my mind. He's kind of poking and prodding with questions, but I don't really know what his reads are or who he thinks is suspicious here.
It reminds me of Conspiracy where we had several useless cops around (unless you count someone fake red checking an alien).
Hey now, the Amnesiac Cop was pretty helpful! ;)
I've felt Mao is town at EoD1, now I'm fearing he's trying to keep me pocketed. (idk, am I?)
That was a sense that I got a bit, yeah. Like Mao was clinging to someone who seemed to be on his side here still, and was trying to boost your arguments against Monkey by using the "safety net" term that you originally used.
To me it sounds that you are the neutral. Why would a townie have to look your one specific player?
It's also not a stupid thing to get hung up on because if Fran convinces everyone else I'm the neutral then they stop looking for the actual neutral. Which only helps them.
Yeah, but when it gets to a certain point I feel like throwing up my hands. "This is only a neutral power, why on earth would Town have it" is a question I fundamentally can't answer because I'm not a game designer, nor am I these game designers. When that is the crux of a read, I feel like I'm smashing my head against a brick wall if I try to fight against it, if that makes sense. I still don't blame you for it though-- the role is whack as shit. Which is part of why I revealed it. It helps us get a better sense of the design afoot.
I can see where Fran is coming from here, it does seem like an ability a Neutral would have. That being said, I can also see whoever is making the handprints as being a Neutral as well, perhaps an Arsonist type role of some kind? That's what makes it harder for me to think of Kits as a Neutral here for now at least.
It seems that Monkey doesn't check, she just ask questions and someone else gives answers. That means that we can't trust the results.

I still think that Maol is scum.
Yeah, I'll also say, I still think Mao is Scum regardless of the new context that we have about Monkey's power.
Because he seemed like a player who was going to stick around for a long time and I wanted to cover town's blind spots.
I either die on N1, or live long enough to become pocketed by the whole Scum team, so yeah, good call.
This also means the neutral must be more powerful than normal because it has a role predicated on sniffing it ouf
The above is also why I'm worrying about this D2, Fat4all
Yeah, like I said above, if it is the one that put the handprint on Gorlak, I could see that being an Arsonist type role, which is a powerful Neutral role.
dead players is what it specifically says.
Ok, didn't see this yet when I made my last post asking for you to clarify on that. So you do know for sure that dead players are involved when it comes to the questions being asked by you.
The fact that Gorlak didn't jump @ what fanto mentioned before fanto mentioned it means either two things.

1) lying about something happening
2) not knowing much about death stranding

2) is actually plausible and the way i lean unless gorlak has a better explanation lol
(I posted this because gorlak has been threatening to reveal the identity of the handprintmaker all Day and didn't even stop to think about the meta of how my claim relates to theirs)
Yeah, Gorlak had originally seemed like he knew who targeted him with the "this is your chance to claim before I reveal" thing, which I wouldn't expect anyone to come forward with a claim about this, so if he knows who did it, why not say it? Confusing.
What Fantomas brought up looks like a perfect fit flavourwise (but that doesn't mean much)
Probably not, but it does point to a pretty obvious flavor connection between the two roles in my opinion, and since Kits came out with her's before you claimed the handprint thing, I think it makes a bit more sense than normal flavor speculation.

----

There have probably been some more posts since this, so I will try to continue getting caught up, but I leave for work in about 40 minutes or so, so don't expect too much more from me yet.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
That was a bluff and the culprit called it. I was surprised that no one mentioned Ketkat already flipping a variation of self-watcher because I'm definitely not one.

I hoped to get some reactions, but the responses were rare. *afair* Kalor was the first to ask about it. Mao assumed it was a scum power. Monkey acknowledged sth. happened. And Fantomas later asks if we all ignore this. Lastly Fran asks directly if I know who it was. And I don't.

This is all I've got.
The culprit called it? Maybe I'm just slow here but who's the culprit?

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Let me address some threads (strands??) on this and then I have some stuff about kits.

So @Dr. Monkey, earlier you said there was a chance that your ability could be misdirected, that's not the case right?

It doesn't seem like you actually target anyone with your ability, that you have to communicate through Nat with the dead player.
It has lines like:

"I check Maol (town power 1)
Someone applies the hated modifier (could be any alignment)
Someone applies a switch or redirect or something (more likely scum but indeterminate)"

Your not really checking Maol, you're getting a yes or no answer from the dead, and from a direct question.

That doesn't seem like something that can be redirected, maybe only stopped/blocked.
Short answer: I don't know. I asked about this and got a big shrug. Slightly longer answer: This is why I have some concern I could have a hidden modifier that RNGes or impacts response, which is a kind of fuckery that might make more sense than actually speaking to dead players. Because like, mechanically, what's more likely:

during the twilight window, Nat has to have dead players active who can and will answer

or it's flavor and he just gives me some answer, which may or may not be trustworthy

I find the latter more likely. Also because I can only reference a single player and can't ask general things (like I can't ask "did the mafia kill x" to check for multiple kill sources, this was a sample I asked about, or "who should I vote for") it makes me thing it might be a target thing? But I can't say for certain.

Was turmoil sending that response? Is it all just fluff? I'm having a hard time deciphering it.
you and me both, Gorlak

Unlikely because Monkey isn't investigating players. She is just asking for opinions. There is no role that would mess with that.
The answer/result I received did not seem like it came from turmoil directly. I specifically got that Maol was not aligned with town. So back again to what I have earlier in the post and the other posts - I don't know. I'm sure Nat is cackling.

the red check feels less like a red check and more like a red assumption if true

to me at least

giphy.gif
It's possible, both from the game being bastard and from the role itself.

I don't know if the phrasing of your role PM is misleading, but I don't think you've completely understood the role if you can't say for sure who "the other side" is or whether is just flavor for the investigation. It looks like you're more of a medium and could contact turmoil about some players, who maybe thought you were asking for his read on Maol and not giving out an actual red check.
source.gif

But from EoD it seems really unlikely that a sample size of one turmoil would say Maol is scum. Like in a vacuum, I don't think turmoil turns on Maol there. So it's either:
-not actually from dead players
-bastard fuckery
-if from dead player(s), they're spoiled
-if from dead player(s), they are pointing and laughing

Who would've been your choice?
Kalor, 100%, since I can NEVER read him and am almost always wrong.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is all I've got.
I ignored it because of my own role and I was waiting to see what you'd do when I revealed mine, lol, but okay then.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017

This is all I've got.
Ok, go ahead and scratch this part from my last quote wall:
Yeah, Gorlak had originally seemed like he knew who targeted him with the "this is your chance to claim before I reveal" thing, which I wouldn't expect anyone to come forward with a claim about this, so if he knows who did it, why not say it? Confusing.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is "hi im a backpack" a funnier profile quote for me than "my favourite cake is pie" because we could petition the mods

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also for those paying attention i tried something new with my claim today and actually waited to see who teased out the threads of discussion i was expecting in order to determine who was paying attention and solving the game

Woo strategy

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I noted that but I think her claim is in line with these kind of thoughts.
In line with mechanics, you mean? Because that's actually pretty interesting - kits hasn't much speculated on game state or players, but went from mechanics talk to claim. Now, her claim, like mine, is pretty fucking weird and with what I have I'm inclined to believe it's not made up or anything, but I don't know if it does get us much closer to solving, even knowing it might relate to what happened to you, Gorlak.

Been thinking a lot about that handprint and there are sinister af implications there.
To me it sounds that you are the neutral. Why would a townie have to look your one specific player?

Why would town need a role like that? Why waste a role just to look for a neutral?

To me it seems that you are the neutral and just need to find an specific player to win the game.
I agree that single-player-hunters are usually neutral - it's why I asked about win con - but if it's like an arsonist type or something, maybe? The target, I mean. Probably not actual arsonist with the flavor but something along those lines.

Yeah, but when it gets to a certain point I feel like throwing up my hands. "This is only a neutral power, why on earth would Town have it" is a question I fundamentally can't answer because I'm not a game designer, nor am I these game designers. When that is the crux of a read, I feel like I'm smashing my head against a brick wall if I try to fight against it, if that makes sense. I still don't blame you for it though-- the role is whack as shit. Which is part of why I revealed it. It helps us get a better sense of the design afoot.

man I empathize with this
I think it's brilliant to take all these half ideas from the reveals and stitch them together tho.

Fran

Oct 25, 2017
The answer/result I received did not seem like it came from turmoil directly. I specifically got that Maol was not aligned with town. So back again to what I have earlier in the post and the other posts - I don't know. I'm sure Nat is cackling.

Help me understand this: Did you get a "maol is not town" answer or did you asked "Is Maol town?" and the answer is just "No".

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Dr. Monkey why do assume that the response you get is actual info when it's from the dead? Why did you sell it from the get go as a definitve red check?
And why have you been avoiding this question I've seen pop up several times Monkey?
I actually addressed this previously so don't frame this shit like it's some kinda gotcha. I'm doing the best I can here with a really weird role.

I said early on that the results/answer I got was clear: Maolfunction is not aligned with town. That's why I referred to it as a red check with caveats. I don't know if something is going on but it was phrased like a regular check even though I'm an information role rather than investigative. And then last night I said that it was exciting to get this. I mean, legit I did not think that Nat would like me ask such a straightforward question considering I have to have them approved so when he took it and I got this, it felt like a lightning strike but as the day has worn on I've felt a hell of a lot less certain about it.

Put yourself in my shoes here.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so I have a mock interview today and a real one tomorrow, so I'm gonna need to go do stuff. I'll be back later but it's going to be a bit outside of occasional mobile checkins.

I think we should keep Maol on the table, considering, and figure out how what to do with the information I got. But I don't think it's all we should talk about because it gives folks some room to hide.