• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

malus

Oct 30, 2017
May as well put out a "would vote" list:

would vote today:
Maolfunction
Turmoil
(Kitsunelaine)
Meatwad
Kopite
Kalor

would consider but not likely:
Fat4All
KetKat

would not vote today
Fantomas
Fandorin
Fran
Monkey
Gorlak

I already gave my feelings about Mao and Turmoil. Kits should probably be in the would consider pile now after the replacement, but her attack on Gorlak after his vote left me with a sour taste. Meatwad only appears when prodded and doesn't have much other content. Similar situation with Kalor and Kopite. Not much content to look at and haven't really taken a stand.

KetKat doesn't have many posts, but what is there has some good thoughts in them. Not sure what to make of Fat4All.

The "won't vote" pile are mainly people that are driving discussion and I feel are trying to solve the game.

Sorry for the only short explanation. I'll have to leave soon.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just so you guys know, I was banned and then unbanned. Thankfully i can continue this game through til the end.

Fandorin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
==== DAY 1 VOTES ====
Day Start

turmoil7 (3 votes)
Gorlak - #108
Fantomas - #187 #317
Meatwad - #213
Dr. Monkey - #274 #363
Kalor - #280

Meatwad (2 votes)
Fantomas - #123 #168
Fran - #321
turmoil7 - #323 #371
Fandorin - #364
Vincent Alexander - #367 #390

Vincent Alexander (2 votes)
Dr. Monkey - #363
turmoil7 - #371

Fat4all (1 votes)
turmoil7 - #130 #205
Ketkat - #169 #373
Kopite - #272

Gorlak (1 votes)
Kitsunelaine - #109
Fantomas - #168 #187

Kalor (1 votes)
Fantomas - #317
turmoil7 - #322 #323

Ketkat (1 votes)
Maolfunction - #209

Maolfunction (1 votes)
turmoil7 - #205 #293
malus - #295

Kopite (0 votes)
turmoil7 - #50 #82

Fran (0 votes)
Kitsunelaine - #80 #109

Dr. Monkey (0 votes)
Fantomas - #52 #123
turmoil7 - #293 #322

Not voting: Fat4all, Vincent Alexander, Ketkat

Post Counts:
Fantomas: 52 Dr. Monkey: 47 turmoil7: 38 Fandorin: 37 Kitsunelaine: 29 Gorlak: 29 Fran: 20 Kopite: 18 Fat4all: 16 Maolfunction: 16 Vincent Alexander: 15 Meatwad: 14 malus: 10 Ketkat: 9 Kalor: 6

Current Countdown:
y13akc9e3o

Click here to go to the Vote Tool!

Votes are really spread out and I don't think we can count on Ketkat or Fat4 to sort things out.

The same can't be said about Vincent Alexander. Where will you vote?

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I think Vincent is a bad vote, I would rather go Turmoil if we want to go for a D1 odd behavior read. Still wouldn't mind going for Kalor, so I'm not moving my vote yet. Maybe I'd vote for Mao today, but I still feel like I'd want to see him actually engage more with the game if he doesnt want to participate much in D1 discussions.
About this: I'm on vacations this week and I fucked up and bought Civ 6 yesterday, which means that I will have no social life for the remaining of the week.
I just bought Civ 6 too, with all the DLC and expansions, so yeah, I hear you there, I put like 500 hours into Civ 5 lol.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Morning all, I see that there's been some more development over the night, but not a ton to work with still.

May as well put out that I'd be okay voting VA or Meatwad at this point, everyone else is a toss up. There's no player yet that's established themselves in my mind as not being lunch viable to me, but obviously I don't see wagons forming on players like Monkey, Fanto or Fran at this point so I'm not going to pursue those sort of lines.

A Gorlak flip could be interesting just because of the weird early interactions and those could be useful going into D2. a Turmoil flip would also be equally interesting for the same reason. Though his votes are sorta all over the place, so it'd be difficult to zero in on any particular action with him. I don't think his flip would be all that useful for town at this point and he's contributing to the game so he's not a great candidate for a D1 lunch imo.

That all being said, I'm going to Vote: Vincent Alexander for now, but I'll be around til EoD, (I think, depends on work flow stuff) so that can easily change if it looks like wagons are going elsewhere.

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Natiko

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
==== DAY 1 VOTES ====
Day Start

turmoil7 (3 votes)
Gorlak - #108
Fantomas - #187 #317
Meatwad - #213
Dr. Monkey - #274 #363
Kalor - #280

Vincent Alexander (3 votes)
Dr. Monkey - #363
turmoil7 - #371
Maolfunction - #413

Meatwad (2 votes)
Fantomas - #123 #168
Fran - #321
turmoil7 - #323 #371
Fandorin - #364
Vincent Alexander - #367 #390

Fat4all (1 votes)
turmoil7 - #130 #205
Ketkat - #169 #373
Kopite - #272

Gorlak (1 votes)
Kitsunelaine - #109
Fantomas - #168 #187

Kalor (1 votes)
Fantomas - #317
turmoil7 - #322 #323

Maolfunction (1 votes)
turmoil7 - #205 #293
malus - #295

Kopite (0 votes)
turmoil7 - #50 #82

Fran (0 votes)
Kitsunelaine - #80 #109

Dr. Monkey (0 votes)
Fantomas - #52 #123
turmoil7 - #293 #322

Ketkat (0 votes)
Maolfunction - #209 #413

Not voting: Fat4all, Vincent Alexander, Ketkat

Post Counts:
Fantomas: 53 Dr. Monkey: 47 turmoil7: 39 Fandorin: 38 Kitsunelaine: 29 Gorlak: 29 Fran: 20 Kopite: 18 Maolfunction: 17 Fat4all: 16 Vincent Alexander: 15 Meatwad: 14 malus: 10 Ketkat: 9 Kalor: 6

Current Countdown:
y13akc9e3o

Click here to go to the Vote Tool!

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
For the other popular lynch votes right now, Meatwad has been lower activity but their Turmoil vote is weird. Unless I missed it I don't believe they had a reason for it. Just sort of happened.

Vincent I see the justification for but don't feel inclined to vote for them myself.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda agree with this read on me. I know that I have pretty mild this day, mostly because almost nothing is going on. There is nothing much to talk and I'm trying to create some content but I know that I'm not prodding enought.

Can you explain this one? Because there is nothing that makes me think that Kopite could be a town lean.

About this: I'm on vacations this week and I fucked up and bought Civ 6 yesterday, which means that I will have no social life for the remaining of the week.
Hmm, maybe chilling on vacation explains why you're so reasonable, but I've got my eyes on you. (half kidding; half serious)

(for those who don't know, Fran is usually chewing me up one side or the other because of phrasing or something by now and it's weirding me tf out.)

As for Kopite, he seems a little less about following the crowd and more doing his own thing so far so I give it a townie edge.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Morning all, I see that there's been some more development over the night, but not a ton to work with still.

May as well put out that I'd be okay voting VA or Meatwad at this point, everyone else is a toss up. There's no player yet that's established themselves in my mind as not being lunch viable to me, but obviously I don't see wagons forming on players like Monkey, Fanto or Fran at this point so I'm not going to pursue those sort of lines.

A Gorlak flip could be interesting just because of the weird early interactions and those could be useful going into D2. a Turmoil flip would also be equally interesting for the same reason. Though his votes are sorta all over the place, so it'd be difficult to zero in on any particular action with him. I don't think his flip would be all that useful for town at this point and he's contributing to the game so he's not a great candidate for a D1 lunch imo.

That all being said, I'm going to Vote: Vincent Alexander for now, but I'll be around til EoD, (I think, depends on work flow stuff) so that can easily change if it looks like wagons are going elsewhere.

So if I'm understanding this, your reads right now are:
Fanto
Fran
me
=scum
(If I'm wrong here, let me know, because that's sure how it reads.)

Gorlak and turmoil are "interesting"

and then you vote VA for reasons (what reasons? I dunno) - the second person to do so while scumreading me, the person who started the train. insert thinking emoji.

The only person you actually say anything about is turmoil and that's incredibly wishy washy.

Walk me through why you think turmoil's flip wouldn't be useful for town (your phrasing).

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I need Rac to mentor me in the ways of being low-key and not providing reads without drawing attention.

I mentioned that I wanted to drive discussion, and discussion was had! Very useful for a player like me who is not good at day 1 reads. But as I also mentioned, 0 read on Meatwad. No chance I was going to keep a vote there. If I really wanted to hop on a wagon, I'd have slapped myself down on Turmoil.

You did slap yourself down on a wagon, tho. Meatwad is/was a wagon. just sayin

And rac does give reads. He's very astute. He just doesn't broadcast them in lists and shit so he often flies under the radar!

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
For the other popular lynch votes right now, Meatwad has been lower activity but their Turmoil vote is weird. Unless I missed it I don't believe they had a reason for it. Just sort of happened.

Vincent I see the justification for but don't feel inclined to vote for them myself.

You missed it, If you just look at the post where I voted then ya it looks random, but I explained previously my thinking on Turmoil and how his attempt to stir up drama with Monkey and Fran's convo seemed forced. And nothing turmoil has done since has made me feel better about him. Trying to claim he was "joking" and putting votes all over the place in search of a wagon. I'm certainly not voting at random or without good reasoning

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Monkey moving from VA 💭

Trying to no implicate herself if VA is luncheon and flips town?

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
So if I'm understanding this, your reads right now are:
Fanto
Fran
me
=scum
(If I'm wrong here, let me know, because that's sure how it reads.)

Gorlak and turmoil are "interesting"

and then you vote VA for reasons (what reasons? I dunno) - the second person to do so while scumreading me, the person who started the train. insert thinking emoji.

The only person you actually say anything about is turmoil and that's incredibly wishy washy.

Walk me through why you think turmoil's flip wouldn't be useful for town (your phrasing).
You are not understanding that correctly at all. A common trend with me it appears. Is it gonna be a running theme with you this game that I constantly have to tell you to stop putting words in my mouth? My position is that I would not be opposed to voting all three of you if a good reason for it surfaced and people were so inclined to vote that way. Nothing you all have done today is an alignment tell, so I wouldn't mind voting players that I have, at best a neutral lean on. That whole sentiment was just me saying there are no players I lean town.

I voted VA for the aforementioned by other players not contributing much nor spurring interactions. Considering it's D1, and there are no meaningful intuitions to be had about any of the players, I would be fine rolling the dice with a lunch on him.

Turmoil's flip wouldn't be great starting D2 (assuming the night yields nothing of interest) considering he's interacted with so many players. It'd be difficult to zero in on a particular interaction regardless of alignment when he's got himself interacting with most of the game now. Would make it much more difficult from a town perspective to find a good lead from any of his interactions. Town generally just isn't great when it's given a bunch of options to pursue and it's easy for scum to pick up another line that town will chase if someone gets close to them.

Gorlak, to me, would be better since his interactions are fewer, but it doesn't appear that most players are keen with that idea, so my fallback is to just go with a player who isn't contributing much to the game so it doesn't become an issue later on down the road.

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The smart thing for me to do would be to vote meatwad as he is already voting for me but all the votes he got fairly fast give me bad vibes

If anyone else wants to vote for other folks now is the time

Oct 27, 2017
I caught up on the thread when I could on my breaks, I didn't not show up. I'm on my way home so I'll be more active later
Didn't mean to call you out on not showing up, I know rl gets in the way. I'm just a tad frustrated, that I couldn't get more out of you.

My vote was obviously a prod vote because his low activity.
You're right. I was focussed on your paragraph about the low coasters, but you mention the prod aspect in #321 which I neglected.

Oct 27, 2017
turmoil7 What do you think would be a good lynch now? I'm a bit turned off with the current options. Mao lynch gets a hard no, Meatwad isn't a good lynch. I'm still hoping to see something from Vincent.

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think VA or Kalor would be interesting, alas I don't know if they would be around to claim :thisisfine:

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
You are not understanding that correctly at all. A common trend with me it appears. Is it gonna be a running theme with you this game that I constantly have to tell you to stop putting words in my mouth? My position is that I would not be opposed to voting all three of you if a good reason for it surfaced and people were so inclined to vote that way. Nothing you all have done today is an alignment tell, so I wouldn't mind voting players that I have, at best a neutral lean on. That whole sentiment was just me saying there are no players I lean town.

I voted VA for the aforementioned by other players not contributing much nor spurring interactions. Considering it's D1, and there are no meaningful intuitions to be had about any of the players, I would be fine rolling the dice with a lunch on him.

Turmoil's flip wouldn't be great starting D2 (assuming the night yields nothing of interest) considering he's interacted with so many players. It'd be difficult to zero in on a particular interaction regardless of alignment when he's got himself interacting with most of the game now. Would make it much more difficult from a town perspective to find a good lead from any of his interactions. Town generally just isn't great when it's given a bunch of options to pursue and it's easy for scum to pick up another line that town will chase if someone gets close to them.

Gorlak, to me, would be better since his interactions are fewer, but it doesn't appear that most players are keen with that idea, so my fallback is to just go with a player who isn't contributing much to the game so it doesn't become an issue later on down the road.
1. This is why I asked.
2. Maybe your positions would be more clear if they were explained or backed up in real ways when you first presented them. If you mention that me, Fran, and Fanto aren't gonna be viable trains, how else do you expect that to be read other than that you want them to be?

This is really the first time you've presented reasons for things. Though I really don't follow how you think Gorlak is better because he has FEWER interactions. How is that better? How is turmoil having MORE interactions somehow WORSE?

Fandorin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm caught up right now.

Really wanted to see a vote from VA at this point to actually have a read on him.

Trying to consider other wagons, but between turmoil and Meat I'd stay here.

Maol is just as collected (and weird) as I expected - I think I might have accustomed to his playstyle.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
1. This is why I asked.
2. Maybe your positions would be more clear if they were explained or backed up in real ways when you first presented them. If you mention that me, Fran, and Fanto aren't gonna be viable trains, how else do you expect that to be read other than that you want them to be?

This is really the first time you've presented reasons for things. Though I really don't follow how you think Gorlak is better because he has FEWER interactions. How is that better? How is turmoil having MORE interactions somehow WORSE?
If you read the post, I already explained it.

Not particularly a fan of Monkey here making posts implying that the reading comprehension required to understand my thoughts needs to be absurdly high.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna catch up and get a real vote down soonish here. I will say though, as we get closer to day end, don't just believe any old claims that pop up as that rule does exist where scum are given full fake claims.

I picked up My Time At Portia yesterday and it's been eating a lot of time as I dive into it.

Oct 26, 2017
You did slap yourself down on a wagon, tho. Meatwad is/was a wagon. just sayin

And rac does give reads. He's very astute. He just doesn't broadcast them in lists and shit so he often flies under the radar!
I suppose I saw the Meatwad as less of a wagon because folks reasonings felt weak to me. Or rather, weaker than Turmoil. Buuut you're right. There was a wagon there. And that is why I need Rac as a mentor!

Monkey moving from VA 💭

Trying to no implicate herself if VA is luncheon and flips town?
Stuff like this makes me want to vote Turmoil more because it feels like stirring the pot without taking a concrete stance.

Fandorin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you read the post, I already explained it.

Not particularly a fan of Monkey here making posts implying that the reading comprehension required to understand my thoughts needs to be absurdly high.
I've been misinterpreted by Monkey before, in this game inclusive, but I gotta agree that your reasoning over the Gorlak x turmoil lynch seem at odds with your previous posts about D1 interactions.

They're accompanied by either scum trying to act natural or townies doing their best guess work based on either meta or grasping at straws in some posts.

There's not anything substantial happening in the votes. D1 stuff is only useful to look at after people flip scum and people can look back and see what the D1 interactions were.

Any interaction at that point is useful, be it built on a vote generated by an algorithm or someone's fancy guesswork. I know I'm not flipping scum, I'm not particularly interested in trying to force myself to find something that isn't there to appear more townie.
Correct.

A random vote is something different. It produces conversation pretty easily because it's not based on anything, it creates dissent from players who think it's weird and potentially suspicious because it's different and that sort of discussion ping pongs to other things that might be more substantial; probably not, but it makes D1 a bit more interesting at the very least without doing anything brash.
Earlier you had said that even interactions caused by a "random vote" could be interesting in the long run, but now it would be best to flip the player with fewer interactions?

Fandorin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I suppose I saw the Meatwad as less of a wagon because folks reasonings felt weak to me. Or rather, weaker than Turmoil. Buuut you're right. There was a wagon there. And that is why I need Rac as a mentor!

Stuff like this makes me want to vote Turmoil more because it feels like stirring the pot without taking a concrete stance.
Then do it? He's the only player you have actually talked about so far despite never actually voting for him.

Oct 26, 2017
Then do it? He's the only player you have actually talked about so far despite never actually voting for him.
I will when I'm good and ready!

If there is one thing turmoil has a stance on than it's his monkey scum read, what are you talking about?
Taking a statement and phrasing it like a question ("trying to no implicate herself if VA is luncheon and flips town?") is stirring the pot without taking a stance on the very question posed. Of course, I know what the stance is, but it's the nature of how that is phrased that is stirring. Not always a scum tell, but it's something for me.

OK. Now I'm good and ready.

VOTE: Turmoil7

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is this just self-preservation? I've been looking over all the top wagons and I think Meatwad is the one I feel the worst about, as in, I wouldn't go there. Fran's vote is a prod vote, and Fandorin's vote is primarily because Meatwad hadn't given any reads.
It is, we are running out of time if you want a different wagon vote now for someone else

Oct 27, 2017
1. This is why I asked.

I was waiting for this response.

Mao's first post was fine, even if he didn't give a reason for his VA vote. Your interpretation however was pretty wide out there. Now his response in #424 is oozing in logic so much that it hurts. I honestly can't fathom how you still vote him. I pretty much agree with every point he's making.

Turmoil was all over the place and blurred the lines to any and everyone. My flip would give more certain leads, better info on kits and you in particular. The fact that I have to spell it out to you is worrying.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
I've been misinterpreted by Monkey before, in this game inclusive, but I gotta agree that your reasoning over the Gorlak x turmoil lynch seem at odds with your previous posts about D1 interactions.

Earlier you had said that even interactions caused by a "random vote" could be interesting in the long run, but now it would be best to flip the player with fewer interactions?
Right, D1 interactions become more useful the longer into the game we go. The only particularly good interactions on D1 are scum interactions with other players and those are only useful after scum have flipped and town can go back and look at who they interacted with in order to build a larger picture of the scum team composition.

Going into D2 though, the odds of getting a scum flip on the first lunch are extremely low, so lunching someone based on having a higher number of interactions I don't think is great for town because giving town a lot of potential lines to follow results in scum being able to pick one of those lines and lead town away from them.

If a player had fewer meaningful interactions, then it's more difficult for scum to lead town away from them if one of those interactions is linked to scum.

It's playing the odds. You have a better chance of winning if it's 1 in 3 as opposed to 1 in 7. (And yes, all 3 or 7 lines could be busts, but that's mafia) This is just early game philosophy, once we reach mid game and there's more info to be gained from flips and role use, the strategy changes.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Ok I'm on lunch now, didnt take a late one but it's slow enough here that I've been popping in and keeping up so I anticipate I'll still be able to keep an eye on things as we close out the hour.

I'm not a fan of Mao's interactions with Monkey most recently, I also read that post as saying that he would prefer seeing me, Monkey, or Fran up for the vote but lamenting that others wouldn't go there.

I'll think a bit, and will answer any questions directed at me for the next half hour, but I do find it interesting that no one seems to want to follow me to Kalor despite that being just as much of a D1 vote as any of the other trains as far as I can tell. I wish I had some more time to get more thoughts down, but it takes me forever to type on mobile.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Mao's first post was fine, even if he didn't give a reason for his VA vote. Your interpretation however was pretty wide out there. Now his response in #424 is oozing in logic so much that it hurts. I honestly can't fathom how you still vote him. I pretty much agree with every point he's making.

Turmoil was all over the place and blurred the lines to any and everyone. My flip would give more certain leads, better info on kits and you in particular. The fact that I have to spell it out to you is worrying.
I don't need you to explain it. I simply disagree and I wanted to know why Maolfunction himself felt that fewer interactions=better flip, but I get the feeling he'd rather be snarky than build out reasons for his actions.

It's my feeling (almost always) that more interactions=better flip, particularly when we're talking about something in early game that we will want to reference again later. Ties to more players = more clues and more places to look. And while turmoil has interacted with more people than you, I don't think it's been quite so wild as you frame it here and there have been very specific conversation threads that can be followed.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of people jumping on Turmoil makes him feel like he's just the easy target for town to make a mistake with, and while Mao's post is full of logic about who he would rather vote and where, it ultimately boils down to the fact that he's voting for someone because they're low activity.

You seem to be very keyed into voting for information, and while that's certainly a viable strategy, it kind of flies in the face of creating these meaningful interactions for people to look back on later in the game when you aim for someone low activity. It creates this distance between you and everyone else on the vote while allowing you to put a vote somewhere safe.

Vote: Maolfunction

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Right, D1 interactions become more useful the longer into the game we go. The only particularly good interactions on D1 are scum interactions with other players and those are only useful after scum have flipped and town can go back and look at who they interacted with in order to build a larger picture of the scum team composition.

Going into D2 though, the odds of getting a scum flip on the first lunch are extremely low, so lunching someone based on having a higher number of interactions I don't think is great for town because giving town a lot of potential lines to follow results in scum being able to pick one of those lines and lead town away from them.

If a player had fewer meaningful interactions, then it's more difficult for scum to lead town away from them if one of those interactions is linked to scum.

It's playing the odds. You have a better chance of winning if it's 1 in 3 as opposed to 1 in 7. (And yes, all 3 or 7 lines could be busts, but that's mafia) This is just early game philosophy, once we reach mid game and there's more info to be gained from flips and role use, the strategy changes.
Okay, here we go, I appreciate this and retract my post a moment ago - but I gotta say, man, it's frustrating when you gotta dig reasons out of people. We need reasons.

In a 13 player game, if we want to go back to number discussion, our odds aren't that bad. But no matter what, we get A flip and SOME information, even if we're wrong - so my feeling is vote the person most likely to be scum--

vote: turmoil7

and be as confident as you can in your vote considering the game state.

But I do simply disagree about what we get out of various flips versus interactions. More clues, more trails to follow, more opportunities to solve the game.