• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Dr. Monkey you know damn well that games were lost because scum numbers were underestimated. 20% vs 26.6% scum. These are different worlds with different implications. What's your problem here? How's any of this baseless?

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Dr. Monkey you know damn well that games were lost because scum numbers were underestimated. 20% vs 26.6% scum. These are different worlds with different implications. What's your problem here? How's any of this baseless?
I encourage you to go back and reread since I already addressed the numbers aspect vs what I was actually objecting to.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017

Fran

Oct 25, 2017

Are you seriously saying that it's important that we discuss scum numbers during D1?

Really?

It must be the most useless discussion we can have D1 after No Lynch.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
vote: Gorlak

Making a pass at trying to seem more justified than anyone else on D1 with voting reeks of trying to start trains early

Can you expand on this a bit when you get a chance? While Gorlak's vote is definitely the most serious up to that point, I'm not sure I understand how you feel that he's trying to start a train early instead of aiming for something that isn't just a joke

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you expand on this a bit when you get a chance? While Gorlak's vote is definitely the most serious up to that point, I'm not sure I understand how you feel that he's trying to start a train early instead of aiming for something that isn't just a joke

It read as far too trigger happy in my eyes, like he was waiting for a chance to pounce. If that makes sense. I'm dubious of anybody doing that this early in D1.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It read as far too trigger happy in my eyes, like he was waiting for a chance to pounce. If that makes sense. I'm dubious of anybody doing that this early in D1.

Hm, alright. I'm not sure I fully agree, but I do see where you're coming from.

As for all of this stuff, I don't think that it's baseless to speculate based on the number of players, but it's also way too early to be focused on numbers. All we have to go on are our own roles in a role madness game, so we need to see some flips to really figure out anything semi-concrete.

This is a weirdly defensive post tbh as your initial post seemed to want to just throw this out there so that it's over and done with, so I'm not sure where this is coming from.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Morning all, sorry for not being around yesterday. Sunday is when I visit the folks and I don't have time to check Era when I'm over there and I took the first hour of the day today to clear my work plate for the rest of today.

I'll be free the rest of the day and can pop into the thread every now and again. Having caught up with the thread, I'm not seeing any behavior that immediately catches my attention, though I am watching the interactions between turmoil and Dr Monkey.

Not sure who I'd be willing to lunch at this point. Game is still in its early early phase, and there's not enough happening for me yet to push anyone in particular yet.

People making assumptions about setup seem a bit eager and I think it's far too premature to be making serious reads based off guesses about numbers. Dragging statistics into the mix is a gambler's fallacy too. Might be a distraction, but could be eager town too. Not enough for me to make a read.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not sure what to make of Gorlak avoiding my actual objection a second time in favor of deflecting, but I'm in meetings for the next several hours so I'll chew on it.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
On break again, not much to comment on I suppose. I agree that Gorlak seemed a bit defensive when he initially came off pretty chill about the numbers discussion, not sure if theres much to read into there yet though but worth mentioning.

I know it's early but I'm still not seeing many votes get tossed around.

Vote: Gorlak

So in that case, I'll vote for someone who is a recent topic at the least.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the only person I don't want to vote right now is Fantomas. He feels pretty eager and like his usual town self, and while he might betray me at some point, I'm okay with him for right now.

Soooo, for now.

Vote: Fat4All

Tell me about yourself. What makes a dog tick? Who smells bad to you so far?

Oct 26, 2017
As I sit here pondering what little there is to ponder, this came to mind for some reason:

OHGylrx.png

Fran

Oct 25, 2017
What is your take on the Fran x Monkey discussion now after it simply dissolved into nothing?

What discussion? There was no discussion.

That almost no one is interested into making it a thing

It will be something to look back at if one or both tuns out to be scum

Why are you trying to link our aligments?

I meant the Fran x Monkey tie we had early on after turmoil unvoted from Kopite. Not surprised you don't remember it.

Are you talking about votes? Because those are obvious joke votes.

malus

Oct 30, 2017
It's definitely too early to discuss numbers, buy I'm not sure I want to put Gorlak as Scum for bringing it up.

I didn't even realize there was a thing between Fran and Monkey until Turmoil made it the center of his argument. It seems a bit premature to call a tie between two joke votes as serious wagons.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, let's ask some questions to the room in general, maybe that will get the activity picked up here (not that I'm complaining really, I was just expecting to play catch up in here).

How do people feel about Monkey so far? I think she seems fine, for now, doing her usual thing, leaning on Meta to put reads on me while scrutinizing posts from others.

How about Fran? Nothing sticking out to me too much, questioning people, seems to believe what he is saying so far at least which makes me lean in the town direction early.

Fandorin? Now that's a tough one, seems kind of like hes struggling to contribute so far but wants to have a presence, not sure if its alignment indicative or not, so not really leaning either way on him yet.

Gorlak? I suppose I need more to work with, similar feelings as I have about Fando I guess.

Turmoil? I used to think I could read him good, but I've since been wrong a couple times on him. I do feel like he would try to be more lowkey than this if he was Scum though, but that's just the Meta talking.

Those are the players that stick out just off the top of my head while I'm sitting here on my lunch break at least. I'll respond more and add any additional thoughts when I get home in a couple hours.

Fran

Oct 25, 2017
Overall your interactions felt faked

What interactions? I see only jokes.

Ok, let's ask some questions to the room in general, maybe that will get the activity picked up here (not that I'm complaining really, I was just expecting to play catch up in here).

I think it's pretty early to start doing this but I'm bored so I will answer:

[/QUOTE]How do people feel about Monkey so far? I think she seems fine, for now, doing her usual thing, leaning on Meta to put reads on me while scrutinizing posts from others.[/QUOTE]

I think this is usual Monkey, so she must be scum (And just for the record: I'm joking.)

[/QUOTE]How about Fran? Nothing sticking out to me too much, questioning people, seems to believe what he is saying so far at least which makes me lean in the town direction early.[/QUOTE]

The towniest town.

[/QUOTE]Fandorin? Now that's a tough one, seems kind of like hes struggling to contribute so far but wants to have a presence, not sure if its alignment indicative or not, so not really leaning either way on him yet.[/QUOTE]

Eager but with little content. Which means nothing because it's D1 and barely anything has passed.

[/QUOTE]Gorlak? I suppose I need more to work with, similar feelings as I have about Fando I guess.[/QUOTE]

I don't remember if I ever played against scum!Gorlak but him being so invested in discussing scum numbers feels bad. That's a useless discussion to have today.

[/QUOTE]Turmoil? I used to think I could read him good, but I've since been wrong a couple times on him. I do feel like he would try to be more lowkey than this if he was Scum though, but that's just the Meta talking.[/QUOTE]

I don't feel good about Turmoil right now. He is trying really hard to link Monkey and mine aligment with barely nothing to work with. I don't like the narrative that he is trying to set.

I also don't like Kalor's only post:

Provided you are telling the truth, how does that benefit town in anyway?

VA claim was obvious a joke. How would that benefit town?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

How do people feel about Monkey so far? I think she seems fine, for now, doing her usual thing, leaning on Meta to put reads on me while scrutinizing posts from others.

How about Fran? Nothing sticking out to me too much, questioning people, seems to believe what he is saying so far at least which makes me lean in the town direction early.

Fandorin? Now that's a tough one, seems kind of like hes struggling to contribute so far but wants to have a presence, not sure if its alignment indicative or not, so not really leaning either way on him yet.

Gorlak? I suppose I need more to work with, similar feelings as I have about Fando I guess.

Turmoil? I used to think I could read him good, but I've since been wrong a couple times on him. I do feel like he would try to be more lowkey than this if he was Scum though, but that's just the Meta talking.

Those are the players that stick out just off the top of my head while I'm sitting here on my lunch break at least. I'll respond more and add any additional thoughts when I get home in a couple hours.

None of those players have really stuck out to me besides the fact they're the more prominent posters.

ce been wrong a couple times on him. I do feel like he would try to be more lowkey than this if he was Scum though, but that's just the Meta talking.

I don't feel good about Turmoil right now. He is trying really hard to link Monkey and mine aligment with barely nothing to work with. I don't like the narrative that he is trying to set.

I also don't like Kalor's only post:

VA claim was obvious a joke. How would that benefit town?
[/QUOTE]

I wasn't saying it would benefit town. Even if it wasn't a joke I was trying to see how they would justify it because I can't think of any reasoning for it. I've played enough games at this point that I don't really take potential claims like that as jokes, especially one worded like that when it could have went both ways, and it creates a potential discussion point either way. I have played with Vincent before but I have 0 memory of them doing that before, though apparently they have.

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played/speced a game with scum fandorin but so far his play seems normal so I lean town there.

Ketkat doesn't look suspicious either, lean town

Malus, Kopite, Kalor, I want to see more from, null

Fran, monkey, lean scum, they're planning something sketchy I bet

Fat4all, scum, posting only jokes and GIFs looks like the perfect excuse to avoid explaining ones play later in game

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Overall your interactions felt faked
What feels fake, exactly?

Is making slant comments and not actually backing anything up just going to be your MO this whole game or...? Because you keep saying this while not actually saying anything at all.

I've got dinner and then four apps to do tonight (whee.) but I'll be around after/between. Few things that have been posted that I want to comment more in depth on.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
What do we usually talk about on D1? I feel like I have nothing to say or respond to, but obviously we need to make posts and give opinions if we want to play the game.

Turmoil feels like bait at this point, like all my usual D1 instincts are telling me he's Scum, so I'm just sitting here like "Why!?" especially because I have a habit of being dead wrong on D1 lately. He's throwing out random half-thought-out takes like "Fran and Monkey are probably Scum together, and they're planning something!" which is like, ok, tell me more please if you really believe this? What was it about my joke vote on Monkey and Kits' joke vote on Fran that suddenly made this a thing? I'm so confused by that take.

I don't know, I have a few things I need to get done quick now that I'm home, then I'm going to eat something, then I'll be back here for the evening/night I suppose if people want to chat.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do we usually talk about on D1? I feel like I have nothing to say or respond to, but obviously we need to make posts and give opinions if we want to play the game.

Turmoil feels like bait at this point, like all my usual D1 instincts are telling me he's Scum, so I'm just sitting here like "Why!?" especially because I have a habit of being dead wrong on D1 lately. He's throwing out random half-thought-out takes like "Fran and Monkey are probably Scum together, and they're planning something!" which is like, ok, tell me more please if you really believe this? What was it about my joke vote on Monkey and Kits' joke vote on Fran that suddenly made this a thing? I'm so confused by that take.

I don't know, I have a few things I need to get done quick now that I'm home, then I'm going to eat something, then I'll be back here for the evening/night I suppose if people want to chat.

Well, most people are dead wrong on Day 1. If you feel like Turmoil is scum, then let's start there.

turmoil7

Can you explain your reads on Fran and Monkey a bit? What's making you lean scum on them?

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I mean I suppose:

Vote: turmoil7

Turmoil my dude, it feels like you are just throwing stuff out here so far and that you do not actually believe in it, which makes me view you as more likely to be Scum than Town. Give me more, be specific, quote some posts, convince me you aren't just bullshitting right now.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017

I like Monkey. Kits made an ok point that Gorlak seemed a little too 'acting justified' this game, but I think it's nowhere near enough to get lunched.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Nope, it's dumb "look busy" effort and the fact that turmoil was also pushing it after Gorlak started it makes me wonder about the two of them together, d1 early vote aside. That's my hot take for now.
I'm not a particularly good player, but how much can you do on d1 that doesn't seem like busywork anyway

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
What "traditional strong town player" made a flimsy vote to you? Are you thinking about turmoil?
It isn't necessarily a vote, I just think it's likely that by the end of D1 we have candidates on the block for weak reasons. And from past game(s) I'd rather not lynch good town players. Having said that I don't even know who the good town players are in this game, I'm just going off what I remember from past games

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I like Monkey. Kits made an ok point that Gorlak seemed a little too 'acting justified' this game, but I think it's nowhere near enough to get lunched.
I like Monkey too.
Doggo is a good vote, this may be Era-Meta but I feel Fat4All will be a Blarglike figure in the game who I'd like to get rid of early if no one else is very scummy.
He's actually not too Blarg-like from what I remember. I can't remember if I've played with him once or twice now, but I know I played with him for sure when he replaced into Love Boat 3. He was Scum there, but he was still playing the game normally, though he is known for making funny images like that one with Kits from earlier lol.
It isn't necessarily a vote, I just think it's likely that by the end of D1 we have candidates on the block for weak reasons. And from past game(s) I'd rather not lynch good town players. Having said that I don't even know who the good town players are in this game, I'm just going off what I remember from past games
Is this trauma from when those bastards voted you, Kate Marsh, out of the game on D1 in LiS? I'll never forgive them!

Fran

Oct 25, 2017
Doggo is a good vote, this may be Era-Meta but I feel Fat4All will be a Blarglike figure in the game who I'd like to get rid of early if no one else is very scummy.

This Is not Fat4all first game. He Is way less chaotic than Blarg.

Let's forget about good town players. Do you even know who are town players? That's why I don't think it's a good idea to give players a pass bases on meta.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, let's see here. The day ends tomorrow, right? So like, I've got maybe a few times I can post before EoD and I'm not planning to let them go to waste. I am going to force you all to interact with me if it's the last thing I do!

Maolfunction I'm guessing something must have come up because your post from earlier assuring us you'd be free all day seems to have not come true. Hopefully everything's ok, but if you do come around again and want to play, I would like to hear some more from you.

Meatwad ok I voted for you, Malus tagged you, you showed up and said you'd be fully engaged now, we laughed about GoT, and then you disappeared again. There was a reason I voted for you in GoT, it was because of shit like this. So come around and give me some thoughts on the game please!

Kalor you've been too quiet and I would have no problem voting for you just so I don't have to keep writing "Kalor - Null" in my future read lists.

There, that covers the people who have made 2 or less posts so far. I would happily vote for any of you on D1 if you don't give me something to work with. :)

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Meatwad ok I voted for you, Malus tagged you, you showed up and said you'd be fully engaged now, we laughed about GoT, and then you disappeared again. There was a reason I voted for you in GoT, it was because of shit like this. So come around and give me some thoughts on the game please!

Da,n I'm over here doing my homework lol, I mean it's early game so I'm feeling pretty neutral towards everyone right now. I guess the biggest thing that sticks out to me is Turmoil trying to make Monkey x Fran a thing. I certainly don't see anything fake about their discussions. So it does seem a bit forced on Turmoil's part. But that's the best I got now. I don't really excel at the early game

Fandorin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Monkey: I've been gaslighted by Scum! Monkey before (MafiaEra especially) so I'm a bit wary of her after I really struck her attention early on and she didn't bother addressing my answer to it. I was kinda waiting for her read on me to assess this properly, but nothing so far. Not voting here yet but not cutting her a slack with a easy town lean at this point.

Fran: Lean town as his usual picky self. Really hard to pick up if scum early on, but gets progressively easier to read to me. Don't think I'd vote here today.

Fandorin: Damn, "struggling to contribute" is kinda harsh lol.

Gorlak: Didn't mind the numbers / powers discussion and don't think he got "defensive" over his points like some pointed out, but thinking about it now I dislike how nothing else came from him after this.

turmoil: Not really ringing any alarms to me - the fact he continues throwing out underdeveloped reads and hot takes despite being under heat on D1 doesn't really smell like scum to me.

Fandorin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Da,n I'm over here doing my homework lol, I mean it's early game so I'm feeling pretty neutral towards everyone right now. I guess the biggest thing that sticks out to me is Turmoil trying to make Monkey x Fran a thing. I certainly don't see anything fake about their discussions. So it does seem a bit forced on Turmoil's part. But that's the best I got now. I don't really excel at the early game
Funny how this is the second time you come up immediatly after being @'d. That's some hardcore lurking.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I was actually reading the thread and was about to post when I got @, I swear it's a coincidence

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, let's see here. The day ends tomorrow, right? So like, I've got maybe a few times I can post before EoD and I'm not planning to let them go to waste. I am going to force you all to interact with me if it's the last thing I do!

Maolfunction I'm guessing something must have come up because your post from earlier assuring us you'd be free all day seems to have not come true. Hopefully everything's ok, but if you do come around again and want to play, I would like to hear some more from you.

Kalor you've been too quiet and I would have no problem voting for you just so I don't have to keep writing "Kalor - Null" in my future read lists.

There, that covers the people who have made 2 or less posts so far. I would happily vote for any of you on D1 if you don't give me something to work with. :)
I'm here, but just watching the thread. Nothing being talked about is really striking me as anything worth commenting on. Most of the discussion has fallen into either meta behavior or people commenting on things that I've read earlier on that I don't feel I need to comment on.

D1 is always a toss up to me, and it's difficult to latch onto any discussion in a meaningful way since so much of D1 discussion is either forced or guesswork unless a player specifically makes a move early on, which hasn't happened.

At this point, still not seeing any player I'd drop a vote on, it still feels very early in the game and people are still just learning who's who. It's a situation where watching the top contributors seems most valuable to me because watching them try and steer where the day goes and ultimately winds up will result in something to work come D2.

That being said, I agree with Fran and don't like the idea of keeping players off the voting table due to prior town meta, everyone should be an option D1. If someone slips or makes a poor play then they should face a vote, meta be damned.

Fandorin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Further on what Fran said, good town players are probably good scum players as well, so this sort of reasoning isn't really advisable.

I appreciate your reasoning either way, thought you had someone on your mind already.