• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you think?

• I'm excited for this

Votes: 3,859 73.9%
  • Did nothing for me

Votes: 611 11.7%
  • Eh, it's alright

Votes: 750 14.4%

• Total voters

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Smart people can interpret complex themes or ideas and make them easy for others to understand. Pretentious people take simple themes and make them complex and difficult to understand so they come across as smart. This is Kojima.

But the man sure knows how to design some sweet gameplay loops and that's what I'm here for.

Kojima is taking the theme and making it entertaining. That's what is happening. If this game wasn't weird as hell, I would care less.

CheeseWraith

Oct 28, 2017
This is perfect. The game, the cast, the metareferences...everything.

That final monologue. That's the whole concept in a nutshell.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
ssAVo6H.gif

Well Kojima and his team ultra modified Decima to make it look even better than Frostbite.
I can't imagine this engine with ray-tracing on PS5.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Well of course THAT stuff needs to be explained and I'm hoping it will be in game. But the actual theme and what our goal at least as we know it now is fairly simple imo.
Agreed. I actually felt like with this trailer, the game will be a lot more straightforward than it seemed before. it will just have a lot of this fantastical stuff in it, but the main themes and storyline seem pretty straightforward, at least from the trailer. Of course, there is and will be crazy shit there.

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I may want to read a story synopsis or something but I don't feel like I want to play it based on what I've seen.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Hell yeah I'm pretty excited. That looked all the right kinds of crazy. Initially from all the horror teasers I was afraid it would be a long form of the worst parts of MGSV, namely the Skulls fights, and there still seems to be some of that, but even if it turns out crap, I'm still super in for Mads Mikkelsen and Lea Seydoux if nothing else.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Based on what? A hunch? I think that is some baseless projection, and rather insulting to those who have a different opinion from your own. I think it looks intriguing and rather insane. I mean there are obviously those that like things easily explicable, or narratively straight forward. It is precisely the chaotic creativity on display in this game that intrigues me. Well, that plus the incredible visuals / art on display.
Based on how bad the trailer is and how most people I have seen liked it mixed with the cult following and reverence Kojima has, it's not exactly uncommon for people already on the "hype train" to overlook flaws. People have been massively hyping this up since it's first (brilliant) trailer largely because of Kojima. Of course this is only my opinion and I have no way proving it if that's what you're asking.

Things don't have to be narrative straight forward but that doesn't mean this mess of a trailer was any good just because it wasn't. If you find my opinion on the trailer insulting I really don't know what to say, I'm not trying to stop you from enjoying it, enjoy it to your hearts content. Just posting my own musings on it.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Holy, i was midly following death stranding till niw but that trailer made me curious. AAA quality. Kojima shenanigans are always good for entertainment even when you understand only half of it without reading some wiki.

People already heated here, review thread is going to be some wild ride, no matter the scores.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So any guesses on who will voice Del Toro, I read that he only lent his likeness and will not provide the voice, we didnt hear him speak in the trailer, it was all muted.

But who knows, maybe that has changed.

Or maybe Kiefer.

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
Will pick this up solely for the story/characters. Normally not too big on these "walking sim" type games but it does look interesting.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
The "and we still don't know what it's about" comments are kinda moot now.

Like, do y'all need to know EVERYTHING? We know the themes, characters and some gameplay mechanics. I'm good till release

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a dangerous thing to celebrate. Especially as we don't know the hours or possible crunch the workers had to go through to get the game out in that time.

True, doesn't change the fact he does not take eons to release a game.

MGSV was an outlier because

1 - They had to create an all new engine
2 - They had zero experience with open world

In every other case Kojima makes games at a fairly decent pace.

Crackdown 3 was plagued by the promise of the cloud technology. Not a good example to use in this conversation.
Below is produced by a small developer.
We're talking about Kojima with deep budget and experienced crews.
"Brand new studio" is just not true when you have 100% support from Sony.
3 years is just typical time for modern AAA game development.

When it's a known IP, with an established studio, yes, usually.

But given Kojima's circumstances and the fact many AAA games take much longer to make than 3 years (God of War/Spider-Man took 4 years for example) I'd say he and his team have done incredibly well.

sebco

Oct 27, 2017
Again, Kojima literally got fired and lost his entire team. He quickly made a deal with Sony within a couple of days, announced it. Went to work on a teaser with a skeleton crew of loyal devs who were barred from speaking to him towards the end of his career at konami. And within six months, he had a realtime teaser trailer ready on Sucker Punch's engine which wasnt even the final engine. He built his own studio from scratch and while hiring folks, he managed to release 4 trailers, long ones at pretty much every big conference over the next few years. and now hes ready to release his game in the next few months when everyone assumed it was a cross gen PS5 launch title. He will launch before Sucker Punch's next game, despite being two full years behind. Doesnt mean they are lazy, just means he's more efficient.

It's Guerrilla Games engine but yeah the output from the Kojima team is super impressive. I do hope they're not under some of the same sort of crunch we've been seeing across the industry recently.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
so did someone say, "Homodemons" or something in that trailer?

4chan is going to have a god damn field day with that...

Based on how bad the trailer is and how most people I have seen liked it mixed with the cult following and reverence Kojima has, it's not exactly uncommon for people already on the "hype train" to overlook flaws. People have been massively hyping this up since it's first (brilliant) trailer largely because of Kojima. Of course this is only my opinion and I have no way proving it if that's what you're asking.

Things don't have to be narrative straight forward but that doesn't mean this mess of a trailer was any good just because it wasn't. If you find my opinion on the trailer insulting I really don't know what to say, I'm not trying to stop you from enjoying it, enjoy it to your hearts content. Just posting my own musings on it.

whoa yikes what Lol?

Oct 28, 2017
It looks okay I guess, wish they shown this stuff last E3 instead of Norman Reedus walking through a field. I'll definitely check it down the line since this is the future of KojiPro.

Oct 25, 2017
Also gotta give a shoutout to GG and the Decima engine. When Kojima revealed this game he didn't even have an engine for it. Now it's about to be released in 6 months. 3-4 years to create a game with a new studio, new engine. It's clear Kojima had the ideo for the game done before he started using the engine and it was about just creating everything else.

Still it shows that Decima is very easy to work with and no doubt improved on. Horizon is going to look fantastic next gen.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

Fine. I don't agree.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's time to put our money where our mouth is. Here's the big budget, new and original IP triple A game with innovative ideas we've been looking for. Oh and it's single player story driven game, no service-y crap.

I'm so down on this game I'm in the basement!

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
Well I am hyped as fuck. I've been trying to stay away from these hype trains. Trying to temper my excitement. But I love Kojima and I loved that trailer.

Damnit

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I get major disaster report/breath of the wild vibes from the walking about/climb anything gameplay aspects. It's clearly a game trying to remove a lot of the arbitrary restrictions most games have in regards to exploration.