• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you think?

• I'm excited for this

Votes: 3,859 73.9%
  • Did nothing for me

Votes: 611 11.7%
  • Eh, it's alright

Votes: 750 14.4%

• Total voters

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Man it's gonna be weird watching Del Toro in this game speak with someone else's voice lol.

Yeah. this is what I am
4bhs8i80rw131.jpg

you see this figure for like a split second after Sam is dragged

Could this be one of the 5 floating things we have seen in the other trailers?

Did you see the Japanese trailer? it's probably just the monster he fights there

Nope it's the whale we saw fro the Ludens video on the moon and the whale from MGS5.

Jun 26, 2018

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This has been my theory since the second trailer was released, but

It's the logistics of it all. DC being the epicenter of the first "void out" as represented in Bridge's insignia, Hades being filled with multiple eras of US soldiers equipment and weaponry and so forth

Arlington is one of the only places where you have such a large number of dead soldiers and the only place where you have them from every single era of US warfare dating back to the Civil War.
Also I have a big hunch that Cliff actually died and is now lost in Hades. He def developed the Bridge Baby system and in the opening shot he is covered in blood and is saying his last words to BB (the first BB?) tho whom other bridge babies would be cloned from. This also explains his attachments to the dolls which might be tokens he makes. They have only been seen in connection with Cliff.

Oct 25, 2017
We know there's some sort of balance/stumbling/tripping mechanic in the game as the preorder bonus (the legs) allow you to walk better on uneven surfaces. Considering the terrain we've seen is largely uneven I'm wondering how this will play out.

Nice catch! The animations were already a good indication of it, but it could always end up just being a visually nice element, and all the player did was holding forward. Great to have confirmation.

There's still a chance it'll just consist of us holding forward, but at the very least there will be a stat we can upgrade that will influence that.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Also I have a big hunch that Cliff actually died and is now lost in Hades. He def developed the Bridge Baby system and in the opening shot he is covered in blood and is saying his last words to BB (the first BB?) tho whom other bridge babies would be cloned from. This also explains his attachments to the dolls which might be tokens he makes. They have only been seen in connection with Cliff.
the first BB is Sam, I'm calling it now, it would make sense since he is supposed to be quite unique in that timefall doesn't effect him

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. this is what I am
Nope it's the whale we saw fro the Ludens video on the moon and the whale from MGS5.
Actually the creature sam fights is a Dolphin / or Orca. (whales don't have large back fins which this one clearly has)

the first BB is Sam, I'm calling it now, it would make sense since he is supposed to be quite unique in that timefall doesn't effect him
Could be, but timefall does effect him tho, otherwise he would not need a rain suit, nor would his hand be aging when a drop fell on it.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I didn't watch the trailer, but judging by the screen shots the engine got a lighting and shader upgrade!? The skin looks really incredible

Jun 26, 2018

Well, first don't try to connect this to MGS, because that's silly and second what are you trying to disprove? I said that the thing you see after he's been pulled was probably the monster (dolphin or whatever) he end up fighting.

Do you think it's something else that shows up in the American trailer?

Also I doubt the ludens whale has anything to do with this specific monster.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't watch the trailer, but judging by the screen shots the engine got a lighting and shader upgrade!? The skin looks really incredible

Yeah that is deifinitely obvious. Kojima's team brought their own additions to their game, like height fog, SSR, new skin and shader rendering , reactive foliage to movements and new hair tech having hair moving independently.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Well, first don't try to connect this to MGS, because that's silly and second what are you trying to disprove? I said that the thing you see after he's been pulled was probably the monster (dolphin or whatever) he end up fighting.

Do you think it's something else that shows up in the American trailer?

I don't try to connect this to MGS5. I said this is the same whale of those games which has a special meaning to life and death in different cultures incuding Japan that is why kojima is using it in his fake Moby Dick studio, MGS5 and now in Death Stranding. This whale has been shown now for the third time because it has a meaning and many sites, rdedit and explanation videos explained it, if you made some research.

The monster he is fighting may be the mutated whale itself since we already saw how the goo thing can mutate known figures to something abonimable like the cat lion monster Higgs summoned.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
We don't know. But Sony would be kinda stupid to allow it on another system because this could be another cornerstone for PlayStation's exclusive lineup, that will not only work as one of PS4's last big exclusives but also drive PS5 sales with the inevitable Enhanced Version in early PS4's life cycle.

It would be nice to get a PC version though :) for the obvious reasons.

Will play on ps4 if I have to as I'm just ready for the kojima madness.

Jun 26, 2018
Just earlier you quoted a post that demonstrated it wasn't a whale he was fighting, on account that it had a backfin, so what are you on about "mutated whale"?!

And again I ask, why are you trying to tell me any of this? Maybe go back and look at what I originally replied to instead of throwing a fit at me about whales.

I think you need to ease off the Kojima juice a little.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Just earlier you quoted a post that demonstrated it wasn't a whale he was fighting, on account that it had a backfin, so what are you on about "mutated whale"?!

And again I ask, why are you trying to tell me any of this? Maybe go back and look at what I originally replied to instead of throwing a fit at me about whales.

I think you need to ease off the Kojima juice a little.

I forgot the game is full of whales and not just the ludens or the TGA upside down world... Because they have strong symbolism life and death and stranding on the beach.
And you can clearly see this is not the monster he is seen fighting in the JP trailer , it is a dark gooed whale that jumped from the goo and screamed in a whale sound that was muffed because it has mutated.

The monster is a squid like creature that is very long while you can see this is has a small whale shape. So yea it is still a whale.
I do't know if both that and the monster and related though, maybe the squid form is its last shape of mutation or a totally another monster like the squid monster that is swallowing corpses in TGA 2017 trailer.
You don't need to overlook such thing and make fun of this now.

Jun 26, 2018
I forgot the game is full of whales and not just the ludens or the TGA upside down world... Because they have strong symbolism life and death and stranding on the beach.
And you can clearly see this is not the monster he is seen fighting in the JP trailer , it is a dark gooed whale that jumped from the goo and screamed in a whale sound that was muffed because it has mutated.

The monster is a squid like creature that is very long while you can see this is has a small whale shape. So yea it is still a whale.
I do't know if both that and the monster and related though, maybe the squid form is its last shape of mutation or a totally another monster like the squid monster that is swallowing corpses in TGA 2017 trailer.

giphy.gif

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Does anyone think that BT boss fight looks dope though?

like the whole trees and forest sinking, looks pretty tense

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Whilst improbable, it is not impossible. Personally, I think BBs are created in labs (essentially manufactured) and I do wonder if they actually grow up.

Also, Sam is not immune to time fall. That was made evident in the trailer released last year:

sdIZIiV.gif

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

In JP trailer we saw something similar to those masks sprouting form the soil and growing as golden hand shaped plants that maybe the tiemfall is their food. I wonder what those golden plants that cna turned into masks do, we saw that they put them on corpses they carry, Higgs wearing one, the giant nuclear monster wearing one, the summoned lion and now red Amélie. I wonder if those allow the control of both living and dead entities.

Jun 26, 2018

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

That goo monster is a Dolphin or Orca with fingered tentacles, it not a whale lol.. jeeezzz.. There can be more in Death Stranding than just whales.. WHALES EVERYWHERE!.. the Goo cat that higgs summoned is a Whale too?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
That goo monster is a Dolphin or Orca with fingered tentacles, it not a whale lol.. jeeezzz.. There can be more in Death Stranding than just whales.. WHALES EVERYWHERE!.. the Goo cat that higgs summoned is a Whale too?

That cat monster has a significance too as a keeper.
All the stranded big fishes in the games are orcas or dolphins to you? They are all whales in diffrent sizes and even the ones in death world and ludens video. It looked small to you cus it may be far in the screen but a whale is the most important here due to his significance in this game. He is not looking for variety. Same as the stranded crabs with eggs on them which have a meaning. If you followed some of the trailers' explanations.
Geez. I'm done with this.

Jun 26, 2018
That cat monster has a significance too as a keeper.
All the stranded big fishes in the games are orcas or dolphins to you? They are all whales in diffrent sizes and even the ones in death world and ludens video. It looked small to you cus it may be far in the screen but a whale is the most important here due to his significance in this game. He is not looking for variety. Same as the stranded crabs with eggs on them which have a meaning. If you followed some of the trailers' explanations.
Geez. I'm done with this.

JascHi2.jpg

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if that has been discussed here (saw a brief post on reddit about it) but blood has basically been confirmed as an ammo type. In the footage from the Japanese release trailer you can see Sam shooting at the BT using ammo denoted by a heart and also measured in ml. But I was also watching back the VGA 2017 trailer and was reminded that when Sam is dragging himself away as the BT approaches him he leaves a trail of blood from his leg. As the BT touches the blood it burns and you can see scorching.

Could be a reason why combat is to be avoided? Seems like the only effective ammo type against the BT's is your blood but by shooting them with your blood you're going to cause harm to yourself. So it's that strategic element of how much health do I have left that I can expend in combat without killing yourself in the process?

Shooting with blood? That's interesting. Do you still have that reddit post? Cus I msised it.

Edit: you mean this post right?

oldboss

Nov 9, 2017

Well, Troy Baker has too much of a good guy face. Looks too honest.

So yeah, maybe it's too premature given what little we know about the character, but so far, his actions seem to indicate he'll be somewhat of an opposing force. And a face like that hasn't got me convinced for his apparent devious nature, as of now.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, Troy Baker has too much of a good guy face. Looks too honest.

So yeah, maybe it's too premature given what little we know about the character, but so far, his actions seem to indicate he'll be somewhat of an opposing force. And a face like that hasn't got me convinced for his apparent devious nature, as of now.

It's a good thing that Troy Baker won't play himself, and will be acting!

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if that has been discussed here (saw a brief post on reddit about it) but blood has basically been confirmed as an ammo type. In the footage from the Japanese release trailer you can see Sam shooting at the BT using ammo denoted by a heart and also measured in ml. But I was also watching back the VGA 2017 trailer and was reminded that when Sam is dragging himself away as the BT approaches him he leaves a trail of blood from his leg. As the BT touches the blood it burns and you can see scorching.

Could be a reason why combat is to be avoided? Seems like the only effective ammo type against the BT's is your blood but by shooting them with your blood you're going to cause harm to yourself. So it's that strategic element of how much health do I have left that I can expend in combat without killing yourself in the process?
Discouraging combat against BTs/otherworldly enemies at the very least. Having different combat priorities for human vs monsters would be cool.

Humans, you don't want to kill because that seems to result in negative supernatural effects
BTS, you want to avoid fighting if possible because effective combat requires sacrificing health

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Troy Baker has a face that looks like he's going to tell me about that time he went to India and found himself, and he knows the right crystals to heal my stomach ache.

But he's a great performer so I'm happy he's in.

Oct 27, 2017

Someone has probably noticed this before me, but rewatching the 2017 trailer I noticed one of the models trying to pull the guy into the liquid is Kojima lol. The one on the right is definitely wearing his glasses.

EDIT : boosted the levels a bit to make it easier to see.

Last edited:

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Do all people come back when they die? Is that why the two dudes tried to kill themselves in the TGA trailer? Or do they die normally and killing themselves would have prevented a voidout?

oldboss

Nov 9, 2017
It's a good thing that Troy Baker won't play himself, and will be acting!

Yes. Obviously. I was referring to his face not giving off the bad guy vibes his eerie outfit seemed to make him out to be. Had the face behind the mask been Mikkelsen's, it would've had another impact.

Then again, his acting might make me change my mind.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I hope there's a slice of life component to this game, if that makes sense.

As in, you're just a "regular" (I know, I know) worker, so it'd be nice to have this nice ratio of Sam just doing his shit while crazy starts happening and the big moments eventually unfold. Let me have a nice loop of him delivering stuff, risking his life in doing so and then getting to one of those safe houses to clean himself up, eat and whatever; then, start again the next day. A routine, essentially.

The extra pair of boots, Sam drinking water and him pulling his toe nail might imply a certain habit of there being long trips and having to take care of oneself.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Yeah I'm going with Sam is the first ever BB and all other BB's are his clones. Cliff created the Bridge Babies

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
The poll for this thread should have been:

Will Hideo Kojima be featured as a character in this game?

Because I absolutely believe he made himself a character that could probably be important later on in the game.