• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you think?

• I'm excited for this

Votes: 3,859 73.9%
  • Did nothing for me

Votes: 611 11.7%
  • Eh, it's alright

Votes: 750 14.4%

• Total voters

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even though i feel we have our perfect OT already. I'll play.

Death Stranding |OT| Who is your daddy, and what does he do ?

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I think this game and it's focus on non-combat mechanics really drives home how void of creativity mainstream gaming is and how complacent the industry at large has been with only using combat as the primary gameplay loop for seemingly every single major game release for the last 30 years.

Spot on. This game fascinates me because it's an AAA game where combat seemingly plays a smaller role. I have a lot of faith in Kojima because he's shown a wealth of creativity in gameplay systems in the past.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I assumed the gold's significance was its resistance to corrosion. It's probably something that's quite static against 'timefall', in contrast to other natural materials.

I would not be so sure at least pertaining to the use of gold beyond being symbolic. You can see gold and time coming together here:

ClsgKda.gif

As for protection against time fall, I think anything goes as long as you not getting no droplets are coming into contact with the skin.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would not be so sure at least pertaining to the use of gold beyond being symbolic. You can see gold and time coming together here:

ClsgKda.gif

As for protection against time fall, I think anything goes as long as you not getting no droplets are coming into contact with the skin.

Dude those are hands

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

ClsgKda.gif

Gold is a great conduit, and these golden crystals looking like hands, and some pieces floating around it, perhaps its conducting the other side somehow

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Dude those are hands

Bruh... oh shi!

Gold is a great conduit, and these golden crystals looking like hands, and some pieces floating around it, perhaps its conducting the other side somehow

Yea, I have been thinking about this as well. Looks like it is a worse conductor of electricity than Silver and on par with Copper and as previously mentioned by Alienous is a highly corrosion resistant.

While I do not know whether that is blood, conclusively, it is surely be drawn from storage and not directly from Sam.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Found this on reddit

h6jdxrm86m131.jpg

Last pic is actually Gulf War/Iraq circa early 2000's.

But I think my theory about DC being ground zero and Arlington Cemetery being the source of all the dead/processed soldiers in Hades is becoming more and more likely

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Bruh... oh shi!

Yea, I have been thinking about this as well. Looks like it is a worse conductor of electricity than Silver and on par with Copper and as previously mentioned by Alienous is a highly corrosion resistant.

While I do not know whether that is blood, conclusively, it is surely be drawn from storage and not directly from Sam.
I think having to do some kind of blood transfusion machine at Bridges HQ to craft your blood-infused bullets against BTs could be intriguing/eerie. The blood has to come from somewhere

Found this on reddit

h6jdxrm86m131.jpg

Last pic is actually Gulf War/Iraq circa early 2000's.

But I think my theory about DC being ground zero and Arlington Cemetery being the source of all the dead/processed soldiers in Hades is becoming more and more likely
Got a post that goes deeper in that theory?

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I would say that we pretty much know how the actual gameplay is but a clear mission walkthrough would be cool at some point.

Storywise for now, it seems to me that the gold comes into play in combination with the Homo Demons. Cliff doesn't have any golden things but the magnetic field goes nuts as his compass indicates. The same goes for Fragiles ferrofluid jacket when the BTs occurred in Sam's cave.
The actual death stranding is still a very big mystery. It seems to be some kind of portal to the Hades. That black goo could also be the metaphorical lake Styx connecting both worlds.
However, I like the Idea that the stranding could be associated with Aliens and that their life form is based on the opposite chirality causing the allergies.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Got a post that goes deeper in that theory?

This has been my theory since the second trailer was released, but

I'm guessing it was an experiment/test that caused a literal bridge into another dimension/reality that created the initial mass void-out, which I believe took place in DC if the "Bridges" is anything to go by. DC is literally missing, so the initial void out could have been so massive it wiped out the entire city/government

Which is why I also believe Hell is interpreted as war and why we see soldiers of all different eras being presented in the game.

DC houses Arlington National Cemetery, which has the remains of over 400,000 soldiers from the Civil War till now. Hell could be the torture of human souls by forcing them to relive their last waking memories, which in this case for the vast majority of soldiers, is endless combat and death.

It's the logistics of it all. DC being the epicenter of the first "void out" as represented in Bridge's insignia, Hades being filled with multiple eras of US soldiers equipment and weaponry and so forth

Arlington is one of the only places where you have such a large number of dead soldiers and the only place where you have them from every single era of US warfare dating back to the Civil War.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Yeah. I noticed that last night when i was watching the trailer. Tis interesting.
Troy Baker summoned the goo dog in his reveal trailer from a gold mask and in that one trailer where that giant thing shows up the body with the gold pattern on its face ,similar to that dog in fact ,had the gold on its face dissolve into the air if I'm remember correctly

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
but i still believe you can beat even the later MGS without killing enemies (excluding bosses and forced on rails sections)
I have MGS3,MGS4 platinums and you have to beat the game without a single kill,so yes,I bet you will can do the the same in DS.I have MGSV platinum too,but I don't remember,I think you can have kills out of missions,but to have all missions ranked S you have to beat them without a kill,even the boss fights like MGS3/4,so all the last 3 games you can beat without a kill.
Edit:Even the bosses and on rails sections can be made without kills.
Killing /=/ Combat

Sure, you don't have to kill, but you're still performing various forms of CQC, tranqing dudes with sleep darts, and using other forms of violent non-lethal gadgets to subdue enemies.

You're also typically encouraged to kill enemies on your first playthrough. The only game that encourages non-lethal action from the start is Peace Walker.
I don't agree about encouraging kills on the first playthrough,I remember clearly as water in the first minutes of MGS3 Big Boss looking a hive in a tree, encouraging the non-lethal approach,if I am not wrong you always start with a handgun and tranquilizing darts.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Death Stranding |OT| Mass Destruction

As for Baker's character, I thought he was interesting in the EGS trailer but in the new trailer he's pretty underwhelming. I hope we don't see the face beneath the mask that often

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like to read theories, because if one is right I fear can spoiler and frustrate my experience,and if I read crazy cool theories and the final game be less interesting than the theories.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Any speculation on what the black goop is? It looks very much like crude oil.

Technically, crude oil or Petroleum makes perfect sense. It is the product bequeathed by death of all living organisms under immense heat and pressure and time. Even its larger namesake, Fossil Fuel, denotes death.

I think having to do some kind of blood transfusion machine at Bridges HQ to craft your blood-infused bullets against BTs could be intriguing/eerie. The blood has to come from somewhere

I think it is blood bullets, as in that they are manufactured with blood in them. Setting aside physics related issues, within the HUD itself, the volume of the liquid is separately marked from the number of bullets within the magazine versus total capacity of said mag.

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
This has been my theory since the second trailer was released, but

It's the logistics of it all. DC being the epicenter of the first "void out" as represented in Bridge's insignia, Hades being filled with multiple eras of US soldiers equipment and weaponry and so forth

Arlington is one of the only places where you have such a large number of dead soldiers and the only place where you have them from every single era of US warfare dating back to the Civil War.

That's a very good theory. Makes sense.

And if I'm not mistaken someone identified a ruined building as been from Washington on an old trailer.

Oct 26, 2017
Ohhh, they're bandits ?

The voice over in their scene says 'even they know better than to mess with BTs'. Homo Demens are the 'nothings off limits' guys, who have been shown to mess with BTs in 2 other trailers.
Not sure if the yellow guys are bandits or just a different settlement, in this case it looks like Sam is running off with one of their cases on his back, which they're scanning for. (Are we the bandits?)

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't agree about encouraging kills on the first playthrough,I remember clearly as water in the first minutes of MGS3 Big Boss looking a hive in a tree, encouraging the non-lethal approach,if I am not wrong you always start with a handgun and tranquilizing darts.
That's not really encouraging a non-lethal approach and instead giving the player insight into alternative ways to approach an encounter. The game isn't trying to beat you on the head about not killing people. That didn't start happening until Peace Walker and MGSV.

For example, You're not going to be using your Tranq pistol during the final bike chase on a first playthrough. The game gives you max ammo for all of your weapons and overwhelms you with a huge number of enemies. The game nudges you to use stuff like the RPG and LMG.

Kojima has always used real time cutscenes in his games. I never expected him to stop now.

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Would you guys classify this game as "post-apocalyptic" in the same vein as say the Last of Us. I'm debating this in my head, there still seems to be a functioning organization/government with Bridges UCA but I don't know if that matters to the criteria

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would you guys classify this game as "post-apocalyptic" in the same vein as say the Last of Us. I'm debating this in my head, there still seems to be a functioning organization/government with Bridges UCA but I don't know if that matters to the criteria
I would. As Bridges is a post-fall org.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Definitely fits the definition, at the least insofar as US of A is concerned. However, it is a broad genre and is enmeshed with science fiction here. In a way it is in the same vein as Horizon Zero Dawn. The differences come in the form of player character being empowered (Aloy) compared to survivalist (Sam).