• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you think?

• I'm excited for this

Votes: 3,859 73.9%
  • Did nothing for me

Votes: 611 11.7%
  • Eh, it's alright

Votes: 750 14.4%

• Total voters

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
Looks like Kojima had the idea in his head for a very long time...

uv7edg6mak131.jpg
Like I said before, his vision needs be to spent on new IPs and not on sequels

Deleted member 56449

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
No.
I'm not doubting the quality. It's not knowing what the gameplay IS

I don't enjoy survival games at all. If DS is a survival game I won't like it no matter how, we'll is done

You get me?
Its clear what the gameplay is. Im actually surprised when someone asks "whats going on?" after all the trailers

The game isn't a stealth game and it is an action game but more of a survival game so most probably this isn't for you

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
beached as in washed up on a beach. There's a shit ton of water and ocean imagery in the creatures and game in general. The Japanese trailer that shows the boss or whatever it is , the creature is like a shark made of that black goo

Oh, could have sworn I heard "breached" instead of "beach".

Fits with the theme and imagery

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Please describe the gameplay to me as I can't get it

Open world(s) traversal/survival game where traveling is the core gameplay loop. Depending on the gear/amount of cargo you bring it will alter how you can travel, where you can travel and how difficult your trip will be.

They've shown actual gameplay in multiple trailers. Just because there isn't shooting and combat at every moment doesn't mean they aren't showing off the mechanics and gameplay loops.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Open world(s) traversal/survival game where traveling is the core gameplay loop. Depending on the gear/amount of cargo you bring it will alter how you can travel, where you can travel and how difficult your trip will be.

They've shown actual gameplay in multiple trailers. Just because there isn't shooting and combat at every moment doesn't mean they aren't showing off the mechanics and gameplay loops.

I don't need shooting in a game. I mean that could be interesting but who knows.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I never said you did, my point is they've shown a lot of gameplay if you don't think of gameplay as just the combat mechanics, because it very much looks like the core gameplay loop of this game will take place outside of combat

Yes. I suppose the problem is as its not a well known gameplay loop and what we have been shown means it's hard to tell if it's fun for an hour or 100

I hope it's good. We'll see when it launches I guess

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.webp

We're still playing the "I don't even know what it is" angle?
Come on people, we have some info on how this plays at least. The only thing we don't really know for sure is what is going on in the narrative.

Deleted member 56449

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
giphy.webp

We're still playing the "I don't even know what it is" angle?
Come on people, we have some info on how this plays at least. The only thing we don't really know for sure is what is going on in the narrative.
Well, I won't watch anything or read about the game and then come here and claim nothing is understandable and everything is confusing

tumblr_ps9yi2G6Hy1r0g0c4o2_500.gif

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think this game and it's focus on non-combat mechanics really drives home how void of creativity mainstream gaming is and how complacent the industry at large has been with only using combat as the primary gameplay loop for seemingly every single major game release for the last 30 years.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I think this game and it's focus on non-combat mechanics really drives home how void of creativity mainstream gaming is and how complacent the industry at large has been with only using combat as the primary gameplay loop for seemingly every single major game release for the last 30 years.
there seems to be 3 "factions" in this game you fight

1. the BT's (The Death Stranding) which you can't harm

2. Homo Demons

3. Cliff's otherwordly soldiers

Dreezy

Oct 27, 2017
It's not that entirely different from MGS, which rewarded traversing around enemies with no kills; here the moving-around-environment part plays the central role. Perhaps a smarter way to utilize an open world map, maybe a gameplay aspect Kojima wanted to tackle after MGSV.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So nobody was interested in the post i made this morning about the game's setting, and something i noticed about the Homo Demens ? 😭

I must be on a lot of people's ignore list. 😞

Wasn't this scoffed at in places or on here?
Baker knew all along.

There was also an interview with Reedus about it coming soon or something I wish I could find it. Would love to read the replies on that one in hindsight.

Not by me. I've always been 2019.
Higgs seems a lot more powerful than Cliff

why do I get the feeling that Cliff is higher ranked than him though
Of course he is. He's the Mads. 😜
The 3 mans are all members of Bridges right?
Correct.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
what I don't understand about people worried about lack of combat is that Kojima's games have never really been combat heavy

hell Metal Gear Solid, you can beat the game without killing an enemy (only bosses) and its still critically acclaimed

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Higgs seems a lot more powerful than Cliff

why do I get the feeling that Cliff is higher ranked than him though
Have you seen cliff outside Hades - ignoring the intro and outro since those I believe happen before the events of death stranding. Higgs is a real threath in the real world, cliff in hades and I believe is trapped down there.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Has there been any speculations pertaining why there Au (Gold) is so prominently featured in the game?

It even shows up as Higg's eye brow tattoo (although it is shaped to look more like the symbol for Micro).

9aj9mk1.jpg

Looks like Kojima had the idea in his head for a very long time...

uv7edg6mak131.jpg

Look all them hands over America's ass.

Btw, this is a great find.

Oct 26, 2017
hell Metal Gear Solid, you can beat the game without killing an enemy (only bosses) and its still critically acclaimed
Original MGS1 has a bunch of scenes where you have to kill guards, like when you get in the Jeep, but yeah.
Edit: actually maybe you can KO the ones when you get the jeep, but you have to kill some down the tunnel. Been a long time since I did a Big Boss rank run.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Has there been any speculations pertaining why there Au (Gold) is so prominently featured in the game?

It even shows up as Higg's eye brow tattoo (although it is shaped to look more like the symbol for Micro).

9aj9mk1.jpg

it looks like on his eyebrow it says "OvAu"

also, it looks like Higgs has white hair

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
what I don't understand about people worried about lack of combat is that Kojima's games have never really been combat heavy

Not really true.

I can maybe see an argument for MGS 1 and 2, but with 3 and beyond the series was designed with heavy combat sequences in mind.

Oct 26, 2017
but i still believe you can beat even the later MGS without killing enemies (excluding bosses and forced on rails sections)
MGS2 - V yeah you can knock the enemies out as far as I remember, although most bosses end up dead either way.
The games can be quite forgiving as what counts as a kill, though; explode a barrel and anyone killed by it was just their bad luck.

Last edited:

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
but i still believe you can beat even the later MGS without killing enemies (excluding bosses and forced on rails sections)

Killing /=/ Combat

Sure, you don't have to kill, but you're still performing various forms of CQC, tranqing dudes with sleep darts, and using other forms of violent non-lethal gadgets to subdue enemies.

You're also typically encouraged to kill enemies on your first playthrough. The only game that encourages non-lethal action from the start is Peace Walker.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

9aj9mk1.jpg

Egyptian mythology. Higgs character very much has many ties and references to the Egyptian God of Death, Anubis.

adult-anubis-mask.jpg

The gold and black hood being the most obvious one.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
You know we been talking about who the main antagonist will be between Higgs and Cliff

does anyone think Die-Hardman will betray Sam...I feel like its a possibility but its really cliche it be repeating the whole "Big Boss betraying Foxhound" thing, hope it doesn't happen

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Egyptian mythology. Higgs character very much has many ties and references to the Egyptian God of Death, Anubis.

adult-anubis-mask.jpg

The gold and black hood being the most obvious one.

Ah... of course, I completely forgot about that series of speculation pertaining his character (his attire colour scheme etc) which led to that conclusion. So it does make much more sense now.

However, in the JP trailer there is a segment where the small foliage is being transformed in solid gold structures. I wonder if is tied to Higgs or Hades.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to repost this. *shrug*
----------------------------
Has this been discussed before ? If so, than i apologise.

did you beautiful people noticed the Bridges logo is on the floor of the oval office, and not the presidential seal.
image_death_stranding-40356-3637_0009.jpg

*Screenshot courtesy of Gamersyde.

This is what i think the backstory setting is. (and i know it's blindingly obvious. So again, i apologise for wasting everyone's time)

After the country fell apart, the people who were left, created Bridges. In the vacuum of there no longer being a cohesive government.

Bridges purpose is to re-open lines of communication across the country (metaphorical bridges) between (now) sovereign city states. (their motto is United Cities of America, after all) Similar to the film. The Postman.
3034444_0.jpg

however, this time it failed.

And now everyone has since abandoned the org. Except for a few true believers that stayed. Including our boy Reedus the Fetus (but at this point, he's lost hope for the future. And is now just trying to get through the day) to carry on their mission.

I think the main motherbase is going to be massive, but pretty much empty.

But now. POTUS Amelie, wants to try again.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except game of Thrones is free a game is 60 and unreturnable
HBO is hardly free.

$60 also isn't that much money at the end of the day. I spend more than that on a night out at a bar.

Like for a lot of games I agree with you, might as well wait and see. But this one is so weird/interesting that I want to experience it first hand, even if it's bad.

Oct 26, 2017
Is that oval office just going to be an underground room in a bunker with a fake background projection? Seems out of place otherwise.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

9aj9mk1.jpg

I assumed the gold's significance was its resistance to corrosion. It's probably something that's quite static against 'timefall', in contrast to other natural materials.

Oct 26, 2017
Are the yellow dudes another faction?

I think so, it looks like they live in that base you see at the end of the chase scene, which could be the same base that Sam is aiming a gun at in the previous trailer. I don't think they will be connected to the terrorist group, they wouldn't be scared of the rain if they were.

Last edited: