• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you think?

• I'm excited for this

Votes: 3,859 73.9%
  • Did nothing for me

Votes: 611 11.7%
  • Eh, it's alright

Votes: 750 14.4%

• Total voters

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
MGSV's story is shit, but the gameplay is top of the line. Some of the most fun I had in an open world all generation.
Easily has the best TPS mechanics this generation so far. The only other TPS mechanics I've enjoyed this generation is Uncharted 4 but it doesn't really have the same kind of versatility or response as it's designed in a different way.

I kind it amusing that Kojima has continuously bet expectations in that he barely had a studio at the start of 2016 and is going to release a game by the end of this year. I mean, some of the responses in the death stranding delayed thread only three months ago are hilarious hindsight knowing the game is releasing 8 months from that point in time.

That said, Trailer was great. I really wish the music used in the trailer is in the game because that perfectly fits what the game is about. Really cool.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
It's not surprising to you at all? A month or two ago, I'm pretty sure I saw people thinking this game had been moved to PS5. Yet it's coming out THIS YEAR. Just 3 years after announcing it. That's damn impressive after Kojima left Konami to form his own studio.

To clarify, I am surprised that they are managing to pump it out this quickly--assuming no delay, but a delay is certainly possible--but I'm not surprised that, with a 2019 release date, they would feel confident about releasing it November, when most people are just trying to stay out of CoD's way. There's an audience on Sony consoles that will eat this up, even with CoD releasing in that same month. I think they're making a safe bet that a Kojima game wouldn't get lost in the CoD flood.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Easily has the best TPS mechanics this generation so far. The only other TPS mechanics I've enjoyed this generation is Uncharted 4 but it doesn't really have the same kind of versatility or response as it's designed in a different way.

I kind it amusing that Kojima has continuously bet expectations in that he barely had a studio at the start of 2016 and is going to release a game by the end of this year. I mean, some of the responses in the death stranding delayed thread only three months ago are hilarious hindsight knowing the game is releasing 8 months from that point in time.

That said, Trailer was great. I really wish the music used in the trailer is in the game because that perfectly fits what the game is about. Really cool.

I'm honestly kinda worried about how long the game is going to be. Three years just feels like such a tiny amount of time to develop an open world game. I really want them to pull it off, but I can't help but feel like this game could wind up being surprisingly short.

But I'm also one of the people who spent like 70 hours playing MGSV, so...

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
"Arm yourself and take aim at a variety of objectives in your mission to reunite a broken nation, while balancing under the weight of your cargo as you travel. Protect your supplies from wild bandits, and stay safe from the terrifying Beached Things… or face failing those who depend on you."

If the gameplay loop involves literally trying to keep steady/not falling over as you carry increasingly heavy payloads, that could immediately bump what would otherwise be potentially dry exploration into something really compelling. If it's what I'd imagine, you could carry more and attempt more difficult traversal, but you'd have to be more skillful in this mechanic to pull those kinds of feats off?

Having to problem solve over how to traverse a river/canyon without spilling the beans, or trying to outrun those enemies while trying to remain upright could be really cool and would add a strong layer of tension to literally everything you do.
Said in the other thread, but a lot of modem horror games have you running away from enemies/monsters. It's a very binary action, even in something like Evil Within: stay and die, or flee then hide. Death Stranding's open world survival-horror-action approach, combined with the systems-driven traversal, seems like it could make running away as mechanically-complex and involved as combat, maybe more so.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
If you look at it close, it looks like one of those transparent Blu-ray cases housed in a cardboard sleeve/slip-case.

Frame 1: You see the back hard cover and bundled pages at an oblique angle
7EF1Dw0.png

Frame 2: You see it even more clearly now, the pages and the hardcover
ELY4uu8.png

'tis a book.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly kinda worried about how long the game is going to be. Three years just feels like such a tiny amount of time to develop an open world game. I really want them to pull it off, but I can't help but feel like this game could wind up being surprisingly short.

Well KP most likely got lots and lots of help from Guerilla. Decima is also an engine made for open worlds so with those two factors in mind it helps paint the picture of how this game got made in such a relatively short time. Also, and this is just speculation on my part, but I'm willing to bet Kojima had this concept swirling around in his head for a while now, so pre-pro/conceptualization probably wasn't too long either.
I mean it's still a heckin achievement the team was able to do it so quickly.

Oct 25, 2017
"Arm yourself and take aim at a variety of objectives in your mission to reunite a broken nation, while balancing under the weight of your cargo as you travel. Protect your supplies from wild bandits, and stay safe from the terrifying Beached Things… or face failing those who depend on you."

If the gameplay loop involves literally trying to keep steady/not falling over as you carry increasingly heavy payloads, that could immediately bump what would otherwise be potentially dry exploration into something really compelling. If it's what I'd imagine, you could carry more and attempt more difficult traversal, but you'd have to be more skillful in this mechanic to pull those kinds of feats off?

Having to problem solve over how to traverse a river/canyon without spilling the beans, or trying to outrun those enemies while trying to remain upright could be really cool and would add a strong layer of tension to literally everything you do.
Yeah, you probably can't use those melee combos shown in this trailer while carrying this much:

2BZkEn1.gif

So you could choose to take as much as possible with you to save on trips, but you better hope you can avoid all combat and make a safe trip.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I wouldn't mind a brisk but tight 15-20 hour experience that features a barren SotC-esque open-world, if anything I;m craving games that I will actually beat in a timely manner these days.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

'tis survival horror sprinkled with a pinch of item burden and a dash of encumbrance management.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well KP most likely got lots and lots of help from Guerilla. Decima is also an engine made for open worlds so with those two factors in mind it helps paint the picture of how this game got made in such a relatively short time. Also, and this is just speculation on my part, but I'm willing to bet Kojima had this concept swirling around in his head for a while now, so pre-pro/conceptualization probably wasn't too long either.
I mean it's still a heckin achievement the team was able to do it so quickly.

Yeah. It's damn near a miracle, and it also kind of feels hilarious that Kojima did this after his Konami games always seemed to drag and drag and drag, dev time-wise.

I wouldn't mind a brisk but tight 15-20 hour experience that features a barren SotC-esque open-world, if anything I;m craving games that I will actually beat in a timely manner these days.

I want a world that's fun to do stuff in, personally. I was able to forgive MGSV for its terrible story because its world was just fun to play around with. A short game with a barren world that's just about going from story point to story point to story point would feel pretty disappointing to me.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, the gameplay looked bad before the magic ladder. It also sounds like I dodged a bullet by not playing MSGV.

What looks bad about it? Combined with what we saw in the 'Silent Poets' trailer I think it shows tons of promise.

MGSV is a stealth-action masterpiece, but DS is slower, exploration/traversal based, atmospheric. On top of the world being this puzzle you're always trying to solve (how to best utilize various tools & gadgets to navigate tricky terrain and hazards, while collecting and transporting as much equipment as you can) there seems to be a layer of randomness to the goons in yellow scanning areas and the BTs (and who knows what else) lurking, which should add a fair amount of tension to excursions.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ah!

You can see how I thought in the first picture where the yellow meets the clear/blue part that it could be a Blu-ray case inside of a slipcover - one of those ones that you pull out from the left side.

Regardless, I wonder what the title of the book is?

Pretty sure it says "The Moon and the Earth". Hard to make out, but that's what it looks like to me.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you probably can't use those melee combos shown in this trailer while carrying this much:

2BZkEn1.gif

So you could choose to take as much as possible with you to save on trips, but you better hope you can avoid all combat and make a safe trip.
Also there are the automated cargo bots, but those seem to move really slow and likely force you to stick to flat level terrain instead of being able to climb or cross water. But you'd have the benefit of carrying more than possible on your person as well as being armed and I imagine being able to carry more weapons

Meliodas

Apr 7, 2019
No, you didn't.

But a lot of people are assuming is coming just because and they forget who owns the game. One thing many of you are forgetting is if DS is a 10M ip is not gonna come to PC as that title will move a lot of PS5, the same way Bloodborne is not coming to PC.
By that logic you might as well start hoping for Spider-Man and Bloodborne and Ratchet & Clank to come to PC. Not only is Sony publishing the game, but they also own the IP and the engine, and they've poured considerable resources into it. You think they funded a massive AAA production for years and allowed the use of their proprietary tech for just a few months of exclusivity?

Sony isn't exactly rushing to port their stuff to PC, we've had a few (very rare!) exceptions and that's all. Just some indie games and the QD stuff. If you want to get your hopes up for Sony bringing their big new tent-pole AAA IP to PC; I'm not gonna stop you, but it seems kind of delusional to me.
Actually, those are some good points. I didn't think about it from that perspective.

It's just that we didn't see "Only On PS4" type of thing with this game anywhere and specially with the box art reveal today missing that statement, so that's why I thought about it coming to PC.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I hope each mission is like a puzzle in how to get what you are carrying to the next level. But it better not be randomized, if this game is just randomly generated crap it's going to get boring as hell. But if every mission is tailored with specific moments in mind it can be better than MGSV if it has loads of variety, good bosses and an actual ending.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
That looked pretty good, some of the animations though seem a bit off. I still don't know what the game is about and what genre it really fits in, but it does look intriguing and interesting/different...which for me is very welcomed. Will have to see some more gameplay to get a better idea of the gameplay loop.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Ah!

You can see how I thought in the first picture where the yellow meets the clear/blue part that it could be a Blu-ray case inside of a slipcover - one of those ones that you pull out from the left side.

Honestly, I am unfamiliar with the case you are acquainted with (unless you are talking of the hardcovers of yesteryear with black spine and black bottom with transparent plastic cover.

As for the title, given the dialogue the most logical possibility would be an Atlas. I was trying to google Atlases with that header colour and that distinct yellow block for corner but came up short. Pretty sure some detective here or on Reddit will figure it out sooner or later.

I was kind of hoping to get that with the utterly crazy opening of MGS5, so if Death Stranding gives it to me, then that wil be Mission Accomplished.

One can hope and I have yet to play MGSV

Oct 25, 2017
Also there are the automated cargo bots, but those seem to move really slow and likely force you to stick to flat level terrain instead of being able to climb or cross water. But you'd have the benefit of carrying more than possible on your person as well as being armed and I imagine being able to carry more weapons
That sounds great. I hope the theory about killing enemies adding more enemies to Hades is true. It's both a cool punishment for killing, but also in a way a reward for your desired playstyle, right? If you're killing a lot of people, you probably enjoy the combat more than you enjoy the traversal mechanics, so what better reward than even more challenging combat scenarios to deal with?

All I need now is confirmation that you don't need PS Plus for the light multiplayer aspects, but I'm not too hopeful, as you need Plus to even see messages in Bloodborne.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just keeping it real in terms of my personal opinion:
- I don't think anything about this game has looked appealing, and this new trailer was no different.
- It looks incredibly weird and not in an interesting way.
- The actual gameplay parts looked pretty weak.

I don't think this will review nearly as well as people think.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
It's just that we didn't see "Only On PS4" type of thing with this game anywhere and specially with the box art reveal today missing that statement, so that's why I thought about it coming to PC.

I thought maybe that didn't happen because they wanted to hedge their bets for the inevitable, "And it's getting a PS5 version with even more bells and whistles." announcement.

Deleted member 1722

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more excited about this than I've been about a game in a while. I think most of it is due to having read about Kojima moving on from Metal Gear since 2001 when MGS2 was supposed to be his last Metal Gear game. (According to gamepro!) And here we finally are!

I'm also excited just because the world and story look fantastic. I'm intrigued by the horror themed gameplay, the trailer did feature Sam shooting an automatic rifle.. but I'd expect it's got some quite scary sequences where you can't react with force.

I like the themes of reconnection and infrastructure as the scaffolding of life support. Lot of on the nose parallels there.

It looks legitimately great!

I do worry about the nature of the cutscenes and storytelling with all the A list talent. This looks like the game that I would want to have countless hours of non interactive cutscenes.. but with the actors involved and stuff I wonder if it will more limited. It's hard to imagine Madds doing 15 hours of codec dialogue like we had in the old days.

Just soo, soooo optimistic for this. The fashion design and angst are so appealing. And the themes of rebuilding the ropes and cables to connect a society could be very potent!

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
This guy is a pretty interesting take on all the Death Stranding goings-on and his hypothesis regarding the function of the Bridges Baby is very intriguing:

Another thing I noticed is that not only does it show WWI, but it shows what looks like modern combat gear - at the very least Desert Storm-era combat gear and fatigues.

I wonder if we'll play through WWII segments as well?

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Ah!

impossible to figure out from that image, since the cover is on the back and the yellow bar with the text on black looks to be a chapter title, or some index on the top of the page. so its most likely not the title of the book

This guy is a pretty interesting take on all the Death Stranding goings-on and his hypothesis regarding the function of the Bridges Baby is very intriguing:

Another thing I noticed is that not only does it show WWI, but it shows what looks like modern combat gear - at the very least Desert Storm-era combat gear and fatigues.

I wonder if we'll play through WWII segments as well?

And Vietnam, there mads rises from the water is a reference to Apocalypse Now

Zac Dynamite

Oct 27, 2017
No it didn't. MGS V had one of the best combat ever made. Man, what are you talking about? Just hating for the sake of hating?
The person I responded to about MSG said Snake was using wormholes. If true, that sounds dumb. It not, then I am happy to believe you that it's great. That said, I stand by my comments that the actual game play in that trailer for DS looked weak and even a bit uninspired. Who knows, maybe they just really short shifted that element of the game in the trailer.