• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you think?

• I'm excited for this

Votes: 3,859 73.9%
  • Did nothing for me

Votes: 611 11.7%
  • Eh, it's alright

Votes: 750 14.4%

• Total voters

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They made a deal with Sony on day 1 (12/15/2015), and the Q&A was posted afterwards.

I agree that it's very likely that the PC version got canned after Kojima decided to go with a Sony-owned engine, but I would like someone to definitively confirm that.
The interview happened before the Youtube video with House and Kojima went up. We saw the interview shorty after, it got removed and then updated accordingly.
I don't think they will comment on that. They never do on "port" rumors. So if it happens, then it's like with Helldivers, Journey etc. Sony decided they want it on something else. Right now it is what it is. A Sony 1st party game exclusively for PS4.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
ssAVo6H.gif
Oh this is the upside down. Guessing these areas are reminiscent of where humans died the most, which strengthens whatever the creatures are that feed off this...energy/misery?

Deleted member 56449

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
I.. I don't get the hype, I really don't.
The first trailers made it seem like a really good horror game but as time went on, I lost interest. Thought this would bring me back in but.. Meh ?
I don't see anything groundbreaking, it really looks like a pretentious walking simulator.
Plus, the way the actors were selling this game like it's some kind of transcending story and message, for it to be a simple "Kojima-sama said we should be nicer to each other".
Weird.
Really weird game all around.
If it wasn't made by Kojima, I don't think we would be seeing this kind of reactions.
Yeah because nobody else will make it look like this...

CDV13

Jan 30, 2018
For the amount of spoiler tagging that is required to not get destroyed on the internet these days, I figured the vagueness of this game would be welcome by most people. Why do we need more than a overarching idea of what seems to be "reconnecting the broken world" and learn more while we play?

Very excited.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
Wasn't bothered about this but that trailer was dope and now I'm annoyed that I will have to play it on my PS4 because it's loud and at my parents house. Most memorable part of the trailer for me was crafting a ladder and having it fall into place. Yeah I don't know why either.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The trailer did nothing to alleviate my fears that this game is going to have major amounts of tedium. All that slooowwwlyyyyyy walking around these gigantic open repetitive procedurally-generated-looking environments looks like it's going to become boring very quickly, for the very same reason that Red Dead 2 was completely unappealing to me. The action sequences looked neat, and so does the originality and strangeness of it all, but man am I going to wait for reviews before plunging.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
The first trailers made it seem like a really good horror game but as time went on, I lost interest. Thought this would bring me back in but.. Meh ?
I don't see anything groundbreaking, it really looks like a pretentious walking simulator.
Plus, the way the actors were selling this game like it's some kind of transcending story and message, for it to be a simple "Kojima-sama said we should be nicer to each other".
Weird.
If it wasn't made by Kojima, I don't think we would be seeing this kind of reactions.

It's a AAA game that doesn't have an emphasis on combat. It's obviously there, but the description even notes that killing is almost never the solution and that each death carries consequences. So while it might not carry as much hype as it has now, it certainly would still have a lot of hype just because of how unusual of a game it is in this space.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
*someone tries to do anything creative*

jeez, pretentious much?

Thank you! I was reading many comments with that term and felt like I was taking crazy pills. Feel like pretentious is the new generic. If someone actually explain why they believe this looked pretentious that would be great. The overall theme seems to be pretty straight forward as well.

OT: AMAZING trailer. One of the best I have seen this gen. That was some kickass editing by Kojima. Gameplay and story looks super interesting. Depending on my schedule around that time, this might end up being a day 1. Let's see

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
They made a deal with Sony on day 1 (12/15/2015), and the Q&A was posted afterwards.

I agree that it's very likely that the PC version got canned after Kojima decided to go with a Sony-owned engine, but I would like someone to definitively confirm that.

The term 'likely' here is only being implied by fans and has been done since the game's announcement. Sony's official wording and their boxart has no mention of it. The only related official wording we got sony was during its first announcement on its investor site and it was announced as a 'PS4 Console exclusive'

And before anyone compares this to GoD and Uncharted.. please don't. This is a new IP that isn't developed by a Sony first party studio and not a world renouned IP thats being made by 1st party studios since more than a decade. It all depends on the deal Sony and Kojima made initially.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
We dont deserve Kojima and Yoji Shinkawa.

Guess the goty of 2019 is already decided :P

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The trailer did nothing to alleviate my fears that this game is going to have major amounts of tedium. All that slooowwwlyyyyyy walking around these gigantic open repetitive procedurally-generated-looking environments looks like it's going to become boring very quickly, for the very same reason that Red Dead 2 was completely unappealing to me. The action sequences looked neat, and so does the originality and strangeness of it all, but man am I going to wait for reviews before plunging.

Did.... did you not see the extremely-fast-looking motorbike

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
It's a AAA game that doesn't have an emphasis on combat. It's obviously there, but the description even notes that killing is almost never the solution and that each death carries consequences. So while it might not carry as much hype as it has now, it certainly would still have a lot of hype just because of how unusual of a game it is in this space.

I've seen the "each thing carries consequences" said countless time before a game was released, and it actually didn't matter in the end.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how does kojima do it that all the characters in his games look interesting and unique while so many other developers struggle with that? it just makes me want to play the fuck out of his games
kojima's games are heavily stylized. characters are unique because they are larger than life in every aspect.

that said, he treats side characters with the same level of care as his main characters which is something very few writers do in both hollywood and video games. one of the main reasons GoT became so popular was because there were so many different characters to root for. everyone in kojima's games gets time to shine. the villains, the side characters all get hours of screen time. something not possible in movies and most video games limited by cutscene budgets.

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I did play it yes, cleared a few bases and then i got bored.

Destiny has the best control of all games. The freedom and responsiveness. I know it's a fps but they need to get the third person feel right and MGS is not it. It's just to stiff and feels weird for me to play after you get used to the controls in Destiny.

I do however like the exploration potential in death stranding. Looks like he went crazy with that

Bro, what. MGSV has THE best TPS controls. Full stop.

It's not even close.

How on Earth are you comparing Destiny to to MGSV? That's quite a leap for several reasons.

EDIT: Wait. You weren't playing MGSV with Mouse and Keyboard, were you?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The trailer did nothing to alleviate my fears that this game is going to have major amounts of tedium. All that slooowwwlyyyyyy walking around these gigantic open repetitive procedurally-generated-looking environments looks like it's going to become boring very quickly, for the very same reason that Red Dead 2 was completely unappealing to me.
This reminds me of a really good video.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Weird.

Give examples of other trailers/games with this kind of mood and atmosphere, and the high production values and overall artistic reach that this video showed, that weren't followed by the reactions you feel they deserved.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Like... I'm not frothing at the mouth in anticipation, but I'll definitely buy and play this. I'm here more for Kojima's approach to game design than his stories, so I don't really care how many celebrity friends he's managed to pack in.

Don't really get the "but what is it?!" complaints either. Finding out is part of the fun, dude.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
how does kojima do it that all the characters in his games look interesting and unique while so many other developers struggle with that? it just makes me want to play the fuck out of his games
He has another very big talent to help him in that aspect.
From this trailer:
"Character and mechanical design - Yoji Shinkawa"

They worked together on the entire Metal Gear Solid series.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Trailer looks really intriguing, I hope they've gone completely bonkers and the game is different from stuff we've seen before.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Weird.
I dont think the concepts that this game is being built around show very well in trailers. At least not in a trailer like this one. Im sure we will get more in depth footage as the game gets closer that makes it more clear what its all about. This trailer was just a taste of the gameplay and characters, with a little bit of story thrown in.

I mean I was sold from the moment the game was announced, but im a huge Kojima fan. There is still so much about the game that I have questions about, so I understand why people arent sold yet. I highly doubt this is just a walking simulator though lol. I get where that sentiment is coming from, but I also feel like they are trying to show as little as possible.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
This looks like a cinematic Yoshi's Island, not sure how that sounds to me lol.

But this is not for me, I just don't see anything good outside of the huge world and that vehicle. Exploration seems unnecessarily slow with all the UI and stuff the character pulls out. Everything just doesn't do anything for me, I don't care about the cinematic stuff, I don't care about actors and the baby freaks me out lol.

Though I'll be keeping an eye out on this, since it's coming from the man who made the MGS series.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, extremely satisfying trailer, and I'm very happy that gun combat doesn't seem to be the main focus of the gameplay, even if it's a part of it. The stealth looks cool as hell, and I hope we get some cool locations.

It's a great surprise that it comes out this year, too! Love the look of the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone try and preorder the collector's edition from Best Buy? Another member just messaged me, and both he and I have gotten cancellation notices from Best Buy when we both tried to preorder this. I'm thinking this just isn't ready yet to be preordered, hence the cancellation notice.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone try and preorder the collector's edition from Best Buy? Another member just messaged me, and both he and I have gotten cancellation notices from Best Buy when we both tried to preorder this. I'm thinking this just isn't ready yet to be preorder, hence the cancellation notice.

I preordered mine shortly after it became available and it hasn't been cancelled. They may have sold too many.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Give examples of other trailers/games with this kind of mood and atmosphere, and the high production values and overall artistic reach that this video showed, that weren't followed by the reactions you feel they deserved.

Well, MGS5. We all know how that turned out.
I mean, it certainly does look unique and I understand that it can be appealing for a lot of people. But I'm still kind of let-down by this trailer, it truly feels to me like it's trying to look bigger then it actually is.
Kind of like MGS5.
I'm probably just scarred for life by what happened MGS5, I think lol.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks very odd even after a 8 minute trailer. It's nice to see something different. I was completely wrong thinking there was no way they would release a new ip in November but I guess Kojima has enough prestige to sell well.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
The game looks great and the story seems super interesting but I'm still not sure about the gameplay.

That trailer was amazing.