• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 10, 2019
All these DS threads sound like people just trying to justify their purchase. Just enjoy the game there's no need to make a topic about every aspect of the game, people who are interested are gonna buy it regardless of other peoples opinions.
That's not it, DS is a masterpiece of game design. We're all just discovering it for the first time and are so excited to talk about it.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
its weird seeing all the people here say they "watched the gameplay on youtube" and call it boring from that.

the experience of traversing the world by yourself feels so different than watching it on youtube, on youtube without noticing i fast forward parts of sam walking, in game i am so into it, you dont realize how worlds apart the experience is with this game.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
its weird seeing all the people here say they "watched the gameplay on youtube" and call it boring from that.

the experience of traversing the world by yourself feels so different than watching it on youtube, on youtube without noticing i fast forward parts of sam walking, in game i am so into it, you dont realize how worlds apart the experience is with this game.
Yup, you gotta play it to understrand. There's simply no other way.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Every single safe zone I've seen in every bit of gameplay footage I've seen has looked identical internally, as well. A tiny little bunker area with a convenient holo-projector so you never get to actually go inside and see or interact with anyone for real.
Kinda weird, for a game that beats you over the head about human connection.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this leads into a more interesting argument that is: Can a narrative be used to excuse any sort of world design/design decision in general?

i don't know if i'd call that a more interesting discussion, or even an interesting discussion period, because i feel like it's been beaten to death when discussing video games for decades now and it basically just goes around in a circle. person A says "this sequence/aspect of a game/game/whatever is bad" then person B says "no you see it's supposed to be bad on purpose for thematic/narrative reasons" and then person A says "yes, i understand that, i understand the intention of the sequence/aspect of the game/game/whatever, i just don't think it's fun or entertaining" and then person C says the same thing person B does, and person D says the same thing person A says, and so forth and so on until the topic has become so tediously repetitive that it becomes unbearable (much like Death Stranding itself)

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I guess if you make a massive open world and strip all the interesting elements out of it and instead just leave points A, B and C to visit, then it looks super well designed. It would be like having Skyrim but stripping out all the random bandit camps, vampire caves, weird shrines etc and just having the small zones that only move the story forward, that would make it seem far more efficient in terms world design.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
i don't know if i'd call that a more interesting discussion, or even an interesting discussion period, because i feel like it's been beaten to death when discussing video games for decades now and it basically just goes around in a circle. person A says "this sequence/aspect of a game/game/whatever is bad" then person B says "no you see it's supposed to be bad on purpose for thematic/narrative reasons" and then person A says "yes, i understand that, i understand the intention of the sequence/aspect of the game/game/whatever, i just don't think it's fun or entertaining" and then person C says the same thing person B does, and person D says the same thing person A says, and so forth and so on until the topic has become so tediously repetitive that it becomes unbearable (much like Death Stranding itself)
You know, fair. You're not wrong at all lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I think there are a lot of fun open world games and not rare at all. What you find enjoyable may vary, as you can see from this thread it is your damn opinion and not indisputable fact that one open world is fun and another reasonable person can find it shit.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Different people want different things from their open worlds.
I want atmosphere. I want shit to discover and things to do. I want wildlife that interacts with not only the player, but other wildlife.

I haven't followed Death Stranding so I can't comment, but what makes a great open world is subjective.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of my email spam folder tbh
tenorcopy5e4j39.gif

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon's open world is a series of kill boxes intersected. It looks visually breathtaking at times, but it is shallow and empty. It's not a good open world imo.

Death Stranding's social system makes this open world feel more alive than almost all open worlds I've explored. You see the impact of other players in positive ways constantly even if you never see them directly.

DS's open world has a similar sense of adventure as BotW, it's really rare for a game to make exploring feel so much like an actual adventure.

It's one of the best, imo, easily.
I'm not exactly sure what that means, it seems somewhat reductionist. You could say the same thing about the camps scattered across the open world in BotW. I really enjoyed exploring and traversing the world in Zero Dawn and barely used fast travel. It does not have the climbing mechanics of BotW and I would like to see something similar in the sequel but I never got the "it's empty" criticism. There aren't a ton of sidequests but there aren't in BotW either (and most of them are bad). Don't get me wrong, I quite enjoyed the open world in BotW as well and it represents a bit of a different approach but I think both have their place.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Games like BotW and DS work so well due to the game mechanics and the open world being completely intertwined. The true potential of the genre is finally being realized in mainstream titles.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
All these DS threads sound like people just trying to justify their purchase. Just enjoy the game there's no need to make a topic about every aspect of the game, people who are interested are gonna buy it regardless of other peoples opinions.
No, what's happening is people are enjoying the game a lot, are excited, and want to discuss and share their excitement and appreciation.

And people are regularly convinced to try a game by positive feedback on this very forum.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Than don't, it's not for you... and that's ok đź‘Ť

that doesnt sound like that its not for him. it sounds like a shit game. i know folks around here like to pretend bad games dont exist and instead "its not for you and thats ooookaaaay". But this game has literally every design aspect thats been criticized as the worst of the worst for many years. If this were ubisoft, people would be stomping the game. Here, its something genius that only refined people get

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not exactly sure what that means, it seems somewhat reductionist. You could say the same thing about the camps scattered across the open world in BotW. I really enjoyed exploring and traversing the world in Zero Dawn and barely used fast travel. It does not have the climbing mechanics of BotW and I would like to see something similar in the sequel but I never got the "it's empty" criticism. There aren't a ton of sidequests but there aren't in BotW either (and most of them are bad). Don't get me wrong, I quite enjoyed the open world in BotW as well and it represents a bit of a different approach but I think both have their place.
I disagree. The open world in Horizon is not a rewarding thing to move through. The areas just exist as combat zones with the occasional collectable. It is visually incredibly, but very, very shallow... especially in comparison to the best examples of open worlds out there. There's really not much unique stuff to discover.

BotW has a much larger sense of adventure imo, it has far more to actually discover while exploring.

Aug 10, 2019
that doesnt sound like that its not for him. it sounds like a shit game. i know folks around here like to pretend bad games dont exist and instead "its not for you and thats ooookaaaay". But this game has literally every design aspect thats been criticized as the worst of the worst for many years. If this were ubisoft, people would be stomping the game. Here, its something genius that only refined people get
The game is a masterpiece of game design, but it's not for everyone... and that's ok đź‘Ť

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Na, the game is amazing and will top GOTY polls. Wait for it! ;)

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The way you play has you mentally surveying the ground on the fly to find the best micro-routes around rocks, bumps and the like. Just as you would in real life when walking through similar countryside. It's that that's lost when you watch a video of it because it's something subtle but very effective and almost uncanny in how natural it feels (assisted by the landscape being close or identical to parts of Earth we're familiar with). It makes the act of walking active instead of passive as it is in most games.

Not to say you would enjoy it, but there's a significant amount lost in translation for the traversal when watching a video vs. playing.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The mark of a good open world is one where I want to actually engage with the world, almost at the exclusion of the "main content". Games with poor open worlds, such as Batman: Arkham Knight, Horizon, or the pre-Origins/Odyssey AC games, fail on this front, and sort of poison the well for how open world design is perceived. A game where I never want to quick travel, or use the Strand System because I would much rather actually engage with the world you have created because of how well it is designed, is an actual well designed open world. There are very few such open worlds, honestly. But I think Death Stranding has joined that league.

I disagree with the bolded but outside of that my view completely mirrors yours.

I usually don't really care about the open world part of open world games,(going from point A to point B to get to the scripted missions in a straight line basically) however DS by making the travelling part of the game it's core gameplay loop, it manages to legitimize the open world aspect in a meaningful way even though it's empty.

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Off-Topic Trolling Over Multiple Posts
Buy Trails of Cold Steel III, available now on Playstation 4.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda weird, for a game that beats you over the head about human connection.

If there's one thing that Kojima has been unerringly good at over the years, it's getting halfway to a solid metaphor and then getting distracted by something else so the payoff evaporates.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
It's brilliant, OP. Absolutely agree. I can't think of a better open world game in terms of marrying its robust mechanics with the world design and map/terrain system. Meticulously plotting out your route on the map by drawing out a route and executing on it is one of the more satisfying feelings I've had all gen.

The visual and sound design are both out of this world, too.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I would love to see some sales numbers. You can still buy the Collector's Editon in Germany. Every other Sony CE was sold out months before release.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
When this game wins ERAs GOTY it'll be a shitstorm of salt the likes of which dwarf 2008 MGS4.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
this reads like a post that could be meme'd well.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017

I mean that goes for all games, but usually there is more to a game than just traversing the map and I'm not paying $60 for something that looks like it would be a waste of my time, there must be something interesting there that shine through even in a gameplay video before I bite. So I just went to youtube instead and played through the story there because that's all that was left that I didn't want to miss.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Death Stranding sounds like a game that overstays it's welcome and then moves in with you. From videos I've seen, it seems like a concept that would work for a shorter game but it's not.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to see some sales numbers. You can still buy the Collector's Editon in Germany. Every other Sony CE was sold out months before release.

i'm gonna imagine it sold A Lot, perhaps even More than Baba Is You, a true piece of art that redefines what a video game can be.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. The open world in Horizon is not a rewarding thing to move through. The areas just exist as combat zones with the occasional collectable. It is visually incredibly, but very, very shallow... especially in comparison to the best examples of open worlds out there. There's really not much unique stuff to discover.

BotW has a much larger sense of adventure imo, it has far more to actually discover while exploring.
It felt very rewarding to me, just to go through and see the different areas, tame some of the robots to ride, experiment with the herds and different gear. I never got bored of it and simply cannot agree to just break it down to a series of connected combat zones.

Status
Not open for further replies.