• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
The mysterious Hideo Kojima posted an update about his even more mysterious creation Death Stranding on Twitter just now. Explaining about the production and development, Kojima says the game is in its "critical phase".

Kojima wrote that Death Stranding isn't in the stage of difficulty adjustment and debugging yet. Rather, the development team is actually putting together the game they developed on their development machine, to make it one final product.

"DS(Death Stranding) is not in the stage of difficulty adjustment and debugging yet, but is [in the stage of] putting together the parts of the tools made on the development machine into one game", Kojima wrote in Japanese.

Writing further, Kojima claims that he has been playing the game directly on the actual PlayStation 4 by connecting the parts, correcting the operations, specifications and problems. Kojima Productions are in the "process of fleshing and scraping".

https://www.spieltimes.com/news/death-stranding-in-critical-phase-of-development-says-hideo-kojima/

Last edited:

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Critical phase, as in, Sony reps just showed up and asked what the fuck is going on.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
They used google translate.

Here is the actual source:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
So sounds like all the content is ready and all thats left is putting it in the game and polishing.

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
Who the heck would translate that with "critical?" it just means that it's an important phase. As for the description of this phase, he's been saying that for a while so it isn't even news.

Oct 25, 2017
Seems odd to be making any conclusions or speculating based on a dodgy translation, but I'm sure that won't stop this thread from going for several pages, at least.

Oct 26, 2017
I have no idea what this phrasing means, but Death Stranding always seemed like it would take 5-6 years so I don't know.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I want mgs1-3 levels of crazy. Kojima unchained!
SHoT0b6.png

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I have no idea what this phrasing means, but Death Stranding always seemed like it would take 5-6 years so I don't know.
Why would it take him 6 years when he says that all the content is ready and all that is left is putting it in the game and polishing? He is basically in alpha stage now. And considering that DS is likely to not have nearly the amount of content cyberpunk or other huge AAA titles has, that process of polishing should not take nearly as long

ant1532

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
could be the end of this year then or could be middle of next year. its possible he may find that the game is missing things it needs and add another year of development.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
It sounds like a movie making approach.

I guess that they wrapped up most of the shooting and now theyre editing the film together and figuring out which scenes work and whats extra scenes they need to go back and shoot.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like where I assumed it was. My guess is early next year at the earliest.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Probably my most anticipated game. It could release today with the little info we have and I'll buy it. I wonder what this means for the release date though... Still hoping for 2019. #YearOfTheWhale