• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is this your first time with Death Stranding?

• Yeah

Votes: 500 46.7%
  • Nope, played it on PS4

Votes: 570 53.3%

• Total voters

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, the Gravity Glove is DOPE. Holy shit, this is such a lifesaver. It's not just a cosmetic, it's an actual item that has a use. It increases your pick-up range by a significant amount.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like some folks are figuring out solutions for this in the meantime:

Like I said, something's up with how this game handles Steam API stuff. The Big Picture overlay lags like all hell sometimes for some reason.
Turning Steam input off gave a ~40% performance boost for me. That's crazy. Looking at my performance stats, the game sees a hike in CPU performance and only uses 70% of my GPU with it on, whereas it uses 100% with it off.
Where do you get this?
There's a series of lost cargo quests you can find in your mail after going to the windmill. Look for the Lambda symbol. λ

Last edited:

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
5MBIth6.png

having lots of fun with the photo mode

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
So in chapter two I had a order to deliver urgent resin delivery with 45 min limit from wind farm to distribution center and somehow one of the resins are nowhere to be found. I ran back and forth between the two like 10 times and I am getting pissed off now. I just cancelled the mission and it says I have to wait 6 hours to take on the delivery again. Is that in real time or game time where I can sleep in room and go attempt again. I think I need it to advance to the next city :(

Drillow

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what is wrong with my PC (with a GTX 1060 6GB) but I'm unable to get a locked 60 at 1080p, especially on cutscenes (some of them are even sub 30 FPS).

I've disabled Big Picture (I play on a TV), Steam input and the Xbox Controller vibration and, it may have improved a little, but it is not near the performance it's supposed to be and the CPU/GPU utilisation is not close to 100%.

I hope next patch addresses these performance issues :(

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
So in chapter two I had a order to deliver urgent resin delivery with 45 min limit from wind farm to distribution center and somehow one of the resins are nowhere to be found. I ran back and forth between the two like 10 times and I am getting pissed off now. I just cancelled the mission and it says I have to wait 6 hours to take on the delivery again. Is that in real time or game time where I can sleep in room and go attempt again. I think I need it to advance to the next city :(
I believe there's an option to reset the cargo in case it gets lost or if there's a glitch. It'll just replace the cargo at the original space for you to pick-up.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I gathered 6 pieces of lost cargo and took it back to the city and I got a hat.

I like this game.

Just got past what I believe is the introduction and saved & quit for now before tackling a mountain on the way to the first knot.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
Looks like some folks are figuring out solutions for this in the meantime:

Whoa can definitely confirm!

Steam Input ON:
jDNI60.png

Steam Input Forced OFF:
jDNZlD.png

I can't test further but I wonder if it's double polling inputs or something because I just turned Steam Input OFF I did not disconnect my controller and moving the camera with the stick felt less heavy than when Steam Input was on, maybe this will also help with overall smoothness because even with GSYNC the game is not as smooth as others in my experience.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

Steam Input ON:
jDNI60.png

Steam Input Forced OFF:
jDNZlD.png

I can't test further but I wonder if it's double polling inputs or something because I just turned Steam Input OFF I did not disconnect my controller and moving the camera with the stick felt less heavy than when Steam Input was on, maybe this will also help with overall smoothness because even with GSYNC the game is not as smooth as others in my experience.
wtf

GMM

Oct 27, 2017

Steam Input ON:
jDNI60.png

Steam Input Forced OFF:
jDNZlD.png

Might explain all the weird controller input issues I have been having, super weird.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

What a crazy bug.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Steam Input ON:
jDNI60.png

Steam Input Forced OFF:
jDNZlD.png

Wow, I'm testing this now.

Jebral

Oct 29, 2017
Well isn't that bizarre? Hopefully this can get sorted as this game has reignited my desire to play with my Steam Controller. And I was also pumped about being able to hopefully hit 100ish fps consistently.

Darn it.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I am a tad disappointed by the depth of field solution - can be quite flickery if a lot of light sources are present in the background.

Schierke Mori

Oct 28, 2017
I'm getting screen tearing issues during cutscenes on my GSync monitor. Have Vsync unchecked in the in-game settings - game runs fine otherwise.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
This is hyping me up for the HZD port - release the floodgates Sony!

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a PC performance thread up? Can't find it.

I'm on a 4k 120hz HDR monitor, 10700k and 2080ti. 85ish fps with max settings and TAA.

What's the best to use, DLSS or that Fidelityfx cas thing?

I did notice that with dlss on quality, I get weird stuttering/ghosting on objects when the camera moves. With dlss on performance it's totally gone...I also can't really tell the difference between the two visually. With performance I get a locked 120fps.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, game just crashed with a DX12 error during the cutscene right after you make your first delivery and get in the "storm". Game is beautiful but as expected I need that 3080 Ti pronto lol, my aging 1080 can't reach 4k60 with CAS. Wish I had somebody to lend me a RTX card for DLSS until September :P I might just wait until the new cards hit tbh, seems there are quite a few bugs they need to fix anyway.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
New players may recognize the track if they saw the E3 2018 Trailer, but the voice of Prof Leila Adu really hits you, when the moment happens out in the open world:

From the PS4 thread:

That moment when Asylums for the feeling starts playing, my god what a game.
Had the part when the camera panned out and Asylums for the Feeling kicked in. True K I N O
When I saw that part in the TGS gameplay and Kojima was like "You'll get emotional" and I was like "Pfft, yeah, right". He didn't lie. Shit was beautiful.
Literally sat in my private room at Port Knot now having just done this. Great song, great moment. I'm gonna sit here for a bit now and read all the lore documents 🤤
So, i've put in about 12h into the game. Its absolutely incredible. Its hard to describe exactly why its fun, but I know i'm addicted to this weird game. I'm only in the beginning phases of Episode 3, but so far, the sequence/moment that cues up 'Asylum for the feeling' to finally play in-game might be one of my favorite moments of the generation. This game might be one of my favorite of the generation.
Yooo, when Asylums for the Feeling kicks in. That was excellent.

Gaming moment of the year, or at least on par with the Outer Wilds ending for me.

Nice, quoted for truth. I'll also mention that Leila seems really great (one / two / three).

If you like high-quality screenshots, we worked with 505 Games and Kojima Productions to get a group of virtual photographers around the world early access to the game. In something like 5 days, they made over 200 screenshots, which we've shared on https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/death-stranding-pc-virtual-photography/ in max quality (fullscreen on bottom right of each gallery). There are also a couple of awesome videos.

LwHKOMm.jpg

If you take a look at the shots, I recommend following the artists on their respective social channels as they'll be making and post more screenshots for Death Stranding and every other game they take interest in.

Also, I know folks are working on camera mods and hacks, opening the door to a greater variety and styles of screenshots.

Nice, didn't know about this, thanks for posting. Was Ansel support considered by the devs, maybe scrapped for time? I know some folks were hoping for custom resolutions, and support for resolution above 2160p.

...Also, I know folks are working on camera mods and hacks, opening the door to a greater variety and styles of screenshots.

Should be interesting :) Enjoying all the screenshots folks here have posted so far.

I'm supposed to steal some cargo from mules. The game is warning me about combat, but I have no weapons. Am I missing somehting?
If you hold right on the D-Pad you should be able to equip your Strand for this and it will make it easier if you can sneak up on them. Hold L2 to ready it and then hit R2 when you're close behind the MULEs to bind them. Make sure to give them a kick once they're tied up, I think they can eventually free themselves. That might only be with a different weapon you get later though.
You can also dodge, tackle and parry. Hold L2 and R2 and press square to tackle, X to dodge. To parry, prepare the strand with L2. When a Mule is about to hit you with their stick, press R2 to parry. Then you can bind them. You can also throw cargo at them. Pick up cargo in your right hand by holding R2, press square to swing, and let go of R2 to throw. Oh yeah just realized it's the PC version so I dunno if you're using a Dualshock. :P Well you can figure it out.

Good tips. Just to add, for a targeted Cargo Throw at the nearest mule: you can also let go of R2 first, and then (before Sam puts the Cargo down on the ground) immediately press square.

Guys, the Gravity Glove is DOPE. Holy shit, this is such a lifesaver. It's not just a cosmetic, it's an actual item that has a use. It increases your pick-up range by a significant amount.

Holy shit. [...]
Gaben has blessed us.

Very nice, definitely looking forward to this.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
What difficulty you guys recommend for my first playthrough?

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Well isn't that bizarre? Hopefully this can get sorted as this game has reignited my desire to play with my Steam Controller. And I was also pumped about being able to hopefully hit 100ish fps consistently.

Darn it.
I'm playing with a Steam controller and haven't really had issues.

I think it might be affecting DS4 users and it polling twice with Steam Input enabled, but with a Steam controller it would only poll once? I dunno.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
On the same thread on Steam forums regarding Steam Input problems someone posted:

In summary:

Vibration functionality causes stutters, especially in cutscenes
Steam Input Per-Game Setting causes massive performance loss

Currently, the best way to play would be to use an XInput Controller like the Xbox One Wireless, and to disable Vibration and Steam Input Per-Game. On a positive note: I did get an answer from 505 Games support and the issue is currently being looked into.

So hopefully they can fix it too, I'll try the vibration fix since I don't think GSYNC is working properly it just doesn't look as smooth but I haven't had a chance to do further testing after disabling Steam Input, maybe that alone did the trick.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Personally hard was far, far too easy for me on my first playthrough on ps4, If I hadn't selected the difficulty I would have thought I was actually playing on easy. Haven't played more than 3 hours on very hard, but so far it's also not very challenging, just seems like enemies do a bit more damage and detection radius is increased for stealth.

Last edited:

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

The game is really easy even on the hardest difficulty on the ps4. I think I died twice the entire game. Once you start getting certain equipment, enemies become trivial. One item in particular
The handcuffs

made things stupid easy.

Last edited:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017

Steam Input ON:
jDNI60.png

Steam Input Forced OFF:
jDNZlD.png

The controller/framerate thing doesn't happen with the Epic version. I'm going to mess around with it more and really pay attention to performance and stuttering.

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
Been an absolute blast so far, really cannot stress enough how amazing this looks with DLSS 2.0, it's absolutely incredible.

Excited to hopefully get all of the Half-Life cosmetics soon, the Gravity Gloves seem super slick.

bud

Oct 27, 2017
The game is really easy even on the hardest difficulty on the ps4. I think I died twice the entire game. Once you start getting certain equipment, enemies become trivial. One item in particular
The handcuffs

made things stupid easy.

i agree with that spoiler.

took all of the tension out of the bt encounters.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
i agree with that spoiler.

took all of the tension out of the bt encounters.

As Bud knows I'm playing the game on PS4 Pro at the moment, 2nd time of asking as I fell off it first time round after about 20 hours. I have got past the bit I got to last time and i'm enjoying the game much more this time.

I am trying not to use it Brother Budley

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Personally hard was far, far too easy for me on my first playthrough on ps4, If I hadn't selected the difficulty I would have thought I was actually playing on easy. Haven't played more than 3 hours on very hard, but so far it's also not very challenging, just seems like enemies do a bit more damage and detection radius is increased for stealth.
The handcuffs

made things stupid easy.
Thanks!