• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is this your first time with Death Stranding?

• Yeah

Votes: 500 46.7%
  • Nope, played it on PS4

Votes: 570 53.3%

• Total voters

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
How you finding the game so far? First time?
Yea, first time. I'm enjoying it a lot actually. I have hundreds of hours in games like Euro Truck and American Truck Simulator, I enjoy "traveling", deciding routes and stuff like that so I figured I could enjoy this one. If I could point out something "bad" is that I wanted to play the game and for the first couple of hours the cutscenes made it difficult. :P I don't mind a long cutscene from time to time, but I barely had any time to play the game at that point.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
This game in particular feels really bad over Steam Link. I think there's something up with how it interacts with the steam overlay.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yea, first time. I'm enjoying it a lot actually. I have hundreds of hours in games like Euro Truck and American Truck Simulator, I enjoy "traveling", deciding routes and stuff like that so I figured I could enjoy this one. If I could point out something "bad" is that I wanted to play the game and for the first couple of hours the cutscenes made it difficult. :P I don't mind a long cutscene from time to time, but I barely had any time to play the game at that point.
The rate at which you get cutscenes flung at you lowers dramatically once you get to Lake Knot. The game is very front-loaded when it comes to cutscenes but it all opens up.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
+1 here.
Can't wait to get home to play it.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have an RTX card? And want to play it again? I'd say it's probably not worth double dipping without DLSS. I didn't play on the Pro, but this isn't like RDR2, which is a massive leap imo. Playing this at quadruple the frame rate is pretty revelatory though. With settings cranked, I never get close to 120 fps in most modern games at 1440p, so this is pretty mind blowing from a performance perspective.

I am noticing really small stutters when panning and a city is in the distance. They are more subtle since the frame rate is so high, but still noticeable. I tried turning off vibration, but still see it.

Yeah I have an RTX card. The 30 fps on ps4 wasn't great, despite the excellent resolution.

I wonder if a patch is coming to fix the small stutters you mentioned.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
performance isn't so great on my 2070 super. the game runs at locked 60 some of the time, but I'm noticing big drops when I do certain things like picking up items or falling a short distance. turning the camera sometimes causes drops too.

the cutscenes mostly run at 60, but they often drop to 55, sometimes as low as 40 for a second

I'm running the game at 1440p

edit: also, if I rotate the camera constantly, I notice vertical black lines at the edge of the screen in the direction I'm rotating in. I've never seen anything like this before

also, DLSS doesn't seem to give me any performance gains at all? what's going on here?

Last edited:

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I can not get this game working properly with HDR at all, just going to turn it off. Also i cant select 4K resolution, anyone else with this problem?

Man having a PC is great, but it also stops me from enjoying a game till i get my settings right lol.

Im on a 2080S
What is your issue with HDR ? Working great for me

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
May I ask how you configured it in-game? The only thing I see changing when adjusting the slider is the clouds and I have no idea if I should see the shapes of them or leave it as the grey veil lol. Maybe I missed some help text yesterday, it was late already.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Washed out colours. I have to activate it in Windows so that messes up my screen, also in the game. Its actually doing the opposite of what it should be doing.

Some games just dont work decent with HDR for me on PC, Destiny 2 i can never get right either. Im also playing Doom Eternal and RE3 and that works great, its annoying.

But the game looks great regardless of HDR and im having fun so i'll manage.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
May I ask how you configured it in-game? The only thing I see changing when adjusting the slider is the clouds and I have no idea if I should see the shapes of them or leave it as the grey veil lol. Maybe I missed some help text yesterday, it was late already.
Yeah , where you see the biggest différence will be in the Sky area, i put it at 80 on my TV. For me , i wanted to see the shape of the cloud and before it became yellow

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Washed out colours. I have to activate it in Windows so that messes up my screen, also in the game. Its actually doing the opposite of what it should be doing.

Some games just dont work decent with HDR for me on PC, Destiny 2 i can never get right either. Im also playing Doom Eternal and RE3 and that works great, its annoying.

But the game looks great regardless of HDR and im having fun so i'll manage.
You have to enable it in the game too. First on Windows then in the game .

seldead

Oct 28, 2017
performance isn't so great on my 2070 super. the game runs at locked 60 some of the time, but I'm noticing big drops when I do certain things like picking up items or falling a short distance. turning the camera sometimes causes drops too.

the cutscenes mostly run at 60, but they often drop to 55, sometimes as low as 40 for a second

I'm running the game at 1440p

edit: also, if I rotate the camera constantly, I notice vertical black lines at the edge of the screen in the direction I'm rotating in. I've never seen anything like this before

also, DLSS doesn't seem to give me any performance gains at all? what's going on here?

The DLSS performance gains won't be noticed if you're running the game at 1440p with a 60 fps cap.

For my RTX 2070 it bumped up 1440p performance from 90ish fps to 120fps.

The stuttery drops interestingly disappeared for me when I restarted my computer and started a new game.

Sep 21, 2019
Death Standing: the game that made fetch quests fun.

Seriously, with Kojima's attention to detail and creativity this is more of an involved, engrossing hiking simulator.

And I love every minute of it.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I have a Samsung 55q6fn. The colours ans brightness are great when hdr is on.
On yours, it should be better.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK

the performance issues have cleared up, but i keep getting serious graphical bugs like this in cutscenes

by the way, my screenshots always look washed out when i have HDR on. the game's a lot more vibrant on my screen. is there a fix for that?

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018
svYZYpz.jpg

the performance issues have cleared up, but i keep getting serious graphical bugs like this in cutscenes

by the way, my screenshots always look washed out when i have HDR on. the game's a lot more vibrant on my screen. is there a fix for that?

Oh, this just triggered some primal fear in me... thanks.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone having weird issues using controllers with the game? It doesn't always switch to console UI and i get weird ghost input problems in Photo mode?

Also had this one shading glitch:
20200715120631_1ssk45.jpg

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
My rig is a 7700K + 2080ti (both not OC'd) and I have it hooked up to my LG B6 OLED (so no GSync). I have Vsync on in NVCP and off in-game. I had a handful of stutters in that opening scene with Sam on the motorcycle but they went away after that. I have the game maxed out with DLSS on Quality and it has been locked to 60 fps so far and I'm 3 hours in. I got to Chapter 3 on PS4 but never went any further so I'm glad I stopped cause this looks and feels so much better at 60 fps.

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
svYZYpz.jpg

Jesus Christ put a warning, that's some nightmare fuel right there.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
decided to restart the game and watch the cutscene again. the same bug happened with reedus' face, along with some additional spookiness
oElyh0k.jpg

it all resolved once I got back to gameplay though. anyone else been getting stuff like this?

edit: perhaps i spoke too soon lol
Dqteoji.jpg

might just wait for a patch before i keep playing, this stuff is really taking me out of the game

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
man you guys are getting some wild glitches.

fwiw, not a single visual glitch of any kind on my end. Had some stutters early on at start, but thought that might be an issue with my PC more than anything else as sometimes is the case for me. Hard reboot the system (pulled the power cable and drained the power out of the system) and stutters are have been virtually gone for the few hours of play since.

You all might want to try a hard reboot. Alternately, a fresh install of your drivers via DDU is never a bad idea. Otherwise idk.

3900x + 2080ti + 32GB ram @ 3800Mhz (custom timings) fwiw.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
decided to restart the game and watch the cutscene again. the same bug happened with reedus' face, along with some additional spookiness
oElyh0k.jpg

it all resolved once I got back to gameplay though. anyone else been getting stuff like this?

Dqteoji.jpg

might just wait for a patch before i keep playing, this stuff is really taking me out of the game

havent encounter such glitch at all. Try updating nvidia geforce driver?

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah the graphics are disappointing to me. With the increase in res and framerate it just adds a lot of clarity such that you notice that this isn't on the level of a RDR2, or even Witcher 3.

Maybe better LODs could help. Tbf I remember the more volcanic looking areas being a lot more striking than the mountainous countryside you start off in

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Just letting the game run for a couple minutes is enough to get rid of stutters.
Game is doing something in the background after first start up. Once that's done it's easy sailing.
huh.

edit: if possible, I definitely recommend installing games on a drive OTHER THAN your C/Windows install drive. Usually better for performance, not having to compete with OS needs.

Jul 26, 2018

This happened during my stream and my friends and I just laughed hard. It's crazy how it caused my GPU to hit 100% (RTX 2080 Super) and my whole PC was stuttering.

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
PSA: for those who want to play this anywhere, Death Stranding on PC is supported by GeForce Now with DLSS, even on free tier.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Played just a bit for the first time yesterday, had some noticeable stutters at the beginning, but they went away once I turned on DLSS, running on a 2070 Super at 1080p, runs at about 90fps, only did the prologue so will update once the game actually starts.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Thankfully, apart from a couple of times during quick sequences in the opening cutscenes, my game isn't stuttering. I just can't help but feel that certain things don't look as good as it did on my Pro. The grass and some plants look wonky and the draw distance on them sucks. Also, so many lines in the menus have jaggies and it's bothering me. I managed to calibrate the HDR and finally get it working on Windows 10 tho so at least some good came out of all of this.

I just wish this game had more graphical settings, it's sorely lacking in that dept.

AndyBNV

NVIDIA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
If you like high-quality screenshots, we worked with 505 Games and Kojima Productions to get a group of virtual photographers around the world early access to the game. In something like 5 days, they made over 200 screenshots, which we've shared on https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/death-stranding-pc-virtual-photography/ in max quality (fullscreen on bottom right of each gallery). There are also a couple of awesome videos.

LwHKOMm.jpg

If you take a look at the shots, I recommend following the artists on their respective social channels as they'll be making and post more screenshots for Death Stranding and every other game they take interest in.

Also, I know folks are working on camera mods and hacks, opening the door to a greater variety and styles of screenshots.

Jun 26, 2018
oElyh0k.jpg

Dqteoji.jpg

I'm sorry about the technical problems youre facing, but your game is clearly haunted

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
holy shit
I read that unplugging your controller would lead to an FPS boost. just tried it and watched my FPS go from 85 to about 130

edit: video demonstration. turn on subtitles

Last edited:

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Do all of the hand prints on Sam symbolize how Konami has their filthy hands all over his body of work?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
PSA: for those who want to play this anywhere, Death Stranding on PC is supported by GeForce Now with DLSS, even on free tier.
Yeah, it's awesome! Especially if you have hardware that's in the low/mid-tier. Smooth as butter and it's extremely responsive. 1080p is as high as it goes, running with DLSS enabled in quality mode. Image is a little soft, but that's to be expected.