• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is this your first time with Death Stranding?

• Yeah

Votes: 500 46.7%
  • Nope, played it on PS4

Votes: 570 53.3%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 version uses the gyro occasionally, yeah? I'll want to try this with my controller in Switch mode... Steam Input support has to be a shoo-in for a PC version with the kind of care I'm seeing. Wonder how that'll work on standard Xbox controllers, though.

If you're looking for a performance test on more modest hardware, Rock Paper Shotgun has an article detailing how the game runs on a GTX 1060 here.
From what I remember the only function of the gyro, shaking the baby to calm it down when it panics(just roll with it),was optional and you could assign it to the triggers if you wanted to.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty tempted to take advantage of the Green Man Gaming deal and get this, but I should probably hold off—I'm right in the middle of Red Dead 2, and so certainly don't need another big game to play right now. While I enjoy Kojima weirdness and the type of nice production values this game has, I have no idea if I'll enjoy the game loop, which would normally prompt me to wait for a game to get cheaper. And while I'm sure it will run fine on my GTX 1080, it could be that much nicer on the 30xx I plan to get this fall.

We'll see if my willpower can hold up through the tech analysis videos and other discussion that will come with this release.

Nov 22, 2017
Just when I thought I was out... I double dipped.
Gonna start in very hard hoping that the game will force me to care more about the terrain.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
nL4D8mP.jpg

That's actually an hour off, but here's a countdown timer that auto-updates when you refresh:

t1594735200z0.png

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Likely, it's got that mix of
1. No shock about what the game actually is anymore
2. People will likely relate to the game world more due to covid isolation
Yeah and I can see this being more popular on PC since in the playerbase there's a huge number of people that are into out of the ordinary grindy/slow experiences.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
I see some people still on the fence about whether to grab this or not. I'm going to be replaying it myself, having loved it immensely on ps4. To those wondering about length or long cinematics....this is pretty much Kojima unleashed. Haha. I don't want to spoil anything but there is a cutscene that is.....

Over TWO HOURS in length

Better pack a lunch and dinner for certain sections of this game.

Oct 27, 2017
Great work on the OT, vestan! And on the list of minimally-spoilerish gameplay tips you compiled, which would definitely help out new players.

Just reading through the tips below would certainly give folks a better idea of what the game's about (for those still on the fence about it).

Otherwise, of course, as noted below, it might be best to go in blind, and consult the tips only if/when you feel like you're hitting a wall.

Aha yeah, you're right actually, At first I just wanted to compile the important bits [...] Gonna spoiler tag it and put up a disclaimer saying that if you're going in blind, it is best to just experience all of this stuff first-hand. To be fair though, there is a lot of annoying stuff that the game doesn't explain to you.
Pre-load is available right now so for those of you heading in, here are a bunch of tips I compiled. I will be spoiler tagging these tho (there's no spoilers) because I'd rather you just jump in if you're going in blind and experience it all first-hand but they're there if you want a head start.

----------------------------------------

1. Do not kill people. Seriously, you don't want to do this.
    [*]Cargo disappears after 750ish meters and you won't be able to recover it. Other players online can though.
    [*]As players around the world go down a certain path, it becomes a desire path. It's worth building useful structures near these like generators and even safe houses.
    [*]You need to get into the habit of actually planning your route and thinking about the type of equipment you need instead of just auto-piloting and trekking unprepared. If you're going down a route with flat terrain, then bringing a trike/truck helps. If your route requires you to go through some rocky terrain, consider equipping a speed skeleton and bring along a few floating carriers for cargo.
    [*]Always throw ropes back.
    [*]Play Chapter 1 at your own pace but when you get to Chapter 2, do all the story deliveries ASAP. The reason being is that getting to Chapter 3 as soon as possible makes the game way more enjoyable as the game opens up. You start unlocking some neccessary equipment and some new mechanics show up. I guarantee you most people who dropped the game early got side-tracked around Chapter 2. You can go back and do those deliveries later with better gear. EDIT: I'd like to add that if you're enjoying Chapter 1 and 2, then there's no need to rush. Play your way :)
    [*]Please don't rush through this game (outside of Chapter 2 imo), the game is sooooooooooooooooooo good when you take your time to breathe it all in.
    [*]You can refill your canteen by standing in rivers and ponds. Taking a swig from your canteen helps replenish your stamina.
    [*]Engage in the Social Strand System. Leaving ladders, climbing anchors out for other porters to use is a really cool feeling. As weird as it sounds, knowing you're helping others the same way they're helping you is neat and makes the game stand out from other open-world games. I wouldn't go as far to say it is a new genre like Kojima would but it is the game's defining aspect imo. Sooner or later you'll become a clout-chasing porter just like me, building bridges to rake those likes in and have your name known :^)
    [*]Get in the habit of reading your mail as some of them unlock new deliveries to do and award likes.
    [*]Carry a can of repair spray at all times, you never know when you'll need it.
    [*]You need to have the game's difficulty on Hard in order to get the S-rank Legend of Legends grade on Premium deliveries.
    [*]Making strand contracts with other players has their structures show up more frequently in your world, it's worth doing this with higher-ranked porters as they will have probably built some useful stuff.
    [*]A lot of the preppers in Chapter 3 have some insanely useful unlocks. Sweating out their deliveries to get them to four stars connection level is worth doing.
    [*]Not all preppers will want to join the UCA and the chiral network as soon as you show up on their doorstep. You will need to increase your connection level with them before they do.
    [*]Timefall shelters automatically repair all of your containers. Remember though that container durability is not the same as cargo durability (which can't be repaired.)
    [*]Start building highways as soon as you're given the option to as it makes the game wayyyyyyyy less tedious, especially when doing side deliveries. Loot a MULE camp for resources to build it if you have to.
    [*]Contributing to a shared structure like a highway or bridge is important as someone else can finish it off and it benefits you all.
    [*]Once you unlock the floating carrier, always carry one with you at all times.
    [*]Multiple small trips > one big one (earlier on anyways.)
    [*]In the early game, auto-sort is king when it comes to managing cargo but please don't make this a crutch. Later on, you'll want to have the most important cargo at the bottom of your backpack and auto-sort doesn't always do this. Generally when it comes to cargo, important stuff at the bottom of your backpack, weapons attatched to your suit and equipment at the very top of your backpack.
    [*]Always check the shared locker before fabricating equipment. Most of the time, the stuff you need has already been donated by another player.
    [*]Look to the sky and pay attention to strands. Blue strands lead you to cargo you can pick up, green strands are structures and equipment left by other porters and black strands are BTs.
    [*]Sometimes it's worth getting nabbed by BTs. If you come across the Catcher boss, killing it will give you a LOT of Chiralium crystals.
    [*]If Gazers (those golden BTs) grab you, it's an instant death.
    [*]Pack multiple boots.

One other non-spoilery thing to keep in mind is how to use the triggers (not yet sure of the corresponding K/M controls) to make use of Sam's left (L2) and right (R2) arms. Mainly for balancing during traversal, but also for carrying cargo by hand, which expands your combat options:

[3m49s] Tim Rogers: "...if Sam starts to tip over you will see a little button prompt on the screen telling you to pull either the right or left trigger to lean right or left respectively by making Sam grab one or even both of his backpack straps. So here's the tiniest little fundamental tip that I can think of: these button prompts are not a QTE. Death Stranding is not inventing its backpack strap grab mechanic inside that exact instant that that tutorial tip pops up. You can grab your backpack straps -- left, right, or both -- even when the game is not telling you to. You can use the triggers to predict and preemptively compensate for accidental leaning that hasn't even happened yet. You're meant to be feathering on and off of each or both triggers throughout every foot journey. Perhaps with just this one tip in mind you can start to see how ridiculously rich the rest of this game ends up becoming..."
[1m23s] Boomstick Gaming: "...as you're probably fully aware once your bundle of gifts gets quite top-heavy you'll have to regularly balance back and forth in order to not topple over. Although holding down both the grip buttons [at the same time] will prevent this, you cannot sprint while doing this, which [makes it] a very safe way to travel, but definitely not the quickest. This is no problem really because as long as the load on you is balanced well, and you're on fairly flat terrain, you can just press directly forward on the analog stick without moving left or right at all to fully sprint ahead [note: L3 to sprint], even if you have an awkwardly large Tower of junk on you. Think of yourself now like a big semi-truck hauling goods, and whenever you do need to turn simply grip both triggers, change to the direction you need to head, wait for the gear to balance, and proceed to press directly forward on the analog stick..."
And in general, continuously holding both L2 and R2 at the same time (holding both backpack straps) is perfectly fine (it's the safest way to move): there's just a small penalty to movement speed and stamina. It's a pretty small price to pay for safety, so I think everyone would say, continue doing this as often as needed... If you feel like taking slightly more risk: you can try to press/hold/release just one or the other (either L2 alone to lean left, or R2 alone to lean right) as needed, before the game prompts you to do so. So if you're running straight, and you're about to take a sharp left turn that you know will typically cause a loss of balance (resulting in the 'R2 Shift Weight Right' prompt), you can press/hold R2 and lean to the right before the prompt appears, and thereby prevent the loss of balance completely. Your balance depends on the angle of the terrain, how close you are to your weight limit, how top-heavy your load is, and your center of gravity (which is shown by this circle on the cargo menu screen). If you're picking up cargo as you go, one thing that can help is to make frequent use of the auto-arrange function (available from the cargo menu screen). To get to that screen a bit faster: bring up the map with the options button, and then just press X...

Some messy additional tips:

• If you happen to be holding cargo in your left hand (meaning that you're pressing and holding L2): Let go of L2 and immediately press R2 --> Sam will switch the cargo to his right hand
  • Note that you can't grab your backpack strap (can't lean/balance) with an arm that's carrying cargo.
  • Pressing square while holding either L2 or R2:
    • Sam will swing the cargo (execute a melee attack, if a certain type of enemy is nearby).
  • The right hand is the one you want to use when throwing cargo at an enemy, which is done a bit differently from swinging cargo.
  • To throw cargo at a distant enemy:
    • While holding cargo (preferably in your right hand, with R2), note that if you were to suddenly release R2, Sam wouldn't immediately put the cargo down on the ground. You would actually have about a full second (after releasing R2) before Sam would begin to place that piece of cargo on the ground.
    • This turns out to be a very generous timing window, in practice, and it makes the next part extremely easy.
    • While holding onto the cargo in your right hand (still holding R2), position yourself to face the enemy, so that you have a clear, straight line shot.
    • Then: let go of R2, and any time within the next second (before Sam puts the cargo down), press square.
GIFs showing the above:

Also, one thing to note about cutscenes: even in the PS4 version (and even on the first playthrough), you have the option to skip any/all of the cutscenes.

There is only one exception to this, late in the game.

Definitely won't go into spoilers, but after looking at a playthrough of Episode 13 to refresh my memory and confirm, the unskippable segments amount to 11-12 mins in total:

You can definitely skip them all (press 'Options' to pause the cutscene, then the right arrow on the d-pad to confirm the skip). You'll also definitely want to turn off the 'BT Encounter Warning' cutscene, which you can do within the game's settings (set 'BT Encounter Warning' to 'First Time Only', as shown in the image here).

SFKZmLu.jpg

Also, from searching youtube for "all cutscenes death stranding", and looking at the first four results that claim to have aggregated all of the cutscenes into a single video, we seem to be looking at slightly different estimates of total cutscene length (no clue how their criteria differ): anywhere from 7h22m in total, at the low end, to 11h43m total, at the high end. Either way, that would definitely amount to less than half of your total playtime for the game (if you end up completing it), which would be a good thing, if you're mostly interested in the gameplay:

How Long to Beat: Death Stranding
PdF2Sd2.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020
How do sites like Greenmangaming and WinGameStore work? Are they legitimate resellers? Am I supporting the developer if I buy from one of these sites? It's 10€ less on WGS.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i am actually looking forward to see what the mod scene comes up with for the PC release

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Wait what are we talking about here?
the bit where you have to stop the extinction by walking around the beach while cutscene after cutscene plays with amelie dropping annoying info dumps and then the credits roll for the first time.

this entire sequence goes on for like a good 50 minutes. i get what kojima was going for here but idk, execution was poor and it felt extremely frustrating.

Miggsthejust

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to try and get some friends into the game now with the PC version available, but I had a heck of a time finding a single trailer that encapsulates the game without spoiling TOO much, or painting it as MGS6. So I ended up cutting a few of the trailers together into something I thought showed enough of the game to get someone excited.

It still ended up 7 minutes, lol lots to cover.

Oct 27, 2017
[...] Also, one thing to note about cutscenes: even in the PS4 version (and even on the first playthrough), you have the option to skip any/all of the cutscenes. There is only one exception to this, late in the game. Definitely won't go into spoilers, but after looking at a playthrough of Episode 13 to refresh my memory and confirm, the unskippable segments amount to 11-12 mins in total:

Wait what are we talking about here?
the bit where you have to stop the extinction by walking around the beach while cutscene after cutscene plays with amelie dropping annoying info dumps and then the credits roll for the first time.

this entire sequence goes on for like a good 50 minutes. i get what kojima was going for here but idk, execution was poor and it felt extremely frustrating.
Yeah, while the game does technically let you skip the cutscenes that occur within that 50-minute sequence [so you can skip the info dumps from Amelie], it does not let you skip the [mandatory, aimless walking segments].

Combined, those unskippable [aimless walking segments] add up to 11-12 minutes.

Just looked at Ludvig Forssell's twitter for any clues about the Expanded Soundtrack (pre-order bonus) with no luck, but he does seem in good spirits:

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Hmm, I see. Because I usually don't play games, and primarily watch movies, as I'm only in it for the story in most cases.

But hiking around, figuring out how much weight I can manage, liking stuff, and delivering seems intriguing. But I would be up in arms if the characters are interesting and the story worth it.

I hope a GTX 780 with a i5 4670K 4C/4T can run this game at 1080p, 30fps and maybe on medium settings?
Kepler cant run the game at all because its DX feature level 11.

Nvidia GPUs of the 9 series and newer are required. For AMD i dont remember which GPUs started supporting DX feature level 12

WackoWambo

Jan 11, 2018
I got the platinum in 100 hours flat and didn't skip any cutscenes. I even did non trophy content. Had a very organic experience. Would be surprised if completionists on PC take over 100 hours with those fast loads.

Ashok

Jan 24, 2019
As someone who absolutely loved the story in MGS1-4, how is Death Stranding's story quality wise compared to MGS? And am I likely to find Death Stranding's long cutscenes problematic if I loved the cutscenes in MGS4?

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
This game should really have a 'You beat this game before, here's a New Game Plus that forgoes a lot of that game's early bullshit"

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What about Maxwell cards ? (I've got a Titan)

There's seems to be some confusion about them.

Run dxdiag on your computer, it'll tell you the latest direct x it runs.

Pretty sure anything from around that time should support it.

Oct 27, 2017
I double dipped as it looks like my pc just barely makes it to recommended 60fps @1080p specs. 1080ti isn't the problem but my 4770k.... still has some gas in it lol. Cyberpunk will make me finally upgrade though.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
gg.deals

Buy cheap DEATH STRANDING Steam key at the best price

Compare prices of over 50 stores to find best deals for DEATH STRANDING in digital distribution. Check the price history, create a price alert, buy games cheaper with GG.deals
Here's a list of official ones. It also shows the non-official/shady in a second tab called Keyshops, those are the ones that should be avoided if you want to support the developers, despite having tempting prices.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
I stopped a little more than half way through back around launch on PS4. I will return to it today along with you guys. I don't want to restart and pay more money.