• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone watch the Geoff Knighly interview after the press conference? Lindsay Wagner, stutters and calls it (Death Stranding) the "film" then covers her mouth and says game. I'm starting to think this is gonna be more of a straight narrative interactive, not sure how I feel about that...
I doubt she knows much at all about the game itself lol.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If this is indeed a Lovecraft game then I hope there is no combat.
Looks amazing so far.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the woman in the trailer is a Delivery person as well from another reality. Her jacket read "FRAGILE EXPRESS" being held up by two skeletal hands with the subtitle "handled with love"

I like how they were comparing notes of their worlds at the start. "I've got the extinction factor but I think you have me beat"

Also the woman at the end is the woman next to Sam in the photograph, and the photograph itself looks like it might be getting warped as things get erased a la back to the future.

In re-watching the trailer I've come to appreciate it a lot more, not that it's the best DS trailer we've gotten, but there is a lot of information here hidden in the cracks.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
People don't realize that some game elements were definitely shown this time around.
You deliver (crates? Babies?)
You die and come back, but the place in which you died becomes a crater
You have to balance yourself while walking
You can climb everything!
There are guns!
There is stealth gameplay!
The game will deal with TIME SHIFT, mainly fast forward.

The thing is, Kojima's message is not ever given openly. You have to read the trailers, interpret them. You have to pay attention!

I love it!

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
The scale of this game looks insane. Way bigger than I anticipated. Figured the world/ objective little more narrow.

Also this game seems to be a stealth horror game now. Shooting doesn't seem to be an option (or a good one at least).

Kojimas music game is ace for picking out completely tracks

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am wondering if these shadow-doted black ghosts he tried to avoid could represents other players. We know the game has a strong multi-pve component no ? So a Soul-istic mmo-fied thing maybe : one world, xx instances in it and shared events between linked to player's activities.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
People don't realize that some game elements were definitely shown this time around.
There are guns!

The thing is, Kojima's message is not ever given openly. You have to read the trailers, interpret them. You have to pay attention!

I love it!

This honestly sounds pretty fascinating and a big departure from MGS. It seems his sensibility may have been stifled by decades of building on a formula he conceived in his twenties.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are guns!

I love it!

I wonder how they are (apparently) managing multiple realities and time skips turning things into craters, a lot of procedural stuff one would think? If Sam and the other express person are from different worlds, how are they crossing through/over between worlds, and what/why are they transporting things from one world to the next?

Are there very small pockets of humans basically surviving in isolation throughout realities? It would make sense if being 'caught' created a timeskip that generated the equivalent of a nuclear bomb.

Also interesting that we see 'two sams' in the trailer, or at least Sam from two separate points in his life. One clean cut like in the photograph and one rugged.

Not every game has to have you shooting and punching things.

To be fair, there was a gun in the trailer. Sam unloaded a Sniper Rifle near the end of the first segment, and he was overlooking what looked like a settlement.

Last edited:

zeitheist

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Loved it.

I love that it's not overly traditional in what people were hoping or expected. I am completely unironically excited by footage of the protagonist exploring vast stretches of empty Scandinavian wilderness and scavenging goods. Emptiness and scale are important for evoking an authentic sense of loneliness and journey. While it might seem empty and boring, the actual act itself is right up my alley. The game looks bleak and moody, like everything is chilled and cold.

I couldn't have said it better. Exploring the wilderness looks already exciting to me.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Well he got caught at the end resulting in a death sequence so there must be a stealth condition.

The gameplay part for holding breath and not talking in that section is needing the microphone or the PS Camera to catch your voice and any possible voice can trigger those figures whoch will detect you something simialr to Alien Isolation voice detection.
Kojima loves doing such behidn 4th wall interactions.

GroovySnake

Jun 10, 2018
USA
Game still has me hyped and intrigued, look forward to seeing what Hideo does in this open anything he wants project.

And it's been a few months shy of three years total since MGSV hit, not that long. Especially since he set up a new studio.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
There are guns!

I love it!

Exactly!

In the trailer we saw:
  • Walking lol
  • Sam carrying various amounts of items and using tools to help him
  • The items affecting weight distribution
  • Climbing steep mountains, scaling cliffs, crossing crevaces, fording rivers
  • All the above suggests that choosing your path wisely will be super important, as we can see him losing items when trying to ford a river that's too deep. The amount of items you're carrying will most likely affect the paths you can or can't take.
  • Drinking from a canteen (Stamina? Hydration?)
  • The extra boots he's carrying + several shots of his fucked up feet suggests that gear, or at least boots, degrade over time.
  • Several different outfits.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved it.

I love that it's not overly traditional in what people were hoping or expected. I am completely unironically excited by footage of the protagonist exploring vast stretches of empty Scandinavian wilderness and scavenging goods. Emptiness and scale are important for evoking an authentic sense of loneliness and journey. While it might seem empty and boring, the actual act itself is right up my alley. The game looks bleak and moody, like everything is chilled and cold. I love the spooky ghostly apparitions. The stealth systems look simple but great, visually interesting and, at the very least, in the hands of a director that certainly has plenty of experience leading excellent stealth games. Narrative might still be a complete weird mystery of minimalist techno horror but still not knowing much has me all the more excited. Honestly I hope it stays this way until release. I hope it goes the opposite of Metal Gear and avoids outrageously long trailers littered with heavy exposition and continues to keep the setting and context a total mystery until I get to play.

I'm really, really excited for Death Stranding.

I'm in this boat as well, while it might not have made for the best trailer at a press conference (I think that more so has to do with the botched format of the conference itself). Negative space is important, and once of the reasons why Mass Effect 1 worked as well as it did, warts and all. There will no doubt be a LOT to this game, but this aspect of isolation is clearly important.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Well he got caught at the end resulting in a death sequence so there must be a stealth condition.

There seems to be some kind of stealth-based gameplay, and it might be an open world, but that this is all we can say at this point, despite being two years out, hardly shows how the game has been laid out in a straightforward manner.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if dying makes it any easier to traverse areas? Causing a voidout and leaving a crater might be a better option than climbing a mountain.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The more I watch the trailer the more it looks like this is going to be purely survival horror with exploration

user__

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I wish there were subtitles on the video. Most of the speech lines are barely recognizable for me. I can't catch what the hell they are talking about.
One of the most intriguing things I saw in the video, it's that the normal flowing of time is completely broken it seems. If it's not a part of the gameplay mechanics, I'm very curious to see how this part is involved in the narrative. These people making the game are wild.
If this is some kind of exploration game, I'm all for it. But I think there's much more beyond this.

Oct 28, 2017
Loved it, and love de divisiveness surrounding this showing. So many little details to unpack and puzzle in with the other trailers!

Kojima threw you all for a loop, and it's funny to see how people with little imagination are running into walls here. This game obviously isn't for everybody, so don't feel bad if you dont like it!

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Lea Seydoux told an African woman she smelled like a chicken dish....mess. I wish the Emma Stone rumors came true.

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I wish there were subtitles on the video. Most of the speech lines are barely recognizable for me. I can't catch what the hell they are talking about.
One of the most intriguing things I saw in the video, it's that the normal flowing of time is completely broken it seems. If it's not a part of the gameplay mechanics, I'm very curious to see how this part is involved in the narrative. These people making the game are wild.
If this is some kind of exploration game, I'm all for it. But I think there's much more beyond this.

use the close caption option on youtube

Sherlocked

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm up on the trailer and the only thing I find insufferable are people declaring something insufferable because not everyone conforms to their opinion.

Well, that is mostly because how people articulate that. If you read things like "shit, trash, dogshit" and so on this doesn't even qualify as criticism. Of course there are people that express their feelings like normal humans but there is a good amount of pure hate here.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Loved the stealth bit, but going through bare environments like they demonstrated doesn't look all that enticing on its own. I know there will be more systems attached and it's certainly beautiful, but it felt more like an engine demonstration reel than a first peek at gameplay.

I'm really interested to know what sort of packages Sam is delivering (saw boots, a wrapped body, crates on back and on hover trolleys), and what the consequences are in the instances where you don't successfully deliver them.

Once those systems tying everything together are revealed, it will probably change the tune.

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
There's definitely some truth to this.

Mo05lT0.jpg

Although I don't know if the Yakuza are actually involved. :P

Um, Fukushima wrote Acid and Ghost Babel without Kojima and they were hot garbage. So...

Also yikes @ some of the reactions in this thread. Era is truly hot take central.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Loved it, and love de divisiveness surrounding this showing. So many little details to unpack and puzzle in with the other trailers!

Kojima threw you all for a loop, and it's funny to see how people with little imagination are running into walls here. This game obviously isn't for everybody, so don't feel bad if you dont like it!

lol, "You just need to use your imagination!!" Now I'm having flashbacks to that epic Sea of Thieves thread.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Intrigued and confused at the same time. It has a sci-fi/horror/thriller/dystopian vibes going. I like what I am seeing but the lack of details is annoying.

BIGLukas

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Definitely not what I expected, but actually much better than what I was expecting. There is also clearly so much that we haven't seen so it's kind of pointless to make any judgments yet.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
It looks to be a very gross game, other than that I am a bit intrigued, I like more "silent" games with less action, as everyone is trying to pack in as much explosions and violence as possible nowadays. lol @ Having a newborn around your chest for protection. -Also did she swallow an Embryo at the end? lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.