• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you enjoying Death Stranding?

• Yes its a great experience

Votes: 712 43.4%
  • No its a mess

Votes: 367 22.4%
  • I Have Mixed feelings

Votes: 207 12.6%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 354 21.6%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I think his issue is that it works as well as it does, not that it didn't let him do everything. Which is why he mentions Skyrim.

If I have to ignore the actual optimal path to do something in a game in order for it not to look goofy as shit, I'd consider that an issue with the game.

It's like when I see people playing a game by constantly spamming roll to move everywhere. It's ridiculous, but I don't blame them, I blame the game for that to be more optimal than moving in a way that looks smooth and doesn't sound annoying.

He's absolutely deliberately playing the game poorly on purpose in many parts, and some of his criticism is really weird, but this is the one that I felt like it actually made sense.

To me it would be a somewhat minor issue, though, as I still really love Skyrim, even with the wonky ass mountain climbing.
that hardly seems like the optimal approach. on the contrary, he seems to dismiss what i presume is the optimal approach for such situations (building zip lines) as not playing the game

Rsinart

Oct 27, 2017
While I laughed at some of that cause I felt the same way, I still really enjoyed the 60-70 hours I played of Death Stranding.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
I think his issue is that it works as well as it does, not that it didn't let him do everything. Which is why he mentions Skyrim.

If I have to ignore the actual optimal path to do something in a game in order for it not to look goofy as shit, I'd consider that an issue with the game.

It's like when I see people playing a game by constantly spamming roll to move everywhere. It's ridiculous, but I don't blame them, I blame the game for that to be more optimal than moving in a way that looks smooth and doesn't sound annoying.

I actually just looked up the WR run of this game to look at the fastest optimal routing of the game so far, and turns out all the routes for the most part intentionally avoided hazards, went around rocky terrain, and was actually impressed by the way the bike was interacting with the environment.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually just looked up the WR run of this game to look at the fastest optimal routing of the game so far, and turns out all the routes for the most part intentionally avoided hazards, went around rocky terrain, and was actually impressed by the way the bike was interacting with the environment.
Oh, that sounds great, actually. Good to know.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
When people complain about Dunkey misrepresenting the game, I think he's trying to emphasize his point.

If he just talked about the game being boring, and showed normal footage, that wouldn't really get the point across. I seriously doubt that everything shown in the video is exactly how he played it.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California

Dunkey thinks the game is a failure and an embarrassment for Kojima. Also some light spoilers included.
1/5

Dunkey's schtick is the definition of diminishing returns for me personally. As a piece of comedy it is fairly entertaining but if lensed as a critical review this video specifically is INCREDIBLY disingenuous and misleading. I can never figure out what lane he is swimming in.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
When people complain about Dunkey misrepresenting the game, I think he's trying to emphasize his point.

If he just talked about the game being boring, and showed normal footage, that wouldn't really get the point across. I seriously doubt that everything shown in the video is exactly how he played it.

this. i mean, if that's his own footage of him playing, if he played as bad as he shows all the time he'd have never made in to the cave

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

It looks more like he had preconceptions about the game and decided he didn't like it before playing it. Which means when playing it, he played it in the most obtuse way possible to confirm his bias.

"Wow the climbing really sucks," said Dunkey as he was trying to climb parts of the world geometry you really aren't meant to climb.

"Wow the driving sucks," said dunkey as he drove vehicles into areas they aren't really meant to be used in, at least not effectively. Oh and also with a fucking bomb in one.

"this game really punishes you for not being prepared but also punishes you for being prepared," said dunkey as he either had absolutely no items in his cargo or entirely too fucking many.

Also I'm kind of pissed that this dude straight up spoils some of the best moments I've seen so far in the game towards the end of the video without so much as a warning. And I'm a longtime dunkey fan.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It looks more like he had preconceptions about the game and decided he didn't like it before playing it. Which means when playing it, he played it in the most obtuse way possible to confirm his bias.

"Wow the climbing really sucks," said Dunkey as he was trying to climb parts of the world geometry you really aren't meant to climb.

"Wow the driving sucks," said dunkey as he drove vehicles into areas they aren't really meant to be used in, at least not effectively. Oh and also with a fucking bomb in one.

"this game really punishes you for not being prepared but also punishes you for being prepared," said dunkey as he either had absolutely no items in his cargo or entirely too fucking many.

Also I'm kind of pissed that this dude straight up spoils some of the best moments I've seen so far in the game towards the end of the video without so much as a warning. And I'm a longtime dunkey fan.

Eh, I mean, I get where you're coming from but that's sort of what turns me off about Death Stranding.

He's not trying to climb at 70 degrees angles because he doesn't know better, he's trying to show off that you can't. For me, that's a dealbreaker. I don't want to have to consider terrain or be methodical, that's fucking boring. I wanna yeet myself at 200 mph up a sheer cliff face. The most important things to me in games are speed, momentum, and energy, which it just feels like DS isn't made for.

Does that mean I think it's a dumb game for myself? Yes. Does that mean I think everyone has to think it's a bad game? No. But I also don't think people need to go 'IT'S NOT FOR EVERYONE'. It's okay to say something sucks, subjectively, even if it might be really good for people. I get the whole 'there's a distinction between something being bad and not for you', but like...to most people, the distinction doesn't matter, and it's not hard to get that they mean the same thing to them.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
He's not trying to climb at 70 degrees angles because he doesn't know better, he's trying to show off that you can't. For me, that's a dealbreaker. I don't want to have to consider terrain or be methodical, that's fucking boring.
But it really isn't.

That's the thing: you don't actually know because you haven't tried it. And DS is a game that you *really* need to try. It can't really be emphasized enough.

Using a video tailor-made to be as dishonest and intentionally misleading about the actual experience as your evidence that a game isn't for you is a mistake that might rob you of what would have otherwise been a game that you really enjoyed. Because it convinced you to not even try a game that is on most short lists for GoTY. It's not on those lists by accident.

And yes, you *can* climb 70-degree angles, BTW. Not that it matters, as it appears you already had your mind made up and you'd admit as such if you were being honest.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Eh, I mean, I get where you're coming from but that's sort of what turns me off about Death Stranding.

He's not trying to climb at 70 degrees angles because he doesn't know better, he's trying to show off that you can't. For me, that's a dealbreaker. I don't want to have to consider terrain or be methodical, that's fucking boring. I wanna yeet myself at 200 mph up a sheer cliff face. The most important things to me in games are speed, momentum, and energy, which it just feels like DS isn't made for.

Does that mean I think it's a dumb game for myself? Yes. Does that mean I think everyone has to think it's a bad game? No. But I also don't think people need to go 'IT'S NOT FOR EVERYONE'. It's okay to say something sucks, subjectively, even if it might be really good for people. I get the whole 'there's a distinction between something being bad and not for you', but like...to most people, the distinction doesn't matter, and it's not hard to get that they mean the same thing to them.
But that's not what he's doing in this review. If he doesn't want something methodical like this that's fine and even then he can judge it on its own merits. But it's extremely disingenuous to completely misrepresent something. The way the game is displayed on his review it looks punishingly obtuse; and it really isn't.

What would have been more sincere was explaining why the game in actuality isn't enjoyable for him. But that isn't what he does. And dunkey absolutely wants this review to be taken seriously, which is another problem.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I'm done with resetera. I'm definitely not done with video games, I end up playing 10-20 new games every year, that will probably never change. But this game really made me realize I no longer give a shit about anything you guys have to say. It made me realize that video game reviewers mean nothing to me anymore. For so long have I been a child, now I can look into the mirror and truly see a woman looking back at me. I no longer put any stock into the opinions or thoughts of people on the internet, from now on, I trust myself and those I consider closest to me in real life.

This is probably the single best game I've played this entire generation. It's one of the funnest games I've played in years. I've played all of your favourite games. I'm probably better at most of them than most of you guys are, I've played literally hundreds of video games released this decade of all sorts of different genres and styles.

There are a few of you guys out there who are alright, keep on keeping on. But eventually you guys too will realize you're like me: you truly fucking love video games with all your heart, it's probably impossible to change that about yourself. And you'll realize your posting on a forum full of complete morons who don't even play video games, they just enjoy shitposting about them. These are people who are essentially broken on the inside and have likely lost most of their ability to enjoy things. The type of people who complain about stagnation in the industry, and when arguably the most revolutionary game of the decade drops, they all gang up together to pretend that it isn't even a video game, when in reality Death Stranding is basically the most video gamey video game of all time.
We live in a society

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017

I can't really say I get what you're saying here. It sounds like you're suggesting that he intentionally made gameplay clips that don't match his experience for the point of exaggeration in order to make his point seem more real. But if he needed to do that doesn't that prove his points are intentionally hyperbolic? If you need to go out of your way to get the footage he does rather than playing normally, doesn't that mean everyone calling that out is entirely right in doing so?

People say "it's not for everyone" specifically because they know people like you, with no interest in what it has to offer, won't like it. They also know it's a well constructed package for what it does offer and the issue with what Dunkey did is that it presents the things the game is trying to do and doing well as negatives because instead of a walking sim he wants a f*** physics game. In which case "it's not for everyone (including me)" is the more honest answer than "Look at this bike not doing a thing a bike obviously wouldn't do. Game is bad"

Last edited:

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But it really isn't.

That's the thing: you don't actually know because you haven't tried it. And DS is a game that you *really* need to try. It can't really be emphasized enough.

Using a video tailor-made to be as dishonest and intentionally misleading about the actual experience as your evidence that a game isn't for you is a mistake that might rob you of what would have otherwise been a game that you really enjoyed. Because it convinced you to not even try a game that is on most short lists for GoTY. It's not on those lists by accident.

And yes, you *can* climb 70-degree angles, BTW. Not that it matters, as it appears you already had your mind made up and you'd admit as such if you were being honest.

Well yeah, I made up my mind as soon as I found out what the game was about. I haven't been shy about admitting that. The thing is, this 'you NEED to try it' shit is aggravating. No, I don't. I get that you like the game, but acting like you, a stranger on an internet forum, know better than me about what I will and won't like is EXTREMELY obnoxious and I am fairly sure it's stuff like that that partially makes people so hard on the game.

Just relax. Recommend it to people who are on the fence or seem interested, but leave people who are explicitly not interested alone. Stop trying to convince us. It's arrogant, condescending, and irritating.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But that's not what he's doing in this review. If he doesn't want something methodical like this that's fine and even then he can judge it on its own merits. But it's extremely disingenuous to completely misrepresent something. The way the game is displayed on his review it looks punishingly obtuse; and it really isn't.

What would have been more sincere was explaining why the game in actuality isn't enjoyable for him. But that isn't what he does. And dunkey absolutely wants this review to be taken seriously, which is another problem.

I mean, sure, but that's definitely what he's doing. He's disingenuous all the time, it just only gets shit on here when it's a game ERA won't stop fellating. Barely anyone kicked up this much of a kerfuffle when he went out of his way to break and misrepresent Assassin's Creed Origins.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Well yeah, I made up my mind as soon as I found out what the game was about. I haven't been shy about admitting that. The thing is, this 'you NEED to try it' shit is aggravating. No, I don't. I get that you like the game, but acting like you, a stranger on an internet forum, know better than me about what I will and won't like is EXTREMELY obnoxious and I am fairly sure it's stuff like that that partially makes people so hard on the game.

Just relax. Recommend it to people who are on the fence or seem interested, but leave people who are explicitly not interested alone. Stop trying to convince us. It's arrogant, condescending, and irritating.
This. My buddy bugged me over and over and over and over and over again to give it a try. So I played a couple of hours, and he was insistent that it "wasn't enough" to truly enjoy it. Played a couple more hours while we drank beers and just hung out. Needless to say that he was disappointed when the game was giving me about as much (dis)satisfaction as I thought it would based on trailers and Twitch footage. It's perfectly fine & acceptable to be sold on pre-release footage, but if (heaven forbid) you're turned off by footage of a game, people play the "well you didn't play it!" card.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I mean, sure, but that's definitely what he's doing. He's disingenuous all the time, it just only gets shit on here when it's a game ERA won't stop fellating. Barely anyone kicked up this much of a kerfuffle when he went out of his way to break and misrepresent Assassin's Creed Origins.

I'm sure if you take a quick gander at the Dunkey thread for that review you'll find people making the same complaints. He doesn't always do this, even with games he doesn't like.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure if you take a quick gander at the Dunkey thread for that review you'll find people making the same complaints. He doesn't always do this, even with games he doesn't like.

Eh, fair enough. I know some people did, but not to the level of outrage this thread's showing. That said you're right some people took issue and he doesn't always do it, but he does when a game personally offends him, which DS definitely did. He hates that the game exists because he wanted another MGS-like experience. He's going to be extra-brutal on it because he sees it as what Kojima did instead of making a game he likes.

Is that fair or good journalism? No. But it's fucking Dunkey, so, no surprise.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Eh, fair enough. I know some people did, but not to the level of outrage this thread's showing. That said you're right some people took issue and he doesn't always do it, but he does when a game personally offends him, which DS definitely did. He hates that the game exists because he wanted another MGS-like experience. He's going to be extra-brutal on it because he sees it as what Kojima did instead of making a game he likes.

Is that fair or good journalism? No. But it's fucking Dunkey, so, no surprise.

well part of it is because in that review he only exaggerates the glitches of the game. Most other criticism is fair. In this review it's disingenuous from top to bottom.

Critiquing games isn't journalism and Dunkey absolutely isn't a journalist. But in cases like this, defense of his analyses ring hollow since he has more than one video calling out game reviewers for doing the same thing he's doing here.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well part of it is because in that review he only exaggerates the glitches of the game. Most other criticism is fair. In this review it's disingenuous from top to bottom.

Critiquing games isn't journalism and Dunkey absolutely isn't a journalist. But in cases like this, defense of his analyses ring hollow since he has more than one video calling out game reviewers for doing the same thing he's doing here.

Sure, I can agree with that. I can be disinterested in Death Stranding for reasons I'm confident in without him misrepresenting the game, and I empathize with people frustrated by the way he portrays things.

That said, ultimately, I'm a proponent of the idea that anyone who's swayed by this video to not give the game a chance was never going to anyways and just wanted to feel more justified, so...no big loss? Nobody convinced by this video was ever actually going to try the game, so I don't think the fans of DS need to worry that much about Dunkey damaging its reputation or something.

I already knew I wasn't interested because I only like fast, invigorating games, not methodical or grim ones. It's the same reason I hate stuff like BOTW, Dark Souls, The Last Of Us, and Red Dead Redemption 2. I can acknowledge they're by many accounts amazing games, but I hate them, and when you hate something, having people sing its praises is inherently obnoxious.

Is that fair or mature? No, but it's human nature. You seek out people who share your beliefs and develop a tribal, primordial dislike for people who don't. If you're an ethical adult, you let civility supercede that dislike and you aren't a dick about it, but feigning that it isn't there is disingenuous.

I don't go into threads about those games, because that feels like the most mature way to handle it. Ignore thread, move on. But I came in here out of morbid curiosity to see why a Dunkey video thread was nearing thirty fucking pages, and it's a little crazy to me how much the discourse (generous term) has spiraled. Should I have even visited this thread, knowing I don't like Death Stranding? Probably not. But that's on me, which I can admit.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Sure, I can agree with that. I can be disinterested in Death Stranding for reasons I'm confident in without him misrepresenting the game, and I empathize with people frustrated by the way he portrays things.

That said, ultimately, I'm a proponent of the idea that anyone who's swayed by this video to not give the game a chance was never going to anyways and just wanted to feel more justified, so...no big loss?

I already knew I wasn't interested because I only like fast, invigorating games, not methodical or grim ones. It's the same reason I hate stuff like BOTW, Dark Souls, The Last Of Us, and Red Dead Redemption 2. I can acknowledge they're by many accounts amazing games, but I hate them, and when you hate something, having people sing its praises is inherently obnoxious.

Is that fair or mature? No, but it's human nature. You seek out people who share your beliefs and develop a tribal, primordial dislike for people who don't. If you're an ethical adult, you let civility supercede that dislike and you aren't a dick about it, but feigning that it isn't there is disingenuous.

I don't go into threads about those games, because that feels like the most mature way to handle it. Ignore thread, move on. But I came in here out of morbid curiosity to see why a Dunkey video thread was nearing thirty fucking pages, and it's a little crazy to me how much the discourse (generous term) has spiraled.
Yea that's fair.

That said, if you find yourself curious to see if the game is worth playing through *for you* with an opinion based on your own experiences and not someone else's thoughts or simple spectating, just rent the game and see what you think. You can rent it from Redbox if you're in the US for like $6 for 3 days and beat it in a weekend (by skipping all of the generally unnecessary side quests), then form your own thoughts, likes and dislikes. That's what I did. I went from having your opinion based on all the same shit you're citing to it being on my list for GoTY after spending a weekend with it.

There is an incredible amount of dishonest commentary about this game. But players tend to figure that out when they actually play it for themselves. If at that point it's not for them, cool. But trying to figure that out by watching other people play and goofy shit like this video...this is how people miss out on experiences that they may have loved.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

That said, ultimately, I'm a proponent of the idea that anyone who's swayed by this video to not give the game a chance was never going to anyways and just wanted to feel more justified, so...no big loss? Nobody convinced by this video was ever actually going to try the game, so I don't think the fans of DS need to worry that much about Dunkey damaging its reputation or something.

I don't go into threads about those games, because that feels like the most mature way to handle it. Ignore thread, move on. But I came in here out of morbid curiosity to see why a Dunkey video thread was nearing thirty fucking pages, and it's a little crazy to me how much the discourse (generous term) has spiraled. Should I have even visited this thread, knowing I don't like Death Stranding? Probably not. But that's on me, which I can admit.

oh dude I'm not telling you the way that you approach games is wrong or that your disinterest in DS is wrong. That's perfectly fair. I look at gameplay of Jedi Fallen Order and have 0 interest in that game in spite of what is being said about it.

Ultimately it's all subjective and no one knows your tastes better than you. I'm also not here to tell you that you need to play DS because you haven't liked what you've seen.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea that's fair.

That said, if you find yourself curious to see if the game is worth playing through *for you* with an opinion based on your own experiences and not someone else's thoughts or simple spectating, just rent the game and see what you think. You can rent it from Redbox if you're in the US for like $6 and beat it in a weekend (by skipping all of the generally unnecessary side quests), then form your own thoughts, likes and dislikes. That's what I did. I went from having your opinion based on all the same shit you're citing to it being on my list for GoTY after spending a weekend with it.

I really do appreciate your intent here, and I apologize if I seemed harsh earlier. Like I said, I'm a little irritable when people try to recommend me stuff I already said I'm not into, but I know you were doing it in good faith and I want to reciprocate.

My PS4's broken and I don't really have plans to get it fixed because I only played a few games on it, but I was looking around at DS stuff because I play on PC primarily and wanted to see if I'd try it when it comes out. I might, still, just out of curiosity when it's like $5-10.

But in my case at least, I like where your head's at, but 'try it out for $5' isn't really an option because I'm a PC gamer, so unless it winds up on Gamepass, I just have to wait for the eventual steam discount.

For what it's worth, I'm not dismissing the game outright. I'm relatively confident I won't like it, but I've bought games before I knew I'd hate, and I was right, purely because I thought they had intrinsic value as something to have completed. Maybe that'll happen with DS, but not for full price.

oh dude I'm not telling you the way that you approach games is wrong or that your disinterest in DS is wrong. That's perfectly fair. I look at gameplay of Jedi Fallen Order and have 0 interest in that game in spite of what is being said about it.

Ultimately it's all subjective and no one knows your tastes better than you. I'm also not here to tell you that you need to play DS because you haven't liked what you've seen.

Yeah, totally fair. I've come around on what you're saying, you've shown me Dunkey is needlessly disingenuous in the video. I'm not super convinced that it really matters, because I still firmly believe anyone who watches this and goes 'haha yeah' never was gonna try the game regardless, but it's still not really right of him to do.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't even recommend people who ARE interested in Fallen Order play it yet. That game needs like three or four more patches before it gets to where it needs to be.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
I'm done with resetera. I'm definitely not done with video games, I end up playing 10-20 new games every year, that will probably never change. But this game really made me realize I no longer give a shit about anything you guys have to say. It made me realize that video game reviewers mean nothing to me anymore. For so long have I been a child, now I can look into the mirror and truly see a woman looking back at me. I no longer put any stock into the opinions or thoughts of people on the internet, from now on, I trust myself and those I consider closest to me in real life.

This is probably the single best game I've played this entire generation. It's one of the funnest games I've played in years. I've played all of your favourite games. I'm probably better at most of them than most of you guys are, I've played literally hundreds of video games released this decade of all sorts of different genres and styles.

There are a few of you guys out there who are alright, keep on keeping on. But eventually you guys too will realize you're like me: you truly fucking love video games with all your heart, it's probably impossible to change that about yourself. And you'll realize your posting on a forum full of complete morons who don't even play video games, they just enjoy shitposting about them. These are people who are essentially broken on the inside and have likely lost most of their ability to enjoy things. The type of people who complain about stagnation in the industry, and when arguably the most revolutionary game of the decade drops, they all gang up together to pretend that it isn't even a video game, when in reality Death Stranding is basically the most video gamey video game of all time.
That's embarrassing

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On console maybe. Isn't the PC version fine?

I have the PC version and it's fine, at least on an SSD. I hear load times are bad on an HDD but haven't had any issues. I know Lashley (I don't know how to link usernames) had a ton of crashes on the PC version though I couldn't tell you why. None on my end.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I have the PC version and it's fine, at least on an SSD. I hear load times are bad on an HDD but haven't had any issues. I know Lashley (I don't know how to link usernames) had a ton of crashes on the PC version though I couldn't tell you why. None on my end.

Its still probably something I'll check out for cheap when I don't have other priories. I love Respawn but everything I've watched about the game just hasn't done it for me

Performance-wise, sure. Design-wise/polish-wise...no. It came out about three months too early so it would beat Rise of Skywalker to market and it shows.

Gotta get that holiday quarter money

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its still probably something I'll check out for cheap when I don't have other priories. I love Respawn but everything I've watched about the game just hasn't done it for me

Gotta get that holiday quarter money

Oh, totally. TBH I dunno if I'd pay $60 for it, I got it on Origin Premier, but I like it. A bit janky though, so if you're anal about polish, it'll probably piss you off. I count ELEX among my top games of the generation, so it doesn't bug me too much.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Oh, totally. TBH I dunno if I'd pay $60 for it, I got it on Origin Premier, but I like it. A bit janky though, so if you're anal about polish, it'll probably piss you off. I count ELEX among my top games of the generation, so it doesn't bug me too much.

Im definitely a soul over polish person so elex has always intrigued me

I really, really want to like it. The concept is fine, the idea behind it is sound, but there's just so many design flaws that scar the experience.

It just looks so generic to me. Like a melting pot of 4-5 already existing games with Star Wars window dressing

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im definitely a soul over polish person so elex has always intrigued me

It just looks so generic to me. Like a melting pot of 4-5 already existing games with Star Wars window dressing

I can't recommend ELEX enough, it's like someone took Morrowind and Fallout and smashed them together, doubled the jank, and went "Needs some Mass Effect" and threw that in there too.

As for Fallen Order, I definitely wouldn't call the game original. It's Sekiro-lite combat with Darksiders puzzles/platforming and a lot of cutscenes. I'd say its value is highly dependent on how badly you've actively lusted after a single-player Star Wars ARPG. If it's a lot, you'll probably enjoy all the fanservice and the lightsaber stuff and won't care how much it lifts from other titles.

If not, it probably won't do anything for you because you'll just notice how hard it rips off other games.

That said, you can get some pretty sick stuff going, non-spoilery example:

If that gif does nothing for you I can almost guarantee you'll hate the game.

[Last I'll say on the matter, since this is supposed to be a DS thread.]

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Unfair reflection of the gameplay from my experience, I tripped and dropped cargo about 3 times in over 50 hours of gameplay. If anything managing cargo is too easy.

He's right about the bosses and dialogue though no argument here.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone: Valid criticism towards Death Stranding talking about the many flaws the game has.
ERA: Nah, it's GOTY. 10/10

The biggest offender to me is how the game dont respect at all your time. The many times you are prisioner of some stupid cutscenes that doens't bring anything relevant to the table just to push the SKIP buttom and getting on another one... and on another one... it's ridiculous. Also, what was that credits scene?!?! It was borderline offensive. It's even ridiculous I would need to specify which credits I am talking about because you know, just one or two are not enough. Not to talk about the lack of challenge at all, the bad physics from the vehicles, how trivial the game can be once you unlock new traversal options (I really think the best chapters are the first ones), the nonsensical narrative and dialogue and the bad pacing of the game: the way the story is convulated between the beginning and the end of the game makes the gameplay formula and the story itself more tedious to get by. And don't get me started on that ridiculous last fight (breaking the 4th wall int he worst possible way).

It's not because the game is different that I HATED it, it's because I just believe that the game is BAD. Something can be different and good the same way something can be different and bad. From my experience with DS, it's the later.
Yep, this is exactly my experience with the game. As some moments were great for me, I wouldn't call it bad, I think the game is mediocre through and through. Of course I didn't hate it, I think my time with the game has some good moments and value, but not enough to consider it good.

But TBH I have been discussing all the points you explained in the Review thread/OT andI have received mostly good responses, regardless of the other user's opinion on the matter. I know there's all this "90% of the people who played it liked it", "10/10 GOTY", but at the end these comments are as useless as "the game is crap" so let's better ignore them.

I think these two posts encompass my thoughts entirely on the game and the reactions in any DS threads/discussions that are being had. You two said it better than I could.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

I missed this post but this is like the new "none of you understand Japanese culture" post, this is incredible

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Are the people saying things like "Maybe you won't like this game but you absolutely HAVE to at least try it" on Sony's payroll or something? (This is facetious I'm not actually calling anyone a shill)

As far as I can tell there's no demo to this game, people are saying I should pay $60 to confirm whether this game is as boring as it looks? I don't even mind slow and deliberate games, RDR2 was my GOTY last year, but this game looks even more tedious with fetch quests being the main objectives and a less coherent story.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Are the people saying things like "Maybe you won't like this game but you absolutely HAVE to at least try it" on Sony's payroll or something?

As far as I can tell there's no demo to this game, people are saying I should pay $60 to confirm whether this game is as boring as it looks?
Go rent it for the weekend for less than the price of a McDonald's Happy Meal (https://www.redbox.com/games/death-stranding-ps4 or similar service based on where you are. Look to see what your options are, but a rental is only going to be a few bucks).

Go borrow it from a friend for free. I mean, I know Real Gamers(tm) don't have IRL friends, but if you do and one of them has the game then that's a great option.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Are the people saying things like "Maybe you won't like this game but you absolutely HAVE to at least try it" on Sony's payroll or something? (This is facetious I'm not actually calling anyone a shill)
This I noticed in lots of reviews, the "it's not for everyone but everyone should try it" argument is weak, it's easy to say by someone who got a free code for review purposes, but this is one of the few 60+ € games here in Barcelona region (official price is 70 €). On top of that, most of them say that "the first 15-20 hours are slow and not representative of the full game", which means that unless you are willing to play more than 10 hours every day a day during a weekend you'll need to rent it several times. But reviewers are this, never to be trusted and always ignoring that games cost real money to most people.
Go borrow it from a friend for free.
In my case, I'm the "friend" that bought the game as all my other friends were not that interested.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
This I noticed in lots of reviews, the "it's not for everyone but everyone should try it" argument is weak, it's easy to say by someone who got a free code for review purposes, but this is one of the few 60+ € games here in Barcelona region (official price is 70 €). On top of that, most of them say that "the first 15-20 hours are slow and not representative of the full game", which means that unless you are willing to play more than 10 hours every day a day during a weekend you'll need to rent it several times. But reviewers are this, never to be trusted and always ignoring that games cost real money to most people.

In my case, I'm the "friend" that bought the game as all my other friends were not that interested.
Really as far as renting goes...I mean....if you put 15 hours into the game over a weekend and emerged from that experience saying to yourself, "damnit I have to return it but I want to keep playing!",...I mean...maybe the game is indeed for you and you can just go ahead and buy it? lol

And if you don't want to keep playing, the experiment served its purpose: you tried the game for yourself and experienced more than enough of it to form your own opinion about whether you were liking what you were playing or not. That was the entire point of the suggestion, right? And just think! You could contribute to these sorts of conversations with your own perspective based on personal experience instead of someone else's.

The suggestion wasn't for you to necessarily get the experience in its entirety for $5, but to get enough of the experience to help you make a decision about whether to buy the game. Though you could certainly beat the game in about 30 hours if you hustled. That might be $10 worth of rental fees, but let's be honest: Most people aren't going to play the game after they finish the mainline story, and that's the experience you want out of a Kojima game anyway. Paying to rent it through completion may be the best way to experience the game for most players.

Paying ~$10-$12 over multiple rentals to get the full experience with the game is certainly better than paying your local official price of 70 €, right? And if you never plan on owning the game because you found that you didn't like it enough, you can just go to YT and watch all the cut-scenes to get the whole story. Done.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Though you could certainly beat the game in about 30 hours if you hustled.
Agreed, I completed it in 33 hours while doing some optional content.

Paying ~$10-$12 over multiple rentals to get the full experience with the game is certainly better than paying your local official price of 70 €, right?
Yes it is, but renting new games here is not that easy AFAIK, I'm not sure is even possible. You need to go and find some store (only a big chain was known to rent new games here, and they stopped doing it a few months ago), you need to be lucky that any of the limited copies is available... Maybe is easy for you americanos, but here rental is not that big of a thing.Thing is, this is the kind of game you want to experience during the first days as the community will be active then, but reviews (and in this case Spanish reviews) were recommending to play the game but most of them said that "it's not for everyone". Some of them even provided links to "cheap places to buy it". But this is an overall problem with reviews, not specific to DS, in this case is worse because the game was surrounded by mystery before release and lots of people were waiting for reviews to decide to buy it or not.