• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you enjoying Death Stranding?

• Yes its a great experience

Votes: 712 43.4%
  • No its a mess

Votes: 367 22.4%
  • I Have Mixed feelings

Votes: 207 12.6%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 354 21.6%

• Total voters

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would actually advise anyone who watches that review to watch the frametrap from last monday....The reviewer definitely explains his reasoning for an 8 out of ten...He thinks the game is a terrible mess, but a wonderful mess when it delivers that 10 percent brilliant moment for 90 percent pain and torture. he basically considers a 7 out of ten to be a really bad game....

so in other words, easy allies uses a 7 for poor, an 8 for decent...listening to frametrap and the guy seemed really off about the game tbh. It was strange.
That is not true at all.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"With that said its comical watching people treat this video as a serious issue to be upset about when no one watches dunkey for serious reviews, "

Looks up at thread with people doing just this.
Next time quote me so I can respond.

Also don't cut out more than half my post conceding the fact that this is an issue with people not familiar with what he does. Being ignorant about it doesn't change the fact that its still comical watching a video that is clearly hyperbolic beyond belief to prove his point, like all his videos are.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I would actually advise anyone who watches that review to watch the frametrap from last monday....The reviewer definitely explains his reasoning for an 8 out of ten...He thinks the game is a terrible mess, but a wonderful mess when it delivers that 10 percent brilliant moment for 90 percent pain and torture. he basically considers a 7 out of ten to be a really bad game....

so in other words, easy allies uses a 7 for poor, an 8 for decent...listening to frametrap and the guy seemed really off about the game tbh. It was strange.

I listened to Frame Trap and they all really liked it quite a bit.
Spoiler mode was even more positive.

Edit: Also Ben gave Fallout 76 a 2/10.

neonneongod

Feb 21, 2019
If you form a genuine opinion on a game based solely on a Dunkey video sight unseen....breh. You deserve the swill you'll end up playing.

Deleted member 57020

User requested account closure
Banned
May 25, 2019
Based on what I've seen of this game, the ~80 average score on OpenCritic is more than fair. It's technically well made with lots of interesting systems and high production value, but a person is paying $60 to to deal with 20+ hours of inventory management and transport missions, which most people would find repetitive if the story feels unengaging.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019

7 out of ten a really bad game? 8 out of 10 for a game thats 90% unfun? Sounds like an incoherent reviewer

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Based on what I've seen of this game, the ~80 average score is more than fair. it's technically well made with lots of interesting systems and high production value, but a person is paying $60 to to deal with 20+ hours of inventory management and transport missions, which most people would find repetitive if the story feels unengaging.
If you've not played it, it's impossible to tell if you'll think it elevates beyond that. Some of us thought the same as you, and now consider it 10/10 GotY/GotG.

7 out of ten a really bad game? 8 out of 10 for a game thats 90% unfun? Sounds like someones review that I wouldn't even care about
Maybe don't take the person's commentary of what the video says as gospel...

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why don't you outline some of those points you think people are missing or glossing over and maybe we could move on to discussing them? I'm interested to see what they are.

The story isn't good and what's there is just an exposition dump, I had to skip the cut scenes after a while.

The only reward you get for walking all this distance is just another exposition or one of a handful of holograms.

The climbing portions feel like the Skyrim mountain walking and it feels horrible and not well thought out.

The bosses flat out suck and the third person combat feels like an after thought.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The story isn't good and what's there is just an exposition dump, I had to skip the cut scenes after a while.
Fair enough, the story won't land for everyone.

The only reward you get for walking all this distance is just another exposition or one of a handful of holograms.
False: unlocks, upgrades, cosmetics and more bandwidth and materials to build with are all tangible rewards you gain from completing deliveries.

The climbing portions feel like the Skyrim mountain walking and it feels horrible and not well thought out.
You are not supposed to climb like that, the game GIVES you all the tools you need to do so. You're supposed to use them, not try to brute force past obstacles.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Fair enough, the story won't land for everyone.

False: unlocks, upgrades, cosmetics and more bandwidth and materials to build with are all tangible rewards you gain from completing deliveries.

You are not supposed to climb like that, the game GIVES you all the tools you need to do so. You're supposed to use them, not try to brute force past obstacles.

I don't consider materials to make the game less bad rewarding myself.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't consider materials to make the game less bad rewarding myself.
They allow you to build more... which is a huge point...

And what about unlocks like exo-skeletons, vehicles, ziplines, etc...?

Saying there is no reward is just false, the game piles rewards and unlocks and is full of cosmetic stuff that is more usually locked behind MTs...

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
The footage has some jokes but isn't *that* misleading. You're gonna skip repetitive cutscenes, You're gonna fall into water that you thought you could wade across, you're gonna get shit knocked off your back due to low hanging structures, you're gonna end up Skyriming around some steep cliffs and you're gonna get your bike stuck in rocky terrain.

I don't agree with the central conceit that gameplay needs to be F-U-N fun to be good, some of my favorite games have little to no traditional gameplay and Death Stranding is sincerely noteworthy and compelling for the atmosphere, traversal mechanics, progression and social components alone. I'm really enjoying my time with it, and I respect that the design incorporates low points that feed into the highs and the overall experience, but they still exist. And that's not even taking the writing into account, which is where the game truly falters and which Dunkey could have gone in much harder on.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
The video actually brings up a lot of interesting points but people are too upset that someone doesn't like this game they won't even listen

Sure, in as much as trying to drive up impossible terrain like someone with no sense is an interesting point.

For those coming in with the drive by's who apparently skipped the thread in the same way some people skipped the game but need to give their inout on the conversation: The issue is Dunkey making a review in which he goes out of his way to make the game look bad by doing everything he can wrong then presenting it as the expected state of the game for those who play it with even a minimum of skill and other people taking that seriously and basing their opinion of the game on it.

Also, notice Jim Sterling not getting this reaction. He flat out can't stand playing it and made that abundantly clear. So anyone with the stale take that people are "too upset that someone doesn't like this game they won't even listen" are more or less full of it at this point.

You're gonna fall into water that you thought you could wade across,....

Tap R1.
Red Bad.
This is all it takes to fully mitigate water issues.

...you're gonna end up Skyriming around some steep cliffs and you're gonna get your bike stuck in rocky terrain.

Look for better paths. Alternatively, ladders exist.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The footage has some jokes but isn't *that* misleading.

Yes it is.
You're gonna skip repetitive cutscenes
Plenty of us didn't...
You're gonna fall into water that you thought you could wade across

You will literally never do this if you actually scan the water and find a point that isn't red or has a huge yellow section... lol.

The game teaches you how to NOT fall foul here, if you do it's entirely on you.
you're gonna get shit knocked off your back due to low hanging structures

Never happened to me, once. Because... I looked out for low hanging structures and planned around them.
you're gonna end up Skyriming around some steep cliffs and you're gonna get your bike stuck in rocky terrain.

Only if you try to brute force across terrain that you're not supposed to by ignoring the tools that would get you across efficiently...

The game is very, very clear about what can be done and where.

If you do not find the above engaging, it is perfectly fine, but the statements you made are not true unless you ignore what the game teaches you.

I don't agree with the central conceit that gameplay needs to be F-U-N fun to be good, some of my favorite games have little to no traditional gameplay and Death Stranding is sincerely noteworthy and compelling for the atmosphere, traversal mechanics, progression and social components alone. I'm really enjoying my time with it, and I respect that the design incorporates low points to feed into the highs and the overall experience, but they still exist. And that's not even taking the writing into account, which is where the game truly falters and which Dunkey could have gone in much harder on.

And this is all subjective.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
(A subset of) Dunkey fans?

At least going by the youtube comments.
This has literally been pointed out happening in real time ITT over the last few pages, and some people still deny it?

Here's one example:

This has literally been pointed out happening in real time ITT over the last few pages, and some people still deny it?

Here's one example:
Holy
Fucking
Shit

This was the first I've ever seen of the game - no videos, screenshots, previews, threads, nothing - totally blank slate.

I cannot believe this is an actual thing. It's quite possibly the stupidest game I've seen in years. People are seriously calling this a "GOTY"? What in the ever-living fuck is going on here? It's made by the same person who created MSG? Is this some kind of "emperor has no clothes" moment? Am I taking crazy pills?

There are quite a few more...

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
If you do not find the above engaging, it is perfectly fine, but the statements you made are not true unless you ignore what the game teaches you.
Holy shit the defensiveness. I *do* find it engaging, I state as much in my next paragraph. It's all in the game, by design, and meant to frustrate until you become more observant and gain more abilities to overcome. It's still not misrepresentative to show it and explain how it frustrates. Hats off to you for never flowing downstream in a river while scrambling for your packages, which is actually a pretty cool in game scenario when it happens.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018

Oh okay, I thought he was referring to people in this thread. That would be strange. I guess there are some Dunkey fans somewhere on YT that have been living under a rock and their sole connection to the world are his videos.

It's almost a "strand channel" if you really think about it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit the defensiveness. I *do* find it engaging, I state as much in my next paragraph. It's all in the game, by design, and meant to frustrate until you become more observant and gain more abilities to overcome. It's still not misrepresentative to show it and explain how it frustrates. Hats off to you for never flowing downstream in a river while scrambling for your packages, which is actually a pretty cool in game scenario when it happens.
I was breaking down why you were making incorrect statements. That's not defensiveness. The irony is, your reaction is exactly that.

They were wrong because you will NOT do the things listed UNLESS you ignore what the game explicitly teaches you... the only reason you will get swept a way by a river is if you do not scan and plan your approach. It is literally impossible to be taken by surprise by this unless you DO NOT SCAN, lol.

The rest I wrote is also true.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not sure "meant to frustrate" makes sense as much as it gives you feedback that what you're doing is wrong the same as any other game. But in the end that's the point, you are doing it wrong. And as someone who has flowed down 2 or 3 rivers I can say that the reason was simple:

I didn't follow the simple rule: Press R1 > Red Bad.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I was breaking down why you were making incorrect statements. That's not defensiveness. The irony is, your reaction is exactly that.

They were wrong because you will NOT do the things listed UNLESS you ignore what the game explicitly teaches you... the only reason you will get swept a way by a river is if you do not scan and plan your approach. It is literally impossible to be taken by surprise by this unless you DO NOT SCAN, lol.

The rest I wrote is also true.
You have like, a hundred posts in this thread. That's defensiveness

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure "meant to frustrate" makes sense as much as it gives you feedback that what you're doing is wrong the same as any other game. But in the end that's the point, you are doing it wrong. And as someone who has flowed down 2 or 3 rivers I can say that the reason was simple:

I didn't follow the simple rule: Press R1 > Red Bad.
Bingo.

You have like, a hundred posts in this thread. That's defensiveness
No mate, I'm discussing a game I'm passionate about. Me breaking down why you made incorrect statements is not that. You're the only one being defensive out of the two of us.

The fact you cannot even counter and rush to ad hominem says it all.

Deleted member 57020

User requested account closure
Banned
May 25, 2019
If you've not played it, it's impossible to tell if you'll think it elevates beyond that. Some of us thought the same as you, and now consider it 10/10 GotY/GotG.
Sure, I understand, but it's still asking a significant time and cost investment out of people. I've played enough games to see where my interests lie, and definitely wouldn't consider this game as nearly as bad as the review suggests.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Bingo.

No mate, I'm discussing a game I'm passionate about. Me breaking down why you made incorrect statements is not that. You're the only one being defensive out of the two of us.

The fact you cannot even counter and rush to ad hominem says it all.
I'm not trying to get in an argument with someone who won't tolerate even mixed opinions on a game they're passionate about. I stand by everything I put in my post that you replied to and I don't think the footage was particularly misleading, as it was all part of my experience and I'm certainly not the only one. Only difference is I liked it as part of the overall design, so YMMV to those that see it as an instant turn-off.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, I understand, but it's still asking a significant time and cost investment out of people. I've played enough games to see where my interests lie, and definitely wouldn't consider this game as nearly as bad as the review suggests.
And, if you ever have any interest, browse the OT and see many of us who were in your exact position and found ourselves loving the game despite our initial thoughts and concerns.

This truly is a game you need to play to get, but of course no one's going to blame you if you'd rather go with games you feel better about. Time is precious!

I'm not trying to get in an argument with someone who won't tolerate even mixed opinions on a game they're passionate about. I stand by everything I put in my post that you replied to and I don't think the footage was particularly misleading, as it was all part of my experience and I'm certainly not the only one. Only difference is I liked it as part of the overall design, so YMMV to those that see it as an instant turn-off.
Then you didn't read the posts you say you counted or something... because I have shown I acknowledge the game's flaws and get why people don't like it etc... I don't know why people like you have to be so dishonest about these things, lol, it's all there in plain text... I am not resistant to critiquing this game, I have done it myself many times in the OT

What I am resistant to is bullshit.

And the fact is, most of the stuff you wrote in your post is flat out wrong... you will not be surprised by a river and be swept away... unless you don't scan. That is entirely on you. That goes for each of the other points you raised, the game shows you how to overcome them and the only reason you won't is if you ignore the tools.

Chudah

Apr 23, 2019

If something is impossible for me to know (or at least suspect) that I'll like unless I play it, then it's something that I'm not comfortable risking my money on purchasing, no matter how good or bad the reviews are. I'm sorry, but with so many great games out there, I need to be reasonably convinced that the enjoyment I get out of something will have been worth the $60.

FOMO has never been a problem for me either. I can wait out a huge discount, or just never play it. I do find it insulting that people keep telling others that they NEED to risk their hard-earned money on something there's a reasonable chance they wouldn't enjoy considering how divisive the game is, just to tell if they'll like it or not. Maybe some people are okay with gambling away their money and possibly hitting the jackpot, but I'm not.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Nope.

Most of this forum is US-based and have access to RedBox, where they can rent this game for an entire weekend for $6 or $7. I know because that's what I did. If not RedBox, Gamefly. EU Era members generally have access to their own rental services that will allow them to play the game for very little if they are skeptical.

I'd recommend looking at those options, renting the game, and forming your own opinion. Some games just can't be watched and appreciated. You have to experience them yourself to understand and appreciate the moment to moment decision-making required to be successful. This is *very much* one of those kinds of games.

/ / / /

Everyone who is skeptical but owns a PS4 really should find out if a method of renting the game is available near you. I'm serious: I would have never played this game if I hadn't been reminded that Redbox exists. I assumed the game wasn't good or that I wouldn't be "into it" like many of you did, and I wasn't going to drop $60 for the gamble. It ended up being comfortably my GoTY. If you're in the US, you've got $6 or $7. Go rent it, get the experience, and form your own opinion, free of all this biased shit.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
If something is impossible for me to know (or at least suspect) that I'll like unless I play it, then it's something that I'm not comfortable risking my money on purchasing, no matter how good or bad the reviews are. I'm sorry, but with so many great games out there, I need to be reasonably convinced that the enjoyment I get out of something will have been worth the $60.

FOMO has never been a problem for me either. I can wait out a huge discount, or just never play it. I do find it insulting that people keep telling others that they NEED to risk their hard-earned money on something there's a reasonable chance they wouldn't enjoy considering how divisive the game is, just to tell if they'll like it or not. Maybe some people are okay with gambling away their money and possibly hitting the jackpot, but I'm not.

I would say to find a less hyperbolic representation of what the game is, then take a dive if you think that will float your boat.

Edit: And yeah, rental exists.

Chudah

Apr 23, 2019
I would say to find a less hyperbolic representation of what the game is, then take a dive if you think that will float your boat.

Edit: And yeah, rental exists.

I don't do Redbox rentals, sorry. That requires me to have to deal with the frustration of a Walmart parking lot. And considering that's the only lot I've EVER gotten into an accident in (which wasn't my fault, btw), I refuse to go there anymore.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: not worth carrying this on, already covered it all. Anyone is free to read why your nonsense is just that. <3

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
I don't do Redbox rentals, sorry. That requires me to have to deal with the frustration of a Walmart parking lot. And considering that's the only lot I've EVER gotten into an accident in (which wasn't my fault, btw), I refuse to go there anymore.

Walgreens has them near me, but I don't really rent either so...

But that aside I do legitimately mean that finding reviews that are more analytical and less hyperbolic should be your decision maker.

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
The footage has some jokes but isn't *that* misleading. You're gonna skip repetitive cutscenes, You're gonna fall into water that you thought you could wade across, you're gonna get shit knocked off your back due to low hanging structures, you're gonna end up Skyriming around some steep cliffs and you're gonna get your bike stuck in rocky terrain.

I genuinely find moments like this one funny.

Like, we're talking about a game here where you can stack packages like a tower twice your height. What you describe as "the lows" of the gameplay, I think of how they can create moments I would not get in other games. The game starts out with a song titled "Don't Be So Serious" for a reason. This has always been Kojima's schtick in regards to gameplay. If people can't handle that kind of quirkiness, then obviously this game is going to bother them.