• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you enjoying Death Stranding?

• Yes its a great experience

Votes: 712 43.4%
  • No its a mess

Votes: 367 22.4%
  • I Have Mixed feelings

Votes: 207 12.6%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 354 21.6%

• Total voters

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
This is ridiculous. You should always be willing to try things you don't usually like. So what if you tend not to like westerns? Who's to say RDR might not change your mind or be something special? This line of thinking is everywhere these days and it seems like people just want everyone to stay in their comfort zones. If you don't already have an affinity for something then you shouldn't play it? That's silly.
No, the point is that if you don't like westerns and you play RDR and don't like it, then it's probably not on the game and more on you not liking westerns.

It may change your mind, but it may not and it's not a fault of the game if it doesn't.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Of course. As I said before, my take on his "comedic" falls are that the game bored him and he fucked around in it. That doesn't take away his points, though, about game being boring (obviously, for him, not universally). It's similar to what Jim Sterling does in his Jimpressions, IMO.

Jim's video I can understand, Dunkey on the other hand should probably have stuck to a typical comedy video rather than a dunkview if he was just going to make a dishonest representation of gameplay and slap a number on it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Jim's video I can understand, Dunkey on the other hand should probably have stuck to a typical comedy video rather than a dunkview if he was just going to make a dishonest representation of gameplay and slap a number on it.
Exactly this. Jim's video is perfectly reasonable and I can understand his issues.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Of course. As I said before, my take on his "comedic" falls are that the game bored him and he fucked around in it. That doesn't take away his points, though, about game being boring (obviously, for him, not universally). It's similar to what Jim Sterling does in his Jimpressions, IMO.
Ah, that makes a little more sense I guess, but do you see how juxtaposing his words with the images in the manner he does might give a misleading picture of what interacting with the game ACTUALLY is like?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, that makes a little more sense I guess, but do you see how juxtaposing his words with the images in the manner he does might give a misleading picture of what interacting with the game ACTUALLY is like?
He is being very misleading and no attempts to jostle it around into "valid critique" changes this. And it's perfectly okay to do that, his videos can be hilarious. The issue is with people lending validity to obvious hyperbolic mishandling of a game to paint it as something it is not.

This can be acknowledged as being true while at he same time acknowledging that, underneath the hyperbole, Dunky has valid concerns about the game. The latter, however, does not validate the former.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018

Yeah, that's fair. If people latch onto him falling from cliffs, then I totally get how they can feel he did the game dirty.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
No, the point is that if you don't like westerns and you play RDR and don't like it, then it's probably not on the game and more on you not liking westerns.

It may change your mind, but it may not and it's not a fault of the game if it doesn't.
That doesn't really make any sense. If you end up liking it then it's on the game but if you don't then it's on you? So long as you can prove that the things you dislike about westerns do not have to be inherent to the genre (not every western has to have to take place in a desert) then it's perfectly valid to place the blame on the game.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Yeah, that's fair. If people latch onto him falling from cliffs, then I totally get how they can feel he did the game dirty.
My issue is not that he jokes around with and fucks with the mechanics to try to break it, but more seeing some of the response and noticing that there is a decent portion of people that are taking his criticism at face value with what he is doing on screen. He doesn't make any sort of effort to make it clear that that is what he is doing, and that it isn't representative of the normal gameplay and mechanics.

It's presented in a manner that seems intentionally misleading and inflammatory. I think its totally valid, that he possibly didn't find the ACTUAL mechanics engaging.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
That doesn't really make any sense. If you end up liking it then it's on the game but if you don't then it's on you? So long as you can prove that the things you dislike about westerns do not have to be inherent to the genre (not every western has to have to take place in a desert) then it's perfectly valid to place the blame on the game.
That's not what I said at all but ok.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
while he can usually get a laugh or 2 from me, this's just seriously try too hard, even for him. it's more of a meta-video satirizing his own style than anything else...

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I laughed the entire video. I think his reviews do reflect his actual personal opinions and that this is not a joke.

But based on the review, should it be assumed that he's being disingenuous about the gameplay experience?

Does this also apply to the story as well? (the examples provided of the dialogue does not look to great either).

I don't really have a huge interest in this game, but in case I'm looking for something different in the future, I'd like to have an idea on what the game can offer, if you play it the way it's intended to play (properly using mechanics)

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I laughed the entire video. I think his reviews do reflect his actual personal opinions and that this is not a joke.

But based on the review, should it be assumed that he's being disingenuous about the gameplay experience?

Does this also apply to the story as well? (the examples provided of the dialogue does not look to great either).

I don't really have a huge interest in this game, but in case I'm looking for something different in the future, I'd like to have an idea on what the game can offer, if you play it the way it's intended to play (properly using mechanics)
This video is intentionally playing badly to make the game look janky af, when the game explicitly teaches you how to handle certain terrain and is veey consistent regarding this.

It amounts to the same thing as trying to button bash in darksouls and saying it's a bad game because you die when you do.

Dunky might have some valid critiques, the game has flaws and not everyone will find its deep and precise traversal mechanics engaging, but his misleading hyperbolic misrepresentation is not valuable when considering if you will enjoy the game.

There are plenty of reviews that honestly reflect the authors' issues with the gameplay, this is not one of them.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
This video is intentionally playing badly to make the game look janky af, when the game explicitly teaches you how to handle certain terrain and is veey consistent regarding this.

It amounts to the same thing as trying to button bash in darksouls and saying it's a bad game because you die when you do.

Dunky might have some valid critiques, the game has flaws and not everyone will find its deep and precise traversal mechanics engaging, but his misleading hyperbolic misrepresentation is not valuable when considering if you will enjoy the game.

There are plenty of reviews that honestly reflect the authors' issues with the gameplay, this is not one of them.

This is a shame because there are some videos of his that enjoyed (non-reviews). Based on this, I won't bother with any of his review videos because when you're intentionally this misleading then there aren't many good reasons to trust other videos when it comes to gameplay, which the fucking more important aspect of playing a video game...

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Trolling
Holy
Fucking
Shit

This was the first I've ever seen of the game - no videos, screenshots, previews, threads, nothing - totally blank slate.

I cannot believe this is an actual thing. It's quite possibly the stupidest game I've seen in years. People are seriously calling this a "GOTY"? What in the ever-living fuck is going on here? It's made by the same person who created MSG? Is this some kind of "emperor has no clothes" moment? Am I taking crazy pills?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This is a shame because there are some videos of his that enjoyed (non-reviews). Based on this, I won't bother with any of his review videos because when you're intentionally this misleading then there aren't many good reasons to trust other videos when it comes to gameplay, which the fucking more important aspect of playing a video game...
His videos are fun. Watch them knowing his critiques are valid but very, VERY hammed up for lols.

If you watch other critical video reviews, you will notice how his concerns can translate to fairer representation.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Holy
Fucking
Shit

This was the first I've ever seen of the game - no videos, screenshots, previews, threads, nothing - totally blank slate.

I cannot believe this is an actual thing. It's quite possibly the stupidest game I've seen in years. People are seriously calling this a "GOTY"? What in the ever-living fuck is going on here? It's made by the same person who created MSG? Is this some kind of "emperor has no clothes" moment? Am I taking crazy pills?
This. Video. Is. Intentionally. Playing. Badly. For. Lols.

It is NOT honest representation.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy
Fucking
Shit

No. But you should be.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy
Fucking
Shit

You based your entire opinion of something you know nothing about on one short video which if not being outright disingenuous is purposefully framing things as poorly as possible for laughs. So you tell us. To quote someone who is taking crazy pills, Holy Fucking Shit.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
"Lol at people saying this video perpetuates hyperbole and misrepresentation"

*looks up*

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Holy
Fucking
Shit

You can't really argue he didn't do the game wrong when we have people actually taking his video at face value.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holy
Fucking
Shit

You're basing your first impressions on a Dunkey video?

If you want to get an actual idea of the game then watch an actual review instead of a meme YouTuber.

Oct 26, 2017
Okay so haven't played Death Stranding.

But how deep is the moment to moment gameplay? Because a lot of it seems like just holding L2 and R2 and walking. There doesn't seem to be a lot of moment to moment options in movement compared to what I expected at like e3 2018.

JaxiPup

Dec 23, 2017
Massachusetts
Little dissapointed in dunk on this one. Its kinda tantamount to playing a shooter with a high dpi gaming mouse and the sensitivity maxed, then calling it 'hard to aim'. Certainly a divisive game, but fighting against the game's systems and blaming the game doesn't make great games criticism.

It's also most certainly walking the line between "done for laughs" and "serious critique", but you can tell dunkey dislikes the game, and the footage on display just shows someone, intentionally or not, refusing to play within the game's constraints.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Kojima defense force is strong in this thread, I'll start it myself this weekend to make my own mind but the division is real, can't wait for the GOTY talks.

Oct 27, 2017
OKC
The Kojima defense force is strong in this thread, I'll start it myself this weekend to make my own mind but the division is real, can't wait for the GOTY talks.

well, a good portion of this thread is just drive-by "i haven't played the game but wow this looks like trash" so it makes sense for people who liked it to address that.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Please link me your incredible death stranding montages that are supposedly "goty" material.
No thanks. Play it and figure it out for yourself.

GotG for me.

No it's not.

The "counter to dishonest representation of this game" is strong ITT.

I grantee you, ALL of us countering this understand the game has flaws, and there are tonnes of valid critiques that have been made elsewhere. Some of us just think it amounts to more than the sum.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sure he is taking the piss a bit with the traversal footage but I don't doubt he means it regarding his personal experience of the game and probably just got really pissed off with it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Sure he is taking the piss a bit with the traversal footage but I don't doubt he means it regarding his personal experience of the game and probably just got really pissed off with it.
Doesn't change the fact the footage is misleading, and some people ITT are taking it as honest representation.

Oct 26, 2017
You can't really argue he didn't do the game wrong when we have people actually taking his video at face value.
That falls more on people not realizing Dunkey's shtick than anything else. He tends to do this for games he's not particularly fond of, like Octopath Traveler or Splatoon. A better way for folk to determine whether or not this game will be for them is to either rent the game or to watch various reviews from trusted sources on the game. Dunkey's videos are more for laughs than anything else, even if, in this case, it does represent his honest thoughts about the game

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"I haven't played this game but for some reason I assume anyone defending it is a fanboy." I wouldn't rate Kojima that highly I'm just not a fan of disingenuous bullshit.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

But how deep is the moment to moment gameplay? Because a lot of it seems like just holding L2 and R2 and walking. There doesn't seem to be a lot of moment to moment options in movement compared to what I expected at like e3 2018.

That's it. I think how shallow that part of the game is is what surprised me the most but I'm not sure I would have wanted something with more depth when that's what you do for 40+ hours. It's almost impossible to fall if you hold down L2+R2, might even be impossible because I never fell doing that. You can also tap circle to crouch if you think you'll fall and it automatically balances you out.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is this real? I think this is the exact thing Kojima was trying to get at with his fly above comment.
What he was trying to get at is his work is beyond criticism and used a bunch of bullshit about American culture to emphasize that point. Lets stop trying to restructure every stupid comment made by him into the most charitable interpretation possible and call it for what it is.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The video actually brings up a lot of interesting points but people are too upset that someone doesn't like this game they won't even listen

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm gonna start the game this weekend but I'm pretty sure I'll love it. Also, this was hilarious. Doesn't diminish my hype to play at all. Don't ever change Dunkey.

For those of you watching this as your very first taste of DS... you should also check out reviews elsewhere. Not saying don't watch this, cuz it's pretty damn funny. But it's worth getting the opinions of others that liked the game.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

That's it. I think how shallow that part of the game is is what surprised me the most but I'm not sure I would have wanted something with more depth when that's what you do for 40+ hours. It's almost impossible to fall if you hold down L2+R2.
That is not it, at all...

L2+R2 is used to hunker down and grab your straps with both hands. This puts you into a balanced stance where you can run slower than you can normally, but it allows you to cross terrain at a speed you couldn't normally. You're supposed to swtich between this, full speed, and crouch to make the most of your efficiency. The way you do this is to stay focused and assess the terrain as you go, much like you need to stay focused and assess enemies in combat games.

However, in the balanced stance you still move slowly relatively. And you will still fall if you try to run over certain terrain. ESPECIALLY if you are fully loaded, which is the point... you will almost always be fully loaded.

The game allows you to scan terrain, which is then marked to show you what effect it will have if you try to run on it. You can, if you want, just hold L2+R2 and make it over a lot of terrain... but you will need to adjust your speed as you do or you will fall (again, especially if fully loaded). And we could compare this to a games that have sprint and other more advanced movement options. You don't have to use the latter, but you WILL move much slower if you ignore them.

And certain terrain you simply cannot climb, like sheer cliff faces. And certain rivers you cannot cross or you will be instantly washed away. And certain terrain will take you hours to navigate across just hunkering down and moving slowly.

So the game gradually introduces more and more mechanics for you to use to plan and create the most effcient path possible. Remember, this is a game about delivering as much as you can as quickly as you can. And the only way to do this well is to utilize the tools:

Ladders, ropes, bridges, roads, ziplines...

Exo-skeletons that allow you run faster, or carry more, or move over steep terrain at less staminia cost.

Floating carriers that you pull behind you but you cannot use zip lines or vehicles while using...

You need to check the map and plan your course: will there be rivers I need cross? Will there be steep cliffs? Can I just go around this MULE camp or should I figure an efficient way through? Kill BTs or stealth past... etc...

How much bandwidth do I have to build with? Would it be best used for a bridge to allow me to very quickly cross this chasm... or should I climb down and up with ropes and ladders? Or maybe hunt for a spit I can lay a ladder across instead?

Again, bandwidth... if I am making a trek through timefall, is it better for make a timefall shelter halfway, or make use of repair sprays? Should I place a battery here, or do I have enough battery to make it to that player built one a few hundred metres away?

And there is much more. The game is a sandbox with deep mechanics that you need to engage with to make your deliveries as efficient as you can.

And this is before we even really get into the multiplayer aspects, which really bring the game world to life. Seeing your builds obtain likes because a player has made use of your build to the point they want to give you with thanks is so rewarding. And finding a clutch build from someone else when you're in a bind is a fantastic feeling. The sense of community this game creates is really strong, and you never seven see another player in the game world...

You COULD slowly walk and ignore mechanics, but I also COULD just use basic attacks in DMCV and slowly chip away at bosses. Neither is optimal, and I would argue neither is the most fun you could have either.

This game has the depth of MGSV's combat translated to traversal and route planning. It is perfectly okay to say that is not for you,but to deny it has depth is just false.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
lmao

gonna be good when this game really does start winning GOTY awards. Can't wait
That's the scary part. I see this thread and the discourse going on within it over a goofy review from a comedic YouTuber, I can only imagine the blow ups when the game is given goty from reputable sources.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That's the scary part. I see this thread and the discourse going on within it over a goofy review from a comedic YouTuber, I can only imagine the blow ups with the game is given goty from reputable sources.
The fact Dunky made a comedy video is not even an issue.

The fact people are holding it up as honest representation is.

The video actually brings up a lot of interesting points but people are too upset that someone doesn't like this game they won't even listen
The video is pure hyperbole for entertainment. If you think otherwise just lol

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
That's the scary part. I see this thread and the discourse going on within it over a goofy review from a comedic YouTuber, I can only imagine the blow ups with the game is given goty from reputable sources.

Not scary to me, Its not that hard to believe. At this point, the game factually scored pretty well.

Reading this thread its pretty clear how disingenuous (or sadder, blind) some are being...
...Its incredible actually. I figured this tomfoolery would have ended when the game came out but here we are. lmaooooo

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Why don't you outline some of those points you think people are missing or glossing over and maybe we could move on to discussing them? I'm interested to see what they are.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly duky's schtick is to get super crazy footage to be hyperbolic about points hes making about the game which I understand why if you came to this as a genuine review could take issue with or be confused about if you hadn't watched his stuff before. With that said its comical watching people treat this video as a serious issue to be upset about when no one watches dunkey for serious reviews, and while hyperbolic, he makes points almost every other negative review did of the game.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
You're basing your first impressions on a Dunkey video?

If you want to get an actual idea of the game then watch an actual review instead of a meme YouTuber.

I would actually advise anyone who watches that review to watch the frametrap from last monday....The reviewer definitely explains his reasoning for an 8 out of ten...He thinks the game is a terrible mess, but a wonderful mess when it delivers that 10 percent brilliant moment for 90 percent pain and torture. he basically considers a 7 out of ten to be a really bad game....

so in other words, easy allies uses a 7 for poor, an 8 for decent...listening to frametrap and the guy seemed really off about the game tbh. It was strange.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
Honestly duky's schtick is to get super crazy footage to be hyperbolic about points hes making about the game which I understand why if you came to this as a genuine review could take issue with or be confused about if you hadn't watched his stuff before. With that said its comical watching people treat this video as a serious issue to be upset about when no one watches dunkey for serious reviews, and while hyperbolic, he makes points almost every other negative review did of the game.

It's really funny that people treat him as this serious, measured game critic. He's not gunning for a Pulitzer in journalism here nor is he ever pretending to be.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
"With that said its comical watching people treat this video as a serious issue to be upset about when no one watches dunkey for serious reviews, "

Looks up at thread with people doing just this.