• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you enjoying Death Stranding?

• Yes its a great experience

Votes: 712 43.4%
  • No its a mess

Votes: 367 22.4%
  • I Have Mixed feelings

Votes: 207 12.6%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 354 21.6%

• Total voters

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
"Playing it wrong"

Gosh thats the most BS counterpoint someone can come up with, especially in an open world game about hiking

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm done with resetera. I'm definitely not done with video games, I end up playing 10-20 new games every year, that will probably never change. But this game really made me realize I no longer give a shit about anything you guys have to say. It made me realize that video game reviewers mean nothing to me anymore. For so long have I been a child, now I can look into the mirror and truly see a woman looking back at me. I no longer put any stock into the opinions or thoughts of people on the internet, from now on, I trust myself and those I consider closest to me in real life.

This is probably the single best game I've played this entire generation. It's one of the funnest games I've played in years. I've played all of your favourite games. I'm probably better at most of them than most of you guys are, I've played literally hundreds of video games released this decade of all sorts of different genres and styles.

There are a few of you guys out there who are alright, keep on keeping on. But eventually you guys too will realize you're like me: you truly fucking love video games with all your heart, it's probably impossible to change that about yourself. And you'll realize your posting on a forum full of complete morons who don't even play video games, they just enjoy shitposting about them. These are people who are essentially broken on the inside and have likely lost most of their ability to enjoy things. The type of people who complain about stagnation in the industry, and when arguably the most revolutionary game of the decade drops, they all gang up together to pretend that it isn't even a video game, when in reality Death Stranding is basically the most video gamey video game of all time.
Dunkey thread has given rise to A True Hero of the Web.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, right, is that the part when you said:

and then tried to argue that that's not what you meant, at all? Okay.
Yes mate, saying the hyperbolic negativity is often from players who haven't played it is true, that is NOT the same thing as saying "people who dislike this game haven't played it".

Again, jfc at your constant dishonesty and/or lack of reading comprehension.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Unfortunately now you've lost all credibility.

Unless you meant Guardians of the Galaxy, but that wouldn't make much sense.

Anyway, have fun and carry on.

Hey, people genuinely like the Michael Bay Transformers movies as well.

Plenty of people like shitty things. That's the way of the world.
No dude , this is in my top 5 of this generation and it's not ridiculous.

for context of this year.
My favorite games were
1. Death Stranding
2. RE2make
3. Control
4. Sekiro
5.Luigis Mansion 3

all of them very varied in their styles and mechanics and focus.

is it really unfathomable that maybe Death Strandings mechanics and design resonates with people other than yourself?

Comparing it to Transformers is disingenuous and trolly, and frankly really not comparable. Death Stranding is a slow methodical interactive experience and Transformers is a loud bombastic lowest common denominator of a movie.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Trash review.
I think the guy just didn't know how to play the game.
I literally only fell into water once.
He doesn't know how to climb mountains

This is just meant to rile people up honestly.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I literally... What.
Go, Google the definition, I'll wait.

Edit: also, it's a completely pointless debate, since I'm not trying to disprove that someone had a flawless experience.

Cute. I'll tell you what, I'll go and google it when you show me your numbers for the "large subset"?

Oxford English: "based on anecdotes and possibly not true or accurate "

Wikitionary: "A limited selection of examples which support or refute an argument, but which are not supported by scientific or statistical analysis."

Cambridge: " Anecdotal information is not based on facts or careful study: "

Merriam Webster: "evidence in the form of stories that people tell about what has happened to them"

So there you go. Why dont you do a quick google and show me the special definition you're using where when one person relates their experience its anecdotal but when multiple, oh sorry, when a "large subset" relate their experiences it magically isnt anecdotal?

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yes mate, saying the hyperbolic negativity is often from players who haven't played it is true, that is NOT the same thing as saying "people who dislike this game haven't played it".

Again, jfc at your constant dishonesty and/or lack of reading comprehension.

Yep, and I said the myth is that "most" of the people who dislike it didn't play it. We can argue the finer points of distinction between "often" and "most" until the cows come home, but it's not misrepresenting what you said.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, and I said the myth is that "most" of the people who dislike it didn't play it. We can argue the finer points of distinction between "often" and "most" until the cows come home, but it's not misrepresenting what you said.
Yes, it is entirely misrepresenting what I said. I never said MOST. "Often" in this context doesn't even come close to "most" and your inability to recognise this is frightening. You are incredibly, incredibly dishonest and you can literally NEVER acknowledge your mistakes.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a shame so many are foaming at the mouth to bash not only a game but a producer of a game too. Fellow professionals as well, truly weird and is a horrible look for the site and the gaming community in general.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Cute. I'll tell you what, I'll go and google it when you show me your numbers for the "large subset"?

Wikitionary: "A limited selection of examples which support or refute an argument, but which are not supported by scientific or statistical analysis."

Merriam Webster: "evidence in the form of stories that people tell about what has happened to them"

So there you go. Why dont you do a quick google and show me the special definition you're using where when one person relates their experience its anecdotal but when multiple, oh sorry, when a "large subset" relate their experiences it magically isnt anecdotal?
See their exchange with me above, they literally never conceded a point and always wiggle around dishonestly.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

Literally the first sentence of Wikipedia article:
"Anecdotal evidence is evidence from anecdotes: evidence collected in a casual or informal manner and relying heavily or entirely on personal testimony."

Large subset is very easily proven, actually, look up DS opencritic page or direct your eyes to the poll in this thread.
Again, nobody is claiming a lot of people didn't have fun with DS, but definedMF tried to dismiss Dunkey's points by saying "it didn't happen to me". It doesn't get more anecdotal than that, sorry.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
"Anecdotal evidence is evidence from anecdotes: evidence collected in a casual or informal manner and relying heavily or entirely on personal testimony."

Large subset is very easily proven, actually, look up DS opencritic page or direct your eyes to the poll in this thread.
Again, nobody is claiming a lot of people didn't have fun with DS, but definedMF tried to dismiss Dunkey's points by saying "it didn't happen to me". It doesn't get more anecdotal than that, sorry.
Dunky's "points" were played up on purpose to frame the game in a hyperbolic way.

This is what he DOES for a career, lol.

Do you know who Dunky is?

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I dont think I've seen so many game of the generation comments one week after a games launch...apart from botw maybe.

Really makes me wonder how many games people play.

Also, like botw I wonder if games will be compared to death stranding in 3 years...like every game with botw.
I play lots of games, at least 1-2 a month and try to keep up with all of the big releases. It's definitley in my top 5 this generation.

right now if I hade to give a rough top five for this gen it would probably be.

1. The Last Guardian
2. God of War
3. Red Dead Redemption 2
4. Death Stranding
5. A dead heat between Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
30 seconds in this video and I'm done. I can't stand people playing a game stupidly the wrong way in order to make some points and grab attention. The game has a lot of depth and gameplay mechanics allowing you a lot of freedom depending on your preferences. The core of the game is still finding the best way to navigate into hostile environnement. That the game is divisive and not appealing to some folks, yeah I get it, but it is well crafted and a unique experience worth existing especially nowadays. It's not your jam ok, but it's not failure or an "everything is bad" game by any metric FFS.
Yeah, pretty much how I feel, couldn't have said it any better.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Again, this is a game about traversing terrain, not hyper fast combat with loads of depth,combinations and mechanics
A game about traversing... with deep, varied, and precise mechanics to do so.

Were they really? Because his Dunkview videos are supposed to be his real reviews.

If you think his representation of the game isn't hyperbolic here, and that he isn't intentionally playing badly for lols... lmfao.

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
I literally... What.
Go, Google the definition, I'll wait.
I'll bite... Is the word in question anecdotal? If so, the Merriam-Webster definition is
based on or consisting of reports or observations of usually unscientific observers (examples: anecdotal evidence, health benefits that may be more anecdotal than factual
Comes from the Greek anekdota which means unpublished.

Ex Lion Tamer

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it is entirely misrepresenting what I said. I never said MOST. "Often" in this context doesn't even come close to "most" and your inability to recognise this is frightening. You are incredibly, incredibly dishonest and you can literally NEVER acknowledge your mistakes.

You shouldn't even bother really. I will say generally I've never seen it be so obvious when someone criticizes the game and hasn't played it, maybe that's due to it being centered around a delivery man.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Again, this is a game about traversing terrain using the tools you have, not hyper fast combat with loads of depth,combinations and mechanics

And he does not use the tools correctly or outright ignores them. That's what we mean when we say he's playing wrong. He's failing the mechanics tests the game's laying out for him.

Would it be better if we reframed it as saying he sucks at the game? Git gud, Dunkey!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You shouldn't even bother really. I will say generally I've never seen it be so obvious when someone criticizes the game and hasn't played it, maybe that's due to it being centered around a delivery man.
Claven does this all the time, I don't know why I bite... it's more for the benefit of others new to his specific style of dishonesty.

See, now we're getting somewhere. It's almost as if different people can have different opinions on a piece of entertainment media.
He is intentionally playing badly and going against what the game explicitly teaches you to frame it as a janky mess to hype up his lols.

To be clear, you haven't played it right? If you had, you would know this.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'll have trouble walking in my life later anyway, I can play Death Stranding myself then for real

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
I can't quite tell what the main point of disccusion in this thread is even about.
Are we taking dunkey reviews seriously?

Thought the video was funny even though I disagreed with most of what he said.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Claven does this all the time, I don't know why I bite... it's more for the benefit of others new to his specific style of dishonesty.

This is the third time you've accused me of dishonesty. It's getting a little tiresome. Not only is this thread chock full of people equating not liking a game with not having played it, but you yourself made that connection and then tried to argue against it.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is genuinely amusing. Did you actually read what you quoted? Are you suggesting that opencritic is not casual or informal? Are you suggesting that that reviews are not personal testimony? definedMF's evidence is certainly anecdotal, just like Dunkey's or this phantom "large subset" you're in love with. Your quote certainly doesnt "prove" your bizarre personal definition of anecdotal where "one anecdote=anecdotal, multiple anecdotes=solid objective evidence guy." Your "proof" of the "large subset" is equally flawed. We cant define as large as we don't know the total number of units sold is, but its probably big enough that the 109 opencritic reviews (all of which arent negative) or the 264 negative votes in the poll (assuming they all played it) wouldnt in any way constitute a "large" subset. It would in fact likely constitute less than one percent of units sold. I enjoy arguing semantics as much as the next bored forum user. But I genuinely can't believe you're arguing in good faith so I'm done.

Last edited:

Raybunzy

Oct 26, 2017
Havent played and its been a while since I gave any reviewier any credibility. What I know is that a couple friends are loving the hell out of it. From what I discussed with them, some of the problems Dunkey faced come from bad use of the game mechanics.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
"Playing it wrong"

Gosh thats the most BS counterpoint someone can come up with, especially in an open world game about hiking
QwKfiRD.png

1i3EtCR.png

Rij0YrP.png

zoBt8KS.png
IXbPVYw.png

"The game wants you to travel as light as possible but punishes you for being unequipped"
No. The game wants you to bring as much as you can and use the equipment to make it easier.
Spamming X up shit is totally the right way to play the game when it literally draws a few recommend paths on the map for you and straight up a wall is never one of them.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
"Playing it wrong"

How? Dunkey might as well be playing Modern Warfare and getting mad at his own grenades for killing him when he throws them at his feet. That's the level of mechanical disregard on display here.

"Open world" has never meant "ignore how the game functions."

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This is the third time you've accused me of dishonesty. It's getting a little tiresome. Not only is this thread chock full of people equating not liking a game with not having played it, but you yourself made that connection and then tried to argue against it.
I'm putting you on ignore, I'm probably going to get banned if I carry on allowing you to rile me up with your horrible dishonesty. Goodbye.

"Playing it wrong"

Yes, he is intentionally playing it badly. This is like walking up to a group of enemies in DS and button bashing and dying and saying "BAD GAME".

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
I can't quite tell what the main point of disccusion in this thread is even about.
Are we taking dunkey reviews seriously?

Thought the video was funny even though I disagreed with most of what he said.

24 pages on a 'joke' review?

Yep feelings have definitely been caught.

A good number of his commenters seemed to take him seriously. So it's not just here. Also several other Dunkviews have been legit reviews so why do this one dirty?

Last edited:

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably just as well, since you don't seem to be able or willing to grasp basic concepts.

Ah irony, they name is Claven's bullshit. That's fairly rich coming from someone who has gone out of their way to misrepresent what people have said in the most ignorant and transparent way possible. Balls, guess I made a liar of myself.

Bollocks. They didn't say "Not liking this game is the same thing as not having played it", which would be equating (another word you arent too sure of the meaning of champ?) They said, and you cant possibly have missed it as you quoted it "hyperbolic negativity surrounding it which often comes from people who haven't even tried it" To help you out I'll explain what that sentence means, as its meaning seems to have escaped you on multiple occasions, they are saying that often (i.e. not always) the hyperbolic negativity surrounding the game comes from people who have not played it. They are, to belabor the point, not equating disliking the game with not having played it. You can tell because that's literally not what they said.

I honestly cba to search for the more sweeping statements about people not liking the game because they haven't played it ITT on phone, but they're here, trust me.

Why on earth would anyone be stupid enough to do that?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad after 24 pages we've finally gotten to the take of "Dunky Isn't Being Hyperbolic" lmao

yall are on one sometimes
It's amazing.

A good number of his commenters seemed to take him seriously.
Exactly this.

Ah irony, they name is Claven's bullshit. That's fairly rich coming from someone who has gone out of their way to misrepresent what people have said in the most ignorant and transparent way possible. Balls, guess I made a liar of myself.

Bollocks. They didn't say "Not liking this game is the same thing as not having played it", which would be equating (another word you arent too sure of the meaning of champ?) They said, and you cant possibly have missed it as you quoted it "hyperbolic negativity surrounding it which often comes from people who haven't even tried it" To help you out I'll explain what that sentence means, as its meaning seems to have escaped you on multiple occasions, they are saying that often (i.e. not always) the hyperbolic negativity surrounding the game comes from people who have not played it. They are, to belabor the point, not equating disliking the game with not having played it. You can tell because that's literally not what they said.
<3

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
You know, this is an excellent opportunity to have an illuminating discussion over why someone/players/buyers need a branded third party to give external approval/referral/acknowledgement in order to assign personal value/price to something/product, and how the opposite is also true, as branded third parties also need to give the approval/referral/acknowledgement of a product/game so someone/players can assign them personal value/price/donation.

In this case, as some players inevitably let this particular Dunkview influence negatively the personal value assigned to Death Stranding, others with an already assigned value to Death Stranding will then let Dunk's disapproval negatively impact their view on him. To the latter, I say beware, for comedians feed on misconceptions.

Would it be the case that in our particular niche it stemmed from gaming magazines capitalizing on the console wars, which escalated into a culture of "absolute" ranking that just doesn't reflect the different tastes in the community as it stands right now?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
If you think his representation of the game isn't hyperbolic here, and that he isn't intentionally playing badly for lols... lmfao.
The last months teached me that some people really want to believe that Death Stranding is some kind of super shitty and janky non-game. So no surprise that they take this "review" for the reality of things.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean were they really? Trying to walk on sheer cliffs and trying to climb rockfaces in manner that the game is not designed around absolutely is a willful distortion of how the game plays.
Here is what happens if you try to do X on Y terrain:

FALLS

Here is how you overcome Y terrain with Z tools:

MOVES FAST

*ignores above"

*skyrims up cliff face clearly marked with red Xs to show you will fall*

*falls*

"BAD MECHANICS"

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I like the way Angry Joe described the game.
"If you are not in the mood, if you are not interested in this kind of world and setting, and if you are not willing to roleplay a little, don't bother. But if you are, go for it!".

I think this is the biggest problem.
This game was made for people that like that kind of setting and are willing to invest.
But there are a lot of people scoring it based on different genres. They play it completely wrong and end up giving really unfair scores.

If I don't like reading a lot, and hate the wild west setting, I should not play an wild west point and click visual novel and give it a 0 because it is not like GTA.
It is like giving Journey a 0 because there is no fighting.

And it makes me sad, because it is so rare to have different games like that.
People that don't like this type of slow burn role-playing journey oriented games already have plenty of normal AAA action games to play.
Don't destroy rare games reputation for free like that... It is ok to not be the targeted market for once.
This is ridiculous. You should always be willing to try things you don't usually like. So what if you tend not to like westerns? Who's to say RDR might not change your mind or be something special? This line of thinking is everywhere these days and it seems like people just want everyone to stay in their comfort zones. If you don't already have an affinity for something then you shouldn't play it? That's silly.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
What do you mean were they really? Trying to walk on sheer cliffs and trying to climb rockfaces in manner that the game is not designed around absolutely is a willful distortion of how the game plays.

Of course. As I said before, my take on his "comedic" falls are that the game bored him and he fucked around in it. That doesn't take away his points, though, about game being boring (obviously, for him, not universally). It's similar to what Jim Sterling does in his Jimpressions, IMO.