• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you enjoying Death Stranding?

• Yes its a great experience

Votes: 712 43.4%
  • No its a mess

Votes: 367 22.4%
  • I Have Mixed feelings

Votes: 207 12.6%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 354 21.6%

• Total voters

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Have you played the game, may I ask?

Death Stranding is super consistent and tight with all of its mechanics. If you fall, YOU have made a mistake. Terrain is clearly marked via a scan and ALWAYS behaves the same way when you perform an action crossing it, and the tools you have ALWAYS produce the same results when you use them as a solution to that terrain.

The game very clearly shows you exactly what you need to do to consistently overcome the obstacles, the mechanics are tight and polished. Videos of people ignoring them like Dunky's do not convey this.

I'm waiting for the PC version. I've watched almost a dozen reviews and a few impressions already so I'm looking forward to it. All the way in the beginning Gertsmann's perspective on how easy it can be to move if you don't push yourself attests to your point but I see Girlfriend reviews first attempt on going full sprint on flat pavement without any gear does leave an impression the game will challenge you at every turn if you try to maximize it.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Have you played the game, may I ask?

Death Stranding is super consistent and tight with all of its mechanics. If you fall, YOU have made a mistake. Terrain is clearly marked via a scan and ALWAYS behaves the same way when you perform an action crossing it, and the tools you have ALWAYS produce the same results when you use them as a solution to that terrain.

The game very clearly shows you exactly what you need to do to consistently overcome the obstacles, the mechanics are tight and polished. Videos of people ignoring them like Dunky's do not convey this.

The thing we're highlighting is that there IS a lot of hyperbolic negativity surrounding this

Not the person you responded to, but I've played the game to completion, and it's possible I'm just bad at the game, but there were multiple times I fell and had no real indication. Stamina was fine, I wasn't leaning before hand, and it was inconsistent. I'd fall, try the *exact* same path again and make it up just fine with no problems. Nothing different.

Also, I'm glad that you all are enjoying the game, and im sure there are many that are arguing in bad faith, but calling a lot of it hyperbolic negativity feels a little annoying when I agree with a good bit of the claims regarding how finicky and slow the game can be.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting for the PC version. I've watched almost a dozen reviews and a few impressions already so I'm looking forward to it. All the way in the beginning Gertsmann's perspective on how easy it can be to move if you don't push yourself attests to your point but I see Girlfriend reviews first attempt on going full sprint on flat pavement without any gear does leave an impression the game will challenge you at every turn if you try to maximize it.
So, for those wanting to know the negative opinion and statements about what this game does wrong from people who haven't even played it... here's a case in point ^

Sorry mutant, but your comments about BotW being better based on a misunderstanding of a game you haven't even played are just mud in the discourse mate.

Not the person you responded to, but I've played the game to completion, and it's possible I'm just bad at the game, but there were multiple times I fell and had no real indication. Stamina was fine, I wasn't leaning before hand, and it was inconsistent. I'd fall, try the *exact* same path again and make it up just fine with no problems. Nothing different.

Also, I'm glad that you all are enjoying the game, and im sure there are many that are arguing in bad faith, but calling a lot of it hyperbolic negativity feels a little annoying when I agree with a good bit of the claims regarding how finicky and slow the game can be.
I'd like to see footage of this, because after close to 100 hours I've only had 7 tumbles and I'm quite sure I could point out the error.

Now, it could very well be that you didn't find the solutions conveyed well, there could be valid critique to find here, but I am adamant that the game is very polished and consistent with the terrain and solutions if offers you.

Also, please note, I have repeatedly stated that dislike and valid critique is FINE. And there there are TONNES of valid reasons that people do not like this game or think it is enjoyable. That is NOT what we're talking about when we're discussing the hyperbole, and we have been more than clear.

Last edited:

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
User warned: antagonising another member
The game is great imo. GotG.

Unfortunately now you've lost all credibility.

Unless you meant Guardians of the Galaxy, but that wouldn't make much sense.

Anyway, have fun and carry on.

It is sad that you find people enjoying a videogame you do not to be "disturbing". It must be hard being so egocentric the very idea that other peoples opinions dont align with your own disturbs you.

Hey, people genuinely like the Michael Bay Transformers movies as well.

Plenty of people like shitty things. That's the way of the world.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

If that made me lose credibility with you, all you've done is show your own lack.

This is an opinion, not objective. You cannot possibly dictate to me which game resonated with me. And "more than the sum of its parts" is a common thing in art.

And THIS is another example of the hyperbolic negativity here. It cannot possibly be someone's GotG because it's just that bad OBJECTIVELY.

As I said above, what a mess...

Bethell

Oct 27, 2017
"the goal of death stranding is to build structures for other players, and the most satisfying structures to build are zip lines because these allow other players to skip the entire video game of death stranding"

tenor.gif
This quote is funny and all but its just.. wrong, it completely skips over the entire progression of the game, the fact that you start with nothing for the first 6 hours and progress to a much easier "connected" way of moving around hitting home the fact that working together brings you great benefits.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Wow, this thread is still going, huh.
Like, play the game and form your own opinions. Who actually cares about reviews past the age of 18.
The game is literally free if you start a trial at some rental company.
These 'I haven't played the game, but I've watched a guy play it, so let me tell you why you're wrong' posts add next to nothing.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
We are really back to the drawing board if now people are saying the video isn't meant to be taken seriously when the first few pages assured me "Dunkviews" were.

If this is meant to be a silly video, then there's no issue. As a serious demonstration of flaws with the game, it's easy to dismiss it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
We are really back to the drawing board if now people are saying the video isn't meant to be taken seriously when the first few pages assured me "Dunkviews" were.

If this is meant to be a silly video, then there's no issue. As a serious demonstration of flaws with the game, it's easy to dismiss it.
We have people ITT saying "this video convey's my issues with DS".

And that is baffling.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't expect DS to be like Kojima's past games and i liked it well enough for what it is, but i doubt i will be replaying it. Which is not the case for any the mainline MGS games, all of which i have replayed at least a few times. The gameplay just isn't as in depth. Sure there are a ton of mechanics that the game dumps on you but you are mostly doing the exact same thing for 30-40 hours. There is very little decisions to make when it comes to reaching a destination. Just pick the quickest route and go. It is all very bare bones. No challenge or anything interesting going on while on your way. The combat is pretty boring. The stealth parts are a joke next to MGSV and pretty worthless as a way to add variety because all the stealth segments are EXACTLY the same across the entire game. The bosses? Same thing.

More often than not Death Stranding feels like a very rough draft of something that could be much greater but it reeks of missed potential.

It does feel like Kojima's worst game overall. While i would never rate it as low as a 1/5 or something hyperbolic as that, it does feel like a very 7/10 game in every sense of the word.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
We have people ITT saying "this video convey's my issues with DS".

And that is baffling.

To be fair, I think it's pretty easy to be bad at this game, as Dunkey apparently is. Things can snowball pretty quickly and you can lose an hour of work if you're not careful through apparently innocuous things.

Like one mission I was crossing a river and forgot to scan for depth and it swept me off my feet. All my cargo floated down the river and eventually hit the big mid-area waterfall and was destroyed and I lost everything. A perfectly understandable reaction to that is "fuck this game" but the truth is there's many ways I could have avoided that failure (scanning for depth, finding another way around, bringing supplies to lay ladders over rock outcrops on the river which are pretty intentionally placed for you to do so) and I skipped all of them. But not many videogames allow you to fail so quickly if you're not careful in listening to what it's telling you to do or not do.

I also say this as someone who is bad at many videogames, so I'm not propping myself up here.

Are you saying he played it wrong?

Yes, he demonstrably is. Failing at the mechanics tests the game tells you it will test you with is playing it wrong. Or rather, playing poorly.

All vehicles should have been removed from the game. They are horrible to drive, get stuck on absolutely everything, and are too useful making the only enjoyable mechanic; walking, pointless.

Vehicles are extremely useful for carrying lots of cargo across roads and open terrain. They are very narrowly useful, which makes them a great non-game-breaking option. Outside of roads and open, non-rocky terrain, floating carriers on foot is still your best bet. Or if you're not carrying much cargo, ziplines.

Last edited:

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Are you saying he played it wrong? The game has horrible driving mechanics because it's animation based. There is no way to make a vehicle turn over or capsize no matter how hard you try. You ever tried jumping with the bikes? It's linear motion straight up. Feels like a keyframed animation instead of purely physics-based which feels so wrong compared to how you jump on foot. Another weird part with the bikes is reversing, it's like the longer you held the gas down the longer it takes for you to start going in reverse even though you're standing still! It makes no sense. It makes no sense.

All vehicles should have been removed from the game. They are horrible to drive, get stuck on absolutely everything, and are too useful making the only enjoyable mechanic; walking, pointless.
I love the game but yeah, vehicles are trash in this game.
After a couple of times i decided to do everything on foot without a single regret.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, I think it's pretty easy to be bad at this game, as Dunkey apparently is. Things can snowball pretty quickly and you can lose an hour of work if you're not careful through apparently innocuous things.

Like one mission I was crossing a river and forgot to scan for depth and it swept me off my feet. All my cargo floated down the river and eventually hit the big mid-area waterfall and was destroyed and I lost everything. A perfectly understandable reaction to that is "fuck this game" but the truth is there's many ways I could have avoided that failure (scanning for depth, finding another way around, bringing supplies to lay ladders over rock outcrops on the river which are pretty intentionally placed for you to do so) and I skipped all of them. But not many videogames allow you to fail so quickly if you're not careful in listening to what it's telling you to do or not do.
Exactly, and I fully understand not enjoying a game that makes you consider all aspects of traversal in this way. This is one of the main reasons I don't like Dark Souls. I KNOW the deaths are my fault for lacking patience and planning, but I just don't find the game worlds engaging enough to hook me to want to find that focus.

I fully understand the same thing here, in a game that does something similar with forcing you to plan and execute while being aware and focused at all times. There is "tedium" here by design, much like in DS it's this plus the fact that you could, at any time, make a run ending fall that makes planning and executing an efficient route so rewarding.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Hey, people genuinely like the Michael Bay Transformers movies as well.

Plenty of people like shitty things. That's the way of the world.

Oh man, you're one of those people that are just so full of themselves. Everything you don't like is "shitty" . I don't like Lord of the Rings but I don't fail to recognize it's good and understand why people like it. Your attitude sucks.

Feb 21, 2019
I think it is a strangely compelling game both from a gameplay and narrative perspective.

Its not for everyone, but its definitely quality and designed a very specific way.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I dont think I've seen so many game of the generation comments one week after a games launch...apart from botw maybe.

Really makes me wonder how many games people play.

Also, like botw I wonder if games will be compared to death stranding in 3 years...like every game with botw.

Last edited:

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
First review I've seen (not that i'm reading/watching all) that doesn't excuse the game with the "ItS gOoD bUT iTs NoT fOr EvErYoNe!"

So a review that doesn't acknowledge the technical merit or high level of production and quality and instead lies about those being bad to cover the fact that the game just doesn't agree with the reviewer's taste?

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
the game probably would have done better if the marketing didn't hype it up to be the next Mona Lisa.

for what it's worth, I liked it. I also went it in 0 expectations and haven't played a Kojima game since MGS4.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Also if he was so bored with, as much so to give it a 1/5, why see it to the end and make a video bashing on it unduly?

It's literally his job.

None of what he is saying in the video seems valid (despite peoples view on the writing). I personally never really had any issues withe gameplay loop and even when I tried doing wacky shit I didn't blame the game for anything because its not what the game is intended for and I don't expect it to do the wacky shit perfectly in a world where physics systems are very important to traversal.

While I'm really happy that you personally never had any issues and you even think the writing is good, a lot of his points were echoed in other reviews and experiences of other players. Anecdotal evidence won't cut it, I'm afraid.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I'm really happy that you personally never had any issues and you even think the writing is good, a lot of his points were echoed in other reviews and experiences of other players. Anecdotal evidence won't cut it, I'm afraid.

And reviews are somehow not anecdotal evidence but are objective fact? It's funny how anecdotal evidence cuts it for you when you agree with it.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
the game probably would have done better if the marketing didn't hype it up to be the next Mona Lisa.

for what it's worth, I liked it. I also went it in 0 expectations and haven't played a Kojima game since MGS4.

Marketing seemed fine. I just think gamers hyped it up the most just because it's Kojima.

Chudah

Apr 23, 2019

I think this is probably it. I'm not saying it's a good or bad game, because I haven't played it. But all of the gushing praise it's getting is making me not want to play it. And I realize that I've missed some amazing games before because of that. However, it's off-putting to see people heap praise onto something while at the same time dismissing those who don't like it. I don't think Kojima helped at all by belittling the opinions of those who didn't enjoy it either (that's pretty much what his quote about Americans was). That just gave more fuel to the community of Kojima enthusiasts.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
And reviews are somehow not anecdotal evidence but are objective fact? It's funny how anecdotal evidence cuts it for you when you agree with it.

Mmm, I don't think you're quite onto your Gotcha moment there.
Let me clear it up for you a little - definedMF tries to devalue Dunkey's points by saying "it never happened to me" (anecdotal evidence).
I'm not trying to dismiss his flawless experience with the game, I'm just pointing out that there is a fairly large subset of players who had experience similar to Dunkey's (not anecdotal evidence as it doesn't rely on personal testimony of one person).

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
You just described an average commute to work as a really fun gaming experience.

What is the traffic like, should I leave early? Do I have enough gas in my car or am I going to have to stop? Is there road work I may run into? If so I'll need to watch for pot holes so I don't damage my vehicle. Should I take transit instead? If I do what is the weather like? Should I bring an umbrella if it's raining and I might have to walk for any length of time? What sort of clothing is appropriate for the weather?

Best of all, after making all these fun decisions I get paid for my day of work and I get to make them all again on the way home!

I can't remember the last time I had to plan for ghost attacks, highway robbery, rain that fast ages my vehicle and cargo, or traversing mountainous terrain or random chasms in the course of my daily commute.

If I did I'd probably enjoy that too.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
My take on the video was that he was bored with the game and tried to fuck around in it, not that he was playing "wrong" the entire time.

He's also not playing it wrong. People are insisting that the game does movement well when the reality is it looks janky as fuck in certain regards and mechanically can be sky-rimmed through. Plus it's such a stretch to say that the vehicles don't look/feel terrible wit how they handle rough terrain, the same can be said of the climbing.

Like, I get why people enjoy the game. At the same time it feels like everybody who does goes so far to deny its many flaws. I actually really enjoyed sonic 06 because of the challenges it's design gave you, I still wouldn't call it a good game.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
the absurdity of it, the playfulness, it is something I personally find utterly charming. His style is really unique in this regard and I don't know why anyone who has played his previous games would expect anything else.

You're free to dislike it, of course.

This is exactly a big part of why I love Kojima games. It's like that since Metal Gear Solid on PS1. The games are cinematic as hell, have a "serious" story, bringing realism in many aspects etc. But at the same time, it's super anime, japanese, with a lot of charming playfulness and so on. That aspect feels very self aware too. It's just all dressed up in a unique way. I can easily understand if it's not everyone's cup of tea, but this is exactly what I expect and hope for every new Kojima game, all the time. It's one huge aspect I love about the games.
No I get that part but myself, along with many others, who really dig the game have clarified in painstaking detail what it is they find so appealing about the game. Not that I expect you to read all my posts, you didn't even talk to me directly, but as for myself, I'm well aware the dialog and characters are fucking asinine but it's not something that remotely factors into my enjoyment of games. I know it's C-grade Hollywood pastiche schlock juxtaposed with legit amazing world building and environmental storytelling, it's just that it doesn't impact me whatsoever. I grew up with story justifications like "oh no, someone kidnapped your girl, go fist-fight". I wager there are tons of players out there with the same take on Kojima's entertaining-yet-silly-and-fun story antics.

I don't get why the idea that some people just don't care if cutscenes are goofy is disturbing. I also don't understand why people expected a really serious, grounded philosophical treatise from a dude who continuously throughout his career, including this very game, had at the very least a handful of shit, piss and fart jokes in his games. In this game your weapons fighting otherwordly Silent Hill apparitions are...piss and shit and shower water grenades...and you can literally equip your cock and use the "fire" trigger to piss while a fucking baby strapped to your stomach giggles through your controller. I truly think players take Kojima's antics way more seriously than he does by a long stretch. And don't even get me started on the obviously silly ass character names, I think he's just having fun.

I just don't see the big difference here to his previous work in terms of silliness or juxtaposition of silliness and beautiful atmosphere and so on. In general, this game is typical, pure Kojima to me the more I play it and like I said, I seriously only rented it because I wanted to see just how shitty this game really is because the videos looked so fucking boring.

And again, I'm not trying to convince you or whatever, or even others, I just think the meme-level mockery this game is receiving is misguided and getting more and more ridiculous. It's a "thing" now and while I was on that bash train at first, I'm not saying everyone should love it just because I ended up doing so but it deserves way more of a chance than a lot of people are willing to give it, especially on a super-nerdy enthusiast forum like ERA.

Edit: Just to add, I'm fully aware Kojima's dumb ass marketing and Twitter shitposting largely contributed to this.

I love you.
You just saved me a lot of time :)

Death Stranding has the same Kojima style, charme and trademarks etc. which I love since Metal Gear Solid on the original Playstation.

Death Stranding delivered not only what I expected and hoped for. It is exactly what Kojima does and did before, turned up to the maximum.
At least that's how it feels to me.

Oh man, you're one of those people that are just so full of themselves. Everything you don't like is "shitty" . I don't like Lord of the Rings but I don't fail to recognize it's good and understand why people like it. Your attitude sucks.

Yeah, it's so strange to me.
There are hundreds of games that are not my cup of tea. Minecraft, Fifa and most other sports games, Assassins Creed games, Every Bioshock game, and many other beloved and highly praised games. But I'm still able to recognize and acknowledge their accomplishments, qualities, or understanding the reasons why people love certain games. I don't even have the energy or motivation to spend time with telling people how "bad" I think some games are, or how much I don't like them. I mean, there is no problem in pointing out real flaws, but some comments here are just crazy, super close minded or low effort.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mmm, I don't think you're quite onto your Gotcha moment there.
Let me clear it up for you a little - definedMF tries to devalue Dunkey's points by saying "it never happened to me" (anecdotal evidence).
I'm not trying to dismiss his flawless experience with the game, I'm just pointing out that there is a fairly large subset of players who had experience similar to Dunkey's (not anecdotal evidence as it doesn't rely on personal testimony of one person).

I'd challenge you to back up that "fairly large" but it would be immaterial as anecdotal evidence is still anecdotal even if its from multiple people. People relating their personal experiences, even en masse, is literally anecdotal evidence. I'd certainly agree that a vocal subset of players have experienced similar issues. Totally onboard with pointing that out. But those complaints are still anecdotal. You seem to have an odd definition of the term, seeming to believe it has to be solely from an individual, so perhaps thats where the breakdown in meaning is coming from.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
He's also not playing it wrong. People are insisting that the game does movement well when the reality is it looks janky as fuck in certain regards and mechanically can be sky-rimmed through. Plus it's such a stretch to say that the vehicles don't look/feel terrible wit how they handle rough terrain, the same can be said of the climbing.

Like, I get why people enjoy the game. At the same time it feels like everybody who does goes so far to deny its many flaws. I actually really enjoyed sonic 06 because of the challenges it's design gave you, I still wouldn't call it a good game.
He IS playing it wrong, on purpose. This is highly polished game.

The fact you can choose to try to sky rim through doesn't highlight what you think it does.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'd challenge you to back up that "fairly large" but it would be immaterial as anecdotal evidence is still anecdotal even if its from multiple people. People relating their personal experiences, even en masse, is literally anecdotal evidence. I'd certainly agree that a vocal subset of players have experienced similar issues. Totally onboard with pointing that out. But those complaints are still anecdotal. You seem to have an odd definition of the term, seeming to believe it has to be solely from an individual, so perhaps thats where the breakdown in meaning is coming from.

I literally... What.
Go, Google the definition, I'll wait.

Edit: also, it's a completely pointless debate, since I'm not trying to disprove that someone had a flawless experience.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not that good at videogames at the age of 40, and even I haven't tripped and fallen over my ass, or sunk in a river, or damaged my cargo to a failed mission state in some 40+ hours. I'm amazed at seeing people trip and fall on a flat terrain.

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
Such a lust for reviews

I liked Death Stranding, it had its flaws but it was mainlining A Hideo Kojima Game straight into the veins, so definitely my jam. Such as with every other one of his games, I've came out the other side a different person somewhat.

To those who are flustered over the credits sequence being too long, I surmise you are not part of the cadre that has, for the past months, entertained a narrative that Kojima does not credit his team properly, for that would be highly contradictory given the fact the director has guaranteed the player would be reading their names consumed by the hunger of endgame exposition.

To anyone sad about bad reviews, I guess life can be a beach sometimes.
Don't let that get you down, it was objectively a technical feat of great importance and shall be branded as a crowning artistic achievement of this decade regardless of its total reception.

Can't wait for the KP's next game!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You are really something else...

This Part I in a long litany of shitpost pieces we will see on Era for the next year or so, until some other game hits the masses and outrage culture runs with it. Dunkey just perpetuating this outrage culture like Crowbcat to get those clicks, and it sadly works everttime.

Dunkey legitimately made it harder on himself then not, this game was a simple yet extremely rewarding game. One I haven't experienced in ages.
So, if disliking the game is "clickbaiting", "outrage culture", "shitposting" and "hate train", then liking the game must surely be "fanboyism" and "Kojima cult". Right?
Or how does this work? No one is allowed to not enjoy the game, because it's _objectively_ awesome? Help me out here.
That wasn't their point and you known it...

It is absolutely fine to dislike this game, but there is a clear and hyperbolic negativity surrounding it which often comes from people who haven't even tried it.

And that is what that poster is talking about, and what Dunky's played up for lols gameplay is perpetuating.

They do NOT mean the actual fairly expressed negative opinions and critiques which are absolutely valuable.
This keeps coming up, this myth about how most of the people who didn't enjoy the game actually haven't played it, but there are still no receipts to support it. Also, a fair number of reviewers didn't enjoy it, are we to assume they haven't played it either?
That is not even CLOSE to what I said.

Read my post again, jfc...