• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you enjoying Death Stranding?

• Yes its a great experience

Votes: 712 43.4%
  • No its a mess

Votes: 367 22.4%
  • I Have Mixed feelings

Votes: 207 12.6%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 354 21.6%

• Total voters

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played the game and never will, but i did watch streams from time to time and this video seems on point from my perspective. If you liked the game, great, but i can tell it's something i'd never care to try.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Based on how Dunkey talks about games when he's being a bit more serious, it was obvious that Death Stranding wasn't going to appeal to him. I enjoyed the video though.

definedMF

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto Canada
This Part I in a long litany of shitpost pieces we will see on Era for the next year or so, until some other game hits the masses and outrage culture runs with it. Dunkey just perpetuating this outrage culture like Crowbcat to get those clicks, and it sadly works everttime.

Dunkey legitimately made it harder on himself then not, this game was a simple yet extremely rewarding game. One I haven't experienced in ages.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played the game and never will, but i did watch streams from time to time and this video seems on point from my perspective. If you liked the game, great, but i can tell it's something i'd never care to try.
This video is so far from on point. Dunky is playing it badly on purpose, if you watch someone playing the game properly it looks nothing like this.

What would you say if you heard the OT is full of people who had the exact opinion you just expressed, then risked trying it regardless and found they loved it?

It's perfectly okay to not try a game, not everything is for everyone, but this is absolutely a game that cannot be expressed via the traditional means of observing gameplay footage. It really, really does need to be played for you to see if it will click for YOU.

I thought it looked incredibly boring and was quite aghast at the idea that Kojima had wasted an entire game on something like this... then I played it, and it clicked so hard the game has become my GotG.

Not trying to be pushy, merely attempting to convey how this game really does need to be played to be understood.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I like the way Angry Joe described the game.
"If you are not in the mood, if you are not interested in this kind of world and setting, and if you are not willing to roleplay a little, don't bother. But if you are, go for it!".
I dunno that's something that's true for pretty much every game out there.

I mean every game can yield you a good time if it scratches an itch. I mean as long as it's not entirely unplayable or something.

Like I'm sure the recent Terminator game can be a decent ride if you just want a not-entierly-shit game in a Terminator apocalyptic setting. That doesn't say much with regard to the game, like whether or not the gameplay is satisfying, whether or not the story is well written, etc.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
The issue with discourse surrounding Death Stranding is how we quantify a bad playing game and one that simply built around a gameplay loop that does not have broad appeal. It's an observation that can be applied to an assortment of games and genres, and this weird fixation gamers have on a game appealing to the widest group of people in order for it to somehow be good. And I think part of the issue with Death Stranding is that Kojima has come off the back of Metal Gear Solid, a series spanning well over a decade that embraces scenario driven climatic stealth and action, that has appealed to millions for its admittedly comfortable and predictable gameplay loops.

And that's not to dismiss people who dislike Death Stranding for its gameplay, or don't find it appealing, but there absolutely has to be a point where "This game is not for you" is a legitimate, valid observation. I think Minecraft is boring, but I also recognise its various game systems are aimless objectives are not built for someone like me. Animal Crossing can get pretty boring, and I know many people who don't see the appeal, because in practice what do you do? There's no challenge in Animal Crossing. It's just emulating day-to-day stuff with cute animals, no real objective other than the ones you make yourself. Flight Simulator is just flying a plane from point A to B.

Death Stranding is prime for being picked apart in how it works, how it does not, where it could be improved, etc. If I had to pluck one non-narrative related criticism out of thin air, it would be that I think it's a bit too easy most of the time, for a multitude of reasons (generosity of online content sharing, usefulness of the gear, etc). But, to the game's credit, it sticks to its formula and has built all game systems around this. Yes, it's a walking simulator. You're a sci fi postman. You just deliver shit. But every facet in the game is built around this activity, an activity that is central to the gameplay loop. And it's okay if this "isn't for you", because that is a valid observation. For those who do enjoy this gameplay loop, Death Stranding is everything.

Not every game needs to appeal to everyone. Not everyone is going to find every gameplay loop of every genre enjoyable. It's okay for games to branch out and try a different approach to interactivity, and maybe in doing so will craft an experience that some people do resonate really well with. A lot of people are going to go apeshit over the new Flight Simulator because for them the thrill comes from literally just...flying a plane, mastering the physics, and all the real world emulation of technicalities. But I can also guarantee that a vast, vast majority of Era is going to find it boring as shit because all you do is fly planes. Disco Elysium is easily one of the best games this year, and one of the best RPGs of all time. But deep down I know fundamentally that no amount of wonderfully inventive, stimulating writing and brilliantly interwoven skill checks into text-based dialogue and event progression is going to sway people who are more drawn to Skyrim as their ideal RPG.

Death Stranding is great. You deliver stuff and walking or driving from A to B is satisfyingly engaging. It cleverly interweaves assorted environmental hazards alongside the topography variances to ensure you're always paying attention to manage your tools, stamina, weight distribution, inclines/declines, surface types, threats (BTs and MULES), etc. And I feel super rewarded when I get from A to B because I enjoyed the interactive journey there, and the visual/audio splendour on the way. There's this one mission towards the end of a mid game chapter which pissed people off because they saw it as pointless backtracking and it was more or less the breaking point of the game for them. I did the entire journey manually on foot and enjoyed every single second, from the music track kicking in at the start, the almost uncannily placed hotspring break halfway through the trek, the shift from grassy flat topography to stone and then snowy mountains, the passive dialogue connecting the two characters, and its conclusion. It all came together for what I felt was a marvellous interactive experience.

Even so, I still wouldn't readily recommend the game to people, not without detailing the game systems first. I've had two mates ask me if I think they'd like it. I told them they wouldn't, because I'm confident they wouldn't, though have offered to loan them the game when I'm done so they can try it out. It's the kind of game that I think does its unique gameplay loop far better than it has any right to. It accomplishes a lot of what I enjoy about certain interactive experiences. It was doomed to never appeal to everyone and I can totally appreciate when people play it and hate it. And that's okay, because I'm just glad it exists.
What a great post, damn.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
The fact that 45% of voters think that DS is a "great experience" is disturbing.

palp.jpg

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone give me examples of good kojima writing?
Good Kojima writing is present in all of his games. One of the main issues is that it's lost in translation to western audiences, and the literal approach he takes makes it clunky at times.

MGS1 is the best western translation of his games because the translator was given free reign and actually went out if his way to translate the writing into something more palatable for the western audience while staying true to the intended meaning.

The sad part here is that when Kojima created MGSi with the intent to allow users to experience both language VA and subtitles, he was informed of the "liberties" that had been taken with his work, and he clamped down and made sure the translation was more literal in his game going forward.

Kojima'a writing is good imo, overall, but his insistence to remain literal in translation harms it often.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like the way Angry Joe described the game.
"If you are not in the mood, if you are not interested in this kind of world and setting, and if you are not willing to roleplay a little, don't bother. But if you are, go for it!".

I think this is the biggest problem.
This game was made for people that like that kind of setting and are willing to invest.
But there are a lot of people scoring it based on different genres. They play it completely wrong and end up giving really unfair scores.

If I don't like reading a lot, and hate the wild west setting, I should not play an wild west point and click visual novel and give it a 0 because it is not like GTA.
It is like giving Journey a 0 because there is no fighting.

And it makes me sad, because it is so rare to have different games like that.
People that don't like this type of slow burn role-playing journey oriented games already have plenty of normal AAA action games to play.
Don't destroy rare games reputation for free like that... It is ok to not be the targeted market for once.
I love the setting. I love when a sweet ass song kicks in while I'm in beautiful, desolate environments. But then really bad, convoluted, needlessly indulgent and exposition heavy cutscenes ruin my mood again.

This isn't about the game being too one of a kind. It's fetch quests with copy paste stations and a reasonably elaorate shared world design. They absolutely had to craft an elaborate system for walking/driving, because that's pretty much all you do (the combat sucks, let's not kid ourselves). Problem is, that made walking cumbersome instead of engaging for me. It's not like I "don't get it", I just think it's over all a bad game.
Likening this game to Journey is an insult to Journey, frankly.

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
Yes its a great experience
Votes: 426 45.0%

No its a mess
Votes: 221 23.4%

Well done, Era

<3

Why don't you know what to think?

The gameplay is very unique and fresh, especially in the AAA space. Kojima Pro has brought the depth of mechanics that MGSV had for combat... to hiking. he's brought the planning of a loadout for combat encounters to... planning a delivery route. Other games have you traversing and managing becoming encumbered, but never to this level of detail and depth of mechanics. And THAT is the unique thing, the core focus of the game is something that is a means to an end in almost every other game that inhabits this space.

The entire thing is utterly unique in the AAA space, and even outside it is a unique game overall. The multiplayer aspects also make the game world feel alive in a way that open worlds populated with actual players fail to achieve.
Lol it disturbs you that people have a great time playing a fucking game? I swear the drama surrounding this silly little game has reached such absurd heights on ERA that it'll one day be the origin story for one of you turning full-on Joker.
It really isn't as it's inconsequential in every way whether people like Death Stranding or not. Your Favorite Game Company isn't going to stop making Your Favorite Genre just because Death Stranding resonates with a lot of people. The only reason it'd be disturbing is if you demand everyone's appeal is linked to your taste curation, which would be absurd. It also makes your first sentence pretty hollow. "I'm glad you're enjoying it but it disturbs me so many are." What?

As for the "revolutionary" aspect, the way Death Stranding is revolutionary is how it integrates the "strand" aspect of the experience expertly with the desolate isolation of the delivery gameplay loop to make the process feel rewarding and meaningful. Not just the end result as if the only meaningful reward is a sick gun skin or dancing emote at the end of it. But the process itself, the journey. Logging in and seeing someone used my Timefall Shelter and gave me Likes for it is rewarding, not just because I got Likes, but because I know someone out there had the exact same rough time on a mission and thought "a Timefall shelter needs to be here" and I rectified that for them.

About "walking": You begin de-powered, but this only serves to make upgrades and social structures feel as great as they do. You talk about managing towers on one's back and leaning, as if leaning is an issue for anyone actually engaging with the gameplay systems: there are methods to eliminate leaning-as-conflict through button inputs (L2+R2) and through unlocks such as floating carriers and trucks and ziplines. Leaning and falling are only issues to those who truly don't give a shit about the actual process of making a delivery and only want the reward at the end. Managing your cargo through proper equipment and route planning means that "leaning" is barely ever a blip on my radar. It becomes second nature to manage.

And if I'm being honest, I feel almost nostalgic towards the first few chapters now. With so many tools to manage deliveries at my disposal, I know the days of only having ladders and ropes is something I'll never get back, so I'm glad I did have those "in mah day" chapters.

None of this is to say YOU have to care about Death Stranding at all, in the same way I don't give a flying fuck about isometric RPGs and hate the experience of virtually every one I play. What I don't do, however, is judge those games or the people that play them as anything other than a subgenre community that I'm glad exists but don't particularly care to join.

Let me clarify. I meant word "great" specifically.

Of the amount that I have played, I've enjoyed parts of it to some degree, but the cringe worthy dialog pulls me out immediately.

So yes, I find it disturbing that 45% of people here would call this experience Great.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The "Kojima is a bad writer" meme is trash tier.

He's not the best writer, but he has moment sif brilliance that a bad writer couldn't achieve.

And I'll take his idiosyncrasies and over indulgence if it means we get the highs we do.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
That's sort of Dunkeys thing though, he's less of a reviewer and more of an entertainer, who makes interesting videos. Most people who've played the game have probably fallen or messed up fewer times than in his short video, so it's either that he's unbelievably incompetent at the game and thus not really worth paying attention to for a meaniful review, that he's cherry picked the worst examples purposefully, or that he's intentionally playing bad to get more amusing footage.

I do also like how in the video he mentions that BotW's copious amounts of stamina based climbing which has similar pre-planning, time consuming and skill based considerations, is fun for "reasons", whilst Death Stranding's stamina based traversal for superfluous reasons, isn't lol.

If you can say this then you never seriously thought through how videogames work.

Here's a hint. Information is conveyed very differently with these games which makes one version objectively better in most ways except when it rains.

If you can't break down that hint then don't bother criticizing Dunkey's point.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Of the amount that I have played, I've enjoyed parts of it to some degree, but the cringe worthy dialog pulls me out immediately.

So yes, I find it disturbing that 45% of people here would call this experience Great.
You don't need to clarify, it was obvious we understood that from our responses...

The fact you fund that disturbing, especially after people have explained it, is the actual disturbing thing here.

The game is great imo. GotG.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If you can say this then you never seriously thought through how videogames work.

Here's a hint. Information is conveyed very differently with these games which makes one version objectively better in most ways except when it rains.

If you can't break down that hint then don't bother criticizing Dunkey's point.
Yes, Death Stranding is objectively better than BotW at this!

See, I can make dumb subject statements as fact style comments too! What a mess...

PS - imo, DS is better than BotW at this.

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone give me examples of good kojima writing?

Huey's subplot on MGSV is great, his send-off was amazing: "You keep calling him a dog, but he's clearly a wolf!"

It's one of the few moments when the game's plot managed to live up to the expectations and tone setted up by the trailers

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
This Part I in a long litany of shitpost pieces we will see on Era for the next year or so, until some other game hits the masses and outrage culture runs with it. Dunkey just perpetuating this outrage culture like Crowbcat to get those clicks, and it sadly works everttime.

So, if disliking the game is "clickbaiting", "outrage culture", "shitposting" and "hate train", then liking the game must surely be "fanboyism" and "Kojima cult". Right?
Or how does this work? No one is allowed to not enjoy the game, because it's _objectively_ awesome? Help me out here.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of sheer salt in this thread is enough to turn the great lakes into salt water.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So, if disliking the game is "clickbaiting", "outrage culture", "shitposting" and "hate train", then liking the game must surely be "fanboyism" and "Kojima cult". Right?
Or how does this work? No one is allowed to not enjoy the game, because it's _objectively_ awesome? Help me out here.
That wasn't their point and you known it...

It is absolutely fine to dislike this game, but there is a clear and hyperbolic negativity surrounding it which often comes from people who haven't even tried it.

And that is what that poster is talking about, and what Dunky's played up for lols gameplay is perpetuating.

They do NOT mean the actual fairly expressed negative opinions and critiques which are absolutely valuable.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
You can purposely play wrong to get a stupid point across like in this video (placing a ladder in a stupid way like at the very beginning, not crouching while passing under something with a 3 meter tall backpack, hitting every single rock in a path while there are clear ways around them, carrying a bomb in a vehicle over unfair terrain after the game hammers you noless than 4 times about SPECIFICALLY not doing that shit etc.) .

Or you can have fun with the dozens of mechanics.
Random example:

That's really cool.

I heard this game is a low key city builder but while that seems questionable you can make some interesting things you can't make in Minecraft or Simcity.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
That wasn't their point and you known it...

It is absolutely fine to dislike this game, but there is a clear and hyperbolic negativity surrounding it which often comes from people who haven't even tried it.

And that is what that poster is talking about.

They do NOT mean the acrual fairly expressed negativd opinions and critiques which are absolutely valuable.

This keeps coming up, this myth about how most of the people who didn't enjoy the game actually haven't played it, but there are still no receipts to support it. Also, a fair number of reviewers didn't enjoy it, are we to assume they haven't played it either?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This keeps coming up, this myth about how most of the people who didn't enjoy the game actually haven't played it, but there are still no receipts to support it. Also, a fair number of reviewers didn't enjoy it, are we to assume they haven't played it either?
That is not even CLOSE to what I said.

Read my post again, jfc...

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, Death Stranding is objectively better than BotW at this!

See, I can make dumb subject statements as fact style comments too! What a mess...

PS - imo, DS is better than BotW at this.

When people have more information they can make more informed decisions. That capacity to be informed guaranties there are ways to be objectively better in a mathematical sense.

This is why rain is an outlier because it throws in RNG that renders your mental calculations useless.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
When people have more information they can make more informed decisions. That capacity to be informed guaranties there are ways to be objectively better in a mathematical sense.

This is why rain is an outlier because it throws in RNG that renders your mental calculations useless.
lol, no, your opinion of BotW here is nothing more than an opinion.

definedMF

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto Canada
There's not liking something, then there's claiming false aspects of a game that are completely explained and conveyed to the player.

If the player chooses to ignore the rules of the game, the aspect of the mechanics and the the details of story (which Dunkey has chosen to do here, and has done before) then I will absolutely call out them out for "shitposting" and "clickbaiting" nature of their videos.

Its a pretty simple explanation. You can validly not like something without using piss poor examples to prove your case, something Dunkey seems to be marvelous at overlooking.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Believe me, I am glad you are enjoying it, but I honestly don't know what to think when I read statements like this.

Making a third person character walk is not fresh gameplay. Nor is walking with a third person character who is encumbered. I don't think pressing a button to lean or balance should be praised like it's some revolutionary leap in game design. Micromanaging inventory and stability with towers on a character's back is something. I just don't know what.

The boring argument isn't really fair. There are millions of people who loved the first metal gear and it was almost universally praised by gaming critics of the time. That game started one of the longest and most popular franchises gaming history. It's the reason why Kojima is relevant. I don't think it's accurate to say that "many" people thought that game was boring.

Kojima gained popularity because he was making cinematic games with stories and characters (no matter how stupid they are) when other games weren't. He was there at the right time and place to provide juvenile stories for juveniles when gaming was just started to grow into 3D storytelling. I can admit that I thought his stories were cool when I was a child. He's like the person who posts nonsensical inspirational quotes on social media and actually believes in them. I was happy to tolerate his "deep" ideas in MGS4 and MGS5 when I realized how fucking stupid his writing and characters were because the gameplay was great. Death stranding is all the worst of Kojima's high school level writing combined with terrible gameplay that he wants people to think is more than what it is.

The fact that 45% of voters think that DS is a "great experience" is disturbing.

Why do you care so much? There're people who buy FIFA every year and still loves it why don't you go ''disturbing'' on those people instead?

By your logic everyone who enjoyed Euro Truck Simulator is either a fanboy or just fucking weird.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The issue with discourse surrounding Death Stranding is how we quantify a bad playing game and one that simply built around a gameplay loop that does not have broad appeal. It's an observation that can be applied to an assortment of games and genres, and this weird fixation gamers have on a game appealing to the widest group of people in order for it to somehow be good. And I think part of the issue with Death Stranding is that Kojima has come off the back of Metal Gear Solid, a series spanning well over a decade that embraces scenario driven climatic stealth and action, that has appealed to millions for its admittedly comfortable and predictable gameplay loops.

And that's not to dismiss people who dislike Death Stranding for its gameplay, or don't find it appealing, but there absolutely has to be a point where "This game is not for you" is a legitimate, valid observation. I think Minecraft is boring, but I also recognise its various game systems are aimless objectives are not built for someone like me. Animal Crossing can get pretty boring, and I know many people who don't see the appeal, because in practice what do you do? There's no challenge in Animal Crossing. It's just emulating day-to-day stuff with cute animals, no real objective other than the ones you make yourself. Flight Simulator is just flying a plane from point A to B.

Death Stranding is prime for being picked apart in how it works, how it does not, where it could be improved, etc. If I had to pluck one non-narrative related criticism out of thin air, it would be that I think it's a bit too easy most of the time, for a multitude of reasons (generosity of online content sharing, usefulness of the gear, etc). But, to the game's credit, it sticks to its formula and has built all game systems around this. Yes, it's a walking simulator. You're a sci fi postman. You just deliver shit. But every facet in the game is built around this activity, an activity that is central to the gameplay loop. And it's okay if this "isn't for you", because that is a valid observation. For those who do enjoy this gameplay loop, Death Stranding is everything.

Not every game needs to appeal to everyone. Not everyone is going to find every gameplay loop of every genre enjoyable. It's okay for games to branch out and try a different approach to interactivity, and maybe in doing so will craft an experience that some people do resonate really well with. A lot of people are going to go apeshit over the new Flight Simulator because for them the thrill comes from literally just...flying a plane, mastering the physics, and all the real world emulation of technicalities. But I can also guarantee that a vast, vast majority of Era is going to find it boring as shit because all you do is fly planes. Disco Elysium is easily one of the best games this year, and one of the best RPGs of all time. But deep down I know fundamentally that no amount of wonderfully inventive, stimulating writing and brilliantly interwoven skill checks into text-based dialogue and event progression is going to sway people who are more drawn to Skyrim as their ideal RPG.

Death Stranding is great. You deliver stuff and walking or driving from A to B is satisfyingly engaging. It cleverly interweaves assorted environmental hazards alongside the topography variances to ensure you're always paying attention to manage your tools, stamina, weight distribution, inclines/declines, surface types, threats (BTs and MULES), etc. And I feel super rewarded when I get from A to B because I enjoyed the interactive journey there, and the visual/audio splendour on the way. There's this one mission towards the end of a mid game chapter which pissed people off because they saw it as pointless backtracking and it was more or less the breaking point of the game for them. I did the entire journey manually on foot and enjoyed every single second, from the music track kicking in at the start, the almost uncannily placed hotspring break halfway through the trek, the shift from grassy flat topography to stone and then snowy mountains, the passive dialogue connecting the two characters, and its conclusion. It all came together for what I felt was a marvellous interactive experience.

Even so, I still wouldn't readily recommend the game to people, not without detailing the game systems first. I've had two mates ask me if I think they'd like it. I told them they wouldn't, because I'm confident they wouldn't, though have offered to loan them the game when I'm done so they can try it out. It's the kind of game that I think does its unique gameplay loop far better than it has any right to. It accomplishes a lot of what I enjoy about certain interactive experiences. It was doomed to never appeal to everyone and I can totally appreciate when people play it and hate it. And that's okay, because I'm just glad it exists.
Good lord what a beautiful post .

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
There's not liking something, then there's claiming false aspects of a game that are completely explained and conveyed to the player.

If the player chooses to ignore the rules of the game, the aspect of the mechanics and the the details of story (which Dunkey has chosen to do here, and has done before) then I will absolutely call out them out for "shitposting" and "clickbaiting" nature of their videos.

Its a pretty simple explanation. You can validly not like something without using piss poor examples to prove your case, something Dunkey seems to be marvelous at overlooking.

My take on the video was that he was bored with the game and tried to fuck around in it, not that he was playing "wrong" the entire time.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
lol, no, your opinion of BotW here is nothing more than an opinion.

So you don't do research to prepare yourself in life? The information you gained from education was worthless? Your life experiences to teach you the mistakes to avoid in the future was worthless? You really aren't thinking through what I'm conveying here about information dissemination.

Games are designed to varying degrees ranging from perfect information (Into the breach) and zero information (rogue). People are usually better off with more information available but games experiment with concealing it with the hope of making a fun experience in reacting to the unexpected.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So you don't do research to prepare yourself in life? The information you gained from education was worthless? Your life experiences to teach you the mistakes to avoid in the future was worthless? You really aren't thinking through what I'm conveying here about information dissemination.

Games are designed to varying degrees ranging from perfect information (Into the breach) and zero information (rogue). People are usually better off with more information available but games experiment with concealing it with the hope of making a fun experience in reacting to the unexpected.
None of that has anything to do with your subjective opinion of the mechanics of two video games.

My take on the video was that he was bored with the game and tried to fuck around in it, not that he was playing "wrong" the entire time.
And of course you ignore the fact you read my post wrong, and just move along... why can't some of you just say "my bad"?

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
None of that has anything to do with your subjective opinion of the mechanics of two video games.

In BOTW the ability to glide past or climb up various obstacles requires careful management of your stamina. You know to a high degree how far you can go before failing because of the stamina bar. With Death Stranding there are prompts to help you overcome specific obstacles but by and large you have to play a balancing game while moving and if you want to move more quickly the more difficult it is too move without tripping. If there was a balance bar displayed that would be the equivalent of BOTW's stamina bar.

With that type of UI tool players have less information and will make worse decisions in how they move Sam which will lead to more frustrating experiences beyond their control.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
In BOTW the ability to glide past or climb up various obstacles requires careful management of your stamina. You know to a high degree how far you can go before failing because of the stamina bar. With Death Stranding there are prompts to help you overcome specific obstacles but by and large you have to play a balancing game while moving and if you want to move more quickly the more difficult it is too move without tripping. If there was a balance bar displayed that would be the equivalent of BOTW's stamina bar.

With that type of UI tool players have less information and will make worse decisions in how they move Sam which will lead to more frustrating experiences beyond their control.

Have you played the game, may I ask?

Death Stranding is super consistent and tight with all of its mechanics. If you fall, YOU have made a mistake. Terrain is clearly marked via a scan and ALWAYS behaves the same way when you perform an action crossing it, and the tools you have ALWAYS produce the same results when you use them as a solution to that terrain.

The game very clearly shows you exactly what you need to do to consistently overcome the obstacles, the mechanics are tight and polished. Videos of people ignoring them like Dunky's do not convey this.

He exaggerated some stuff for comedy, some of you need to calm down. Perpetuating outrage culture? No.
Look, Dunky's comedy is fine. He does this to ham up for all games he plays, and it's perfectly okay.

The thing we're highlighting is that there IS a lot of hyperbolic negativity surrounding this game.

Kojima's self indulgence and importance, the calls of "new genre", the divisive nature of the gameplay focus itself, the fact the game inhabits the AAA space which is most often reserved for more obvious and straight forward gameplay and the fact this game is not going to appeal to everyone for a huge amount of perfectly valid reasons.

As someone above said, this creates a perfect storm for hyperbole, and Dunky's usual hyperbolic "bad gameplay for lols" is having more of an effect here than it usually does due to the divisive nature of the gameplay focus.

And the reason some of us are a little bummed by this is that many of us WERE the players who thought this looked bad, and the fact the OT is full of people just like us who would have watched Dunky's video and had our negative option reinforced. Even though we know it's comedy first and foremost, there is a thread of genuine dislike running throughout his video that is conveyed overtly, and that disliek is fine in itself but mixed with the hyperoble it helps muddy online discourse.

And we find this a shame because his video will be, for many, the final nail in the coffin. And many people who might have been just like us, players who were entirely put off by the footage and reviews who ended up finding a game we love despite all the flaws... the fact this game is doing something unique in the AAA space. The fact Kojima even gets to do what he does with the budgets he commands...

I mean, there are examples of posters ITT saying things like "this video conveys the reasons why I know I won't like this game", and that is the issue we're highlighting.

Gaming is better because of developers like Kojima who have a vision outside of the standard, and while it is 100% okay for you to play and dislike Death Stranding, or Kojima's games in general, and I can fully understand a lot of the more negative opinions, this is a game that really needs to be played to see if YOU will get it. And a lot of players who might have found something they thought special will likely never try it because of hyperbole like Dunky's video.

And we just think it 's a shame, because games like this don't happen often in AAA and too many people have been convinced they would hate it then tried it and loved it.

Dec 6, 2017
US

No I get that part but myself, along with many others, who really dig the game have clarified in painstaking detail what it is they find so appealing about the game. Not that I expect you to read all my posts, you didn't even talk to me directly, but as for myself, I'm well aware the dialog and characters are fucking asinine but it's not something that remotely factors into my enjoyment of games. I know it's C-grade Hollywood pastiche schlock juxtaposed with legit amazing world building and environmental storytelling, it's just that it doesn't impact me whatsoever. I grew up with story justifications like "oh no, someone kidnapped your girl, go fist-fight". I wager there are tons of players out there with the same take on Kojima's entertaining-yet-silly-and-fun story antics.

I don't get why the idea that some people just don't care if cutscenes are goofy is disturbing. I also don't understand why people expected a really serious, grounded philosophical treatise from a dude who continuously throughout his career, including this very game, had at the very least a handful of shit, piss and fart jokes in his games. In this game your weapons fighting otherwordly Silent Hill apparitions are...piss and shit and shower water grenades...and you can literally equip your cock and use the "fire" trigger to piss while a fucking baby strapped to your stomach giggles through your controller. I truly think players take Kojima's antics way more seriously than he does by a long stretch. And don't even get me started on the obviously silly ass character names, I think he's just having fun.

I just don't see the big difference here to his previous work in terms of silliness or juxtaposition of silliness and beautiful atmosphere and so on. In general, this game is typical, pure Kojima to me the more I play it and like I said, I seriously only rented it because I wanted to see just how shitty this game really is because the videos looked so fucking boring.

And again, I'm not trying to convince you or whatever, or even others, I just think the meme-level mockery this game is receiving is misguided and getting more and more ridiculous. It's a "thing" now and while I was on that bash train at first, I'm not saying everyone should love it just because I ended up doing so but it deserves way more of a chance than a lot of people are willing to give it, especially on a super-nerdy enthusiast forum like ERA.

Edit: Just to add, I'm fully aware Kojima's dumb ass marketing and Twitter shitposting largely contributed to this.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
No I get that part but myself, along with many others, who really dig the game have clarified in painstaking detail what it is they find so appealing about the game. Not that I expect you to read all my posts, you didn't even talk to me directly, but as for myself, I'm well aware the dialog and characters are fucking asinine but it's not something that remotely factors into my enjoyment of games. I know it's C-grade Hollywood pastiche schlock juxtaposed with legit amazing world building and environmental storytelling, it's just that it doesn't impact me whatsoever. I grew up with story justifications like "oh no, someone kidnapped your girl, go fist-fight". I wager there are tons of players out there with the same take on Kojima's entertaining-yet-silly-and-fun story antics.

I don't get why the idea that some people just don't care if cutscenes are goofy is disturbing. I also don't understand why people expected a really serious, grounded philosophical treatise from a dude who continuously throughout his career, including this very game, had at the very least a handful of shit, piss and fart jokes in his games. In this game your weapons fighting otherwordly Silent Hill apparitions are...piss and shit and shower water grenades...and you can literally equip your cock and use the "fire" trigger to piss while a fucking baby strapped to your stomach giggles through your controller. I truly think players take Kojima's antics way more seriously than he does by a long stretch. And don't even get me started on the obviously silly ass character names, I think he's just having fun.

I just don't see the big difference here to his previous work in terms of silliness or juxtaposition of silliness and beautiful atmosphere and so on. In general, this game is typical, pure Kojima to me the more I play it and like I said, I seriously only rented it because I wanted to see just how shitty this game really is because the videos looked so fucking boring.

And again, I'm not trying to convince you or whatever, or even others, I just think the meme-level mockery this game is receiving is misguided and getting more and more ridiculous. It's a "thing" now and while I was on that bash train at first, I'm not saying everyone should love it just because I ended up doing so but it deserves way more of a chance than a lot of people are willing to give it, especially on a super-nerdy enthusiast forum like ERA.

Edit: Just to add, I'm fully aware Kojima's dumb ass marketing and Twitter shitposting largely contributed to this.
This, 100%.

definedMF

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto Canada
Then the framing of the entire video doesn't necessarily convey that assumption of yours.

Also if he was so bored with, as much so to give it a 1/5, why see it to the end and make a video bashing on it unduly?

None of what he is saying in the video seems valid (despite peoples view on the writing). I personally never really had any issues withe gameplay loop and even when I tried doing wacky shit I didn't blame the game for anything because its not what the game is intended for and I don't expect it to do the wacky shit perfectly in a world where physics systems are very important to traversal.

Mathiassen

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
This video is so far from on point. Dunky is playing it badly on purpose, if you watch someone playing the game properly it looks nothing like this.

What would you say if you heard the OT is full of people who had the exact opinion you just expressed, then risked trying it regardless and found they loved it?

It's perfectly okay to not try a game, not everything is for everyone, but this is absolutely a game that cannot be expressed via the traditional means of observing gameplay footage. It really, really does need to be played for you to see if it will click for YOU.

I thought it looked incredibly boring and was quite aghast at the idea that Kojima had wasted an entire game on something like this... then I played it, and it clicked so hard the game has become my GotG.

Not trying to be pushy, merely attempting to convey how this game really does need to be played to be understood.

Are you saying he played it wrong? The game has horrible driving mechanics because it's animation based. There is no way to make a vehicle turn over or capsize no matter how hard you try. You ever tried jumping with the bikes? It's linear motion straight up. Feels like a keyframed animation instead of purely physics-based which feels so wrong compared to how you jump on foot. Another weird part with the bikes is reversing, it's like the longer you held the gas down the longer it takes for you to start going in reverse even though you're standing still! It makes no sense. It makes no sense.

All vehicles should have been removed from the game. They are horrible to drive, get stuck on absolutely everything, and are too useful making the only enjoyable mechanic; walking, pointless.