• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you enjoying Death Stranding?

• Yes its a great experience

Votes: 712 43.4%
  • No its a mess

Votes: 367 22.4%
  • I Have Mixed feelings

Votes: 207 12.6%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 354 21.6%

• Total voters

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I like his Videos when it´s obvious that they are meant to be funny and not to be taken serious.
This one gives me hard CinemaSins Vibes, which is to say it´s just dunking on the Game because of a conscious decision to not play it right/nipick/whatever.
I personally really like DS, but the game has some obivous flaws that can and should be adressed in a review geared towards the general audience (and under the assumption that most "casual players" probably play games for fun, which is not the main emotion DS wants to get across at least in the first hours). Intentionally misrepresenting Videos that act like objective Reviews do not help the critical discourse in any way, shape, or form though.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Lol played this with a friend release weekend for ~ 10 hours and honestly the highlights he shared for that portion would be the same I would for my experience with the game. The fact that he chose to focus on what he did means that the game didn't speak to him in the way it did to others AND that the parts he highlighted were the ones that stuck out to him most. Honestly surprised he didn't spend time on shaking BB.

I am still curious to see the game through so will chip away at it slowly so as to not get burnt out, but the last thing anyone should expect from Dunkey is an actual "review"

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
And that's not to dismiss people who dislike Death Stranding for its gameplay, or don't find it appealing, but there absolutely has to be a point where "This game is not for you" is a legitimate, valid observation. I think Minecraft is boring, but I also recognise its various game systems are aimless objectives are not built for someone like me. Animal Crossing can get pretty boring, and I know many people who don't see the appeal, because in practice what do you do? There's no challenge in Animal Crossing. It's just emulating day-to-day stuff with cute animals, no real objective other than the ones you make yourself. Flight Simulator is just flying a plane from point A to B.
"This game is not for you" is definitely a legitimate, valid observation, in I believe much more cases that one might believe at first glance (that is, I firmly believe it's valid for pretty much all games, basically).

This does not invalidate in any way some of the criticism which can be raised against the game.

I mean sure, some of the criticism may seem a bit off-topic and "this game is not for you" can very well be an appropriate answer. This still does not invalidate criticism which is always legitimate, out of a matter of principle. Because if some criticism isn't legitimate, who will state which criticism is legitimate, and which isn't?

Note: This is not a random potshot against Death Stranding, just general observations.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
"This game is not for you" is definitely a legitimate, valid observation, in I believe much more cases that one might believe at first glance (that is, I firmly believe it's valid for pretty much all games, basically).

This does not invalidate in any way some of the criticism which can be raised against the game.

I mean sure, some of the criticism may seem a bit off-topic and "this game is not for you" can very well be an appropriate answer. This still does not invalidate criticism which is always legitimate, out of a matter of principle. Because if some criticism isn't legitimate, who will state which criticism is legitimate, and which isn't?

Note: This is not a random potshot against Death Stranding, just general observations.

Death Stranding has a lot of problems, movement is not one of them and half of the video is basically complaining about that.

Combat and stealth are two aspects that are easy to target, writing too (this doesn't mean the story is not good tho).

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
That was definitely some cringey ass Kojima writing in that video. Can't believe there is a guy named Die-Hardman LMAO.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
I love Dunkey. That said, just because he didn´t like it personally, doesn´t mean that he should be so careless about spoilers in his footage of the game.

Going into Death Stranding unspoiled and the sense of discovery that goes with it is a large part of what makes the experience so engaging. To take that away from people yet to make up their own mind is a pity. He clearly disliked it so much, he figures no one will like it so he might as well spoil the whole thing. That's not the right way to go about it, in my opinion.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
So, it is an open world game that you can't play any way you want?
You absolutely can, but only certain ways are viable. This is the case for basically every open world game. You can try to kill the biggest enemies in Horizon Zero Dawn with the starter arrow types, for instance, but it's not going to work.

To be clear, though, you absolutely can subvert the game design by making clever use of its systems. Snowboard on a cargo carrier, or drive a bike over a ladder. But you can't subvert them to the extent that it basically trivialises the core of the game: navigating difficult terrain.

Oct 27, 2017
lol do you honestly believe developers are letting one YouTuber occupy space in their mind, let alone "despise" the man?

Why is it so far fetch? He potentially hurts the sales and marketing for some of these new released games with his verdicts.He has millions of fans and subscribers and is constantly trending when he puts out his videos for a new triple AAA title.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Why is it so far fetch? He potentially hurts the sales and marketing for some of these new released games with his verdicts.He has millions of fans and subscribers and is constantly trending when he puts out his videos for a new triple AAA title.
So ... you have a HUNCH that they despise him?

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I think this game is one of those love or hate it type affairs. I loved the shit out of the gameplay. Even the stuff in the early chapters was incredibly fun to me. My nephew who plays Destiny 24/7 even loved the game, which surprised me. I think of the game like Don't Starve. It's a game that tries to fuck you over, and I find that fun. It's not just run to the next marker while pushing up. You have to plan the route and I feel constantly engaged trying to balance and anticipate the terrain. I have to decide what equipment I'm going to bring, and sometimes I don't bring what I need and then some other player saves me with a climbing rope in just the right spot.

And it's not for everyone, which is fine. I've actually had a lot of fun watching the negative reviews. They can be pretty funny.

Now I will agree that the story is hot dog shit. There are some really good moments peppered about, but the narrative is such an opaque mess. The premise behind the game and some of the concepts are really good, but the way it was delivered was terrible.

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
30 seconds in this video and I'm done. I can't stand people playing a game stupidly the wrong way in order to make some points and grab attention. The game has a lot of depth and gameplay mechanics allowing you a lot of freedom depending on your preferences. The core of the game is still finding the best way to navigate into hostile environnement. That the game is divisive and not appealing to some folks, yeah I get it, but it is well crafted and a unique experience worth existing especially nowadays. It's not your jam ok, but it's not failure or an "everything is bad" game by any metric FFS.

Oct 28, 2017
My feelings are definitely mixed. I was completely hooked on this game all the way to the end (60+ hours playtime), the whole time never knowing whether I was enjoying my time with it or not. Then when I finished it I felt like the story was so nonsensical that it was bothering me to know that it even took up space in my brain. I still don't know whether I liked it overall, I just know it kept me hooked in spite of the brain-space-wasting story.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Some of y'all need to realize the goofy homage shit like Die-Hardman's real name is just Kojma goofing off, not trying to be "deep". He's always loved making playful references to action films, which were one of the main inspirations for him when he began his career.

Some of this stuff that you find so appallingly cringworthy is the exact kind of playful fun I adore in Kojima games, and have done ever since I played MGS for the first time.

Die-Hardman and his real name.
People's metaphor heavy code names in general.
Wiki dive style references.
Characters breaking the forth wall.
Characters doing utterly goofy shit.
Etc...

This stuff is a huge part of the reason I adore Kojima 's games.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dunkey is free to have his opinion but the footage he captured clearly represents someone intentionally creating big, viral moments that don't represent the experience of playing it. But, I mean, that's Dunkey.

I will take issue with his thoughts on the story. Part of Kojima's weird blend is this... camp meets existentialism. It reminds me a lot of John Carpenter. The goofy shit is a feature not a bug.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
Some of y'all need to realize the goofy homage shit like Die-Hardman's real name is just Kojma goofing off, not trying to be "deep". He's always loved making playful references to action films, which were one of the main inspirations for him when he began his career.

Some of this stuff that you find so appallingly cringworthy is the exact kind of playful fun I adore in Kojima games, and have done ever since I played MGS for the first time.

Die-Hardman and his real name.
People's metaphor heavy code names in general.
Wiki dive style references.
Characters breaking the forth wall.
Characters doing utterly goofy shit.
Etc...

This stuff is a huge part of the reason I adore Kojima 's games.

People do realize this that it's goofy and they hate it. And this is why some people hate Kojima's games. 🤷 Also, it's tonally dissonant within the context and atmosphere from the game itself. What is the point of giving goofy names in the context of a serious, dramatic plot such as Death Stranding?

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Agree with his opinion. I just wanted to skip the gameplay to see the camp and pretentiousness of it all. But after a couple of hours I was done.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Surprised by the amount of people complaining about spoilers in this video. If I don't want something spoiled, I definitely don't watch a review video about it. I don't think that's on Dunkey.

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
I find the gameplay in Death Stranding to be very addictive and completely fresh, unlike anything else I played

Believe me, I am glad you are enjoying it, but I honestly don't know what to think when I read statements like this.

Making a third person character walk is not fresh gameplay. Nor is walking with a third person character who is encumbered. I don't think pressing a button to lean or balance should be praised like it's some revolutionary leap in game design. Micromanaging inventory and stability with towers on a character's back is something. I just don't know what.

The boring argument isn't really fair. There are millions of people who loved the first metal gear and it was almost universally praised by gaming critics of the time. That game started one of the longest and most popular franchises gaming history. It's the reason why Kojima is relevant. I don't think it's accurate to say that "many" people thought that game was boring.

Kojima gained popularity because he was making cinematic games with stories and characters (no matter how stupid they are) when other games weren't. He was there at the right time and place to provide juvenile stories for juveniles when gaming was just started to grow into 3D storytelling. I can admit that I thought his stories were cool when I was a child. He's like the person who posts nonsensical inspirational quotes on social media and actually believes in them. I was happy to tolerate his "deep" ideas in MGS4 and MGS5 when I realized how fucking stupid his writing and characters were because the gameplay was great. Death stranding is all the worst of Kojima's high school level writing combined with terrible gameplay that he wants people to think is more than what it is.

The fact that 45% of voters think that DS is a "great experience" is disturbing.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
People do realize this that it's goofy and they hate it. And this is why some people hate Kojima's games. 🤷 Also, it's tonally dissonant within the context and atmosphere from the game itself. What is the point of giving goofy names in the context of a serious, dramatic plot such as Death Stranding?
No, some people do realize. There are comments all over Era threads from people who say this shit is Kojima trying to be "deep and clever" and failing when pointing at his goofing off specifically. There are more suitable things to aim at to make that specific point.

The absurdity of it, the playfulness, it is something I personally find utterly charming. His style is really unique in this regard and I don't know why anyone who has played his previous games would expect anything else.

You're free to dislike it, of course.

Onikage

Feb 21, 2018
I like the way Angry Joe described the game.
"If you are not in the mood, if you are not interested in this kind of world and setting, and if you are not willing to roleplay a little, don't bother. But if you are, go for it!".

I think this is the biggest problem.
This game was made for people that like that kind of setting and are willing to invest.
But there are a lot of people scoring it based on different genres. They play it completely wrong and end up giving really unfair scores.

If I don't like reading a lot, and hate the wild west setting, I should not play an wild west point and click visual novel and give it a 0 because it is not like GTA.
It is like giving Journey a 0 because there is no fighting.

And it makes me sad, because it is so rare to have different games like that.
People that don't like this type of slow burn role-playing journey oriented games already have plenty of normal AAA action games to play.
Don't destroy rare games reputation for free like that... It is ok to not be the targeted market for once.

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, you are describing tons of streamers.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
The issue with discourse surrounding Death Stranding is how we quantify a bad playing game and one that simply built around a gameplay loop that does not have broad appeal. It's an observation that can be applied to an assortment of games and genres, and this weird fixation gamers have on a game appealing to the widest group of people in order for it to somehow be good. And I think part of the issue with Death Stranding is that Kojima has come off the back of Metal Gear Solid, a series spanning well over a decade that embraces scenario driven climatic stealth and action, that has appealed to millions for its admittedly comfortable and predictable gameplay loops.

And that's not to dismiss people who dislike Death Stranding for its gameplay, or don't find it appealing, but there absolutely has to be a point where "This game is not for you" is a legitimate, valid observation. I think Minecraft is boring, but I also recognise its various game systems are aimless objectives are not built for someone like me. Animal Crossing can get pretty boring, and I know many people who don't see the appeal, because in practice what do you do? There's no challenge in Animal Crossing. It's just emulating day-to-day stuff with cute animals, no real objective other than the ones you make yourself. Flight Simulator is just flying a plane from point A to B.

Death Stranding is prime for being picked apart in how it works, how it does not, where it could be improved, etc. If I had to pluck one non-narrative related criticism out of thin air, it would be that I think it's a bit too easy most of the time, for a multitude of reasons (generosity of online content sharing, usefulness of the gear, etc). But, to the game's credit, it sticks to its formula and has built all game systems around this. Yes, it's a walking simulator. You're a sci fi postman. You just deliver shit. But every facet in the game is built around this activity, an activity that is central to the gameplay loop. And it's okay if this "isn't for you", because that is a valid observation. For those who do enjoy this gameplay loop, Death Stranding is everything.

Not every game needs to appeal to everyone. Not everyone is going to find every gameplay loop of every genre enjoyable. It's okay for games to branch out and try a different approach to interactivity, and maybe in doing so will craft an experience that some people do resonate really well with. A lot of people are going to go apeshit over the new Flight Simulator because for them the thrill comes from literally just...flying a plane, mastering the physics, and all the real world emulation of technicalities. But I can also guarantee that a vast, vast majority of Era is going to find it boring as shit because all you do is fly planes. Disco Elysium is easily one of the best games this year, and one of the best RPGs of all time. But deep down I know fundamentally that no amount of wonderfully inventive, stimulating writing and brilliantly interwoven skill checks into text-based dialogue and event progression is going to sway people who are more drawn to Skyrim as their ideal RPG.

Death Stranding is great. You deliver stuff and walking or driving from A to B is satisfyingly engaging. It cleverly interweaves assorted environmental hazards alongside the topography variances to ensure you're always paying attention to manage your tools, stamina, weight distribution, inclines/declines, surface types, threats (BTs and MULES), etc. And I feel super rewarded when I get from A to B because I enjoyed the interactive journey there, and the visual/audio splendour on the way. There's this one mission towards the end of a mid game chapter which pissed people off because they saw it as pointless backtracking and it was more or less the breaking point of the game for them. I did the entire journey manually on foot and enjoyed every single second, from the music track kicking in at the start, the almost uncannily placed hotspring break halfway through the trek, the shift from grassy flat topography to stone and then snowy mountains, the passive dialogue connecting the two characters, and its conclusion. It all came together for what I felt was a marvellous interactive experience.

Even so, I still wouldn't readily recommend the game to people, not without detailing the game systems first. I've had two mates ask me if I think they'd like it. I told them they wouldn't, because I'm confident they wouldn't, though have offered to loan them the game when I'm done so they can try it out. It's the kind of game that I think does its unique gameplay loop far better than it has any right to. It accomplishes a lot of what I enjoy about certain interactive experiences. It was doomed to never appeal to everyone and I can totally appreciate when people play it and hate it. And that's okay, because I'm just glad it exists.

Bravo sir, well said.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yes its a great experience
Votes: 426 45.0%

No its a mess
Votes: 221 23.4%

Well done, Era

<3

Believe me, I am glad you are enjoying it, but I honestly don't know what to think when I read statements like this.

Why don't you know what to think?

The gameplay is very unique and fresh, especially in the AAA space. Kojima Pro has brought the depth of mechanics that MGSV had for combat... to hiking. he's brought the planning of a loadout for combat encounters to... planning a delivery route. Other games have you traversing and managing becoming encumbered, but never to this level of detail and depth of mechanics. And THAT is the unique thing, the core focus of the game is something that is a means to an end in almost every other game that inhabits this space.

The entire thing is utterly unique in the AAA space, and even outside it is a unique game overall. The multiplayer aspects also make the game world feel alive in a way that open worlds populated with actual players fail to achieve.

Mad_Titan86

Banned
Nov 4, 2019
The issue with discourse surrounding Death Stranding is how we quantify a bad playing game and one that simply built around a gameplay loop that does not have broad appeal. It's an observation that can be applied to an assortment of games and genres, and this weird fixation gamers have on a game appealing to the widest group of people in order for it to somehow be good. And I think part of the issue with Death Stranding is that Kojima has come off the back of Metal Gear Solid, a series spanning well over a decade that embraces scenario driven climatic stealth and action, that has appealed to millions for its admittedly comfortable and predictable gameplay loops.

Death Stranding is prime for being picked apart in how it works, how it does not, where it could be improved, etc. If I had to pluck one non-narrative related criticism out of thin air, it would be that I think it's a bit too easy most of the time, for a multitude of reasons (generosity of online content sharing, usefulness of the gear, etc). But, to the game's credit, it sticks to its formula and has built all game systems around this. Yes, it's a walking simulator. You're a sci fi postman. You just deliver shit. But every facet in the game is built around this activity, an activity that is central to the gameplay loop. And it's okay if this "isn't for you", because that is a valid observation. For those who do enjoy this gameplay loop, Death Stranding is everything.

Not every game needs to appeal to everyone. Not everyone is going to find every gameplay loop of every genre enjoyable. It's okay for games to branch out and try a different approach to interactivity, and maybe in doing so will craft an experience that some people do resonate really well with. A lot of people are going to go apeshit over the new Flight Simulator because for them the thrill comes from literally just...flying a plane, mastering the physics, and all the real world emulation of technicalities. But I can also guarantee that a vast, vast majority of Era is going to find it boring as shit because all you do is fly planes. Disco Elysium is easily one of the best games this year, and one of the best RPGs of all time. But deep down I know fundamentally that no amount of wonderfully inventive, stimulating writing and brilliantly interwoven skill checks into text-based dialogue and event progression is going to sway people who are more drawn to Skyrim as their ideal RPG.

Death Stranding is great. You deliver stuff and walking or driving from A to B is satisfyingly engaging. It cleverly interweaves assorted environmental hazards alongside the topography variances to ensure you're always paying attention to manage your tools, stamina, weight distribution, inclines/declines, surface types, threats (BTs and MULES), etc. And I feel super rewarded when I get from A to B because I enjoyed the interactive journey there, and the visual/audio splendour on the way. There's this one mission towards the end of a mid game chapter which pissed people off because they saw it as pointless backtracking and it was more or less the breaking point of the game for them. I did the entire journey manually on foot and enjoyed every single second, from the music track kicking in at the start, the almost uncannily placed hotspring break halfway through the trek, the shift from grassy flat topography to stone and then snowy mountains, the passive dialogue connecting the two characters, and its conclusion. It all came together for what I felt was a marvellous interactive experience.

Even so, I still wouldn't readily recommend the game to people, not without detailing the game systems first. I've had two mates ask me if I think they'd like it. I told them they wouldn't, because I'm confident they wouldn't, though have offered to loan them the game when I'm done so they can try it out. It's the kind of game that I think does its unique gameplay loop far better than it has any right to. It accomplishes a lot of what I enjoy about certain interactive experiences. It was doomed to never appeal to everyone and I can totally appreciate when people play it and hate it. And that's okay, because I'm just glad it exists.
Best post

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan

Not related to the discussion but I just want to say that I really love Assassin's Creed Origins and I now appreciate Ubisoft a lot more because of it, it's such an amazing experience and I really wish the next AC (rumored to be Viking Age) has the same quality.

Odyssey was a downgrade compared to Origins when in comes to running & parkour animation and little details such as dust no longer kicking up when walking/running on sand or character longer gets wet when coming out of water etc.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
The fact that 45% of voters think that DS is a "great experience" is disturbing.

It really isn't as it's inconsequential in every way whether people like Death Stranding or not. Your Favorite Game Company isn't going to stop making Your Favorite Genre just because Death Stranding resonates with a lot of people. The only reason it'd be disturbing is if you demand everyone's appeal is linked to your taste curation, which would be absurd. It also makes your first sentence pretty hollow. "I'm glad you're enjoying it but it disturbs me so many are." What?

As for the "revolutionary" aspect, the way Death Stranding is revolutionary is how it integrates the "strand" aspect of the experience expertly with the desolate isolation of the delivery gameplay loop to make the process feel rewarding and meaningful. Not just the end result as if the only meaningful reward is a sick gun skin or dancing emote at the end of it. But the process itself, the journey. Logging in and seeing someone used my Timefall Shelter and gave me Likes for it is rewarding, not just because I got Likes, but because I know someone out there had the exact same rough time on a mission and thought "a Timefall shelter needs to be here" and I rectified that for them.

About "walking": You begin de-powered, but this only serves to make upgrades and social structures feel as great as they do. You talk about managing towers on one's back and leaning, as if leaning is an issue for anyone actually engaging with the gameplay systems: there are methods to eliminate leaning-as-conflict through button inputs (L2+R2) and through unlocks such as floating carriers and trucks and ziplines. Leaning and falling are only issues to those who truly don't give a shit about the actual process of making a delivery and only want the reward at the end. Managing your cargo through proper equipment and route planning means that "leaning" is barely ever a blip on my radar. It becomes second nature to manage.

And if I'm being honest, I feel almost nostalgic towards the first few chapters now. With so many tools to manage deliveries at my disposal, I know the days of only having ladders and ropes is something I'll never get back, so I'm glad I did have those "in mah day" chapters.

None of this is to say YOU have to care about Death Stranding at all, in the same way I don't give a flying fuck about isometric RPGs and hate the experience of virtually every one I play. What I don't do, however, is judge those games or the people that play them as anything other than a subgenre community that I'm glad exists but don't particularly care to join.