• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you enjoying Death Stranding?

• Yes its a great experience

Votes: 712 43.4%
  • No its a mess

Votes: 367 22.4%
  • I Have Mixed feelings

Votes: 207 12.6%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 354 21.6%

• Total voters

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Climbing in zelda is not really that fun or more fun that death stranding climbing because it doesn't request any fucking skill because You are always full of stamina potion that you can drink from a menu...it's literally pressing forward with the gamepad stick...
Now we're making shit up huh
Almost 3 years later and the salt is still flowing

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
What a bizarre thing to do. You essentially ruined the game for yourself pre-emptively. Guessing you don't have a PS4?

Video game narratives aren't like movies, they're contextually held together by the gameplay, the dialogue and exchanges in that gameplay, the back story, lore drops and actions interwoven between cutscenes, the messages, emails etc that the cutscenes alone will not delve into or will not contextually relay.

Add to that, you can't deride a game for being a janky mess without ever having played it. That's just disingenuous. Death Stranding is one of the more polished AAA experiences to come out in recent times, especially against stuff like Gears 5, Days Gone etc, that had bugs, animation mishaps and even game breaking glitches.

Also, out of curiosity who are these people in the industry that you trust?

Don't waste your time, I remember that poster from the Days Gone threads earlier this year.
Got everyone in the OT riled up with that "4D chess concern trolling" schtick.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Have we played the same game?

Because in that game you climb a shitload of times diring exploration or for getting from A to B and stamina is the only thing that you have to watch so i really don't understand what are you saying...

I used stamina potion every time i was climbing if the stamina was not enough...for tower and mountains or everything really...

Climbing in zelda is not really that fun or more fun that death stranding climbing because it doesn't request any fucking skill because You are always full of stamina potion that you can drink from a menu...it's literally pressing forward with the gamepad stick...
Im saying I never used stamina potions to get places unless I decided to brute force it. They weren't necessary.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I applaud them for honesty, while I think it does indeed look a little boring and pretentious even I wouldn't give it that score. It looks like a 6.5/10 for me. Above-average but an acquired taste to get a higher score.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Haven't followed this game at all, but is the gameplay really you walking around with a big backpack from point a to b?

Yes, but users here told me that playing it is different than watching it and the feeling of serenity and isolation is unique.

It's a love it or get bored from it kinda game.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
Have we played the same game?

Because in that game you climb a shitload of times diring exploration or for getting from A to B and stamina is the only thing that you have to watch so i really don't understand what are you saying...

I used stamina potion every time i was climbing if the stamina was not enough...for tower and mountains or everything really...

I don't think that's true of the early to mid game of BOTW at all. I spent tons of time watching my stamina and watching out for footholds where I could recover while climbing mountains.

As you progress, sure, you have lots of stuff that can boost stamina but that's a deliberate feeling of empowerment as you progress.

By contrast, I climbed a massive mountain in chapter 3 of Death Stranding by just holding LT+RT+X without ever having to manage my stamina or watch out for places to rest. The only time I ever find I need to worry about stamina in DS is when I'm crossing a river.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol you are full of food and stamina things if you explore even a little bit, i bought a switch for that game, you are talking with the wrong person my friend.
You seems far more salty than me tbh.
No food restores stamina, only crafted shit
Yeah you'll be full of stamina recovering potions if you specifically farm for their ingredients and spend time crafting them

Estro

Jul 17, 2019
I was fully expecting him to hate it, but can't say I agree. This is the best game Kojima has done since MGS3, I'm utterly entranced.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
DS is an incredibly well made game with a depth of options and mechanics that we rarely see in today's streamlined gaming world, but the gameplay loop can be laborious as fuck sometimes (and I say this as someone who loves just wandering around and exploring) and the story is peak Kojima unfiltered and unchained.

What DS really accomplishes for me is to showcase just how incredible the Decima engine is.

storophanthus

Nov 27, 2018
Agree with him, except the story... not great storywise, but okay.

This should be a TV-Series, not a video game. <- my opinion.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
No food restores stamina, only crafted shit
Yeah you'll be full of stamina recovering potions if you specifically farm for their ingredients and spend time crafting them
Never farmed anything, you have a tons just by exploring the world, the game is not shy in terms of food and shit to mix by any means...
And food or crafted shit doesnt really change the concept of what i was saying.

My point was, why zelda climbing is fun? Or more fun than ds climbing? It's factually wrong and i was originally talking about what dunkey said in his review, it pull me out of every thing he has to say about the game...

Like when jim sterling said that knack 2 controls and combat are unprecise, i can't take seriously someone who said something so factually wrong...

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
How are the traversal options in the game, the route planning/optimizing and the whole world design plus the asynchronous coop poor or bad? It's fine that you didn't like it. But saying it's bad is like saying Destiny has poor gunplay just because I suck at it.

The main problem of the traversal is the total lack of challenge that makes many of the traversal options almost irrelevant, and how the ones that are relevant make the traversal irrelevant (zip lines) which made the game lacks the reward it should have for a game that it's about moving from one place to other. Also, what should be some key and rewarding mechanics for the traversal like the vehicles make the experience even worse because of their poor gameplay and physics in relation to the terrain.

Interrumping the traversal with shit combat that it's just there to make everything slower than it is, it's not a great decision either and just everything more tedious than it should.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
What a bizarre thing to do. You essentially ruined the game for yourself pre-emptively. Guessing you don't have a PS4?

Video game narratives aren't like movies, they're contextually held together by the gameplay, the dialogue and exchanges in that gameplay, the back story, lore drops and actions interwoven between cutscenes, the messages, emails, holograms etc that the cutscenes alone will not delve into or will not contextually relay.

Add to that, you can't deride DS for being a janky mess without ever having played it. That's just disingenuous. Death Stranding is actually a really polished AAA experience, especially against stuff like Gears 5, Days Gone etc, that had their fair share of bugs, animation mishaps and even game breaking glitches.

Also, out of curiosity who are these people in the industry that you trust?

I know video games should be experienced, I've been playing them for over 30 years but in the case of death stranding ive seen no evidence of the cut scenes and gameplay really bringing it together.

The 9 hours of cutscenes I watched could be summed up in a couple of sentences. I dont believe I'm the only person who takes issue with the games story and how much it beats you over the head with exposition dumps.

I for one am someone who genuinely believes I'll enjoy the gameplay over the god awful story I witnessed.

People I trust are giantbomb, easy allies, 8 4 play, angry joe, twitch streamer cohcarnage. I actually lean towards dunkey too because he is all about classic fluid gameplay. I grew up on Mario as well.

I'm more with vinny and Brad from giant bomb on ds

I've said it multiple times. I'm glad the game exists. I want more games from kojima just a little more filtered.

As an older geek the tech side of the game, the design, all of that absolutely sings to me.

Sorry if this post comes off as scrappy ivd been on my phone all morning so posts may seem a little short/hot take.

Really appreciate your response

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
great video....I'm a lifetime gamer and this video highlights my issues completely. The game is a janky horrible mess....can't wait to see all the people say he was playing it wrong and his opinion is incorrect.

I'm happy people have the time to play this disjointed mess. I'm convinced that the game and cutscenes came together from two completely different sources. He just wanted to slap these actors together and talk shit forever.

It's an insult to peoples time to not respect when someone can look at something and just say no, not for me. there are so many good games out there, and amazing movies that you could play and watch instead of this game.

Highlights your concerns.

you can't have issues...... you never even played the game. your posts are like concern trolling

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
How are the traversal options in the game, the route planning/optimizing and the whole world design plus the asynchronous coop poor or bad? It's fine that you didn't like it. But saying it's bad is like saying Destiny has poor gunplay just because I suck at it.
Unless you do optional content, the route planning/optimizing is only a thing during the first 2 chapters or so. The leg skeletons and later the ziplines are too unbalanced (superior to any other option) that there's no need to plan anything tbh. And if you want to finish some quest fast you always have the bike than can climb almost any terrain if you know how to abuse it. The world design was nothing to write about either, there's dozes of open world games that do it better. I agree that the coop is something really good and unique, but everything else is really shallow (again, I completed only the main quest and about 7-8 optional deliveries).

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's true of the early to mid game of BOTW at all. I spent tons of time watching my stamina and watching out for footholds where I could recover while climbing mountains.

As you progress, sure, you have lots of stuff that can boost stamina but that's a deliberate feeling of empowerment as you progress.

By contrast, I climbed a massive mountain in chapter 3 of Death Stranding by just holding LT+RT+X without ever having to manage my stamina or watch out for places to rest. The only time I ever find I need to worry about stamina in DS is when I'm crossing a river.

You can stand still in a river to regain your stamina, so that can also be trivialized.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Highlights your concerns.

you can't have issues...... you never even played the game. your posts are like concern trolling

So I cant discuss issues that I believe will resonate with me.

I cant comment on the hours of cutscenes I watched just like anyone who played the game? There is no difference to watching the cutscenes on a stream than natively on a ps4.

Please do not try and label my points as concern trolling. It is far from that.

Oct 27, 2017
Haha yeah I caught this bullshit too. The game is constantly giving you new and interesting ways to interact with the world. It's really tiresome how transparent those who haven't actually played the game, or did not actually play it on its terms.
Yup. Can't really take Dunkview seriously after he called TLOU characters boring and story generic, and gameplay boring. He has a very specific taste.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know video games should be experienced, I've been playing them for over 30 years but in the case of death stranding ive seen no evidence of the cut scenes and gameplay really bringing it together.

The 9 hours of cutscenes I watched could be summed up in a couple of sentences. I dont believe I'm the only person who takes issue with the games story and how much it beats you over the head with exposition dumps.

I for one am someone who genuinely believes I'll enjoy the gameplay over the god awful story I witnessed.

People I trust are giantbomb, easy allies, 8 4 play, angry joe, twitch streamer cohcarnage. I actually lean towards dunkey too because he is all about classic fluid gameplay. I grew up on Mario as well.

I'm more with vinny and Brad from giant bomb on ds

I've said it multiple times. I'm glad the game exists. I want more games from kojima just a little more filtered.

As an older geek the tech side of the game, the design, all of that absolutely sings to me.

Sorry if this post comes off as scrappy ivd been on my phone all morning so posts may seem a little short/hot take.

Really appreciate your response

Firstly, obviously you haven't seen evidence that the gameplay and cutscenes contextualise each other because you haven't actually played the game, which ultimately makes your points even more amusing.

Also, some of you people you listed enjoyed Death Stranding. But even then, you've listed such a wide variance of outlets that there's going to be lots of contention. A couple from GB disliked RDR2, whilst to you it was one of the best games ever made. Some or many of the outlets you listed disliked Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves, but you enjoyed both.

Point is, rather than solely relying on others to dictate what you do or do not enjoy, or what you may or may not enjoy, perhaps play it yourself before forming such a heavy handed impression, especially for a game like Death Stranding which has been fairly divisive, in that it's had opinions on both extremes (though most reviews are very positive). Based on some of the games you've enjoyed that have been critically slated, you of all people should appreciate that notion.

Last edited:

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Firstly, obviously you haven't seen evidence that the gameplay and cutscenes contextualise each other because you haven't actually played the game, which ultimately makes your points even more amusing.

Also, many of you people you listed enjoyed Death Stranding. But even then, you've listed such a wide variance of outlets that there's going to be lots of contention. A couple from GB disliked RDR2, whilst to you it was one of the best games ever made. Some or many of the outlets you listed disliked Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves, but you enjoyed both.

Point is, rather than solely relying on others to dictate what you do or do not enjoy, or what you may or may not enjoy, perhaps play it yourself before forming such a heavy handed impression, especially for a game like Death Stranding which has been fairly divisive, in that it's had opinions on both extremes. Based on some of the games you've enjoyed that have been critically slated, you of all people should appreciate that notion.

Definitely, that's why I'm looking forward to getting it on PC and playing it.

Oct 26, 2017
Never farmed anything, you have a tons just by exploring the world, the game is not shy in terms of food and shit to mix by any means...

My point was, why zelda climbing is fun? Or more fun than ds climbing? It's factually wrong and i was originally talking about what dunkey said in his review, it pull me out of every thing he has to say about the game...

Like when jim sterling said that knack 2 controls and combat are unprecise, i can't take seriously someone who said something so factually wrong...
Lol Factually wrong. The mental gymnastics for this game and the need for some people to try to bring down other games to prop up this one is something else

He found it more fun because he found traversing and climbing more enjoyable in BotW than in DS. That's not "factually wrong", that's his opinion

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017

How are opinions factually wrong? Just stop.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

With all due respect, your impression of the game is going to be completely tainted. You've already ruined the story for yourself, and now you plan to skip the cutscenes during your play through which will mess up both the pacing and the context between everything.

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
Threads like this are when you realise what an insular bubble much of the gaming community is.

I've been a hardcore gamer for over 30 years and no idea who this guy is. Every individuals opinion is just as valid. It's just bizarre to see a 20 page (and counting) thread about his particular review.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
With all due respect, your impression of the game is going to be completely tainted. You've already ruined the story for yourself, and now you plan to skip the cutscenes during your play through which will mess up both the pacing and the context between everything.

I have no interest in the story, its terrible imo.

I'm interested in the gameplay.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
So I cant discuss issues that I believe will resonate with me.

I cant comment on the hours of cutscenes I watched just like anyone who played the game? There is no difference to watching the cutscenes on a stream than natively on a ps4.

Please do not try and label my points as concern trolling. It is far from that.
This is the epitome of concern trolling. No you can't watch the cutscenes and then bash the game.. 😆 You don't get a hate voucher IOU cause the PC ver ain't out. You have to play the game fam.

like, why would you watch 9 hours of some shit you didn't like? And furthermore, if you don't like what you see, why buy it at all?

...So you can hate now. Lol

(Bro I'm cracking up)

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
This is it. I kind of dont want the zip lines to be in as surely that defies the point of the game?

It's going to look insane.
Never used tha zipline for that reason (and also because i'm a lazy mofo who hate building and repairing shit), just wait the third chapter to unlock some juicy upgrade and you are gonna enjoy the trip a lot.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is the epitome of concern trolling. No you can't watch the cutscenes and then bash the game.. 😆 You don't get a hate voucher IOU cause the PC ver ain't out. You have to play the game fam.

like, why would you watch 9 hours of some shit you didn't like? And furthermore, if you don't like what you see, why buy it at all?

...So you can hate now. Lol

(Bro I'm cracking up)

I'm bashing the story bro.

For the umpteemph time. Im interested in the gameplay..lmao

To me death stranding works completely disconnected.

It's like an indie game of a mechanic. I wouldn't pay full price for it. I see it as an amazing indie game. Looking forward to micro managing my weight distribution and delivering some pizza.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Never used tha zipline for that reason (and also because i'm a lazy mofo who hate building and repairing shit), just wait the third chapter to unlock some juicy upgrade and you are gonna enjoy the trip a lot.

Yup, looking forward to getting into it. :)
You do what most people do, play the actual game? You know, the way the gameplay and story is meant to be experienced....

I just dont believe this applies to this game. Also with the mixed opinions, and doubt I'm not investing 50 hours to see the story and im glad I didn't. I would have been infuriated at myself. I have a massive pile of shame and this game is not a priority for me.

That's just my opinion.

Anyway this thread has gone on a very personal journey for myself :)

Can we get back to discussing dunkys review?

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
You can purposely play wrong to get a stupid point across like in this video (placing a ladder in a stupid way like at the very beginning, not crouching while passing under something with a 3 meter tall backpack, hitting every single rock in a path while there are clear ways around them, carrying a bomb in a vehicle over unfair terrain after the game hammers you noless than 4 times about SPECIFICALLY not doing that shit etc.) .

Or you can have fun with the dozens of mechanics.
Random example:

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I think I'm going to just ask someone this next time they tell me they hated the game.

I hated the gameplay and my end stats say I fell over once and I only did that because I thought they'd give you a trophy for it. The traversal is surprisingly shallow, hold L2 + R2 and hold forward, don't walk off a cliff. It only got fun once you could build a zipline network and had to scout the best spots to place one so you could literally fly between places.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Decent list, matches mine. Haven't played Control so I would replace it with DMC V.
I've seen pretty big overlap between people who love DS and those who love Control. They're usually fine with either of them winning Goty.

Random example:

He showed up in my list so I've made contract with him. Hopefully his resort shows up in my instance lol.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The shooting section with Mads looked so shoddy. Reminded me of the one of the worst section of MS4 (onrails motorbike with Mama). But at least that just felt like an interactive cutscene and could be ignored mostly.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
You can purposely play wrong to get a stupid point across like in this video (placing a ladder in a stupid way like at the very beginning, not crouching while passing under something with a 3 meter tall backpack, hitting every single rock in a path while there are clear ways around them, carrying a bomb in a vehicle over unfair terrain after the game hammers you noless than 4 times about SPECIFICALLY not doing that shit etc.) .

Random example:

That video is incredible. Love it.
I like usually dunkeys videos but this wasnt even remotely funny and i can laugh about a game i like.
I think he just really disliked this game.