• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you enjoying Death Stranding?

• Yes its a great experience

Votes: 712 43.4%
  • No its a mess

Votes: 367 22.4%
  • I Have Mixed feelings

Votes: 207 12.6%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 354 21.6%

• Total voters

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (5 days): Trolling across multiple threads.
I'm done with resetera. I'm definitely not done with movies, I end up watching 10-20 new movies every year, that will probably never change. But this movie really made me realize I no longer give a shit about anything you guys have to say. It made me realize that movie reviewers mean nothing to me anymore. For so long have I been a child, now I can look into the mirror and truly see a clown looking back at me. I no longer put any stock into the opinions or thoughts of people on the internet, from now on, I trust myself and those I consider closest to me in real life.

This is probably the single best movie I've watched this entire generation. It's one of the funnest movies I've watched in years. I've watched all of your favourite movies. I'm probably better at watching them than most of you guys are, I've watched literally hundreds of movies released this decade of all sorts of different genres and styles.

There are a few of you guys out there who are alright, keep on keeping on. But eventually you guys too will realize you're like me: you truly fucking love movies with all your heart, it's probably impossible to change that about yourself. And you'll realize your posting on a forum full of complete morons who don't even watch movies, they just enjoy shitposting about them. These are people who are essentially broken on the inside and have likely lost most of their ability to enjoy things. The type of people who complain about stagnation in the industry, and when arguably the most revolutionary movie of the decade drops, they all gang up together to pretend that it isn't even a movies, when in reality Joker is basically the most cinematic movie of all time.

ftfy

On topic - this game looks like shit tbh. Do you really just walk around with boxes and bad mechanics and no matter what, the game ends the same way?

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You must have skipped Sekiro.
It's interesting how subjective good gameplay is with a lot of modern critical darlings. Sekiro is divisive. Red Dead 2 is divisive. BotW is divisive. Death Stranding is divisive. All well reviewed games, with people on polar opposites on how good or bad they are to play.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I've never played the game and likely never will so I have opinion, but the video was amusing enough and I can't believe some of that writing is real. Wowzers.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Do you really just want to walk around and click on peoples heads, and no matter what, the game ends the same way?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I'm done with resetera. I'm definitely not done with video games, I end up playing 10-20 new games every year, that will probably never change. But this game really made me realize I no longer give a shit about anything you guys have to say. It made me realize that video game reviewers mean nothing to me anymore. For so long have I been a child, now I can look into the mirror and truly see a woman looking back at me. I no longer put any stock into the opinions or thoughts of people on the internet, from now on, I trust myself and those I consider closest to me in real life.

This is probably the single best game I've played this entire generation. It's one of the funnest games I've played in years. I've played all of your favourite games. I'm probably better at most of them than most of you guys are, I've played literally hundreds of video games released this decade of all sorts of different genres and styles.

There are a few of you guys out there who are alright, keep on keeping on. But eventually you guys too will realize you're like me: you truly fucking love video games with all your heart, it's probably impossible to change that about yourself. And you'll realize your posting on a forum full of complete morons who don't even play video games, they just enjoy shitposting about them. These are people who are essentially broken on the inside and have likely lost most of their ability to enjoy things. The type of people who complain about stagnation in the industry, and when arguably the most revolutionary game of the decade drops, they all gang up together to pretend that it isn't even a video game, when in reality Death Stranding is basically the most video gamey video game of all time.
source.gif

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
But this was not even remotely a sincere critique of the game.
I dunno, I completed the game, and bad writing, bad animations while walking, terrain clipping, "skyrim" climbing mountains with a bike, lots of repetitive cutscenes ... all of this was in the game. I think the game has some really good things too, mostly the interesting online component, but this review feels far more sincere to me than a "10/10 life-changing experience".

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
ftfy

On topic - this game looks like shit tbh. Do you really just walk around with boxes and bad mechanics and no matter what, the game ends the same way?

No, you walk around with boxes and good mechanics. The game also has traditional combat though it is mainly focused on the traversal aspect and is built around you putting down tools to collaboratively help other players get around easier with the theme of rebuilding the country.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's interesting how subjective good gameplay is with a lot of modern critical darlings. Sekiro is divisive. Red Dead 2 is divisive. BotW is divisive. Death Stranding is divisive. All well reviewed games, with people on polar opposites on how good or bad they are to play.
Bad examples. These games are not divisive. Death stranding very obviously is.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
I'm done with resetera. I'm definitely not done with video games, I end up playing 10-20 new games every year, that will probably never change. But this game really made me realize I no longer give a shit about anything you guys have to say. It made me realize that video game reviewers mean nothing to me anymore. For so long have I been a child, now I can look into the mirror and truly see a woman looking back at me. I no longer put any stock into the opinions or thoughts of people on the internet, from now on, I trust myself and those I consider closest to me in real life.

This is probably the single best game I've played this entire generation. It's one of the funnest games I've played in years. I've played all of your favourite games. I'm probably better at most of them than most of you guys are, I've played literally hundreds of video games released this decade of all sorts of different genres and styles.

There are a few of you guys out there who are alright, keep on keeping on. But eventually you guys too will realize you're like me: you truly fucking love video games with all your heart, it's probably impossible to change that about yourself. And you'll realize your posting on a forum full of complete morons who don't even play video games, they just enjoy shitposting about them. These are people who are essentially broken on the inside and have likely lost most of their ability to enjoy things. The type of people who complain about stagnation in the industry, and when arguably the most revolutionary game of the decade drops, they all gang up together to pretend that it isn't even a video game, when in reality Death Stranding is basically the most video gamey video game of all time.

thumbs-up-sign_1f44d.png

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
What do you mean? The GF review starts with the bad menu system and lots of repeated cutscenes, but at the end goes with a more positive note explaining the social aspect of the game. What makes you think that the GF says thinks her doesn't believe?

It felt a bit overenthusiastic to me. The whole everything I learned with game and DS being a culmination of it. I feel that at least to some extend, DS might have been an excuse for this video rather than the cause. The important part was it to be a well crafted video with a positive note about videogames. And Death Stranding offered the perfect plataform to build it on.

But then, you could say I'm been overly cynic here. And you'd probably be right.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017

this post would make for a great pasta, but it's also a great post, if a little aggressively blunt in many areas

much like death stranding is a great game, if a little aggressively blunt in many areas

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Also, as a player that has completed the game and found it really weak (I'm not saying it's crap like Dunkey, mostly a 6/10 with some really good things but lots of bad things too), I'm quite tired of the new "the people who doesn't love it, never played it" fallacy. It's dumb, it's cheap and serves as a weak defense tbh.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
👋 bye

Why are people surprised by this reaction to the game? Multiple professional reviewers felt the same way. And the game doesn't seem to have the best word of mouth either.
It doesn't? As far as I've seen, the people who have played it and enjoyed it far outweigh those who have played it and disliked it.

I even know multiple at work who are playing right now and are all obsessed with it, and some of them arent even Kojima fans.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

ZeroNr

Oct 20, 2019
This is an amazing take.
Honestly, DS threads and people trying to paint it like some super deep artistic achievement provided me with all the entertainment that the game itself lacks. Thank you.
Who is trying to paint the game as a super deep artistic achievment? Most people in the DS thread say the game isnt for everyone because its a slow paced game with focus in transversal and, of course, the kojimaness of the story. People that refer to DS as a deep artistic game are the one trying to downplay it and say that in a ironic manner.

There is no hidden deep meaning in death stranding. Its in your face kojima and i and a lot of people love this.

Last edited:

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not going to go into depth about the game etc or try to say it's some huge thinking mans game. I will say that the game will always *look* boring, playing it's a different matter. You still might think it's boring, but I'd be surprised if anyone just looking at the game would think it's fun. If the mechanics click with you, it gets addictive fast.

I thought I was totally going to hate the game through and through.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Also, as a player that has completed the game and found it really weak (I'm not saying it's crap like Dunkey, mostly a 6/10 with some really good things but lots of bad things too), I'm quite tired of the new "the people who doesn't love it, never played it" fallacy. It's dumb, it's cheap and serves as a weak defense tbh.
Maybe we should take a photo of our screens and attach it to every post

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This review is extremely disingenuous. I get a lot of it is supposed to be funny but him conflating a "strand" game with walking is completely missing the point. His stacks aren't even well organized. He brute forces a truck into a wall with a bomb that can't take shocks.
Are people unironically calling it a strand game now? I didn't even think his fans were doing that with a straight face.

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't necessarily say dumber, but some people really only want their hand held or to not have to actively engage critical thinking while playing video games. Many people just want to pop on a game and turn their brains off, which is ok because games are primarily for escapism anyway, but it doesn't make games that require more effort by the player inherently bad.

What critical thinking does DS actually require? The story has all the subtlety of an ice pick straight to the prefrontal cortex. If you're on board with the meditative aspect of the gameplay, I can respect that but let's not pretend that the game requires a significant degree of puzzle solving or lateral thinking to transport boxes from A to B.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Probably because they are incredibly hyperbolic and not actually useful as a review.

In certain situations hyperbole/exaggeration can drive points of contention home. Especially if one has strong feelings about said topic in question. It doesn't invalid his opinion/review in the scheme of things.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I can't agree or disagree because I haven't played it.

But it definitely fails my eye test. It doesn't look like something I'd enjoy at all. Given that even a few of the reviews that gave the game a 9/10 say it's kinda boring and not overly "fun", can't say I'm interested in giving it a go.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Both those games fit better into those categories than this one does into action/adventure. It's a janky delivery sim with a big budget and a crowd-pleasing name attached, isn't it?

It's an adventure game. It fits well the genre but if you want to go running around full speed with 250kg on your back and not stumble, you're going to have a bad time. Not the games fault, you just don't care about the game's mechanic.

If you try to do 100hits combo in Sekiro it won't work, you can come back here and say is the wrong genre if you want as well.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you trolling? You know games don't often have multiple endings and they dont need to right?

Why do people hop on the accusation train instantly?

In the review, he states that no matter what, it ends the same way and the gameplay in between means absolutely nothing. That doesn't mean it needs to have multiple endings, but if it ends the same way no matter what you do, that seems weird.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The 1-2 combo of the skipping the ridiculously elongated shower followed by the praising of the zip wire because it allows other players to skip the gameplay is amazing TBH. Very clever and funny.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I appreciate he didn't try to sugar coat a game with shitty gameplay.
DS gameplay is anything but shitty. The gameplay loop, and game design is actually one of the strongest points of Death Stranding.

I can't agree or disagree because I haven't played it.

But it definitely fails my eye test. It doesn't look like something I'd enjoy at all. Given that even a few of the reviews that gave the game a 9/10 say it's kinda boring and not overly "fun", can't say I'm interested in giving it a go.
Game is not only fun, is also super addictive. You might like it or not, but saying its not fun, is a lie.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people hop on the accusation train instantly?

In the review, he states that no matter what, it ends the same way and the gameplay in between means absolutely nothing. That doesn't mean it needs to have multiple endings, but if it ends the same way no matter what you do, that seems weird.

But most games end the same way no matter how you play them. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Red Dead 2 is super divisive. There's been a lot of argument over Sekiro's lack of difficulty options. BotW is probably the least divisive, but even that has had a lot of people complaining about game systems such as weapon durability, lack of dungeons, etc.
Era opinions are not indicative of overall opinions. Death stranding has far more mixed to negative reviews than all of those games combined and a significantly lower user score as well. Evn the most glowing reviews call the game divisive. Ive never seen so much offense taken to the idea a game is divisive with the reviews and receptions its gotten than this game. To try to suggest any of those games are anywhere near being as divisive as DS is so ridiculous.