• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you enjoying Death Stranding?

• Yes its a great experience

Votes: 712 43.4%
  • No its a mess

Votes: 367 22.4%
  • I Have Mixed feelings

Votes: 207 12.6%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 354 21.6%

• Total voters

Deleted member 4067

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao first dunkey video I seen in a while. Thought he would love the game, Kojima really dropped a dud.

Crying at Princess Beach

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I thought he'd hate it
This review is extremely disingenuous. I get a lot of it is supposed to be funny but him conflating a "strand" game with walking is completely missing the point. His stacks aren't even well organized. He brute forces a truck into a wall with a bomb that can't take shocks.
This is Dunkey's schtick for a game he hates. He completely misrepresented Octopath, too.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
On one hand, he is mostly playing as bad as possible and this game wants you to take the terrain into consideration and take time with the traversal.

On the other hand, that a game that is clearly focused in traversal has this crazy terrain clipping, bad climbing system and bad physics speaks volumes of the overall experience. I laughed with the video, which is more I can say about most reviews of the game tbh, but the game is not as bad as he tries to show. It's not great either, it's something unique that some people will appreciate more than others.

how zelda turn climbing into a fun mechanic
Yep, it's funny how Zelda has a more interesting and involved traversal while using only a few simple mechanics.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
another dunkey video where he intentionally misrepresents a game he's ready to hate before even playing

Mattakuevan

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn some of you need a reality check.

Let the funny man have his opinion and move on with your lives.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
I'm certainly in the minority but I think the first chapters of the game are definitely the best.
After the 6 first chapters tho (except chapter 4, it was not good at all)....it went downhill for me since this point. Final chapter was good tho.
Chapters 7 to 13 were nightmarish for me, I've never been so annoyed playing a videogame, I almost dropped it because of this large amount of cutscenes/dialogues. Glad I didn't tho because of the final chapter.

So yeah, I have to agree with him concerning the story/cutscenes/writing. However I don't think I would rate it this low personally, more something like 7/10.
But eh, he apparently did not like the gameplay too so...his review/opinion seems on point with his rating at least and I respect it.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I'm done with resetera. I'm definitely not done with video games, I end up playing 10-20 new games every year, that will probably never change. But this game really made me realize I no longer give a shit about anything you guys have to say. It made me realize that video game reviewers mean nothing to me anymore. For so long have I been a child, now I can look into the mirror and truly see a woman looking back at me. I no longer put any stock into the opinions or thoughts of people on the internet, from now on, I trust myself and those I consider closest to me in real life.

This is probably the single best game I've played this entire generation. It's one of the funnest games I've played in years. I've played all of your favourite games. I'm probably better at most of them than most of you guys are, I've played literally hundreds of video games released this decade of all sorts of different genres and styles.

There are a few of you guys out there who are alright, keep on keeping on. But eventually you guys too will realize you're like me: you truly fucking love video games with all your heart, it's probably impossible to change that about yourself. And you'll realize your posting on a forum full of complete morons who don't even play video games, they just enjoy shitposting about them. These are people who are essentially broken on the inside and have likely lost most of their ability to enjoy things. The type of people who complain about stagnation in the industry, and when arguably the most revolutionary game of the decade drops, they all gang up together to pretend that it isn't even a video game, when in reality Death Stranding is basically the most video gamey video game of all time.

Some please tell me this is a copypasta or something

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't for the life of me want to play Earthworm Jim after TenNapel's fuckery but I'm kinda giggling imagining how a Death Stranding similar to Dunkey's structure would play out.

God damn, people. It's just someone's opinion.
Funny thing is the dude is a huge Kojima stan as well; he's sung the praises of Kojima in several videos and MGSV was his GOTY that year. He has no problem seeing through Kojima bullshit, so the fact that he hates this game, yeah I think some people here are projecting fiercely.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
That's a shame, I thought he would like it given all the antics you can get into in it. I cant get enough of it, myself

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I genuinely don't know how to react to this. I mean, how do you even make your actors say that? Seriously seems like he put that in as a joke while writing the script and then forgot to replace it later.
you just don't understand, takes a 200 IQ to get it.
go play your shooty bang bangs moran.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I'm done with resetera. I'm definitely not done with video games, I end up playing 10-20 new games every year, that will probably never change. But this game really made me realize I no longer give a shit about anything you guys have to say. It made me realize that video game reviewers mean nothing to me anymore. For so long have I been a child, now I can look into the mirror and truly see a woman looking back at me. I no longer put any stock into the opinions or thoughts of people on the internet, from now on, I trust myself and those I consider closest to me in real life.

This is probably the single best game I've played this entire generation. It's one of the funnest games I've played in years. I've played all of your favourite games. I'm probably better at most of them than most of you guys are, I've played literally hundreds of video games released this decade of all sorts of different genres and styles.

There are a few of you guys out there who are alright, keep on keeping on. But eventually you guys too will realize you're like me: you truly fucking love video games with all your heart, it's probably impossible to change that about yourself. And you'll realize your posting on a forum full of complete morons who don't even play video games, they just enjoy shitposting about them. These are people who are essentially broken on the inside and have likely lost most of their ability to enjoy things. The type of people who complain about stagnation in the industry, and when arguably the most revolutionary game of the decade drops, they all gang up together to pretend that it isn't even a video game, when in reality Death Stranding is basically the most video gamey video game of all time.
👋 bye

Why are people surprised by this reaction to the game? Multiple professional reviewers felt the same way. And the game doesn't seem to have the best word of mouth either.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
lol @ all the people in this thread who have never touched death stranding going "ah, yes, excellent review"

That is a very weird thing that seems to be happening a lot with Death Stranding (more so than other games, even though you can also notice an increase there aswell). In my group of people I play games with only 2 actually have played Death Stranding and liked it, but everyone else seems to take huge enjoyment in constantly mocking this game. For some reason they take huge enjoyment in hating on that game and are very eager to engange in discussions about that game or finding reviews/videos that hate Death Stranding including trying to argue taste on an objective level telling other people that they are wrong if they like Death Stranding.

I don't understand it at all.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

God bless you

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
An observation

one thing i've noticed about reviews that hated it is the mechanics of walking & balance across the terrain...
Just like any game you learn the intricacies on how to execute these things better and better. To a point where it becomes a second-hand.

Like if you are actually playing and learning the game, its easy to tell what kind of terrain you would likely have trouble with. And when you do all you do is hold R2/L2 to ground yourself and your backpack so you can trek over it easily. I picked up on this within the first handful of hours and only fell (specifically due to rough terrain) maybe about 3 times throughout the game

Just an observation. Don't @ me. I love Dunkey and enjoyed this video
I'm @ing you because I've noticed this myself. Thought the game was pretty clear about it, but every person I've seen play it are rocking cargo to the heavens, walking about handsfree and tumbling all over the place.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Very poor review. The game just isn't for him, and he is messing around with it for getting his views.

Jim Sterling impressions were way better in this sense. He clearly recognized the game wasn't for him, but did a great job in showcasing it. He even convinced me on buying DS, and I honestly think it is the game of the generation. Dunkey on the other hand, I just can't take his poor click baity opinions seriously.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017

You said a lot..

But I agree with you on one thing, don't browse resetERA if you're not ready for negativity. This forum is full of it.
If I were you I would discuss the game in the Death Stranding OT (where people are actually playing the game, instead of shitposting), or just log out and don't browser ResetERA for a while.

But don't let other's people opinions of your favorite games affect you... Personally, I'm loving DS, but it's not for everyone.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Death stranding is literally a slow paced thinking person's game. It's really not surprising that some people can't wrap their brain around it.

This is an amazing take.
Honestly, DS threads and people trying to paint it like some super deep artistic achievement provided me with all the entertainment that the game itself lacks. Thank you.

Oct 25, 2017
I am sure you don't mean it like this but these kind of posts always insinuate, by accident or not, that people that don't like death stranding are dumber than people that do like it, which is obviously bullshit.

I wouldn't necessarily say dumber, but some people really only want their hand held or to not have to actively engage critical thinking while playing video games. Many people just want to pop on a game and turn their brains off, which is ok because games are primarily for escapism anyway, but it doesn't make games that require more effort by the player inherently bad.

Ozymandias

Jun 9, 2018
I genuinely don't know how to react to this. I mean, how do you even make your actors say that? Seriously seems like he put that in as a joke while writing the script and then forgot to replace it later.

The game is filled with jokes and that entire part is intentionally farcical.

People who are overly cynical and specific sense of humor will hate this game or any Kojima game for that matter. I find it endering all the stupid shit he puts on his games.

About the review, I usually agree with Dunkey on his opinions, but I knew he would hate this game. The thing is that I never noticed how he purposely misrepresents the games he doesn't like. The footage is pure garbage. I understand he does it for comedic effect but goddamn its so disingenuous.

Crash

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Main part of the game is using the many tools provided to you to make traversing the world easier but instead he just tries to Skyrim climb the mountain.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That was a very funny video. Solidified my decision to wait for it to be a tenner before I give it a go, which doesn't look like it'll take too long either.

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
The idea that someone doesn't like the writing or narrative of Death Stranding because they "don't get it" is going to be one of my favorite memes in gaming.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
This is like the opposite of Girlfriend Reviews. In both cases I feel they are saying things they don't fully believe just so they can craft the best video they can, but while one goes for the "this game is great" the other one goes for "this game is shit".
What do you mean? The GF review starts with the bad menu system and lots of repeated cutscenes, but at the end goes with a more positive note explaining the social aspect of the game. What makes you think that the GF says thinks her doesn't believe?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Holy fuck that was hilarious. Loved the diggs on Kojima for being up his own ass about this being a new genre and Americans not getting it because it isnt a shooter (despite it becoming one during huge sections of the game). I really loved a lot of the game but its so easy to see why someone like him would outright hate everything. KH story structure was a perfect analogy of this game. Being rewarded with exposition dumps is so true.

The idea that someone doesn't like the writing or narrative of Death Stranding because they "don't get it" is going to be one of my favorite memes in gaming.
Sadly its a go to anytime someone criticizes a story, in any medium. You see it a lot when BvS came out too.

Death stranding is literally a slow paced thinking person's game. It's really not surprising that some people can't wrap their brain around it.
Me american me so stoopid how do I play game that isn't shooter?

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017
First off, the video is hilarious. Second, I haven't played the game, but from most of the gameplay I've seen, I would probably agree on a lot of points.

But man, he is just not a very good critic. His ability to back his points with well-explained reasoning is just really poor, and this has been a constant for pretty much all his videos in my experience. I've watched a lot of them because they're very funny, but especially the "Game Journalist" videos are just such lazy surface level critiques with really poor argumentation to support it. The videos are definitely comedy first, and then critique like, sixth.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is gonna be good. (Both the video and the inevitable salt from everyone who loved it saying that he's objectively wrong)
Who do you reckon is more salty, those who love a game and want to show their appreciation or those who didn't like or didn't even play it and want to trash it?
Anyways, will not watch in fear of spoilers. But I'm sure this is good. I'm in the "DS is a masterpiece" group but donkey is always great pinpointing ridiculous stuff in games, even the ones I loved, so I'm sure this is another great video

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
This is an amazing take.
Honestly, DS threads and people trying to paint it like some super deep artistic achievement provided me with all the entertainment that the game itself lacks. Thank you.

It's extreme on both sides. You have this take and the complete opposite "All you do is go from A to B".

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't necessarily say dumber, but some people really only want their hand held or to not have to actively engage critical thinking while playing video games. Many people just want to pop on a game and turn their brains off, which is ok because games are primarily for escapism anyway, but it doesn't make games that require more effort by the player inherently bad.

Assuming most people don't like death stranding because they want their hand held or not critical think is wrong though. Hell I hate death stranding but my goty is outer wilds, a game that has very little handholding and requires a lot of critical thinking.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Currently loving the game (16 hours chapter 3) but it's obviously not for everyone. Only things I keep seeing that's suspect are gripes about the gameplay or better yet the lack of it, this is one of the most gameplay focused games this year and most of systems are deep and satisfying. I'm not really seeing where people are coming from when they say this.