• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you play Death Stranding Director's Cut?

• I have played the original release and will play the Director's Cut

Votes: 533 55.7%
  • I have played the original release, but I am not interested in the Director's Cut

Votes: 143 14.9%
  • I have not played the original release but I will play the Director's Cut

Votes: 190 19.9%
  • I have not played the original release and will not play the Director's Cut

Votes: 91 9.5%

• Total voters

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I'd like to but tbh I can't even find the page for the upgrade on the ps store

Sotonian

Oct 25, 2017
Platinumed the PS4 version, going straight into the PS5 version with a fresh game, cant wait

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
The story was not bad in the slightest, lol.
Yeah for real. It's one of the better stories in a long time, it's just weird is all.

I'd like to think what the other generic game stories like Halo are thought of from OP. "Man go space, man with gun go pew pew, all die, big boom!"

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Somehow I managed to sink like 80 hours into this walking sim (I mean that in the literal sense, not the shade sense)

I'll give it another shot but I always had faith in Kojima to deliver games with good gameplay but this is the first time he disappointed me

xewind

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Played this for so many hours and wanted to get the Platinum but I just stopped playing. Will definitely get the Director's Cut and try to get the plat.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I was finally excited to try this out until this was announced.

Since I'd been waiting to play the PC game for so long, it feels like I should just wait longer now and hope it comes to the PC eventually.

cfer50

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne Australia
Apart from seeing single frames of this game and occasional short and abstract snippets, i have managed to know absolutely nothing about this game until now. Bought Directors Cut and I'm excited to try something new and different.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
I gave up after 7-8 hrs on the pro, but for $10 I'll give the upgrade a shot on the PS5, definitely

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Had this on PS4 and after 6 hours had enough.

Went back on PC thanks to 60fps and DLSS along with presumably a bunch of fixes and patches and loved it.

You do have to be the right headspace to play though. It really is a story about connections, and looks beautiful at a high framerate.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I most likely won't be coming back right away, but I will for sure give the game another playthrough with these additions. Seems to be building a lot on what I enjoyed with the new transport options.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
DS was my 2019 GoTY, so hell yeah I'll there buildings roads with you guys !

Keep on Keeping on !

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I have my copy still sitting in my backlog. What's this version adding, and is it worth paying $10 to play this as my first experience with it?

PS5 features? Resolution/frame rate? Loading? DualSense?

Do any of the changes seem to impact the original "authentic" experience that would make playing this first give me a different experience to PS4 players? (Think Dark Souls 2 -> Scholar of the First Sin)

yalk_dx

Nov 3, 2020
I have my copy still sitting in my backlog. What's this version adding, and is it worth paying $10 to play this as my first experience with it?

Do any of the changes seem to impact the original "authentic" experience that would make playing this first give me a different experience to PS4 players? (Think Dark Souls 2 -> Scholar of the First Sin)

this exists:

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
PC version still hasn't been announced even though they announced vanilla weeks before the PS4 release. What the fuck is going on?
Marketing designed to sell me on the game that is potentially full of spoilers?

Nah I'd rather ask people here that have played the game and are knowledgeable about it thanks.
it has everything you'd expect. higher res, 60fps, haptics, racing mini game, new guns, new gadgets, new story missions, new cutscenes, upgraded melee and stealth, all DLC from PC release

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Killer price tag.

I didn't finish it cause I knew this would come a while ago !

Can't wait, super chill game.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

Loading times are bound to be much shorter; they were longish even when playing the PS4 version on PS5.

As far as we know, the only graphical update is the ability to play the game at native 4K at 30fps. There's also a 60fps mode, but that's 2160 checkerboarded like the PS4 Pro version. We don't know if there are further graphical enhancements. There's an Ultra-wide mode as well, but since the PS5 doesn't support Ultra-Wide, it's letterboxed.

yalk_dx

Nov 3, 2020
Marketing designed to sell me on the game that is potentially full of spoilers?

Nah I'd rather ask people here that have played the game and are knowledgeable about it thanks.
yo, i've played the original release. this video tells you what is in the directors cut version. no one that will be replying to you here has played the directors cut, so the only info we have about it is what kojipro have put out. anything else anyone could possibly tell you has come from kojipro official channels, but if you want to just say "marketing" and ignore it that's whatever.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
PC version still hasn't been announced even though they announced vanilla weeks before the PS4 release. What the fuck is going on?

it has everything you'd expect. higher res, 60fps, haptics, racing mini game, new guns, new gadgets, new story missions, new cutscenes, upgraded melee and stealth, all DLC from PC release

Loading times are bound to be much shorter; they were longish even when playing the PS4 version on PS5.

As far as we know, the only graphical update is the ability to play the game at native 4K at 30fps. There's also a 60fps mode, but that's 2160 checkerboarded like the PS4 Pro version. We don't know if there are further graphical enhancements. There's an Ultra-wide mode as well, but since the PS5 doesn't support Ultra-Wide, it's letterboxed.
Thanks. Are things like the "roads in the mountains" that the OP mentioned going to disrupt the original flow of the game though?

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Are things like the "roads in the mountains" that the OP mentioned going to disrupt the original flow of the game though?
Roads are only partially built by other users, you'd have to put in the work to complete an entire road yourself if you want to use one to make the game "easier". Ziplines would probably be better for mountain traversal anyway.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

I don't know. It's hard to tell at this point. Essentially, in some areas of the game, you can eventually build highways to connect distribution centers that can make traversal much easier, because you can ride a bike or a truck unimpeded, and with unlimited battery, to boot. The mountains were the most treacherous parts of the game for that very reason. You can build (or use structures built by other players) ziplines to traverse the mountains, but then you have to give up your vehicle and carry your cargo by hand or on your back. Roads are very important because, while there is fast travel in the game, it can only be done in safehouses, and you have to give up your cargo when you fast travel (you can't take it with you). The game is about traversal, after all.

I guess you could always choose not to build those roads. At the end of the day, building the roads is quite the grind, and as far as I recall, you have to use your own roads? As in, you can't really use other players' roads (but you can contribute materials or upgrades to their roads, such as the electric grid that charges your batteries).

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Played the original and had a good time. Not planning on playing it again though. It's usually story beats that will make me want to replay something these days

Oct 25, 2017
Price tag for the upgrade makes it a no brainer. I'll be damned if I do another whole playthrough, which will be a bit of a shame considering how the early game feels so special due to your lack of resources. But I can pick up a bunch of the deliveries I missed already and try to do things Spartan to capture the old magic.

Not even expecting to be impressed by the extra minigames or the underground base missions even, but just walking around at the higher fidelity will be real nice.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Is the DLC stuff integrated into the original campaign, or is it its own thing? I beat the original release and have no desire to re-experience any aspect of that story, but I do like the traversal mechanics.

Muji

Banned
Jul 27, 2021
I think the story was awful and conveluted as hell. But the gameplay was so satisfying with the process of building infrastructure and delivering packages. I will be playing it for sure. It will look wonderfull in HDR on my CX too, cant wait!

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018

You ever gone into a Forza or Gran Turismo thread and said "More Driving…"

Or a CoD/Battlefield thread and said "More shooting"

Or a Fifa thread, an MLB thread, a Platformer etc…

Boiling this game down to just "Walking" is pure reductionist. It isn't the only way to get around the environment and isn't the only thing you'll be doing once you're playing the game.

It really makes it seem like you actually haven't played the game or given it enough time if you did.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna hit up the Director's Cut but I'm not going to start over again. Hope it's easy to access all the new content.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm really looking foward to going back to it. I don't think I'll replay it just yet but I'm so excited for the new content and while I already 100%'d it as far as I'm concerned, I think I have a few trophies left.

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
Never played the original since I don't really think I would like it, but it has been recommended to me so many times that I will try the directors cut, hoping for the best.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Short of mountain climbing, I was driving a delivery truck everywhere by the end of the game.

For big deliveries, yeah. But ziplines for smaller/speed deliveries was definitely the way to go (and really satisfying to efficiently set up) since trips take a fraction of the time when zipping

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Yeah, if I had a single specific delivery to make. I had worked with folks online to have a nice zipline system through the mountains which made getting across that a breeze.

I however had a tendency to have several deliveries going on at once and would just drive a circuit dropping off and picking up deliveries along the highways. So, I didn't have a specific destination in mind while I was driving my truck around the nation.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I have about 120 hours in the original I think and I'm planning to get the DC and start a fresh new game when I do. One of my games of the gen and I loved just being in that world and its atmosphere so I had no issue with just delivering packages for hours and hours lol.

For real, one of the games I put more hours into in the last decade I guess.

I'm excited to go back, but I hope my roads are still there. I put so many hours grinding for the materials to build the whole thing.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if I had a single specific delivery to make. I had worked with folks online to have a nice zipline system through the mountains which made getting across that a breeze.

I however had a tendency to have several deliveries going on at once and would just drive a circuit dropping off and picking up deliveries along the highways. So, I didn't have a specific destination in mind while I was driving my truck around the nation.

I had a zipline to literally every destination, heck of a grind (especially before the durability increase) but man it made getting max ranks easy. But yeah those heavy deliveries or stacking up 4 or 5 jobs along the main roads meant it was time to pull out the truck.

Now you got me reminiscing about planning batch deliveries and setting up efficient routes... and I'm excited for this game again lol

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
For real, one of the games I put more hours into in the last decade I guess.

I'm excited to go back, but I hope my roads are still there. I put so many hours grinding for the materials to build the whole thing.
I think one of the warnings they give you about transferring is that at least some of your constructions will not transfer...or maybe they mean the community structures instead of your own...

Either way, unless you've played recently, I'd imagine the damage would have destroyed most of our structures by now.