• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trojan

Oct 27, 2017
I had same experience as OP. Really was loving the game through about Chapter 7/8. Felt the game absolutely fell apart the last 20-25%. Ending was poorly executed narrative to the point it soured me on the game overall.

It beats you over the head for hours trying to explain itself and it's on-the-nose alliterations. Ending would have been significantly better if it was 1/10th of the length and exposition. It revolves around a character I cared nothing for and it's dripping with technobabble about EEs and BTs and BBs and every other two letter acronym that they could cram in. Felt like it did not respect the intelligence of the audience with that needlessly long exposition drop that spans multiple title screens.

I still get frustrated even talking about it. Super disappointing IMO.

KeyChainDude

Oct 28, 2017
I actually hated the game until chapter 5, just kept going because I got curious about the ending and man, did it deliver.

The Lou storyline was the best, the rest of the characters I'll have to agree are quite a bit too much nonsense (the Mama bit was TERRIBLE, I cringed everytime she started soothing the air). I found Heartman cool though.

The game is a mixed bag, not the most stellar story in any sense but I'm glad I didn't give up the game, the ending kinda redeemed the bad parts for me.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly liked the ending, but yeah that beach sequence with Amelie was baffaling, and the twists for that sequence were sorta mind numbing rather than "WOAH".

The parts after that though I actually like quite a bit!

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I thought they ending was pretty bad and hamfisted but I still enjoyed my time with the game. The ending wasn't so bad that it ruined the journey getting there.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
No because it was in line with the rest of the game.
It was high production and very well made, the actors acted well too but the premise and how the story pan out was really mediocre (not as in sub-standard but very middle of the road).
Thinking that the game was a 100%-free-to-do-as-he-please Kojima it was disappointing.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
The beach credits scene was absolute trash and the reason why I dropped my score from 8 to 7 and thought about lowering it further. Just absurd.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
It's just horrible. I didn't linke the game and broadly speaking I just believe it's poorly designed tbh, but that ending was just icing on the take and made me hate the whole package. The cringe dialogue, the 45 minutes credits sequence followed by the 5 minutes gameplay aaaaand... then 30 minutes extra sequence. Then credits again. For the third time. Just terrible.

There are movies that happen through the full credits time of this game.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Higgs/Amelie arc - disappointed me
BB/Sam/Cliff arc - redeemed the game, lessened the blow of how bad the higgs/amelie stuff was and propelled the game to GOTY status for me

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I figured Sam was the BB in the flashbacks, and that Cliff was his dad extremely early, because that's precisely the kind of shit this game seemed entirely willing to go for...
One of my early predictions from the trailers was that the baby in the pod was a clone of Sam and when he dies it gets rapid aged up into an adult version and the memories are passed through the tube.

It wasn't that weird it turns out lol
(maybe a bit more weird depending on your view haha)

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
The gameplay was a 9.5 for me. So the overall game was also a 9.5
My eyes glazed over during all the cutscenes.. I couldn't tell you what happens in the story at all, except to say it didn't impact my enjoyment of the game at all.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
It's weirdly paced in the ending. It has tons of cutscenes that seem like they could have occurred far earlier in the game. Pretty much all Cliff stuff could have been resolved before or after meeting Heartman but instead there is very little story progress around that portion of the game and I felt like I spent a ton of time playing without advancing the main story at all.

I'm disappointed in the main story. Based on trailers I was hoping it would lean a lot more on the horror elements but there isn't even a night/day cycle and while the weather conditions make up for that a bit, there isn't much scifi horror to be had. I think they had a lot of cool ideas but just couldn't put them together right.

BT areas are annoying more than terrifying after seeing the umpteenth unskippable "spinny thingy coming up in slow motion" animation. I avoided BTs to avoid that damn animation! The game also really should not have had cars in it. They make a lot of it way too easy.

Also why the hell does the game just ignore that the rest of the world exists? It is all about an America that looks like Iceland. Why not set it in Iceland and call it some last bastion of humanity because the Death Stranding has destroyed the rest of the world?

Last edited:

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
It's weirdly paced in the ending. It has tons of cutscenes that seem like they could have occurred far earlier in the game. Pretty much all Cliff stuff could have been resolved before or after meeting Heartman but instead there is very little story progress around that portion of the game and I felt like I spent a ton of time playing without advancing the main story at all.

I'm disappointed in the main story. Based on trailers I was hoping it would lean a lot more on the horror elements but there isn't even a night/day cycle and while the weather conditions make up for that a bit, there isn't much scifi horror to be had. I think they had a lot of cool ideas but just couldn't put them together right.

BT areas are annoying more than terrifying after seeing the umpteenth unskippable "spinny thingy coming up in slow motion" animation. I avoided BTs to avoid that damn animation! The game also really should not have had cars in it. They make a lot of it way too easy.

Also why the hell does the game just ignore that the rest of the world exists? It is all about an America that looks like Iceland. Why not set it in Iceland and call it some last bastion of humanity because the Death Stranding has destroyed the rest of the world?
The Heartman part was where you find out about the other strandings, that theres a damn dino beach out there, that theres something weird about Amelie, Also Heartman's personal story was really well done and tragic.
Also:

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really liked the story and chars, the only char I didnt liked was Higgs.
The ending was great and very emotional to me, in particular the "very ending" when you have to
get rid of BB...
Maybe the fact that I am a father of a 5 months old baby made the game for me more appealing... dont know.
That part made me cry like a baby. :((
There are lots of emotional cutscenes in video games, but that part was one of the few gameplay sections in my gaming life with that big emotional impact on me.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
The Heartman part was where you find out about the other strandings, that theres a damn dino beach out there, that theres something weird about Amelie, Also Heartman's personal story was really well done and tragic.
Also:

I really didn't understand Heartman's end goal. You wanna see your family so bad, there's a lot simpler way than doing what he's doing. Also even if he found them, then what?

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I really didn't understand Heartman's end goal. You wanna see your family so bad, there's a lot simpler way than doing what he's doing. Also even if he found them, then what?
well, if he died he would be stuck on his beach right? He's been to his beach and his family isn't there.
He hoped to find them and then find a way to die and go to them. If he doesn't find them, he'll die and be stuck on his beach.

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
I'm weird in a way I play video games not the for the story but how it's really made so I enjoy every bit.
Recently there was this doc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sMNtH21-JU
and a few concept about the genesis of the game from his studio on his twitter. He give credits to people to people involved. I don't know why people think he do everything from A to Z.

I didn't cried, but i had tears numerous time going through the ending. Cremating your mom from the beginning. I stopped the game. I can't do this. I know it's a game. But people it's a game that connect with with your own emotions. The ending made me tears, I lost my daughter. It was a tears of joy.

You can check my history post, I have mentioned it in November last year, from there I knew it will be a hate or like it ending. Not many games makes me have tears. My two cents.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
The story clicked and resonated with me way more than many other games ever do.

So I guess it's the ol' different strokes. Maybe you'd connect to it more in other periods of your life and it just doesn't match with your current perspective and mindset.

In any case, I thought the game was quite wonderful irrespective of its story.

I'm just going to +1 this post. Loved every aspect of the game including the ending.

Nov 4, 2017
The scar was the gunshot wound tho
Yeah but that wasn't known at the time. Also when Sam still has the flashbacks after Lou's memory was wiped, it was pretty clear.
The story clicked and resonated with me way more than many other games ever do.

So I guess it's the ol' different strokes. Maybe you'd connect to it more in other periods of your life and it just doesn't match with your current perspective and mindset.

In any case, I thought the game was quite wonderful irrespective of its story.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I have a two year old daughter, don't have the best relationship with my parents and feel a bit isolated at times as I don't get much time to spend with friends anymore. So a lot of the game resonated with me.

There was a scene I mentioned in the OT where BB is off getting "repaired", so there I am trudging through the mountains alone, I crest a hill and see a desolate valley before me as "Rolling Over" by Low Roar starts, and Sam mutters "Where are you, Lou?". It fucking floored me. The loneliness of it, the thought of having a child taken away. It's rare for a game to hit me like that.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
I still had no idea. I figured his repressed memories were still in there or the wipe didn't work or 100 other things before "Maybe its Sam's memories" lol
Same here.

I didn't know Kojima could pull off a good plot twist. He sets it up nicely, sprinkles in plenty of hints, but I still didn't see it coming at. all. until the grand reveal.

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a well-written perspective on those vignettes you disliked. Maybe it will give you a new perspective on their purpose or value. If it doesn't, it's a fascinating read anyway.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ne88g7/death-strandings-hero-is-just-a-side-character
Nice, I've been looking for something like this since beating the game!
In that case, I will also heartily recommend this wonderful piece of writing.

If the more personal aspects of this piece are not your cup of tea, start with the paragraph titled 'On Drama' and go from there. As in-depth and inspired a discussion of the game's merits I've seen and some great insights.

https://medium.com/@DocSeuss/playthis-death-stranding-d22e660d2581
Nice, hadn't seen either of those, will be interested to read.

Since Amelie has come up a lot in the thread, it may be worth mentioning a few things that are sometimes missed. As described by reddit user Illithius (who has a bunch of helpful posts on the game):
"Cliff isn't dragging himself back from the other side all on his own. As I mentioned, he has an Amelie doll. Here's something a lot of people actually miss: Amelie is not only implied with the doll to have brought him back, but she outright confirms it during the beach sequence. She was reuniting Sam and Cliff so Sam would know he wasn't abandoned. Cliff coming back is all her doing. See here [Youtube link]."
"Amelie told us on the beach that she would isolate her beach, cut it off from everyone else. Sam asks if doing so would end the death stranding. From the way the scene plays out it appear that things happen like this:
  1. Lou has died. Sam relives his memories as a BB.
  2. He removes her from the pod to try to resuscitate her.
  3. She suddenly awakens holding Amelies quipu, meaning Amelie did indeed revive her.
  4. Sam walks out exposed to the rain and a normal rainbow that isn't inverted or lacking the colour blue is visible, implying this is regular rain and the death stranding has ended."
These notes about Amelie are also discussed in the latter sections of Tom van der Linden's video essay:
Looks like it hasn't been posted in this thread yet (video was only published on Dec 22nd), so I'll mention that I thought Tom van der Linden's presentation of key plot elements and themes from the game was well done (someone like him would have been a very helpful co-writer/editor for KojiPro). Along with the commentary I liked how the music complements his selection of key imagery from the game, in his 'Epilogue' ('Survival Entity') that starts at 53m44s:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
The ending didn't diminish things for me; I liked it a lot. Entire game pretty much exceeded my admittedly low or neutral expectations and it ended up being one of my favorite games of the year. I wonder if I'll have it in me though to play through it again on PC? :)

OP
OP
Golden

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Yeah but that wasn't known at the time. Also when Sam still has the flashbacks after Lou's memory was wiped, it was pretty clear.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I have a two year old daughter, don't have the best relationship with my parents and feel a bit isolated at times as I don't get much time to spend with friends anymore. So a lot of the game resonated with me.

There was a scene I mentioned in the OT where BB is off getting "repaired", so there I am trudging through the mountains alone, I crest a hill and see a desolate valley before me as "Rolling Over" by Low Roar starts, and Sam mutters "Where are you, Lou?". It fucking floored me. The loneliness of it, the thought of having a child taken away. It's rare for a game to hit me like that.
I'm intrigued that anyone had an emotional connection. I have children. I was the at home parent until they started school (about 5 years) and even carried them around on my front like Sam! Nevertheless I didn't feel any connection with Sam and bb and I didn't feel their bond felt real in any way.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Made it better for me.

At the very least, it's an ending that's more memorable than most.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
From the approach to the Chiral Relay to the conclusion is almost entirely awful. It's infuriating.

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the whole ending sequence. Was wacky Over the top fun and really enjoyed the twist. Idk man the game was fun for me. Wish I could play it for first time again. I kinda had a hunch about that twist. Was much bigger than MGSV's "twist" imo

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
The ending is what completely made the game for me--although I do have to admit, a large chunk after you beat Higgs felt a little unnecessary.

I nearly broke down at the finale, when you're carrying Lou to the incinerator, and you fully discover Cliff's relationship to Sam.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Loved the gameplay (which surprised me as I do not typically like open world games). Loved the story. Loved the ending. Can't wait for more Kojima.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Am watching the 2nd credits right now.
After you crossed the tar belt the game became a giant slog.

Way to much listing to people explaining stuff instead of playing the game.

Higgs was a push over in the end that got beat in a fist fight after being portrait the whole game as this powerful character.

The beach sequence was really long. I had to put the console in rest mode and take a nap.

I'm just glad Lou survived.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
It did feel a bit KH3 ish in how so much was explained on the beach. But I'd be lying if i said I didn't love the ending. The credit roll on the beach, the creamation (or lack thereof) of BB, and the "Louise" reveal. It was all dope. I thought the beach part wasn't pretentious like the 2 opening title cards (which I still lol at when I think about it).

This is a game I thought I beat 50 times and then it hit me with a new twist, or nope, there's more! I loved that. Reminded me of Okami.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The story in itself no, i liked it more than expected.

But Chapter 13 was without a doubt the worst hour i have spent on a videogame in the entire generation if not more.

Feb 10, 2018
You run (in any direction) for a minute, stop from exhaustion, get reset in the same place, run again next time when your get tired you get a bit of story. Repeat many times - how is that fun?

This. Just this. I don't understand how anyone can give a pass to this game or director for this. This is incredibly tedious, and for NOTHING, there's no reason to do that to the player, and the rewards (the cutscenes) are laughable at best.

I enjoyed the first part of the game, but the ending just soured the whole experience for me.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
wow, then you can go and do some more deliveries and the first thing you encounter in the World is a giant Crater and you get attacked by BTs..

couldn't they just set Episode 15 right after Episode 14?
you could cuddle with Lou when in your saferoom and in the world you could just do deliveries without the annoying BT areas.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I thought the ending, and really the entire final act, was great. It's one of the few times I felt the mystery that was set up in a story had an intriguing and satisfying payoff (I really love the establishment of the cycle of extinction events and extinction entities).

Yes the credits beach running dragged on forever and I was annoyed. However, there are few games that I don't get greatly annoyed at for a minimum of 10-15 minutes, and I understood in the moment the purpose of the monotony even if I didn't enjoy it.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
For everyone really bullish on hating the beach part:

If everything else about the ending was exactly the same, but that 40ish minute sequence was removed, would that fix everything for you?

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
This. Just this. I don't understand how anyone can give a pass to this game or director for this. This is incredibly tedious, and for NOTHING, there's no reason to do that to the player, and the rewards (the cutscenes) are laughable at best.

I enjoyed the first part of the game, but the ending just soured the whole experience for me.
You're saying "give them a pass" like we can do anything about it besides say it sucked lol.

Most people didn't like it, they say that, and then get over it. It's not like the rest of the game somehow magically didn't happen and has no merit because of a bad sequence.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Btw.: why did the guy in beginning have BB 28?
And how was it Sam itself at first and then his daughter?

There have been multiple BB's, Cliffs actual BB is Sam and the memories you are seeing are Sam's time as a BB not the equipped BB. Sam hasn't used BB's before, so when he's stranded at the beginning he plugs himself into the one that guy left behind, BB28, which he then keeps and gets attached to.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I cannot get over the name "Die-hardman".

It's german for "The Hard man".
I just think of Bruce Willis every time I hear it.
wow, then you can go and do some more deliveries and the first thing you encounter in the World is a giant Crater and you get attacked by BTs..

couldn't they just set Episode 15 right after Episode 14?
you could cuddle with Lou when in your saferoom and in the world you could just do deliveries without the annoying BT areas.
This is what I wanted, too. :/

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
For everyone really bullish on hating the beach part:

If everything else about the ending was exactly the same, but that 40ish minute sequence was removed, would that fix everything for you?
No. The game is still bullishly obnoxious with its use of metaphor, and I'm not sure if the game is just so fucking proud of itself for them or if it's so lacking in confidence about what it is trying to communicate. The player is constantly held captive to sit through any and every brazenly obvious explanation that doesn't add depth or nuance, and instead robs the game of any of its mystique.

"Do you see, Sam? My name as derived by this linguistic term explains that I... AM A LIE."

"It's like I'm... a cliff."

"I am Higgs... Y'know, like the life-giving particle? Do you get it?"

The game completely starts flailing wildly and it abandons nearly everything it does well after you get to the west coast.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
That beach sequence got me mad, like I wanted the game to end but it never would, and I still have to take bb to the incinerator..

Ocie

Jan 21, 2020
I loved the ending. The beach sequence really gave a feeling for the bleak purgatory Amelie was condemning herself to for humanity's sake.