• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
User Banned (1 Day): Platform wars, History of similar behavior
Console gamers About PC Gaming: Who cares, PC gaming is a hassle, hunching over mouse and keyboards pffff, and the drivers! I will always prefer consoles to PC!

Same people when a perceived exclusive comes to PC: "WITHOUT EXCLUSIVES
WHY WOULD ANYONE EVER WANT A CONSOLE, BETRAYALTHON, LITERALLY ARTHAS"

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Console gamers About PC Gaming: Who cares, PC gaming is a hassle, hunching over mouse and keyboards pffff, and the drivers! I will always prefer consoles to PC!

Yeah, this thread has honestly been a disappointment bonanza. Many •formerly• respectable posters are crying about the fact that.. more people get to enjoy a good game..? Why? Add on top of that the possibility of better graphics and performamce and I can only see win in this. This kinda reminds me of that time when Final Fantasy went multiplatform..

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is a huge thread, but has it been explained why this is happening? You don't normally have an exclusive of this magnitude become non-exclusive right before release.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

I kind of agree with you but with the sentiment that anyone who wanted to play an ms console exclusive owned a high end gaming rig and would rather play it there.

Now those people get to choose if they want to play the big holiday Sony exclusive on PC.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of agree with you but with the sentiment that anyone who wanted to play an ms console exclusive owned a high end gaming rig and would rather play it there.

Now those people get to choose if they want to play the big holiday Sony exclusive on PC.

It always has been console warring in disguise. People claiming "oh neat I'll play it on my high end PC" when it's about an exclusive from the other platform while playing the rest on their favorite platform.

Technika

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2018
Unless there is RTX support, there is no other reason to hold off for the PC for me.
Keyboard and mouse combo might be faster, but the controller and couch are more comfy.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
This is a huge thread, but has it been explained why this is happening? You don't normally have an exclusive of this magnitude become non-exclusive right before release.

Sony also seems to be at fault with the messaging. They seem to have this policy where Playstation first games cannot even mention the PC version up until a certain point, even if it's obvious it exists (stuff like Nioh, Nier, No Man's Sky). Most games people catch on, but this went so far into the 'permanent exclusive' territory with its messaging I have a feeling somebody was getting concerned (possibly KojiPro?) and decided to just announce it as it should have been announced months ago.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Who gives a shit about caring to buy some plastic? Did you get to play the game or not is the only thing that matters. Why the hell are you wanting to force something to be exclusive and make people to have to play on a PS4 if they would rather play on a PC? Not everyone wants to play on a PC and they will pick a PS5 or whatever -- having something not be exclusive to your preferred place to play shouldn't matter one damn bit to you.

Some people really can't sleep well at night knowing that others get to enjoy something that is also available outside their plastic piece.

Oh and it's also PlanetSmasher, so yeah.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Sony also seems to be at fault with the messaging. They seem to have this policy where Playstation first games cannot even mention the PC version up until a certain point, even if it's obvious it exists (stuff like Nioh, Nier, No Man's Sky). Most games people catch on, but this went so far into the 'permanent exclusive' territory with its messaging I have a feeling somebody was getting concerned (possibly KojiPro?) and decided to just announce it as it should have been announced months ago.

I think the decision to use Decima engine, an engine that Sony have never even hinted at wanting to license for use on other platforms, was a turning point in the perception of the nature of the exclusivity.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
It's a PlayStation game releasing on multiple platforms due to the arrangement between its independent developer (KP) and its IP owner, publisher and co-financer (SIE). It was never a total exclusive, as the confusing wording implied since the start; it will always be a PlayStation game, regardless of the box where it's played.

As for this announcement, we can only speculate. Conversation around the game has reached a high point; it's additional exposure at a very low price. Perhaps there were details to be solved between all the parts until now, perhaps it was thought that more noise a week before release would make for a bigger impression. Whatever the reason, it doesn't change the nature of what's been announced, or who's behind the IP.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
It's a PlayStation game releasing on multiple platforms due to the arrangement between its independent developer (KP) and its IP owner, publisher and co-financer (SIE). It was never a total exclusive, as the confusing wording implied since the start; it will always be a PlayStation game, regardless of the box where it's played.

As for this announcement, we can only speculate. Conversation around the game has reached a high point; it's additional exposure at a very low price. Perhaps there were details to be solved between all the parts until now, perhaps it was thought that more noise a week before release would make for a bigger impression. Whatever the reason, it doesn't change the nature of what's been announced, or who's behind the IP.
My best guess is that Sony wanted to sell more Playstation consoles in the time between the game was announced and the PC release was confirmed, so in the initial contract negotiations (or perhaps in further negotiations when the engine decision was made) Kojima Productions agreed to no longer talk about the PC version until the week before it releases on PS4.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
My best guess is that Sony wanted to sell more Playstation consoles in the time between the game was announced and the PC release was confirmed, so in the initial contract negotiations (or perhaps in further negotiations when the engine decision was made) Kojima Productions agreed to no longer talk about the PC version until the week before it releases on PS4.
It's very possible. We know any typical marketing deal (though this goes well beyond that) treats other versions as non-existent, even when they do exist. Above there were a few examples, but it's general practice for any of the major publishers.

I can't begin to imagine how difficult this negotiation must have been. There's a big focus, and with good reason, on its multiplatform nature, but it's also significant that Hideo Kojima, of all people, gave up the ownership of its first independent project to another company. I think everybody had to make some concession, hopefully the result it's worth it.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
he's got 505 publishing his game so it's not up to him
You really think someone like Kojima just handed his baby to some company to do whatever they please with it on PC? He'll have a say. That being said I'm sure 505 could talk him into being totally ok with them going for a big Epic deal.

Unless there is RTX support, there is no other reason to hold off for the PC for me.
Keyboard and mouse combo might be faster, but the controller and couch are more comfy.
Controller and couch Death Stranding is not playstation exclusive either. :p

Last edited:
May 9, 2018
Great news but, as others have said, the timing is extremely weird. Really can't think of any incentive to announce this now as opposed to 3 months from now.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
The problem is avoiding spoilers until next year. YouTube thumbnails I'm looking at you.
I played MGS V when it came out, I never finished the game and it was not until earlier this week when I had the game spoiled for me. I went years without knowing what happens.

That was for Kojimas last go so maybe it would be the same for this game for some people?

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, ain't that a surprise.

I guess everyone who held out hope it was still coming to PC were right, but what the hell is going on over at Sony. They intentionally misled people as much as possible. This is worse than when MS locked down Tomb Raider timed exclusivity, at least the press forced them to reveal the truth, here no-one seemed to care either way.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️

I guess everyone who held out hope it was still coming to PC were right, but what the hell is going on over at Sony. They intentionally misled people as much as possible. This is worse than when MS locked down Tomb Raider timed exclusivity, at least the press forced them to reveal the truth, here no-one seemed to care either way.
lol its not that serious, not everything has to be apart of the fanboy wars.

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017

Yep they sure misled people by announcing the PC version a couple weeks before the PS4 version came out /sarcasm.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yep they sure misled people by announcing the PC version a couple weeks before the PS4 version came out /sarcasm.
It is pretty obvious that Sony didn't want people to know about the PC version until later on, because the announcement of it and the notion that it was a ps4 exclusive was helping them sell PS4 consoles.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

And this time, it was already announced as a "console exclusive" and also had that infamous Medium QA which was removed talking about a PC release.

Yes, there is indeed a double standard. Let's say that for exemple, Geoff is more than willing to ask "many people at MS" about RotTR exclusivity:

Yet you don't see the same willingness about other cases such as FFVII Remake nor Death Stranding.
Now in all fairness, there might also be some guidelines regarding interviews in which interviewers are told not to ask about certain topics.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
The problem is that "console exclusivity" is not really all that valuable of a thing. It weakens the strength of a platform if a significant portion of your "exclusives" can be played elsewhere.

At some point, you go from "you can only get this here" to "you can get this everywhere EXCEPT here", and that's just dumb.

"Exclusively not on [X]" is not the way the business should be arcing - it was dumb when Microsoft tried to do "exclusively not on Playstation" deals and it's dumb when Sony tries to do "exclusively not on Xbox" deals.

So which do you prefer, as a gamer?

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
And this time, it was already announced as a "console exclusive" and also had that infamous Medium QA which was removed talking about a PC release.

Yes, there is indeed a double standard. Let's say that for exemple, Geoff is more than willing to ask "many people at MS" about RotTR exclusivity:

Yet you don't see the same willingness about other cases such as FFVII Remake nor Death Stranding.
Now in all fairness, there might also be some guidelines regarding interviews in which interviewers are told not to ask about certain topics.
its been over 5 years and people are still bringing this up....and who thinks FFVII Remake is an actual exclusive?

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
There is definitely a double standard when it comes to exclusives and the ps platform. I dont believe anyone would argue otherwise.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
There is definitely a double standard when it comes to exclusives and the ps platform. I dont believe anyone would argue otherwise.
I'd argue, I find the idea of some industry wide bias ridiculous way too many people in the press nowadays for that.
No one. But as I said too, I don't see anyone pressing Square Enix nor Sony in any way to get informations about that matter.
The game was announced as debuting on PS4, we know it'll get released on other platforms at a latter time.......why would anyone in the media need to push for info. This all seems extreamly standard nowadays.

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
I'll check my NDAs over the weekend and see what I can and cannot state around this story and dramarama. Imagine knowing the whole story and not being able to talk about it right? RIGHT?

I need to update my job title (I work at Social Point as the Lead CM right now), I left 505 Games at the end of August, when Control launched.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
I'll check my NDAs over the weekend and see what I can and cannot state around this story and dramarama. Imagine knowing the whole story and not being able to talk about it right? RIGHT?

I need to update my job title (I work at Social Point as the Lead CM right now), I left 505 Games at the end of August, when Control launched.

Do it.

Feb 26, 2018

Game that was already on a Sony platform going exclusive for one platform vs Sony game that where never confirmed to be exclusive releasing on PC . Absolutely the same situation

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona

"I fight for the users" was my quote when I worked at PlayStation. Even though I still believe in being honest, upfront and stating things how they actually happened, I need to check every little wording of every NDA I have signed to make sure I'm not breaking any rules. I have a family to feed and I'm a bit tired getting "blamed" for things I shouldn't be blamed for in the first place. There is a lot of - in my opinion unneeded - drama in the videogame space so better to be safe than sorry ;)

Feb 26, 2018
"I fight for the users" was my quote when I worked at PlayStation. Even though I still believe in being honest, upfront and stating things how they actually happened, I need to check every little wording of every NDA I have signed to make sure I'm not breaking any rules. I have a family to feed and I'm a bit tired getting "blamed" for things I shouldn't be blamed for in the first place. There is a lot of - in my opinion unneeded - drama in the videogame space so better to be safe than sorry ;)
Appreciate it. But IMO don't risk it if you think it can backfire

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Understatement of the year lol.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019

LOL , some of you man.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd argue, I find the idea of some industry wide bias ridiculous way too many people in the press nowadays for that.

The game was announced as debuting on PS4, we know it'll get released on other platforms at a latter time.......why would anyone in the media need to push for info. This all seems extreamly standard nowadays.

I dont think theres an industry wide bias but theres key people, and a fanbase that will absolutely go to bat across social media and more to really pressurised other companies to clarify exactly the terms of their exclusivity.....until they buckle.

This simply does not happen to Sony. If it has it shouldnt take long to provide proof. But I cant find any.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
I dont think theres an industry wide bias but theres key people, and a fanbase that will absolutely go to bat across social media and more to really pressurised other companies to clarify exactly the terms of their exclusivity.....until they buckle.

This simply does not happen to Sony. If it has it shouldnt take long to provide proof. But I cant find any.
I think that just down the the audience size, I mean theres more than twice the amount of PS players than xbox. And can you give more than one example of this actually happening becasue outside of tomb raider(used to be associated with PS exclusively), I don't think devs have been forced by outrage to come out about unannounced platforms.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Is it worth it though ? :p
There's no blame to shift on you. There never were any.