• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Good for PC players! Sounds to me like Kojima always planned on making a mulitplat and Sony cut him a deal for timed and console exclusivity. I doubt this will be at all common going forward.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
It's a Sony IP and they agreed on a PC version back in 2015. All "surprise reactions" regarding this issue are ridiculous.
Bruh pretty much every neutral person who has spoken about this game has been saying that for years. It was the hardcore fanboys who spent long hours trying to convince everyone it wasn't coming to PC and it's not unexpected that some people believed them. If those fanboys didn't do that we wouldn't even be discussing this now. It's honestly pathetic that there are people who want something to be locked to one platform forever and will dedicate hours of their life trying to convince you of that.

Oct 25, 2017
This really shouldn't be that big of a surprise to people when the project was announced they said it was coming to PC. That fact has not been mentioned since but that's because Sony is marketing / publishing the PS4 release and have no reason to mention the PC version.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
The only annoying things about this announcement is that the PC version isn't coming sooner or that steam isn't listed yet.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
a new ip is more interesting than a sequel anyway

i'm glad we got sekiro instead of bloodborne 2

I don't agree. Some games deserve a follow-up in order to improve or perfect concepts premiered in the initial idea. That's not to say devs should only ever make sequels and never try anything new, but constantly jumping from new IP to new IP means nothing ever has a chance to grow or get better.

And honestly, I just plain don't like Sekiro after playing it, so I don't consider Sekiro a fair trade for a BB2.

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My point is that Sony seems categorically awful at maintaining their Japanese IP, instead signing one-and-done contracts with third parties who immediately bail on them to make multiplatform games.

I would prefer Sony was able to treat their Japanese franchises the same way they do their Western ones, where we don't have to immediately assume that every Japanese exclusive is doomed to be a one-and-done game that can never be improved upon.
This seems like a start of great japanese exclusive franchise for Sony which will most likely get multiple sequels.
You think all the investment and support Sony gave to Kojima was just for this one game? Come on.
Would not even be surprised if the acquired them.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
All things considered, it is getting kind of frustrating how Sony keeps setting up developers to succeed without them.

Like, I get it, business is business, but as someone who feels really unserved by Sony's ACTUAL first party offerings this gen it would be really nice if they could treat their Japanese exclusives with the same level of importance as their Western ones and actually KEEP some as exclusives or franchises for a change instead of setting the developers up to run away to multiplatform after one game.
I agree with you.

Sony was clowned in a sense with this game but I think it's because Kojima had too much leverage.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Putting a game on pc hasn't hurt sales of Call of Duty, NBA etc. If anything, it adds to the hype plus extra digital foundry videos.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck yesssss! Feels good dodging the bullet that was the inferior PS4 version. Day one for the inevitable Steam release.
All things considered, it is getting kind of frustrating how Sony keeps setting up developers to succeed without them.

Like, I get it, business is business, but as someone who feels really unserved by Sony's ACTUAL first party offerings this gen it would be really nice if they could treat their Japanese exclusives with the same level of importance as their Western ones and actually KEEP some as exclusives or franchises for a change instead of setting the developers up to run away to multiplatform after one game.
Why do you care? How does publishing the game for PC affect you in any way?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a start of great japanese exclusive franchise for Sony which will most likely get multiple sequels.
You think all the investment and support Sony gave to Kojima was just for this one game? Come on.
Would not even be surprised if the acquired them.

I no longer have any faith in Sony as far as upkeeping Japanese IP goes. They've squandered every single one they've made the past couple of years, so unless they acquire KojiPro within the next couple of months I will be expecting some third party company like Kadokawa to snap them up instead.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I'm glad because this will mean the review thread will be a little more tolerable now that its not only coming to PS4.

I'll probably double dip but no way I'm waiting 7+ months to play this. imagine being spoiled. Hell I took the day off work, cant wait.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I saw this on twitter and I knew I shouldnt have read the comments :P

Fuck yesssss! Feels good dodging the bullet that was the inferior PS4 version. Day one for the inevitable Steam release.

Why do you care? How does publishing the game for PC affect you in any way?

I guess it's coming at some point.. but I could see a certain launcher being all over long term exclusivity for this one.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
since people are enjoying those tweets, here's some more:

screenshot2019-10-28ao0k7n.png

screenshot2019-10-28a8pkdd.png

screenshot2019-10-28algjo3.png

screenshot2019-10-28aqxktw.png

screenshot2019-10-28akekvv.png

screenshot2019-10-28aurkc1.png

screenshot2019-10-28ax0kix.png

screenshot2019-10-28apqj1u.png

tenor.gif

What the fuck did I just read

Nessii013

May 31, 2019

I'm confused, are you saying you wish developers would stay first party and never grow to expand a game's availability to as many people as possible?

Not trying to accuse, I'm just trying to understand the rationale behind wanting games and developers to stay first party rather than become cross-platform. I've loved Halo since CE but I feel like it would be great if others could experience it too without an Xbox (or even a PC).

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people arguing that Sony got clowned? They didn't. They licensed out one of their game engines to an extremely popular game dev. It's a smart move. They will profit off of the timed exclusivity of the game on their platform, I'm sure they profit off of the licensing of the engine while the game sells on PC, and they get to show off the capabilities this engine on another platform to other potential developers who may want to use it in the future.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
Bruh pretty much every neutral person who has spoken about this game has been saying that for years.
The only other time I said it I got like 4 replies, demanding more receipts, even though it was very clear since the original announcement. I realized it wasn't worth it, tbh.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bruh pretty much every neutral person who has spoken about this game has been saying that for years. It was the hardcore fanboys who spent long hours trying to convince everyone it wasn't coming to PC and it's not unexpected that some people believed them. If those fanboys didn't do that we wouldn't even be discussing this now. It's honestly pathetic that there are people who want something to be locked to one platform for forever and will dedicate hours of their life trying to convince you of that.
They were plenty good reasons to think that such port wouldn't be released, among one strong argument for it (the first contractual statement made by SIE)..

LordOcidax

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weird timing... Still great news, now i don't have to buy a PS4 Pro again if the game is good. Thanks Kojima.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused, are you saying you wish developers would stay first party and never grow to expand a game's availability to as many people as possible?

Not trying to accuse, I'm just trying to understand the rationale behind wanting games and developers to stay first party rather than become cross-platform. I've loved Halo since CE but I feel like it would be great if others could experience it too without an Xbox (or even a PC).

First party games are a good thing. They provide differentiation between increasingly homogeneous platforms and allow the console manufacturers to deliver experiences tailor made for their machines.

Third party exclusives are a slightly different can of worms, but in my case I'm specifically talking about first-party titles, which at this point in time are literally the only reason one would buy ANY particular console. If the content isn't there, why bother?

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why are people arguing that Sony got clowned? They didn't. They licensed out one of their game engines to an extremely popular game dev. It's a smart move. They will profit off of the timed exclusivity of the game on their platform, I'm sure they profit off of the licensing of the engine while the game sells on PC, and they get to show off the capabilities this engine on another platform to other potential developers who may want to use it in the future.

Sony will profit off every copy of this game sold on PC because it's their IP. If anything this will benefit them more financially.

So the announcement timing is not that surprising. Buying the PC version instead of PS4? Sony still gets your money.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Epic has ruined all of these announcements for me. Can't really get excited until we know the details.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Why did this announcement come about 10-11 days before the PS4 release? And not much earlier or a bit later ?

Seems unlikely, but maybe they're only just now ironing out the publishing deals and PC development goals and went straight to announcement? The timing is odd considering usual marketing agreements, but maybe this deal with Sony is different. KojiPro seems to have much more leeway.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Goddamn, Kojima must have really pulled some favors fo get the kind of funding he did from Sony for this to not even be exclusive. Will be playing on PS4 pro and then I might double dip for the PC version, depending on how good it is.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
First party games are a good thing. They provide differentiation between increasingly homogeneous platforms and allow the console manufacturers to deliver experiences tailor made for their machines.

Third party exclusives are a slightly different can of worms, but in my case I'm specifically talking about first-party titles, which at this point in time are literally the only reason one would buy ANY particular console. If the content isn't there, why bother?
Because people like you who refuse to play on pc or get an Xbox will still buy a PlayStation and the game.

It's still exclusive to that console.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Sony should make a launcher and store for their games, tie it to psn,trophies etc, make it an extension to their ecosystem.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
My point is that Sony seems categorically awful at maintaining their Japanese IP, instead signing one-and-done contracts with third parties who immediately bail on them to make multiplatform games.

I would prefer Sony was able to treat their Japanese franchises the same way they do their Western ones, where we don't have to immediately assume that every Japanese exclusive is doomed to be a one-and-done game that can never be improved upon.
I don't see why Kojima wouldn't make a sequel if that's the game he wants to make next.

And if he didn't want to be locked into making sequels to this game, he wouldn't have agreed to any other type of deal in the first place.

Sony doesn't have the ultimate power of creators; they could buy long term exclusivity and end up w/ unhappy devs who leave companies anyways and then the sequels suffer. See: most of what MS has done over the years.