• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Ahh I was 50/50 on if you were joking or not lol. Yea, MGSV was such a heartbreaking departure from what my expectations were. I'm immensely thrilled at what we seem to be getting here with DS. Just praying it doesn't suffer the same fate mid-game.

Oh yeah. Me too. This is the one game I'm actively anticipating. It's the only game I'm looking forward the whole year.

Next year that will be TLOU Part II.

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds interesting. Really happy for what seems like long crazy cutscenes.

Can't wait for the (hopefully) TGS gameplay reveal!

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Sam has to activate the stations that were built by their efforts over these 3 years along the way.

He has it much easier since there was already work done by Amelie and her team.
Yeah, just reached that part in the vid lol. Spoke too soon :D

Everything seems pretty straightforward though. Connect the Q-Pid to the Chiral Network Terminals scattered across America to connect folks to the UCA and save Amelie in Edge Knot City so she can resume her presidency over the UCA.

Also with this trailer, the cities we know of now are
  • Edge Knot City (Los Angeles)
  • Capital Knot City (Washington D.C)
  • Central Knot City (???, destroyed)

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
"The United Cities of America", oh lord.
UCA has been a known quantity for years now. Due to the events of the Death Stranding the idea of "states" in America have been relinquished with people now living fragmented and isolated in fear of one other. The only places that seem to have remained are the cities such as Edge Knot (L.A.) and Capital Knot (D.C.).

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Amelie is expecting Sam to do what she couldn't do in three years LOL

Lol yeah though seems like she did a bulk of the work setting up these outposts and whatnot too while avoiding all the B.Ts and craters. Sam's job is now to go these outposts and terminals and basically activate them.

I also mentioned in the other thread how the trailer seems to imply possibly that Sam is part of the same family as Amelie and Bridget. Amelie's name seems to be Samantha Strand and Sam says he's "Sam Porter Bridges" and he's not a Strand any more.

Deleted member 36543

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Im liking where this is going. I hope Kojima goes back to a group of Mini-bosses. Like Foxhound, and the Squad in Snake Eater. Unique personality and abilities, with a past.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Game's gonna stomp all over the competition.

And yeah, despite reading a breakdown of the trailer before it's all so clear now.

Competition?

I think this games only competition is a full on K-hole or DMT flight.
I would have said a tab, but i think thats probably the only way to actually understand what is actually going on in this shit.

Although im genuinely curious how this game does critically....both from users and journos....we get what his mission is, but whats the gameplay loop of this game....and is it worth it.

P.S Her hologram tried to stop his physical body from leaving by standing in from of him?
I am nowhere near high enough for this ship

Deleted member 36543

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
UCA has been a known quantity for years now. Due to the events of the Death Stranding the idea of "states" in America have been relinquished with people now living fragmented and isolated in fear of one other. The only places that seem to have remained are the cities such as Edge Knot (L.A.) and Capital Knot (D.C.).
Wait I thought edge knot was the center of the U.S and no one has made it past that? Amelie was capture in Edge knot.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Another trailer that does nothing to shed light on exactly how this game will play.
I'm getting so tired of these posts. We've known the general gist of the gameplay loop ever since the E3 2018 trailer and now we know exactly how everything comes together with the BRIEFING trailer in the OP.

You play as Sam 'Porter' Bridges, a courier for the United Cities of America (UCA). You deliver cargo and other things to fractured settlements scattered across a post-apocalyptic United States through Chiral Network Terminals on behalf of the company 'BRIDGES'. Cargo plays a major factor in how you traverse the world. Carrying too much makes you susceptible to tripping and potentially damaging your load. You have constantly manage your Sam's weight and balance which makes even basic things like walking a challenge.

wyTwLds.gif

You can equip various 'skeleton' enhancements to help traverse the world easier such as the power skeleton which lets you carry more cargo and equipment or the speed skeleton which makes you walk faster.

Sam is asked by Die-Hardman (commander of BRIDGES) and Amelie (President of the United Cities of America) to finish the job of reuniting America she started three years ago after a series of supernatural phenomena and explosions known as the 'Death Stranding' rocked the entire world and destroyed modern civilization, bringing about interdimensional beings known as 'BTs' or 'Beached Things' that are stuck on Earth and roam the wastes, looking for humans to kill. This has naturally caused civilization to return to a sort of pre-industrial society in all but technology, with people forming small settlements that keep to themselves instead of coming together as one cohesive unit.

Die-Hardman also wants Sam to save Amelie in the process after she was captured by Higgs and the Homo Demens who control Edge Knot City (Los Angeles) and oppose the UCA's goal of reuniting America. They want to secure the independence of Edge Knot City and unite the various settlements through fear and force.

Sam reuniting America involves trekking across a barren wasteland forming 'strands' with settlements that are eager to join the UCA by going up to Chiral Network Terminals and connecting your Q-pid to them. While you do this, you need to be wary of the many dangers the world has to offer such as BTs and Homo Demens. Dying in this game places you in a sort of purgatory state where you have to find your way out from the 'other side' and wake up. Once you do, this forms a permanent crater in the spot you died in which has a severe impact on the game world.

It really isn't that hard to grasp.

Wait I thought edge knot was the center of the U.S and no one has made it past that? Amelie was capture in Edge knot.
Edge Knot is on the West Coast, it's near-future Los Angeles according to Eurogamer. You're going from East to West like they say in the video.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really don't want to watch this with awful quality. I'm going to go outside and pretend I didn't see this thread.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
I'm getting so tired of these posts. We've known the general gist of the gameplay loop ever since the E3 2018 trailer and now we know exactly how everything comes together

You play as Sam 'Porter' Bridges, a courier for the UCA. You deliver cargo and other things to fractured settlements through Chiral Network Terminals on behalf of the company 'BRIDGES'. Cargo plays a major factor in how you traverse the world. Carrying too much makes you susceptible to tripping and potentially them and damaging it. You can equip various 'skeleton' enhancements to help traverse the world easier such as the power skeleton which lets you carry more cargo and equipment or the speed skeleton which makes you walk faster.

Sam is asked by Die-Hardman and Amelie to finish the job of reuniting America and saving her. This involves trekking across a barren wasteland forming 'strands' with settlements that are eager to join the UCA by going up to Chiral Network Terminals and connecting your Q-pid to them. While you do this, you need to be wary of the many dangers the world has to offer such as BTs and Homo Demens. It really isn't that hard to grasp.

That's all well and good but what do you do, man?!?

Deleted member 36543

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Another trailer that does nothing to shed light on exactly how this game will play.
From the looks of it : The game is about walking around connecting the cities you come upon to the UCA database. The USB necklace thing is the key to activate the hubs that were rendered inactive by the Homo Demens. I'm guessing the hubs is communication from DC. You will meet people along the way who will ask you to deliver items so they will assist you in obtaining supplies needed to repair the hubs ( maybe ). You will hopefully fight bosses from the Homo Demens along the way to free the cities. And if you die, you will enter this afterlife like place where you will meet Cliff ( some godlike motherfukker ) and the City area you're trying to save/connect will become a crater. So you can't 100% the game if you fuck up and create the crater event.

Last edited:

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

You walk to places, you drive to places and you sneak around or shoot stuff. How hard can it be to not troll when there have been trailers showing the gameplay loop?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
That's all well and good but what do you do, man?!?
I'm hoping people copy+paste that post of mine whenever anyone asks. I think I did a good job of summing it up, lol.

I can understand being confused about the game like a year or two ago but we're three months away from the launch of the game and have a fully solid grasp of what the gameplay is so I can't help but feel posters going "but what do you DOOOOOOOOOOOOO THO?!" are either concern trolling or not really interested in knowing.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Wonder what makes Sam change his mind.

I also assume that when Sam reaches Edge Knot City this game will turn into MGS, even if only for a bit.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I'm hoping people copy+paste that post of mine whenever anyone asks. I think I did a good job of summing it up, lol.

I can understand being confused about the game like a year or two ago but we're three months away from the launch of the game and have a fully solid grasp of what the gameplay is so I can't help but feel posters going "but what do you DOOOOOOOOOOOOO THO?!" are either concern trolling or not really interested in knowing.
From the looks of it if what we've seen is the gameplay loop, then I'm out, I guess I thought there'd be combat in this game. We've seen him fight a couple guys and shoot someone for half a second, I guess I just figured by now we would have seen a lengthy gameplay trailer. From start to finish not sprinkled in while majority of the trailer is cutscenes.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
From the looks of it if what we've seen is the gameplay loop, then I'm out, I guess I thought there'd be combat in this game. We've seen him fight a couple guys and shoot someone for half a second, I guess I just figured by now we would have seen a lengthy gameplay trailer. From start to finish not sprinkled in while majority of the trailer is cutscenes.
There is combat and gunplay - that much is clear - but for story and gameplay reasons it's not emphasised or encouraged. For example, if you kill people in the game either you have to carry the bodies and dispose of them (which is a gameplay challenge in of itself) or they will be claimed by BTs and add to the overall number of potential enemy encounters, things you have to sneak past without being caught, or create a crater in the world which will make your traversal (a fundamental part of the game) more difficult. However, I'm sure there will be parts of the game where combat is required such as the boss battles we already know are in the game, but I've no idea if there's a way to get around these moments any other way.

Last edited:

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I'm more interested in knowing how the BT sections will play out, combat seems useless but stealth also doesn't seem to be a solution judging by the trailers since Sam got caught twice.

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
I too would like to reverberate that I'm happy long ass cutscenes are back!

They're back baby!

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
After the E3 2018 trailer aired, Kojima stated that this specific trailer would be a 'silent' one with no explosions or gunfights.

It's very obvious that he's trying to emphasise a sort of 'non-lethal, no engagement' strategy with this game. That's where the stealth and sneaking around comes in. He doesn't want people going around and killing people indiscriminately. This isn't MGS. You aren't some super-powered spy, you're just some dude who delivers shit. Killing people means BTs claim their bodies which leads to more craters in the game world. Hell, in the Release Date trailer, the human enemies aren't even trying to kill you, they're trying to stun you as they realize leaving corpses out in the open has the drastic consequence of bringing about Void Outs on the world which even THEY want to avoid.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
How can you complain about the lack of any combat in the game while giving two specific examples of said combat. Wat. LOL

Plus we've also got footage of fighting a boss B.T where we're able to use different ammunition types etc.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting so tired of these posts. We've known the general gist of the gameplay loop ever since the E3 2018 trailer and now we know exactly how everything comes together

You play as Sam 'Porter' Bridges, a courier for the UCA. You deliver cargo and other things to fractured settlements through Chiral Network Terminals on behalf of the company 'BRIDGES'. Cargo plays a major factor in how you traverse the world. Carrying too much makes you susceptible to tripping and potentially them and damaging it. You can equip various 'skeleton' enhancements to help traverse the world easier such as the power skeleton which lets you carry more cargo and equipment or the speed skeleton which makes you walk faster.

Sam is asked by Die-Hardman and Amelie to finish the job of reuniting America she started three years ago and saving her in the process after being captured by Higgs and the Homo Demens who control Edge Knot City and oppose the UCA's goal of reuniting America. They want to secure the independence of Edge Knot City and unite the various settlements through fear and force.

Sam reuniting America involves trekking across a barren wasteland forming 'strands' with settlements that are eager to join the UCA by going up to Chiral Network Terminals and connecting your Q-pid to them. While you do this, you need to be wary of the many dangers the world has to offer such as BTs and Homo Demens. It really isn't that hard to grasp.

Edge Knot is on the West Coast, it's near-future Los Angeles according to Eurogamer. You're going from East to West like they say in the video.
Excellent post

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
Reminded me of that Lucky Luke episode\story, where they are trying to establish contact between two sides of america by building telegraph poles.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Combat is very much not the main focus of the game, Rope instead of the stick concept that kojima mentioned at the very beginning. Killing has major consequences in this game and its effects will ripple throughout not only your play-trough but those of others as well. Whenever a BT in the game eats a human it causes a void-out (massive crater) which as I understand will shape the landscape of the game for everybody.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Not even worth watching. That is ass quality. Gimme the real thing at TGS or I'll wait for release

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019

My wonder is their gonna be actual gun combat or is it all H2H and bosses.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
well their is my answer been avoiding most trailers or watching only small bits due to not wanting the whole load blown like MGSV before i play it.
It's worth mentioning that gun combat isn't the best option in this game as if a BT comes across a dead body, it will trigger a Voidout leaving a permanent crater in the game world, like this.

1LtWoxZ.jpg

The reason why Sam is shooting this dude here is because the guy is undead, meaning if it were to die, no Voidout.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
It's worth mentioning that gun combat isn't the best option in this game as if a BT comes across a dead body, it will trigger a Voidout leaving a permanent crater in the game world, like this.

1LtWoxZ.jpg

The reason why Sam is shooting this dude here is because the guy is undead, meaning if it were to die, no Voidout.

Aren't Void Outs triggered if B.Ts consume living people? In that same trailer the Bridges guy was rapidly trying to kill himself before being eaten.

The release date trailer also has you fighting a B.T boss in the real world with the assault rifle.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Aren't Void Outs triggered if B.Ts consume living people? In that same trailer the Bridges guy was rapidly trying to kill himself before being eaten.
I think I may have got it mixed up lol. But it brings to question, why were the human enemies in the Release Date Trailer trying to stun Sam with stun rods instead of killing him? Like my theory was that by killing him, BTs could just consume his body and a Voidout would happen anyways which the enemies would want to prevent. Things like the BRIDGES Corpse Disposal Team has to exist for a reason, right? We know that when a person dies in Death Stranding, they're cremated, not buried.

They wouldn't just let dead corpses litter the game world because I'd assume BTs would want them. Kojima emphasising non-lethal engagements too has me thinking that both BTs and that killing enemies can still lead to craters, even if you aren't killed. Yet another avenue of challenge. We know voidouts are triggered through BTs consuming people so I don't think it matters if they're alive or dead, though the guy trying to kill himself in the TGA 2017 trailer is a bit curious, maybe he did it so he didn't wanna suffer as what awaited him may have been extremely painful?