• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018

Thanks. I'm just fine. Keep your hype levels in check friend.

That's just irrational, having fictional characters adds absolutely nothing to a game (they're played by actors too you know?).

Feels like you're just hating for the sake of hating.

Why would I hate something for no reason? Yea, the medium in videogames is that it could be anyone or anything, most just lend voices. I prefer fictional.

What an absolutely strange take? Real live actors have been lending their likeness to games for decades now and its not live they haven't been lending their likeness to other mediums for even longer. Do you go to the movies and bawk at the fact that fictional characters are being played by actual people because that's how silly this take is

It takes actual people to play and portray those characters. Videogames do not have that restriction.

I don't understand how can someone have this opinion.

It is just that, an opinion.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
I mean at this point, does it even matter how the game turns out? I am in for the Kojima mind trip alone. Maybe I am part of the problem but damn i'm ready to be weirded the fuck out.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You must not have been around before HZD and GOW released as you sound just like a lot of nay sayers. "A post apocalyptic game starring a tribal redhead lady fighting robot dinosaurs from the Killzone people? That's weird and I'm not sure this isn't gonna do so hot."

TLG sold more its first month than Ico's entire lifetime sales combined with the first 8 months of sales for SotC which was a $40 game on the PS2. It sold significantly more than its predecessors.
Always believed in HZD, don't lump me in with its haters. Check my post history, its one of the things I most talk about on this forum. I thought GOW would do like 7M but it did well past that, no shame in admitting it.

That's good to hear about regarding TLG but what are its lifetimes sales?

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The most niche game of all time!

That gets a 9 minute trailer to #2 on overall Youtube trending...

Fake Edit: I believe that this game can get to 10 million sales lifetime.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It takes actual people to play and portray those characters. Videogames do not have that restriction.

So why should we make an arbitrary restriction against using them in gaming? Do you have trouble watching animated films with big name actors voicing the characters? What about CGI characters in movies that are modeled after the actor playing the part?

Oct 25, 2017
Over 4 million views and a ton of likes.

Good God.

I always say I want something NEW. Even if its crazy. Just give me something I can't possibly think of, and by God, I've gotten it.

I understand some people who says its not for them. Thats cool. But I desperately want to know more about this world.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think DS will be successful but there is a lot of room for success without hitting 10mil. That seems overreaching.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
For all the complaints about the marketing for this game, every trailer has been awesome at giving a taste of the game without spoiling too much. These are great trailers, who needs the whole game to be revealed?

borat

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
So why should we make an arbitrary restriction against using them in gaming? Do you have trouble watching animated films with big name actors voicing the characters?

I agree with your overall point but this is one of my pet peeves. Especially when they don't try to change their voice or do something with it. I don't have trouble watching them but it does annoy me.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Lol I went to a conference early in the morning, came to my office, check the trailer and it's already past 4 million views? DAAAAYUMMM! Here's to 6 million views 14 hours from now.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
1poi.gif

How dare someone have a different opinion than you?

That's the thing, it also takes actual people to play those characters.

Sometimes. Animation is also a thing.

So why should we make an arbitrary restriction against using them in gaming? Do you have trouble watching animated films with big name actors voicing the characters? What about CGI characters in movies that are modeled after the actor playing the part?

It's not about restrictions, its just not for me, you can enjoy what you like. CGI movies don't bother me because I don't have to see the same people invade the medium I enjoy over and over again.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

It's not about restrictions, its just not for me, you can enjoy what you like. CGI movies don't bother me because I don't have to see the same people invade the medium I enjoy over and over again.
So is mocap, which uses real human's movements and translates them to an animation. Sometimes those human's give their likeness or the actors do, see Troy Baker's character looking like Troy Baker.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
when was the last time a video game trailer was trending on youtube?

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
I'm laughing at your assertion that this is uninspired and uninteresting, that we're all hyped because of 'real actors', whatever that means.
It's not complicated.

That's not even what I was trying to say, but it ties in with the hype. Why are you worried about how I feel about this game's trailer that possible you didn't even understand either? Keep insulting others over videogames pal!

So is mocap, which uses real human's movements and translates them to an animation. Sometimes those human's give their likeness or the actors do, see Troy Baker's character looking like Troy Baker.

This doesn't bother me. But Troy Baker being in every god damned game has become a meme in itself.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Kojima is as bad a writer as George Lucas, but my god he can craft some amazing worlds and crazy b-movie plots that I just can't get enough of. Bring it on!

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

That is quite the aggressive attitude with throwing around words like "invade". Anyway, I am not too fond of CGI versions of real life actors being portrayed but it is more prevalent now than ever and given the context of Kojima's aspirations it makes sense.

Also, "Animation is also a thing"... what?! Do you mean 3D modelling artists because it is not the job of animators (generally) to create 3D characters from ground up. Also, it is well known by now that facial and mo-cap are done together for reducing animation workload and improving finer details. TLoU II for example transplants reference animation from the actors onto the corresponding fictitious 3D models and fine tunes them manually.

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Trolling over a series of posts
That's not even what I was trying to say, but it ties in with the hype. Why are you worried about how I feel about this game's trailer that possible you didn't even understand either? Keep insulting others over videogames pal!
I'm not insulting you though, I just found your post laughably wrong. Eh, it's all opinions anyway.
Take it easy fam.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

''Probably one of the most uninspired and uninteresting things to date.''

Change 'date' to 'me' and then you'll have an opinion instead of a statement. Not only that, but the game seems to be very different/original from your typical AAA big budget release, so no surprise why your post gets its fair share of replies.

Also, modeling and animation are two very different things and jobs.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
''Probably one of the most uninspired and uninteresting things to date.''

Change 'date' to 'me' and then you'll have an opinion instead of a statement.

Makes sense and you're probably correct.

I'm not insulting you though, I just found your post laughably wrong. Eh, it's all opinions anyway.
Take it easy fam.

You too bud. I guess I'm just not excited for it.

Also, "Animation is also a thing"... what?! Do you mean 3D modelling artists because it is not the job of animators (generally) to create 3D characters from ground up. Also, it is well known by now that facial and mo-cap are done together for reducing animation workload and improving finer details. TLoU II for example transplants reference animation from the actors onto the corresponding fictitious 3D models and fine tunes them manually.

Absolutely aware of this, but not all games use it. I appreciate them just as much as mocapped games. DS is obviously mostly Mocapped and animated like ND does their games. But I prefer Nathan Drake over real life depictions of Nolan North (although he kinda looks like Drake) and Sam over Troy Baker.

Not all opinions are worthy of respect.

Coming into a Death Stranding thread to complain that a lot of people watched the trailer (with an baseless claim that it's only because the game includes celebrity actors) and to call it "uninspired" is just trolling.

That's ok it's an unpopular opinion.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Absolutely aware of this, but not all games use it. I appreciate them just as much as mocapped games. DS is obviously mostly Mocapped and animated like ND does their games.

Correct. However growing budget requires streamlining work flow and for AAA games that aim for realistic fidelity, especially at present (or rather since this gen) where animation detail can sustain or destroy immersion, i.e. a very narrow margin for error which will narrow further next gen. Face cap has become absolutely crucial and dare I say, a more cost effective measure. It will be the norm if it is not already among bigger titles with said aesthetic.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry I was asking about the number of viewers the Cyberpunk trailer got (compared with the title of this post which says this trailer got 2.1m in 6hours), I thought the Cyberpunk trailer got 12m views within 24hours or something ?

Oh I should have realized that but I was foaming at the mouth cuz I just saw the trailer a few minutes before.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I also dislike characters in games looking somewhat like real people for uhhhhhhhhhhhh....................????????????????????????reasons????????????????????????????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.