• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Expected really. Guy has a dedicated following in his homeland, good word of mouth and Famitsu coverage. It's also launching at the tail end of the generation when PS4 ownership is at its peak.
Most other major IPs launched in Japan at the start or close to the middle of the generation:
Bloodborne
Horizon ZD
Knack
Not sure if they'd have sold as much based on the install base but it's definitely a solid launch.

* Spider-Man Isn't a new IpP

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Here is a clip of Maximilian Dood (youtube guy mainly known for fighting games, also resetera member) realizing he's really into this game at maybe 3-4am in the morning, then someone brings up Crazy Taxi (Sega, a Japan game) and he goes down a rabbit hole of possible reasons he like the game. He also compares it to MGS5. No spoilers.
Max speaking much truth.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Thats impressive but where does it rank when compared to other games this gen? DMCV, RE2make, RE7, TLG etc.

More than the Last Guardian. I know this because The Last Guardian is a new IP and Death Stranding is the biggest debut for a new IP, thus more than the Last Guardian.

I am not sure where it stands in terms of DMCV, RE2make or RE7 as neither of those are new IPs.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kojima benefits from Playstation having a global presence I guess...

Japan and UK combined Death Stranding 228K combined without digital. That's kinda impressive lol

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Likewise. I feel like Hennig is one of the more overrated gaming "auteurs." Never quite understood the level of hype around her compared to other incredible game directors
Well everyone in naughty dog was hyped up and rightly so due to their amazing history of top games. It's just she's only 1 part of the cog and never the sole reason for their success. Anybody in naughty dog could be replaced and if by the right person they could be even better. That doesn't take away from the good work she did it's just the reality.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
That speaks more about the state of the Japanese market, in terms of dedicated gaming devices.

The biggest IPs of the last decade started with smaller numbers. Splatoon did 144k units; Yo-kai Watch did 52k.
Yep, same for Ring Fit Adventure: it only did 68k first week but it's going to end up being one of the best selling new IP of the gen

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Without actual numbers this could be damning with faint praise to the extreme. How many new AAA IPs have there been this gen?

I'll be shocked if Death Stranding sells more than 5 million worldwide. And that's not a lot for a game that cost as much as it did.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
That says more about the state of the PS4 in Japan though.
It stands even if we compare it to the 3DS, Switch and Wii U in Japan. Two out of those three consoles I would say qualify as successes.

It is actually false though. One new IP this gen had a stronger debut than Death Stranding: Freedom Wars on the PS Vita. 187.890 sold in the first week according to Famitsu.

Last edited:

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Without actual numbers this could be damning with faint praise to the extreme. How many new AAA IPs have there been this gen?

I'll be shocked if Death Stranding sells more than 5 million worldwide. And that's not a lot for a game that cost as much as it did.
We have numbers what are you talking about?

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
New IPs tend to not have big launches in Japan so this isn't that surprising. It is a new IP but it is from a known entity with Kojima and that is a definite boost over other new series. Sales are good, but not great IMO. We will see how well it fairs leg-wise over the next few weeks, I'm guessing in the 350k range overall.

I think people look at the initial number more than the final number and that can lead to some misinformation or lack of final context.

Last edited:

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
So there is hope, that we are getting more? I already want a spiritual successor. Congrats to KojiPro and Sony!

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Next E3 .. " and our newest member to Xbox studios family ... "

😁
That would probably be a bad buy for Microsoft, and Kojima. For Kojima Xbox's Japan presence is not so great, though he's more popular in the West I'm sure he care about Japan (X is still cancel, and O is still confirm for crying out loud).

Jun 23, 2019
Qbg3YEV.jpg
Lol this meme will never die.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Deserved, im only on Chapter 5 and its already one of my favorite games this gen. Great to see Judgment so high as well. Japanese gamers has superior taste confirmed.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue launch numbers are the least interesting way to mesure a new IP's success. If anything it tells us something about those games, Death Stranding, Judgment, Sekiro... They're on top of this list because they carry a lot of baggage, while usually a new IP doesn't, it has to build itself up from nothing (and from a pretty low first week). The legs, the word of mouth and the LTD are what's really interesting.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
If you think that's too high here's the lifetime sales of the Top 5(per Game Data Library):

ARMs 465.908
Sekiro 361.222
Bloodborne 315.806
Judgment 315.155
Death Stranding 185.909
Always fun to look at in context, but ARMS numbers always seem to anger a lot of people.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Very happy about it.
The game is so incredible. Already experienced so many unique and unforgettable tiny moments :) The game's sense of wonder is so great and tingles my curiosity very often. Almost feels like being a child again, experiencing and exploring all the new video games, in the early days, where you haven't already played hundred titles of every genre.

It's such a special experience.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even particularly care for the game and I still hope it really succeeds. We need more stuff like this.

Hope it does well in the west.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
One thing you can always commend Sony for doing is putting big bucks behind new IP. They far outstrip the competition in that regard.
It'll be interesting to see how they handle this going forward. As they build their new IP up into recognizable franchises, will they keep funneling lots of money into new ones?

For instance ND making TLOUII and UC4 instead of a new IP, SSM rebooting GoW instead of a new IP.

I wonder if they'll become like Nintendo who usually put the biggest bucks into 3D Mario and Zelda because they're pretty much guaranteed 10M sellers.

that being said Kojima will probably be an exception to this and they'll let him just do what he wants.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Neither did Ted Price and Insomniac, look how that turned out.
I think they wouldn't have folded if they did incredibly well with FUSE, and Sunset Overdrive. They had a bit of bad luck it seems, one was EA, and the other was Xbox One reveal situation causing it to sell less most likely (price, the controversy, and maybe the type of games the majority were interested in at the time). When they came back to Playstation exclusives they made a successful Ratchet and Clank, then a mega successful Spider-Man. They likely had a lot of leverage in the buyout price at that point I'm sure. Sony must have thrown the checkbook at them.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
And this is why Sony will keep letting Independent devs make console exclusives for them rather than fully buying out the studio and making them develop games for PS only. They can achieve this level of success without chaining them while also catering to their wishes. I doubt Sony would go ahead and try to acquire kojima productions. This would kinda ruin the good will between each other and hamper kojima's freedom.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Here is a clip of Maximilian Dood (youtube guy mainly known for fighting games, also resetera member) realizing he's really into this game at maybe 3-4am in the morning, then someone brings up Crazy Taxi (Sega, a Japan game) and he goes down a rabbit hole of possible reasons he like the game. He also compares it to MGS5. No spoilers.

If there's one thing I've learned about Max's gaming habits is that the thing he looks out for is systems that complement as each other and having a variety of options that a player can experiment their own style with.

Doesn't matter if it's Character Action, a card game, or a delivery game.

He certainly didn't enjoy the game too much on the first session, but he came back for a second session and now by the third I think he's definitely hooked.