• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

I guess now there's not even a fool's hope anymore.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
2019 was always a completely absurd notion. No idea why anyone bought into it.

My money's on Mid 2020. TLOU2 for Early 2020. PS5 for Late 2020.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Noooooooooo.

What about the localisation Shinobi? You break me. :'(

Only the last of us part 2 then for this year.
giphy.gif

2019 was always a completely absurd notion. No idea why anyone bought into it.
It wasn't absurd though. There have been persistent hints of 2019 from the team talking about the release year of Akira, or Kojima asking "will 2019 be the year of the whale?". Do you feel that it's absurd for people to take away from what the people making the game have been saying? That among other things that have happened at KojiPro which would suggest development is further along than most people have speculated. 2020 was never out of the question, I'm just sad that Shinobi seems to know enough to finally dash my hopes. I am defeated.

Last edited:

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
That doesn't mean anything.
It's obviously not coming out on December 1st, but it does mean something.

Game has been announced for going on 3 years now and unlike other retailers that had it listed from pre-order instantly, GameStop is only just now listing it for pre-order. Also it's not the generic "31.12.20XX" date you usually get with games without a release date, see their pre-order for Dead Island 2. Also, they don't even have any of Sony's other big games TLoU2 or Ghost for pre-order or other big games like Cyberpunk, Metroid Prime 4, Starfield. If they're just fishing for pre-order money something like Cypberpunk or TLoU2 is a better bet.

I'm pretty sure when GameStop have a specific date listed that they're not usually wrong about the year. In this case they could (probably are) be since it's near the end of the year, but what I'm saying is GameStop is usually right instead ~6months.

I've always thought the game was late 2019-early 2020.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017

Game has been announced for going on 3 years now and unlike other retailers that had it listed from pre-order instantly, GameStop is only just now listing it for pre-order. Also it's not the generic "31.12.20XX" date you usually get with games without a release date, see their pre-order for Dead Island 2. Also, they don't even have any of Sony's other big games TLoU2 or Ghost for pre-order or other big games like Cyberpunk, Metroid Prime 4, Starfield. If they're just fishing for pre-order money something like Cypberpunk or TLoU2 is a better bet.

I'm pretty sure when GameStop have a specific date listed that they're not usually wrong about the year. In this case they could (probably are) be since it's near the end of the year, but what I'm saying is GameStop is usually right instead ~6months.

Unless the date has been announced, it means nothing. It's always nothing. I don't know why people continue to speculate on this crap when it's happened with every big game ever. There have been tons of time that retailers have picked dates that don't end in 31 or 30. The dates retailers pick don't mean shit until it's officially announced.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Unless the date has been announced, it means nothing. It's always nothing. I don't know why people continue to speculate on this crap when it's happened with every big game ever. There have been tons of time that retailers have picked dates that don't end in 31 or 30. The dates retailers pick don't mean shit until it's officially announced.
I explained my opinion on significance and you chose to ignore the reasoning.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

well shinobi already heavily hinted that the game is not coming out in 2019,
but, the fact this did happen might mean that death stranding appeared in destination playstation and that it will release in this fiscal year (by this i mean the fiscal year that starts in 3 days so i guess technically the next one)

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
well shinobi already heavily hinted that the game is not coming out in 2019,
but, the fact this did happen might mean that death stranding appeared in destination playstation and that it will release in this fiscal year (by this i mean the fiscal year that starts in 3 days so i guess technically the next one)
When?

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
In response to someone saying we might see a surprise fall 2019 release:
Ah ok cool. I thought he said something long form in like an official leaker/insider capacity. I don't think that's confirmation of anything as I don't know what he means by "lol" or if it's even concert insider information he knows for a fact or if it's just his opinion.

OP
OP
Lannisters1798
Apr 27, 2018
An interview from the website Consolevania with the band Chvurches.

https://www.consolevania.com/music/2019/3/25/interview-chvrches-iain-cook?utm_source
Consolevania: Have you ever met any famous videogame designers, like Hideo Kojima maybe for example?​
IAIN: Ha. As a matter of fact yes I did meet Kojima-san very recently! I was in Tokyo with the band and we went to his studio and he showed us around as well as showing us some work in progress on his new game Death Stranding. He came to the show and we went for some sushi afterwards. I thought I was going to be star-struck but he's very cool and easy to talk to (once you get used to talking through an interpreter that is!) His office is so cool, it's all classic horror memorabilia and Godzilla shit. I could have spent all day in there. He's such an inspiration though, so brave and thinks like no one else. Some of the shit he is doing with the new game is unlike anything I have seen anyone else do. I have no idea how he's going to make it work but I am confident that if anyone can do it, Kojima can.

2b_miner

Mar 7, 2019
Have people figured out what is the genre the game is going to be like...I get a feeling it's going to be Alan Wake meets metal gear

Oct 25, 2017
Have people figured out what is the genre the game is going to be like...I get a feeling it's going to be Alan Wake meets metal gear
Kojima has said it's an action game. Can be played with traditional means (shooting) or with the new mechanics (strands). I'm assuming stealth will be an important component, looking at the little gameplay we've been shown. Alan Wake x Metal Gear, that sounds like a great prediction.

Amir Mirzaee

Sep 9, 2018

I'm sure it's gonna have many new mechanics and systems, but at the same time it fits in the action genre; that it's a game that ask players to react to the different situations the game puts in front of them in a limited timeframe. I kinda believe that it's an survival action game.

My prediction is that It's an open-world mission based action game, that revolves around delivering packages in its dangerous world. I think each player controls his own version of Sam and they all exist simultaneously and interact with each other, in a way that players can invade each other's worlds and affect those worlds. If I'm not mistaken, kinda like the idea of Let it Die: players who die, are transported to the world of another player, but probably in a more complex and layered way.

All in all, it seems like the idea of parallel worlds is the basis of Death Stranding.

For its gameplay, I think players can choose the equipment before starting a mission, and while they can choose many guns and grenades and destroy everything in their path, the fights can also be avoided using stealth and other new ways. It seems like there are grenades in the game that affect Timefall (speed-up time) and by using many new items and weapons which are all based on the unique logic of the game's world. I believe the game can even be completed without killing bosses.

I think survival and staying alive while treading towards the destination is also a big part of the gameplay. Players should find a balance between the amount of packages they carry and their weapons and equipment. They can use robots or vehicles to help them carry their inventory. I think something like a Survival Viewer, as in Metal Gear Solid 3, could be part of the game, and players can heal themselves, change their boots after wear and even denailing themselves to treat infections.

I don't know how, but I think even the act of walking and treading the different landscapes is part of the gameplay. Scaling mountains, crafting transportable bridges and using them to pass valleys, and even managing stamina by choosing where to walk or how to walk, could be parts of the gameplay. Everything is also in hands of the players, and they choose how to deal with each situation.

This is wishful thinking, but I kinda think Death Stranding doesn't end after finishing its story and there is an endgame. Players can work towards getting and crafting all the items in the game, probably together and by helping each other, or trying to complete the left-over side missions, getting better rank on story missions, or new periodically missions and challenges that are added to the game. After all, it's a game about a delivery guy who accepts different missions.

Also, let me say that while everything I said above is based on what I've seen of the game and what I've heard of Kojima, they're all my speculations, and all of them can be wrong.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
This has to be a cross-platform title, right? Out on PS4 & PS5? Kojima has experience of this already, they did it with MGS5.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how, but I think even the act of walking and treading the different landscapes is part of the gameplay. Scaling mountains, crafting transportable bridges and using them to pass valleys, and even managing stamina by choosing where to walk or how to walk, could be parts of the gameplay. Everything is also in hands of the players, and they choose how to deal with each situation.
...Snake Eater fully realized but in the weirdest way.

OP
OP
Lannisters1798
Apr 27, 2018

If you guys are in London Kojima Productions will have new merchandise at the Trafalgar Square Games Festival on April 13, 2019.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has to be a cross-platform title, right? Out on PS4 & PS5? Kojima has experience of this already, they did it with MGS5.

Probably, which kinda sucks because I feel there will be fully developed next gen games shown eventually that will make Death Stranding look last generational, even on the souped up PS5 version.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

My expectation is that it will be a pretty standard stealth-TPS, given the glimpses of gameplay and teases of boss encounters. Based on the talk of 'sticks vs. ropes', unique multiplayer and new approaches to death my best guess is the twist will be that dead players will have to collaborate to revive each other, perhaps collaborating with living players (like a Dark Souls summon). So instead of hitting each other with 'sticks' players pull each other back into the world of the living with 'ropes'.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Personally I don't think it'll get a cross-platform release, maybe a "remastered" version a few months after PS5 releases like TLoU got for PS4. I think it'll be out at least a good few months before PS5 drops.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
You can draw a stick figure of snake and he'll retweet it. A lot of speculations happened in the past because people thought him retweeting certain albums or movies meant something.
Oh good lord, I told people like this again and again the Archillect twitter account was just an "aesthetic" art stealing bot and they were convinced of it being a secret ARG right until the end, just because Kojima follows it.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Oh good lord, I told people like this again and again the Archillect twitter account was just an "aesthetic" art stealing bot and they were convinced of it being a secret ARG right until the end, just because Kojima follows it.

Every time he liked a movie or a show with a vol 5 in the title people freaked the hell out, going full conspiracy theorist on his retweets. Pre-release Phantom pain was nuts and it went on for a bit until people figured out there was no secret chapter coming.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Every time he liked a movie or a show with a vol 5 in the title people freaked the hell out, going full conspiracy theorist on his retweets. Pre-release Phantom pain was nuts and it went on for a bit until people figured out there was no secret chapter coming.
I feel like if you're going to go csi on anything, do it on his own posts/photos. Where he actually does post hints sometimes.
It's always silly to swamp some poor person's notifications with conspiracy just because Kojima liked it.

Archillect doesn't even credit the people they're stealing from. Assholes.
Yeah, quite a few artists I follow have been in fights with the guy who runs it.

Status
Not open for further replies.