• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Kojima actually said it would be out in 2018 when he made those comments. He said

"It will be out before the Olympics," said Kojima, referring to the Tokyo 2020 Games. He then went on, "To go a little further, there is a movie called Akira, and it will be out before the year in which Akira is set."

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/09/18/death-stranding-will-be-out-before-2019-may-feature-heroine

Akira is set in 2019. "Before the year of Akira" would imply before 2019, thus 2018.

I'm leaning 55:45 towards a 2019 release. But I think it's extremely realistic that it could be a 2020 release, however it'll be early 2020. Don't think we're 18 months away from release like you think, we wouldn't bee seeing the little tidbits if that were the case.
That I didn't know. That's crazy to think he believed 2018 was possible.

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to admit it, but I'm itching for a substantial preview of the game soon. I want to finally see the curtain officially pulled back on this game. I'm eager to see the demoing of the game mehcnhacs alongside whatever dynamic UI Koji Pro have been designing. I want to know about the customization, as it looks pretty robust. How does Death Stranding control? What will it be like exploring and traversing the uneven natural terrain of the open world. The clip of Sam using climb gear to scale a cliff was amazing, especially with that draw distance in the backdrop. Toriko's thread hilights some great points that lend to my excitement.
05OTqR8.gif
CLn9349.gif

I want to know if we could potential play this on a PS5 at 4K 60fps. I want to know what the online aspect of the game will be like. I want to hear what song Kojima will feature in the new trailer.

Absolutely will run at 60fps on PS5. Probably Native 4K to considering it was built for PS4.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I hate to admit it, but I'm itching for a substantial preview of the game soon. I want to finally see the curtain officially pulled back on this game. I'm eager to see the demoing of the game mehcnhacs alongside whatever dynamic UI Koji Pro have been designing. I want to know about the customization, as it looks pretty robust. How does Death Stranding control? What will it be like exploring and traversing the uneven natural terrain of the open world. The clip of Sam using climb gear to scale a cliff was amazing, especially with that draw distance in the backdrop. Toriko's thread hilights some great points that lend to my excitement.

I want to know if we could potential play this on a PS5 at 4K 60fps. I want to know what the online aspect of the game will be like. I want to hear what song Kojima will feature in the new trailer.
Why would you hate to admit that! Everyone here is itching to finally see the game unveiled haha.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Just rewatched trailer 3 for the first time in a year... I like it a lot!

Might even the best of all the trailers for me so far.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
PS5 will have Ryzen. Should be easy to double the framerate on a cross-gen game.
Again, if some things are baked in, stronger hardware will not fix it. If they recorded char animations at 30hz, then that's it. That's just one example.

Of course, with dev attention, they can make it work, but that does not mean every game will get it. Look at the ammount of Pro patched games, so many got ignored.

Oct 25, 2017
Again, if some things are baked in, stronger hardware will not fix it. If they recorded char animations at 30hz, then that's it. That's just one example.

Of course, with dev attention, they can make it work, but that does not mean every game will get it. Look at the ammount of Pro patched games, so many got ignored.

Pro still had the same shitty CPU and wasn't a new gen. This will be more in line with TLOU and MGSV type port.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/hideo-kojima-death-stranding-tribeca-film-festival-1203166722/
I wonder if this will be any different from the other talks, aka "I can't talk about that" and "sticks and ropes"

Has there ever been a Kojima interview with any value? What he wants to reveal is better said through the long trailers they release. Every interview with kojima is basically just, "I want to do something new with games, but I'm not going to tell you anything. Hahah, sorry I can't comment on anything you'd give a shit about, but I do want to show you some of my adventures in star fucking and the last 10 movies I watched."

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Has there ever been a Kojima interview with any value? What he wants to reveal is better said through the long trailers they release. Every interview with kojima is basically just, "I want to do something new with games, but I'm not going to tell you anything. Hahah, sorry I can't comment on anything you'd give a shit about, but I do want to show you some of my adventures in star fucking and the last 10 movies I watched."

"Timefall" actually came from a surprisingly open interview with IGN a while back. Which I think came from him realising people weren't figuring it out at the rate he thought they would. Other than that yeah, not much.
EDIT: in that same interview he explained how the game was delayed due to SAG AFTRA strikes
https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/12/11/kojima-explains-death-stranding-gameplay-and-lore

OP
OP
Lannisters1798
Apr 27, 2018
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2019/03/22/state-of-play-playstations-new-video-showcase-debuts-monday/

Glad to finally be able to talk about this! Today, we're introducing a new video programme called State of Play, and the first episode kicks off Monday, 25th March at 9pm GMT / 10pm CET.

State of Play will give you updates and announcements from the world of PlayStation. Our first episode will showcase upcoming PS4 and PS VR software, including new trailers, new game announcements and new gameplay footage.

🤔.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

This may not be representative of anything. Iirc, Cory Barlog said GOW was fully playable to the end and he did his full playthrough at the end of 2016, yet the game released almost a year and half later. Refining period needs at least a year even if all features of the game are finished.
2020 is a safe bet but a surprising fall 2019 release may happen. But Kojima doesn't want to clash directly with TLOU2 if it releases this year and to compete with it for GOTY. Marl my word, TLOU2 and Death Stranding won't release in the same year. They will release in different years.

Status
Not open for further replies.