• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
EIRpIh_WsAA9ptb

next week's famitsu cover

WHY THE FUCK is this not the game cover?

Or the other one that looks like it's from Thatkidwhodraws?

Seriously amazing art and we get the weakest, most generic mugshot for a cover.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
There has literally not been a single good (American...I don't know what Japan/Europe got) Kojima cover art since Subsistence. Unless you're counting the collector's edition of 4.

PW, GZ, TPP, and now DS are all bad.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good scores. I thought more people would like the systems after playing for a bit but what can you do.
Can't wait for next week to play for myself.

I find it very funny that some people are shocked that the gameplay is exactly what Kohima showed since the beginning.
Some users were right on the money and so many didn't want to listen.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
The not-so-subtle review inflation discussion going in the DS thread is lame.

If you wanna call out reviewers for being disingenuous cowards not willing to give a bad score to a game, then do so to their face/twitter account.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry if you answered this before or in your review (i'm just avoiding them right now), but since you're offering... how did you personally find the traversal mechanics?

Good/bad, tense/boring?

Weird at first. Using L2/R2 to balance yourself takes a little bit of getting used to (and they throw in a large delivery straight off the bat to tutorialise), but once you've got that down it's fine. I enjoyed planning out my route and figuring out where to go to minimise BT interaction etc. When you do hit a patch of BTs while carrying some fragile cargo it is tense as *FUCK*. You've got to get out of there while making sure your cargo doesn't get ruined at the same time.

Occasionally got stuck on the geometry, but nothing too major. Vehicles are fun when you take them off road.

ZDKilljoy

Managing Editor at BunnyGaming
Verified
Oct 3, 2018
Malaysia
Weird at first. Using L2/R2 to balance yourself takes a little bit of getting used to (and they throw in a large delivery straight off the bat to tutorialise), but once you've got that down it's fine. I enjoyed planning out my route and figuring out where to go to minimise BT interaction etc. When you do hit a patch of BTs while carrying some fragile cargo it is tense as *FUCK*. You've got to get out of there while making sure your cargo doesn't get ruined at the same time.

Occasionally got stuck on the geometry, but nothing too major. Vehicles are fun when you take them off road.

I cheesed it by crouching every time my cargo started to get unbalanced

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sounds fantastic honestly.

Would you say it's one of Kojima's better games overall or on the lower end of the list? I know you praised the game but I just want to know ranking wise where'd you'd put it roughly.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
I wanted a hiking game and was worried there'd secretly be a big focus on action so pretty pleased with this, I think I'll pick it up

ZDKilljoy

Verified
Oct 3, 2018
Malaysia
Good scores. I thought more people would like the systems after playing for a bit but what can you do.
Can't wait for next week to play for myself.

I find it very funny that some people are shocked that the gameplay is exactly what Kohima showed since the beginning.
Some users were right on the money and so many didn't want to listen.

I think that itself is part of the problem. It's exactly what he showed it to be and I enjoyed the game for it. But I definitely saw it coming a mile away how people will hate it too.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
I'm just intrigued by how the gameplay actually 'feels'. I know what it 'looks' like, but I want to know how it plays. I trust EasyAllies and they seemed to say the combat isn't good at all, particularly in boss fights it feels too rudimentary. Some thoughts on that would be much appreciated. Tagging Moz La Punk too.

I'd say the combat isn't the MAIN gameplay here at all. Its truly the traversal thats the main gameplay and challenge. And while that takes some time to get used to, I found it deep enough and therefor also fulfulling enough. It might seem like irritating micromanagement in the beginning, but its where the challenge comes from in this game.

ZDKilljoy

Verified
Oct 3, 2018
Malaysia
I'd say the combat isn't the MAIN gameplay here at all. Its truly the traversal thats the main gameplay and challenge. And while that takes some time to get used to, I found it deep enough and therefor also fulfulling enough. It might seem like irritating micromanagement in the beginning, but its where the challenge comes from in this game.

I felt the same way too. I realized after a while that I was getting frustrated for no reason.

Oct 25, 2017
The not-so-subtle review inflation discussion going in the DS thread is lame.

If you wanna call out reviewers for being disingenuous cowards not willing to give a bad score to a game, then do so to their face/twitter account.

Yep. The game is both called divisive and yet derided as if divisive doesn't mean that half of the people will love/enjoy it.

Its impressive really.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
My absolute favourite moments in MGSV were when I elaborately planned the execution of a mission, meticulously spent time to mark targets and observe patrol routes and then made a mistake that made everything go to shit and having to improvise to get out of the situation. It sounds like those scenarios are possible in DS and while I somewhat expected that since it was clear it's gonna be an open world game I am now fully confident that it will be a worthwile experience beyond the sheer curiosity of it.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds fantastic honestly.

Would you say it's one of Kojima's better games overall or on the lower end of the list? I know you praised the game but I just want to know ranking wise where'd you'd put it roughly.

That's a question right there! It's just so different to everything else he's ever done. I've not really had time to think about where I'd rank it, but I'm a big MGS fan and I think this easily slots in with some of the better ones there.

I'm just intrigued by how the gameplay actually 'feels'. I know what it 'looks' like, but I want to know how it plays. I trust EasyAllies and they seemed to say the combat isn't good at all, particularly in boss fights it feels too rudimentary. Some thoughts on that would be much appreciated. Tagging Moz La Punk too.

Definitely feels weighty. Combat isn't especially challenging (I played on normal) but there's a satisfying heft to some, if not most of the encounters. Some really creepy enemy design too.

Is it really possible to walk everywhere that you see? Can you free roam after the ending?

Yes. Sometimes you'll need a ladder or a rope, but you can traverse the entire map on foot if you want. There is a way to mop up the side stuff when the credits roll, yes.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018

That's a very interesting point you made, I'll keep in mind for my playthrough.

Definitely feels weighty. Combat isn't especially challenging (I played on normal) but there's a satisfying heft to some, if not most of the encounters. Some really creepy enemy design too.

Sounds good, will test it myself on Nov 8.

Thanks for the replies both of you.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To the people that played it, would you recommend playing it on normal or a harder difficulty for first timers?

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017

Do BTs just turn up suddenly or is it "this is BT territory be careful!"

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Cheers! I'm just hoping it's a more organic thing rather than them just being confined to certain areas. I know unless the game forces me to head there I'll do my best to avoid it.

So they are linked to the weather?

Yeah. Watch for rain, rainbows and weird black lines in the sky. There's no completely avoiding them though.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
So, Hideo Kojima convinced Sony to write him a blank check and hire whoever the fuck he wanted to work with to make a highly technically impressive open world game over the span of less than four years from scratch about a post apocalyptic delivery boy where the biggest challenge comes from meticulously planning and executing a trek through treacherous terrain on a mission to connect people through any hardship... which is so damn indie an idea that I cannot believe it actually happened. I do not care if people have interest in playing it or not. If you are considering yourself to be a fan of video game culture, you have to be glad to be able to witness this moment.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
I love divisive games. I just hope I'm on the side that actually has an enjoyable experience though....

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if I'll love it or hate it, but I'm so in. Only the massive length (Gamespot says 60 hours, IGN 85) puts me of a bit. Chances are I'll never finish it because ain't nobody got time for that.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
That's always the hope. But I think if you liked what you've seen so far of the gameplay, it's likely you will.
Yeah I've certainly liked what I've seen so far. I think me and you have mentioned this before but I feel like a lot of people were/are expecting a "ruse cruse" and the game suddenly changes it up mid-game and becomes P.T. or MGS. Never once expected that to be the case.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So, Hideo Kojima convinced Sony to write him a blank check and hire whoever the fuck he wanted to work with to make a highly technically impressive open world game over the span of less than four years from scratch about a post apocalyptic delivery boy where the biggest challenge comes from meticulously planning and executing a trek through treacherous terrain on a mission to connect people through any hardship... which is so damn indie an idea that I cannot believe it actually happened. I do not care if people have interest in playing it or not. If you are considering yourself to be a fan of video game culture, you have to be glad to be able to witness this moment.
Yeah, when you think about it's crazy that someone approved a +100 million budget for this game, gonna be interesting what he does next and if Sony is still gonna be with him.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I'm not a fan of Kojima games. Even the Metal Gear games weren't for me, as I found the characters and stories to be unbearable, which is odd as I'm a story and character guy. I would happily take a 50 hour game of no combat, just story and puzzles. I think there's an over-reliance on combat from modern developers, which has conditioned players to expect the same.

Which is why, despite not being a fan of Kojima games, I'm going to stick up for it here. I like that it's taking a risk and not just sticking a weapon in it's main characters hand and throwing a bunch of enemies at you. I WISH more developers would do that.

I'll pick this up with a price reduction in the future. The game is as divisive as expected and I haven't enjoyed my experience with his 90+ games, so this is my compromise for supporting this type of game.

Status
Not open for further replies.