• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
The issue is that people are taking these impressions at face value and making judgements too hastily. It's okay to be skeptical but I don't think now's the time to be coming to conclusions on whether the game is bad or not. I'd wait until embargo lifts and reviewers start talking about the game to start coming to any sort of definitive conclusion. Even then, the best case scenario would be to probably play the game for yourself and see if you like it. Could always rent it.

Yup. I think we are so starved for anything that as soon as it exists, we jump on it like a pack of hungry dogs. It's not a great look!

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
So it is about as far from being conclusive as possible...
This is literally what I'm saying lmao, read my post here.

The issue is that people are taking these impressions at face value and making judgements too hastily. It's okay to be skeptical but I don't think now's the time to be coming to conclusions on whether the game is bad or not. I'd wait until embargo lifts and reviewers start talking about the game to start coming to any sort of definitive conclusion. Even then, the best case scenario would be to probably play the game for yourself and see if you like it. Could always rent it.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yup. I think we are so starved for anything that as soon as it exists, we jump on it like a pack of hungry dogs. It's not a great look!
Yeah it's annoying, people were clamouring for impressions but I could see this happening from a mile away if the impressions weren't super positive like what most of us were expecting.

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
Is there anything about the "Asynchronous Multiplayer" out yet? All I know of is being able to pee on a mushroom as a community. Since it doesn't require Playstation Plus, I guess I'm not really expecting too much from it but I hope it at least has something akin to the Dark Souls messages and things like that.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's annoying, people were clamouring for impressions but I could see this happening from a mile away if the impressions weren't super positive like what most of us were expecting.

I think there's (1) a reason reviewers get 2 weeks with it, and (2) a reason the embargo is up when it is. Sony's not exactly a babe in the woods when it comes with this stuff lol.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
agreed. everyone thrilled by the idea of a game consisting in large part of extended treks through barren wilderness will be delighted. everyone scratching their heads over the idea that a game consisting in large part of extended treks through barren wilderness is somehow supposed to be entertaining will continue to do so...

i'm thinking that when it comes to death stranding, it simply is what it appears to be...

so let me get this straight ....

You have it on high authority the game consists of walking and NOTHING else
Or you are full of shit

Posts like these are disingenuous as fuck and shouldn't be allowed.

There are people who are lurking and pushing a negative narrative without having played the game.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
I believe come release week this whole Death Stranding ordeal will turn into that one episode of Community parodying Heart of Darkness with Kojima as the Dean and half this forum as Annie.

ChiefIllAmericanrobin-size_restricted.gif

Oct 26, 2017
so let me get this straight ....

Or you are full of shit

Posts like these are disingenuous as fuck and shouldn't be allowed.

There are people who are lurking and pushing a negative narrative without having played the game.
did you miss the 'in large part'?

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
I'm just gonna put everything under one big mega post since I've been posting 'em in this thread over the past few hours but I understand not everyone caught em. Take these however you want but they aren't the end all, be all. I'd still wait for reviews.

Reminder this is all [Spoiler-Free]

Regarding killing enemies:
If you kill an enemy, 48 hours after death they'll go into necrosis and after that they will voidout, making a fresh BT and a crater. This applies to any enemy that is killed with a gun meaning if you kill an enemy, you HAVE to dispose of their body by taking them to Chiral Crematoriums located high in the mountains and burn their body. The reason they're so high up is because Chiral Smoke is dangerous to go over a city which can cause Timefall.

Mr. Throwaway Impressions #1:
Things happen in Skyrim, BoTW, RDR2 and HZD during your travels. Not much here though. My general impressions: I like the story, visuals and music, basically the whole package outside of the gameplay. Is it an acquired taste? Maybe, but I don't think so. There's only so much walking before it gets old. Motorcycle is cool, I love it but the terrain is not friendly for it

Mr. Throwaway Impressions #2

There are some good memorable missions early on, deliveries that show a connection between people. He liked it a lot. Gameplay might either be your cup of tea or something you hate entirely, depending on what exactly you were expecting with this game. He wasn't expecting much outside of hours of walking, he was right that it's pretty much what you do and thus it doesn't really appeal to him much.

I asked what Mr. Throwaway thought of the gameplay and he had this to say:

It felt tedious. Sam hitches up on a lot of tiny rocks so it breaks the flow here and there, but it's cool to set up ladders and use ropes. Even more cool to see stuff left by people. The walking makes it tedious, timefall are essentially the stealth moments, a lot of the time ur screwed if ur driving cause the weather damages it.

Shirrako Impressions #1
received_2524745510947014.jpeg

received_2631442656917123.jpeg

received_2672772186076692.jpeg

Mr. Throwaway Impressions #3
I wouldn't say the gameplay is the issue. It's the extensive padding done with the walking.

Shirrako Impressions #2
Ajbgm1F.png

gIOST9D.png

Iqkj8C1.png

Shirrako Impressions #3
- Pacing is way off. The story is interesting but there's too many gaps in-between. If you don't play this game often you'll forget what happened before the next cutscene happens. Death Stranding is basically 1 hour of cool shit but 4 hours of delivering packages to NPCs
- Open-world is more interesting than MGSV but it has the same drawbacks
- It's fun when you explore new land but when the game asks you to drive back 5km just to deliver a package to a place you've been to before you're like "fuck off"
- All the safe houses look exactly the same, they have the same exact building you enter to connect and all the resting spots are 100% copy and pasted, they're all the same
- The start of the game is a bit of a chore at some times
- The game is not as good as RDR2 or God of War, but it's different. The focus is cooperation and exploration. If you're expecting a third person stealth action game then you're gonna want to refund.

Regarding Side Missions:
Side missions get forced onto you as part of the story
Thanks for doing this.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Is there anything about the "Asynchronous Multiplayer" out yet? All I know of is being able to pee on a mushroom as a community. Since it doesn't require Playstation Plus, I guess I'm not really expecting too much from it but I hope it at least has something akin to the Dark Souls messages and things like that.

Did you skip the TGS gameplay? The multiplayer stuff was shown a lot in there.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I mean are the impressions so far really that different from what we all expected? We knew this game was going to be divisive as hell and your enjoyment will depend on if you like walking and traversal simulations.

And so far the leakers are not fans of those type of games. Even then it's not like they absolutely hate the game, they still think it is alright.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017

These early impressions have me wondering how important a large playerbase is going to be for expediting certain parts of the game. It's possible this game is significantly worse without everyone helping each other along.

They could also have populated the game with fake players for reviews so this could be nonsense.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I mean are the impressions so far really that different from what we all expected? We knew this game was going to be divisive as hell and your enjoyment will depend on if you like walking and traversal simulations.

And so far the leakers are not fans of those type of games. Even then it's not like they absolutely hate the game, they still think it is alright.

Yeah, which is pretty telling IMO.

Oct 26, 2017

Depends how you interpret this poll I guess

I went for Post-Apocalyptic Turismo: The Real Fedex Simulator.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
did you miss the 'in large part'?

we are talking about a post including someone who has not played the game saying ..."I haven't played the game but my opinion is that its barren empty for the most part and those who will like playing an empty game make me scratch my head. The game just simply is what it appears to be."

at the very least its misleading because he hasn't played the game
at worst its very misleading and they are just spreading negativity

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
Or you are full of shit...

what i said:

agreed. everyone thrilled by the idea of a game consisting in large part of extended treks through barren wilderness will be delighted. everyone scratching their heads over the idea that a game consisting in large part of extended treks through barren wilderness is somehow supposed to be entertaining will continue to do so...

i'm thinking that when it comes to death stranding, it simply is what it appears to be...

i see no one in this thread, either fan, non-fan or in between, contesting this: the fact that a large part of the game does, indeed, consist of this. if you can point out exactly where i have ever said that this is all that the game consists of, & nothing else, please do. otherwise, please go get righteously pissed off at someone else...

Shirrako Impressions #3
- Pacing is way off. The story is interesting but there's too many gaps in-between. If you don't play this game often you'll forget what happened before the next cutscene happens. Death Stranding is basically 1 hour of cool shit but 4 hours of delivering packages to NPCs
- Open-world is more interesting than MGSV but it has the same drawbacks
- It's fun when you explore new land but when the game asks you to drive back 5km just to deliver a package to a place you've been to before you're like "fuck off"
- All the safe houses look exactly the same, they have the same exact building you enter to connect and all the resting spots are 100% copy and pasted, they're all the same
- The start of the game is a bit of a chore at some times
- The game is not as good as RDR2 or God of War, but it's different. The focus is cooperation and exploration. If you're expecting a third person stealth action game then you're gonna want to refund.

y'know, i'm not seeing any of this as being unexpected. i'm still there day 1, but i'm not going to be shocked or disappointed to discover that the game has it's downs as well as its ups...

& i definitely agree that it's the online interactivity, which no one's witnessed up till now, that'll prove to be the wildcard...

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Considering hype and the people playing being part of an exclusive club of experiencing the game early I think, if anything, that they would downplay their criticisms of the game.

It seems like the game will be divisive, to say the least.

Oct 26, 2017
we are talking about a post including someone who has not played the game saying ..."I haven't played the game but my opinion is that its barren empty for the most part and those who will like playing an empty game make me scratch my head. The game just simply is what it appears to be."

at the very least its misleading because he hasn't played the game
at worst its very misleading and they are just spreading negativity

So you're seriously criticising someone for expressing thoughts about the game without playing it? Even when they're formed from the accounts of people who have? And saying those type of posts should be banned?

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
So you're seriously criticising someone for expressing thoughts about the game without playing it? Even when they're formed from the accounts of people who have? And saying those type of posts should be banned?

No I dont see reason to do that.

Reviews come out soon enough. I've not gone into the spoiler thread. We also need more reviews to come out before people can claim the game is "Barren" empty and not enjoyable in some way. Let the reviews come out.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
Posted this in the other thread but I think you guys should know too

Regarding Side Missions:

[Spoiler-Free]

Side missions get forced onto you as part of the story

I'm sorry to say this, but it's factually wrong. Kojima stated many times that they are optional and can be ignored completely.

I think we're getting up to a point in which leakers are enjoying so much the attention bthat they are sensationalizing everything.

It's becoming closer and closer to trolling at this point and we SHOULD NOT take for granted anything these people say until they've had time to play AND THINK about everything, ESPECIALLY because Kojima himself said the game really opens up after a good amount of time.

So CHILL PEOPLE!

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
This is a random thought and not an attack, just a strong feeling I have. But I feel like a lot of the discourse leading up to the release of this game is gonna be looked back on with a lot of embarrassment. Not that this game is gonna be a masterpiece or that there is no way it has flaws. The game could be BAD, but the things certain folks are focusing on in exposing the immaturity of the medium/audience. Like if a movie director makes a movie about a janitor movie buffs aren't typically like "is the whole movie gonna be about him cleaning toilets????" They usually evaluate the movie and either like it or dislike it.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Kojima stated many times that they are optional and can be ignored completely.
Can I get a source on that one chief? Not calling you out just curious lol. I understand being skeptical but this dude is literally answering questions in Discord right now and says that certain side missions are forced onto the player if they haven't done them already.

Apparently there are moments where you have to wait until the next story mission by doing sidequests. Kinda like Spider-Man.

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
So it seems impressions are super mixed then? I wonder why Sony said no impressions beyond chapter 3

Oct 26, 2017
No I dont see reason to do that.

Reviews come out soon enough. I've not gone into the spoiler thread. We also need more reviews to come out before people can claim the game is "Barren" empty and not enjoyable in some way. Let the reviews come out.

They are literally describing an environment of limited vegetation, which fits for everything we've seen outside the forests.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
This is a random thought and not an attack, just a strong feeling I have. But I feel like a lot of the discourse leading up to the release of this game is gonna be looked back on with a lot of embarrassment. Not that this game is gonna be a masterpiece or that there is no way it has flaws. The game could be BAD, but the things certain folks are focusing on in exposing the immaturity of the medium/audience. Like if a movie director makes a movie about a janitor movie buffs aren't typically like "is the whole movie gonna be about him cleaning toilets????" They usually evaluate the movie and either like it or dislike it.
I think the problem is that Death Stranding is a AAA blockbuster title so it draws the attention of everyone. If it was a small indie title, no one would bat an eye about it being a walking simulator.

Like if David Lynch was to make a weird movie and it had the budget and marketing of a summer action super hero movie. The mainstream audience would be like "WTF is this shit!?!?"

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting mid-80s with scores across the board. I'm expecting an amazing yet clearly flawed game like we frequently see on PLayStation. MGSV, The Last Guardian, Nier: Automata, Persona 5, Gravity Rush 2. That sort of thing.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Can I get a source on that one chief? Not calling you out just curious lol. I understand being skeptical but this dude is literally answering questions in Discord right now and says that certain side missions are forced onto the player if they haven't done them already.

Apparently there are moments where you have to wait until the next story mission by doing sidequests. Kinda like Spider-Man.

Number 16: Side quests can be missed

" While traversing the world, Sam can stumble across dropped cargo. Picking it up will start a delivery, a side-quests of sorts. While these can be missed or avoided entirely, it looks like they will be integral for gaining new items, resources, and for expanding the Chiral network to new corners of the world. "

Not sure if it's the same thing or not, the "leaker" doesn't give many details.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
As long as you dont trek through the same places over and over again im fine with long ass treks.

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
I think the problem is that Death Stranding is a AAA blockbuster title so it draws the attention of everyone. If it was a small indie title, no one would bat an eye about it being a walking simulator.

Like if David Lynch was to make a weird movie and it had the budget and marketing of a summer action super hero movie. The mainstream audience would be like "WTF is this shit!?!?"
Maybe now a days but the general audience film literacy(or whatever you wanna call it) has been severly dumbed down. I'm not really talking about them tho. I'm talking about the people in this message board being the equivalent to movie buffs who follow directors film careers and like something interesting or different.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Yeah don't think that's the same thing. All he's saying is that he's doing a side quest rn. Could be lost cargo or something else entirely.
Btw when he said he doesn't like having to go back and deliver cargo to places you have already visited, did he mention if you have to take the same path when backtracking? Or is it possible to take alternate paths back to old locations?

Oct 26, 2017

We'll have to see, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a little similar to MGSV where some missions are more story orientated than others and completing a number of them opens up the next story (cutscene) focused one. The TGS demo mission to Port Knot City was marked Order 14, and apparently pretty early on in the game.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
One of the leakers (Mr. Throwaway) just got through Hades again and said it was "awesome", his favourite part of the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.