• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Something must have happened in the last few moments. Usually they save something really big for the very end of the TGAs, but they didnt have anything this year.

I could have sworn they had said Kojima would be there in the lead up too. But even if he couldnt make it, they still could have had a new trailer at least. Thats the main reason I was watching lol.

Also, damn you Shy!

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to apologise again Death Stranding friends. I really didn't mean to get your hopes up like that.
That's the thing. He's hasn't wound me up like that before. And told me true shit in the past.

And he does work in the industry (he worked on one of the games of the year at TGAs) So you can see why i'd believe him.

But yes. I'm a very credulous person IRL. I have a magic bean collection as proof. 😔

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Something must have happened in the last few moments. Usually they save something really big for the very end of the TGAs, but they didnt have anything this year.

I could have sworn they had said Kojima would be there in the lead up too. But even if he couldnt make it, they still could have had a new trailer at least. Thats the main reason I was watching lol.

Also, damn you Shy!

No one had anything to show. Nintendo has been playing their cards fairly close to the chest for a while now and tends to do their own thing for really big announcements. Sony canceled PSX because they didn't really have anything of note to show. Even MS' last "big" game conference was mostly announcement of DLC, expansion packs and smaller games.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
HEY KIDS! Guess what. My friend was winding me up the entire night 😭😭😭

Apparently he feels bad (he says he does at least) Because he didn't release i would take him seriously, and come and tell all of you.

So all of you have my permission to laugh at me, call me a cunt, and a fool. *sigh*
Kojima wasn't coming to the vga, and DS so far has always been shown with him present
No way they will do a release date trailer without Kojima present if you think about it

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty disappointed and miffed right now, could have fucking slept before work
Yeah you could have! but its nice to blame a great show for your lack of self control. Seriously tho, if you are only interested in one thing, why don't you just sleep and check it when you wake up!

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did his name start with a B and end with an -atzi?
e7d8eb89eef7efaaca1f8f82384838d3.gif

Feb 4, 2018
HEY KIDS! Guess what. My friend was winding me up the entire night 😭😭😭

Apparently he feels bad (he says he does at least) Because he didn't release i would take him seriously, and come and tell all of you.

So all of you have my permission to laugh at me, call me a cunt, and a fool. *sigh*
i forgive you shy

but i will NOT forgive you geoff 🙅🏼‍♀️ take back all your rainbow emojis they were all just a prism of lies

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to apologise again Death Stranding friends. I really didn't mean to get your hopes up like that.

That's the thing. He's hasn't wound me up like that before. And told me true shit in the past.

And he does work in the industry (he worked on one of the games of the year at TGAs) So you can see why i'd believe him.

But yes. I'm a very credulous person IRL. I have a magic bean collection as proof. 😔

We forgive you, king.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I stayed up to 8 AM for Death Stranding, why you do this Kojima? I guess we look at the Kinda Funny show now.

Jun 4, 2018
The only good thing to come of this show was that Kojima's name was not attached to it in any way beyond Student Developer awards. This was absolutely horrendous. So many steps back, not even funny.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell nah to that. Made up rumors with nothing happening when they are proven false leads to "insider" posting like
"heh.....heard something might come out within the next few months.......no hints but....heh...you'll see.....😉"
All i can do is apologise again.

If it makes you feel any better. I honestly feel completely humiliated.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
It's extremely sad that people couldn't find one thing they liked in the entire show. Saw similar complaints in the Metroid thread. Maybe y'all should skip the show and just wait for the announcements/trailers afterwards.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
It's extremely sad that people couldn't find one thing they liked in the entire show. Saw similar complaints in the Metroid thread. Maybe y'all should skip the show and just wait for the announcements/trailers afterwards.
There were plenty of surprises that I liked, but you do realize this is the Death Stranding thread right?

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
There were plenty of surprises that I liked, but you do realize this is the Death Stranding thread right?
Yeah. I figured there would be some hot takes in here. I mostly just wanted to see if there was any word on when we would see the game next. But I'm not broken up about it missing tonight.

Jun 4, 2018
Man, look. Obsidian's game looked alright - it looked like Fallout in space, that's all I took away from it; potentially some sort of decision-making that affects the game in a big way(?). It's cool that it exists and I'll play it if it's functional. Anthem looked the exact same as it did at E3, with a bit more sprinkled in at the end. DMC5 looked the exact same it has at every event since June, and that's fine, but I mean, it looks just as fine as it did before. I still gotta play Psychonauts 1 before I can really take anything away from 2. I don't know anything about it, really. The only positive takeaways from this show were Joker in Smash and MK11; even MK11's trailer didn't get me excited. Kojima games are simply on another level and that's the truth. I can't stand MGSV. It was one of the greatest disappointments in the history of media as far as I'm concerned. But his bad is better than many others' best. That's the bottom line. So, for Geoff and Kojima to be playing with each other on Twitter with all the rainbow emojis, the TGA planning over the months, and Geoff's response to Kojima's tweet earlier in the day, suggesting that Hideo wasn't being entirely honest - no, people are not "falling for it" or anything like that. These folks egged us on and then laughed at us for having egg on our face. Nobody is bringing out hot takes. People want the best for this game. Let's be real about it... Many people don't even think gameplay has been shown, because of how coy and vague Kojima has been. When you constantly lie to your audience and they get mad at you because you were honest for once, you got no one to blame but yourself. He and Geoff really did themselves a disservice in the long run, because all this did was ramp up my cynicism surrounding TGA, and to a lesser extent, Death Stranding, all while tuning me out of the show itself and encouraging me to simply watch a post-show upload. If the show wasn't horrendous, then maybe I could take more positives away from this. At the end of the day, this was a very bad day for Death Stranding - a game that still has to prove itself in the eyes of many due to the presence of Kojima and the undoubtedly expensive budget supporting it, and makes me wonder what changed to allow Norman Reedus to talk about his character in the capacity he did, because it certainly wasn't a TGA appearance.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We weren't promised a trailer, we aren't entitled to a trailer, and the dude literally tweeted out "sorry I cannot make it".

Fact of the matter is, there wasn't a Death Stranding trailer so some people read too much into it.

Chill

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Man, look. Obsidian's game looked alright - it looked like Fallout in space, that's all I took away from it; potentially some sort of decision-making that affects the game in a big way(?). It's cool that it exists and I'll play it if it's functional. Anthem looked the exact same as it did at E3, with a bit more sprinkled in at the end. DMC5 looked the exact same it has at every event since June, and that's fine, but I mean, it looks just as fine as it did before. I still gotta play Psychonauts 1 before I can really take anything away from 2. I don't know anything about it, really. The only positive takeaways from this show were Joker in Smash and MK11; even MK11's trailer didn't get me excited. Kojima games are simply on another level and that's the truth. I can't stand MGSV. It was one of the greatest disappointments in the history of media as far as I'm concerned. But his bad is better than many others' best. That's the bottom line. So, for Geoff and Kojima to be playing with each other on Twitter with all the rainbow emojis, the TGA planning over the months, and Geoff's response to Kojima's tweet earlier in the day, suggesting that Hideo wasn't being entirely honest - no, people are not "falling for it" or anything like that. These folks egged us on and then laughed at us for having egg on our face. Nobody is bringing out hot takes. People want the best for this game. Let's be real about it... Many people don't even think gameplay has been shown, because of how coy and vague Kojima has been. When you constantly lie to your audience and they get mad at you because you were honest for once, you got no one to blame but yourself. He and Geoff really did themselves a disservice in the long run, because all this did was ramp up my cynicism surrounding TGA, and to a lesser extent, Death Stranding, all while tuning me out of the show itself and encouraging me to simply watch a post-show upload. If the show wasn't horrendous, then maybe I could take more positives away from this. At the end of the day, this was a very bad day for Death Stranding - a game that still has to prove itself in the eyes of many due to the presence of Kojima and the undoubtedly expensive budget supporting it, and makes me wonder what changed to allow Norman Reedus to talk about his character in the capacity he did, because it certainly wasn't a TGA appearance.
Preach!

OP
OP
Lannisters1798
Apr 27, 2018
I'm excited for Far Cry New Dawn, and Obsidian's new game Otherworld. So that's a positive.

Jun 4, 2018

Kojima has the right idea! TGA has me ready to trade my PS4 in for a Switch and Smash. PS4 ain't gonna be the console DS comes out on anyway. :P

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I never had any interest in Metal Gear Solid or any Kojima game actually but since its inception I've been seduced by this game and have watched the trailers a lot.The landscape traversal in the last trailer got me quite hyped,I hope it turns out good.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I saw more than few people think that we were going to get a release date during the awards. Despite what Reedus has said, and even past Kojima comment where he said it would be released during the year Akira was set (2019), this has/had 2020 or even beyond written all over from it.

New studio, new engine, new IP and with how bloated Kojima makes development times/process, did people seriously think they'd get this out in ~3 years? Slim chance.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I thought Stefanie would tweet something about death stranding since she was revealed last trailer. I guess she's waiting a bit.

Jun 4, 2018
It's theories like this that make us look crazy when we get teased for months on end, don't get what we're looking for, then ask "Where the hell is this thing you've been teasing since I was knee-high to a grasshopper?" We were trolled and played last night, for sure. But this endless cycle of trying to connect dots, that simply don't connect, does more to hurt the fan base than help. These theories require more reaching than even Antetokounmpo is capable of.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I saw more than few people think that we were going to get a release date during the awards. Despite what Reedus has said, and even past Kojima comment where he said it would be released during the year Akira was set (2019), this has/had 2020 or even beyond written all over from it.

New studio, new engine, new IP and with how bloated Kojima makes development times/process, did people seriously think they'd get this out in ~3 years? Slim chance.

Quite the opposite actually. No way DS isn't released in 2019 imo. There's a chance that Sony is organizing an event of their own(Sony direct or w/e),because I doubt Sony's gonna have no major presence anywhere in 2019. So if Sony's doing something of their own,they'd certainly want Death Stranding to be part of it,along all the remaining console exclusives like Last of Us and Ghost of Tsushima. And as Shawn teased with "cu next year",it's obvious they are up to something aside from E3

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Quite the opposite actually. No way DS isn't released in 2019 imo. There's a chance that Sony is organizing an event of their own(Sony direct or w/e),because I doubt Sony's gonna have no major presence anywhere in 2019. So if Sony's doing something of their own,they'd certainly want Death Stranding to be part of it,along all the remaining console exclusives like Last of Us and Ghost of Tsushima. And as Shawn teased with "cu next year",it's obvious they are up to something aside from E3
They started "full development" in 2017. It's going to take some magic tier happenings to get a game out in ~2 years. MGS4 and MGSV took ~3 years. Death Stranding is a complete new IP, best case scenario is that it'll take the same amount of time so we're looking at a 2020 release date.

Also in 2017 Duckerman said TLoU2 was "50-60%" done, I think that with a 2019 release date it should be complete so I'd put that as a next year release in all likelihood. So it would be Days Gone and TLoU2 next year, I doubt Sony would also release DS and make it three "system sellers" in a single year and leave just Ghost as PS4 last swansong games. I think it'll be Ghost and DS for 2020. I hope I'm wrong though.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017

Tell me again how Kojima takes too long to make games. It doesn't happen, except on the odd occasion where it takes longer than average. We've also heard that SIE has never seen a game of this size be created so fast, which adds credence to them being further ahead than you think. They're not using a new engine. Decima is a very mature and fully featured engine that Kojima is working with Guerrilla Games to better tailor it towards the photo-realistic style of his game.

I don't see where you're getting the "beyond 2020" from. We know more about Death Stranding than some games that get announced and released within a year. We've heard from a trusted and verified member on here that Death Stranding is in the localisation phase, and on average games are released within 12-14 months from the start of the process. Reedus might not be dead on when he says early 2019, but I doubt he's wrong about the year.

They started "full development" in 2017. It's going to take some magic tier happenings to get a game out in ~2 years. MGS4 and MGSV took ~3 years. Death Stranding is a complete new IP, best case scenario is that it'll take the same amount of time so we're looking at a 2020 release date.

Also in 2017 Duckerman said TLoU2 was "50-60%" done, I think that with a 2019 release date it should be complete so I'd put that as a next year release in all likelihood. So it would be Days Gone and TLoU2 next year, I doubt Sony would also release DS and make it three "system sellers" in a single year and leave just Ghost as PS4 last swansong games. I think it'll be Ghost and DS for 2020. I hope I'm wrong though.
Not all games are made the same. I understand your reasoning, but Kojima has had the resources to significantly fast track the pre-production of his game and get to a point where it's going completely as planned (aside from the voice actor strike that delayed that specific part of the game). This year Sony had 2 huge system sellers (Spider-Man and God of War) as well as less big but still system sellers (Detroit and Shadow of the Colossus). It's not out of the question to have 3 massive games in a year. I mean Sony did this in the PS3 days a lot of the time. 2009, for example (Killzone 2, inFAMOUS, Uncharted 2, Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time etc.).

Last edited:

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Tell me again how Kojima takes too long to make games. It doesn't happen, except on the odd occasion where it takes longer than average. We've also heard that SIE has never seen a game of this size be created so fast, which adds credence to them being further ahead than you think. They're not using a new engine. Decima is a very mature and fully featured engine that Kojima is working with Guerrilla Games to better tailor it towards the photo-realistic style of his game.
Well he's been director of 3 major games in the past 14-15 years and if two of those have taken ~3 years then it's not really a big sample size. And in both those instances, MGS4 and MGSV, Konami have had to reign him in to get it released on time. I met using a new engine for his team, if it was the FOX engine then obviously there familiarisation with it would have reduced development time.

I don't see where you're getting the "beyond 2020" from. We know more about Death Stranding than some games that get announced and released within a year. We've heard from a trusted and verified member on here that Death Stranding is in the localisation phase, and on average games are released within 12-14 months from the start of the process. Reedus might not be dead on when he says early 2019, but I doubt he's wrong about the year.
Because like I said the last 2 major games Kojima has released in the past ~15 years have taken 3-4 years to develop. If we follow this trend and account for the fact that Konami have had to curb his feature creep tendencies and that Sony might not be doing that and instead giving him totally creative freedom then we're looking at closer to the 4 years mark and that would put it at 2021 if we believe Kojima and his teams comments about development starting in 2017.

How reliable is the user with the insider info? Sounds promising but I tend to dismiss most forum info as just rumors and BS.

Not all games are made the same. I understand your reasoning, but Kojima has had the resources to significantly fast track the pre-production of his game and get to a point where it's going completely as planned (aside from the voice actor strike that delayed that specific part of the game). This year Sony had 2 huge system sellers (Spider-Man and God of War) as well as less big but still system sellers (Detroit and Shadow of the Colossus). It's not out of the question to have 3 massive games in a year. I mean Sony did this in the PS3 days a lot of the time. 2009, for example (Killzone 2, inFAMOUS, Uncharted 2, Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time etc.).
Honestly sounds good, like I said I hope I'm wrong but I'm tending to be pessimistic this gen.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well he's been director of 3 major games in the past 14-15 years and if two of those have taken ~3 years then it's not really a big sample size. And in both those instances, MGS4 and MGSV, Konami have had to reign him in to get it released on time. I met using a new engine for his team, if it was the FOX engine then obviously there familiarisation with it would have reduced development time.
Both MGS4 and 5 required new enigines to be built from scratch. Death Stranding (as has already been pointed out) already a full developed engine, with full support by the engine's makers, as well as Sony's ICE dev support. So comparison is false.

Status
Not open for further replies.